Your best Pokémon memories?

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What are your best memories with Pokémon?

As a child playing Red and Blue, I did not speak English and I had to figure everything out just by walking around and talking with people and spamming the attacks that dealt damage. I had seen the anime and I was so excited every time I reached locations, characters or Pokémon from the anime.

When I later started seeing TV commercials of Gold and Silver and wished it so badly for Christmas and when I got it for Christmas, I forgot all about celebrating further with my family, lol, I started playing and was immediately absorbed. It was so amazing to see new Pokémon in addition to the original 151 and to travel this new great world.

And when I then reached Kanto in Gold and Silver... Oh boy, I was so excited to see how things had changed there since Red and Blue.

Later, in LeafGreen, I caught a shiny Geodude and shiny Zubat in one day. I was astonished. That day is the only day I ever met shiny Pokémon, if we don't count the red Gyarados.

IamTheSovereign

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have a single 'best' memory...I've so many to count...

*Getting Pokemon Yellow for Christmas
*Finding my first Shiny - a Zigzagoon
*Discovering and reading the Pokemon Adventures Manga
*Watching Ash defeat Gary in the Johto League, Paul in the Sinnoh League, etc.
*Completing a Pokedex for the first time - Sapphire
*Completing my first Nuzlocke and my first Monotype playthroughs
*Finding a Shiny Golbat and a Shiny Donphan in the same HeartGold Nuzlocke - in the same place.

...and many, many more...

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are only 2 that stand out to me.
1: Completing the National Dex in Leaf Green (excluding the mythical pokemon that were unavailable)
2: Completing the National Dex in Alpha Sapphire (INCLUDING all of the mythical pokemon) but I did this like a month after Sun and Moon came out so I had to start all over

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have a single 'best' memory...I've so many to count...

*Getting Pokemon Yellow for Christmas
*Finding my first Shiny - a Zigzagoon
*Discovering and reading the Pokemon Adventures Manga
*Watching Ash defeat Gary in the Johto League, Paul in the Sinnoh League, etc.
*Completing a Pokedex for the first time - Sapphire
*Completing my first Nuzlocke and my first Monotype playthroughs
*Finding a Shiny Golbat and a Shiny Donphan in the same HeartGold Nuzlocke - in the same place.

...and many, many more...
The manga was definetely great and every Pokémon fan should read it! :)

Yeah, Ash finally beating Gary was epic.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have one memory but I do remember Gen 2. Having some fun playing it. Getting Crystal(and a new VCR) for a birthday since I got to take the day off from school. ...That's all I can remember now.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*WarGreymon Terra Forcing Charizard into oblivion.

*Completing the Pokedex on Red. Oddly enough my 151st Pokemon was the version mascot itself, Charizard.

*Too many memories of Pokemon Gold, which is probably my favourite entry in the series. An odd one occurred when me and my family were on holiday in Portugal: I happened to befriend a kid who was also playing the game, and he noticed that I had Mew - which I copied over from Red by way of the infamous cloning glitch. He practically begged me to trade Mew, going so far as to exchange his Ho-oh for it. I was reluctant to have him trade me a legendary that you can only get one of in the game, but I ended up with two Ho-ohs anyway so oh well XD;

*Ant & Dec's skits before airing episodes of the anime on SMTV Live. They would take random objects and have a mock Pokemon battle with them.

*The first few episodes of the anime are nostalgic, but beyond that I don't care enough to rewatch.

*FireRed rejuvenating my interest after I skipped over Ruby/Sapphire.

*Pokemon Origins. The one time anything Pokemon anime caught my interest again. It was short, but sweet.

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
- N's story in Pokemon Black/White
- Me playing my first Pokemon game: Pokemon Crystal and just overlevel to breakthrough the entirenity of game
- Seeing Hilbert saving N in Pokemon Generations, the music gave and memories and wish-fulfillment because Hilda/Hilbert doesn't become like Red in B2W2 made me cry.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Playing Pokemon Gold EVERYWHERE as a kid on my green gameboy color and finally defeating Red with my level 81 Meganium.

Finally getting to see how Ash beat Sabrina when I went to a friend who had the episodes on VHS (I had the Psychic Surprise on VHS tape which collected Ghost of Maiden's Peak, Bye Bye Butterfree, and Abra and the Psychic Showdown so I didn't know how he beat Sabrina and the episodes never seem to be on Kidswb when I watched it on tv)

Seeing Pokemon 2000 in theaters

Watching Pokemon The First Movie on VHS for the first time

Me and my friends staying up all night basically watching a good 30 or so episodes of Pokemon since the friend whose house we were staying at basically owned all the Pokemon VHS tapes

And a more recentish memory my freshman year of college (about 7 years ago yikes) performing the Mew glitch for the first time and catching a Mew

Dark Storm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Earning badges in the Pokemon Trading Card Game League at Zany Brainy. I especially remember trying to collect all the original 150 cards. Actually, my mom did most of that for me. I remember her going around Zany Brainy, Toys R Us, and Borders (they all did the TCG leagues then) yelling out "Does anyone have a Charizard/Blastoise?" And then we'd see if I had anything they wanted to trade for. So much fun, but I sucked at the game. Only did get 3 or 4 badges that I can remember. But it was fun.

pepito123

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked the games, training a pokemon and playing with link vs other players were my best memories of Pokemon.
I've never been too fond of the anime. Just seen about 20 episodes. But the games are quite good.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Beating the Rival in Pokemon Blue; Mario Kart 64 notwithstanding, I think that was the first video game I officially beat, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Takatofan1986

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sneaking my game boy into Junior High and playing Yellow during study hall.

Getting up for JHS at 5:45 when I didn't have to get up until 6:20ish, so I could watch Pokemon at 6 and 630.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Christmas day, opening my first ever pack of Pokemon cards and pulling Charizard in front of my extremely pissed off brother

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
Honestly Gold and Silver was my gen as a kid but I only really could describe being fond of those games. I didn't have a lot of friends as a kid so the Pokemon I raised where in a lot of ways my friends(The same for Digimon too). It's kinda silly but I'd become overly attached to them and never have more than six of them at at time because I was afraid that leaving them in the PC was equivalent to abandonment. On top of that as a kid I really did not like seeing Pokemon faint, and because of that I avoided battles whenever possible. I'll admit those habits stuck around any time I'd pick up a Pokemon game.

Many years later I bought my older brother's 3DS off him and among the games he gave to me with it was a copy of White. To date it is my favorite Pokemon game by leagues. There are just a lot of little things that connected to me within that game that makes it full of precious memories, I really could gush about it for hours. What really stands in my memory about that game the first time I played it is N. Seeing emotions and feelings reflected in his character that I understood from my own insecurities really made him spring to life. That made me want to help him, then later it accumulated into proving that his solution wasn't the right one for his own sake. A motive that honestly drew out many emotions as I played the game and made it a richer experience compared to simply just beating the game for the sake of beating it. In the end it encouraged me to improve how I played these games and eventually break through my own bad habits. Because of that I'm actually working on starting shiny breeding in Y and I've almost finished completing the national dex for the first time ever(Sans a lot of Legendary Pokemon). I did play White 2 and I really did like it, but it did not hit the same emotions. I got a lot of amusement out of the NPCS wondering where the main character of BW had gone with Zekrom. When in reality I used the same name as my previous character, Zekrom was in the PC box(He was brought out to help raid the Plasma frigate), and to top it off I did use memory link.

The second best memory was getting an Eevee in Y. I had been looking forward to Y the moment I heard Amie was going to be a thing. My joy was compounded upon finding out wild Eevees where also in game. So as soon as I catch one I pop open Amie and the Eevee is making cute Eevee noises. I squee loudly, the mic picks up on the noise and Eevee responds by making more cute Eevee noises. As a result the frequency of my squee increases by the power of 2.

Jon Snow

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are too many to count. Pokémon was a huge part of my childhood. It was quite a big moment for me when I discovered the glitch to unlock Mew next to Lavender Town.

DragonicEmperor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My Swampert in Sapphire hitting level 100. It was the first ever Pokémon I trained to Level 100.

Also, the cutscene where you awaken Reshiram in N's Castle. The whole story led up to it and then you awaken it at the climax in such an epic way.

Kakashi_Hatake

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Missingno glitches in Pokemon blue.
Pokemon Gold in general. Also, finally finding Lugia in Pokemon Gold. That took me ages as a kid.
Getting Pokemon Emerald when I was 11. Picked Torchic. When I saw Pokemon Advanced on TV I thought Torchic and Tailow were the cutest things.
Was happy to get them.
Excited to battle Norman at the Pokemon gym. You get to battle your *dad*! That was emotional for a kid. xD
Getting Pokemon Diamond for my 12th birthday, Piplup was my choice.
Teaming up with Riley at the battle tower. Because I had an anime crush on Sir Aaron x'D
Considering above, Pokemon Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.
Arguing with my friend about who was better, Riley or Sir Aaron. I had the crush on Aaron they had one on Riley. xD Fun times.
Going to a Pokemon event the first time, I got a Darkrai. 2008.
Getting Nintendo Wifi back in the day and trading around the world was quite darn exciting. Before that I've never traded before (bar 1 time between myself at a friends house.)
(Never got to trade with friends :/ )
Watching my trade on the GTS website.
Getting Pokemon Platinum....
Going to the store to get Arceus.
Getting HGSS.
Trading Arceus to HG and SS to get level 1 Palkia, Dialga and Giratina.
Going to get Mew and Jirachi in 2010 or whenever it was.
Renting out VHS of Pokemon the First Movie and Pokemon 2000 everytime I went to the video shop.
Getting some DVDs of Pokemon. Pokemon 4Ever was one of my favourites.
Getting anything Pokemon related when I was a kid was the best. I got a Pikachu teddy which was nice but I wanted Torchic x'D. (I still have it to this day.)
Pikachu wasn't my favourite.
Getting my favourite Pokemon on my team such as Skarmory and Tyranitar.
Steven Stone is still one hot a** mofo.
Finally arriving at the elite four in White. However by that time I somewhat was growing out of Pokemon and the game was in Japanese, so not as exciting as it may have been.

Not so great memories- at this point in time I was just more curious what GF did with Pokemon, so I wasn't into it:
Y was boring
Sun and Moon... too... I don't know, I am older now and so it was a bit kiddish and lame for me.
Ultra Moon...
ORAS was ok. Too easy. Not as hard as Emerald. No Battle Frontier. Psh.

Last edited:

Zouka

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I grew up in the UK, and back then games would come out significantly later than in the US. When Generation 2 was about to be released in Japan, the gaming magazines had sprites and artwork (much of which, in hindsight, was fake). It all seemed so mysterious.

Then, one day I was shopping with my sister and my Mum. I was 14 and she was 12, we were the perfect age for Pokémon. We went into this little game store, and there was one copy of Gold, and one of Silver. The owner had imported just one of each from America. This was a good eight months before they would be released in the UK. We begged our mother, and eventually she caved and bought them for us as she could see how important they were to us.

Playing through a region nobody really knows about, with no anime airing yet, and nobody to share it with but my sister, was a magical experience and one of my top gaming memories of all my life. Gold added so much to the game, and we discovered it almost blind. We kept pace with each other but played in separate rooms and would discuss our findings during dinner and so on. When we discovered Kanto, well, nobody had ever imagined that would happen!

That first play through of Gold will always be my peak Pokémon gaming memory.