Yuko Mizutani Has Passed

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After a night of great news, unfortunately we have to end on some very sad news.

Image Thumbnail

Voice actress Yuko Mizutani has passed away due to complications from breast cancer according to Oricon.

To Digimon fans Mizutani would be best known as the voice of Sora in Digimon Adventure and Zero-Two in the original Japanese language version. She also voiced Otamamon and Taichi and Hikari's mother, among a few other roles (it appears in at least one episode she also played Koushiro's mother.)

She had a long history as a voice actor playing such well loved characters like Mihoshi from Tenchi, Sakiko Sakura in Chibi Maruko-chan, Buffy in the Japanese dub of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Minnie Mouse in various titles, and many other roles.

She was 51 years old.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good Lord... I will admit I myself have not yet fully moved on from Wada Kouji's passing and now this.

This.. This is too much to bear and even fathom as of the moment.

...I could only express heartfelt condolences to her loved ones and close friends. As well as pray, and wish utmost happiness and peace for her soul.

Last edited:

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
R.I.P. Yuko :'(
Seriously man, just end 2016 now. Too many good people dying.

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Geeze, I think almost every major entertainment industry death lately has been cancer.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh man. Not another one. How many Digimon veterans is cancer going to take from us? Age 51? That's way too young to go.

Though, did she voice Taichi's and Hikari's mother in tri. as well, or was something else playing that role?

She was also presently voicing Ikuko Tsukino, mother of Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, in Sailor Moon Crystal.

ChibiGoku

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh man. Not another one. How many Digimon veterans is cancer going to take from us? Age 51? That's way too young to go.

Though, did she voice Taichi's and Hikari's mother in tri. as well, or was something else playing that role?

From what I could tell, Piyomon's VA took over as Taichi/Hikari's mother.

NekoHaruko

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm surprised no one posted this yet.

It breaks my heart to hear another person taken by cancer so young. Mizutani was such a great Sora, and her voice even rings in my head today as I went to work. Funny moments like Piyomon being too attaching at the start of Adventure and Piyomon thinking there were millions of Soras was hilarious. The heart warming moments of Birdramon's evolution to Garudamon and reunions with Piyomon in 02.. She will be very missed. Thank you Mizutani Yuko for the memories..

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another tragic loss, too young. First Wada Kouji and now Yuko Mizutani. Takenouchi Sora is my favorite human character in Digimon, so sad to hear cancer took another life from our franchise. We'll never forget her.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

From what I could tell, Piyomon's VA took over as Taichi/Hikari's mother.
Alright, that's a nice passing of the torch.

Seraphimon-T.K.

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's sad indeed :( She had a very gentle and smooth voice!

Apashi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's hard to believe the fandom has lost two major talents within months of each other. Both at too young an age. I didn't realize she was still voicing Ikuko. That somehow makes it sadder to know that she was still working. I don't know about all of you, but I was hoping that at some point all of the old voice actors and actresses would come back in Tri. Maybe in a flashback or something. Now that really can't happen.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't even have words. Cancer has taken away two important figures in Digimon (three, if we take into account a dub actor in the latinamerican version). That sickness is horrible.

There's been so many people who passed away with cancer in general.

It's so horrible.

Apashi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
(people seem to be forgetting Paul Gordon *dub music guy*)

It really has been a rubbish year for the fandom...
Yeah I definitely didn't forget about him. It's awful. It's worth noting that over 10 years ago, Takanori Arisawa also passed away at a young age due to cancer. I know it was a long time ago, but his music really influenced the feeling of the original 4 seasons, and Tri.

Mischief_Managed

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is so sad! I don't have words... God 2016 and cancer are taking so many people we love away. Rest in peace Yuko, our eternal Sora