Zero Two Plot Holes

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe someone on the writing team just didn't like the focus on a human villain and wanted to throw some Digimon opponents in for the hell of it (which is also supposedly the same reason they revealed Oikawa was manipulated by BelialVamdemon at the last second..... I'm just thankful that Kurata eventually came along to give us a true human villain that delivered in spades).
BelialVamdemon was foreshadowed since at least the Wizarmon episode, if not the first one with Vamdemon's symbol on Ken's glasses (I think it was his glasses). Sure, Kurata was better (much better), but Vamdemon had been appropiately foreshadowed.

But there's also other bullshit, like the utterly forced moral dilemma of killing Digimon over FORTY EPISODES in
I think that was a fine moral dilemma that was terribly paced. It's introduced shortly after Ken's defeat, given a cop-out solution with the enemy being fake digimon, then we got 2 mini-arcs where it wasn't focused on (BWG and the International Chosen), and finally that plotline was brought up again and resolved. Should have been resolved much earlier than that before moving onto the other plots.

As for the Tailmon stuff... I have no excuses.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember the specific details to the Wizarmon episode, so I can't really say anything on that.

I think that was a fine moral dilemma that was terribly paced. It's introduced shortly after Ken's defeat, given a cop-out solution with the enemy being fake digimon, then we got 2 mini-arcs where it wasn't focused on (BWG and the International Chosen), and finally that plotline was brought up again and resolved. Should have been resolved much earlier than that before moving onto the other plots.
Really, terrible pacing could describe most of 02 in general. Sure, Adventure wasn't without its share of pretty nothing episodes, but for the most part, it seemed to do alright balancing the growth and development of eight human+Digimon pairs and a lot of the series felt like progress was being made as a result. With 02, it's like the characters were so at leisure that they could literally treat the Digital World as a place for picnic outings. Really though, I think everyone obtained Armor Evolution WAY too fast (hell, despite Child forms being somewhat battle-capable, you almost never see the 02 Digimon have an action sequence in their base forms..... a person who only watches the anime probably wouldn't even know what their attacks are if they didn't use them for something as mundane as building a raft), which left a few episodes re-establishing the characters from the previous series...... I guess so they could apparently become relevant again once everyone's getting their 2nd Digimentals? And as was mentioned, the Holy Stones were just one big McGuffin hunt. Just a crapton of padding that really could've been trimmed down significantly.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Actual 02 plot hole:

If each Chosen Child was meant to have only one Digimental, which was only subverted by the D-Terminals, then there should be a 02 Chosen for each of the Digimentals of Friendship, Loyalty, and Purity running around.

I still don't know why that piece of dialogue was kept in, tbh.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That’s not a plot hole. Qinglongmon said they could only find three ancient-type Digimon, and two of the older partners turned out to be capable of Armor Evolution.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One question I have is why the Four Holy Beasts were not seen in 02 except for Qinglongmon, who seemed to be the only one helping the Chosen. Were the Four still recovering from their imprisonment at the hands of the Dark Masters?

Maybe someone on the writing team just didn't like the focus on a human villain and wanted to throw some Digimon opponents in for the hell of it (which is also supposedly the same reason they revealed Oikawa was manipulated by BelialVamdemon at the last second..... I'm just thankful that Kurata eventually came along to give us a true human villain that delivered in spades).
BelialVamdemon was foreshadowed since at least the Wizarmon episode, if not the first one with Vamdemon's symbol on Ken's glasses (I think it was his glasses). Sure, Kurata was better (much better), but Vamdemon had been appropiately foreshadowed.
The symbol on the Kaiser's glasses was the Mark of Evil, which isn't strictly limited to Vamdemon per se as others like Devimon have it also. That symbol seemed to suggest that he was simply under the influence of darkness.

Last edited:

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That’s not a plot hole. Qinglongmon said they could only find three ancient-type Digimon, and two of the older partners turned out to be capable of Armor Evolution.
I don't remember him saying that in the version I watched, but it's hard to parse through the Adventure universe consideirng all of the the predestination/prophecy/Homeostasis stuff.

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One thing I wondered about is the intelligence of Seadramon and Monochromon. In the second episode of the original series they are portrayed more like animals than other Digimons while in 02 they talk and seem quite intelligent especially Seadramon. Also, this might just be a thing exclusive to the dub but I remember them saying that Seadramon has a fish brain.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One thing I wondered about is the intelligence of Seadramon and Monochromon. In the second episode of the original series they are portrayed more like animals than other Digimons while in 02 they talk and seem quite intelligent especially Seadramon. Also, this might just be a thing exclusive to the dub but I remember them saying that Seadramon has a fish brain.
Was it stated theyre the exact same Seadramon and Monochromon? cuz they couldve just been different members of the same species so would have varying levels of brain power.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe Partner Digimon are just kinda special that way? I dunno.

On that note, something I found rather odd (in both the English dub and the Japanese original) is that wild Digimon like Monochromon and Tyranomon would start calling out their attack names in 02, despite having no speaking roles otherwise and despite just being roaring beasts back in Adventure. As I recall, even SkullGreymon suddenly started doing this. No rhyme or reason, this skeletal monster, whose flavor text describes its intellect as having literally rotted away, has apparently just always been able to vocalize and consciously articulate the name of its attack.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe it's a reflex. Or it's something that just happens. That is a good question though.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just remembered something: who else saw the Japanese title to episode 49, "The Last Armor Evolution", and was expecting Pucchiemon to make an appearance, possibly being this ultra powerful Armor form like Magnamon? Instead, all we get is some final montage of all the Armor evolutions due to some dimensional tomfuckery (and somehow, BelialVamdemon wasn't able to take advantage of it..... I mean, who doesn't think that having to battle Vamdemon, BelialVamdemon, AND VenomVamdemon might've had some potential to be interesting?). But I guess Pucchiemon got to appear in a CD drama, for whatever that's worth (incidentally, I often wonder if Ken's Wormmon is canonically meant to evolve into the standard red Pucchiemon, or the rarer green variant).

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just remembered something: who else saw the Japanese title to episode 49, "The Last Armor Evolution", and was expecting Pucchiemon to make an appearance, possibly being this ultra powerful Armor form like Magnamon? Instead, all we get is some final montage of all the Armor evolutions due to some dimensional tomfuckery (and somehow, BelialVamdemon wasn't able to take advantage of it..... I mean, who doesn't think that having to battle Vamdemon, BelialVamdemon, AND VenomVamdemon might've had some potential to be interesting?). But I guess Pucchiemon got to appear in a CD drama, for whatever that's worth (incidentally, I often wonder if Ken's Wormmon is canonically meant to evolve into the standard red Pucchiemon, or the rarer green variant).
Wormmon also becomes Bucchiemon in Digimon Tamers: Brave Tamer and there he evolves into the red one.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a fair point. Just found it kinda unusual that they gave a color variation to a main character's evolution that ended up not even happening in the anime, and said coloring also seems to more closely resemble the color scheme of its Child form (at least in that they're both green). Sorta reminded me of the whole "true" MetalGreymon situation.

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
From what I undestand Megakaburerimon was never red until the cartoon show. Were as orange metalgreymon actually existed before the show.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Snorki McBolderbast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Because do not dislike the English language. You might as well ask a Japanese person why he/she watches dubbed Hollywood movies.
I believe Yamato-san's point was that the English cards would have come out after the Japanese ones. If the point was to show how early the depicted monsters existed, then it would be better to use the earliest examples of their existence.