Xros Wars Pilot Dub Info

NewsBot

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had hoped to wait for confirmation from some more people, but as information has seemingly begun to leak it seemed prudent to go ahead and make a post.

I should also mention, if it's only mentioned on IMDB or Wikipedia it won't be mentioned in this article.

William Winckler Prouductions appears to have produced a dub for Xros Wars under contract for Toei.

Caleb Pearson has 'Digimon Untitled Series' on his credits as the lead actor for Disney XD/Bandai. Caleb was previously affiliated with WWP for other anime dubs.

Sean Hankinson has also added a credit for 'Digimon Xcross Wars' to his resume with the character name of 'Kenny', with WWP listed as the production company.

Marieve Herington also has added a credit for 'Digimon Fusion Battles' as a lead character named 'Dorothy' with the company credit listed as Toei and WWP. She was also cast in prior WWP anime dubs.

Bryan Forrest also lists 'Digimon Fushion Battles' and an untitled lead for WWP.

Now, for the twist to this all...

Outside of their classic Tekkaman: The Space Knight dub decades ago, none of WWP's anime dubs have ever been released commercially, despite all being official dubs funded by Toei.

The dubs they did a few years ago for Toei were shows compressed down to a series of films, which apparently were never intended for commercial release, but rather cheaply made English dubs to send to potential production companies for promotional use (having a highly compressed but English language copy to send to potential companies being a good idea as far as trying to sell the series go, especially if Toei doesn't intend to do this one themselves, as they did with Savers/Data Squad.)

So short version- There is a Xros Wars dub floating out there that is likely highly edited (and potentially compressed into a series of films.) It seems very unlikely that we will ever SEE this dub though. So try and keep calm.

More information to be added as it is available (a prior press contact at WWP has already been contacted, I was hoping to wait to do this article until I had a statement, but information began to spill out, and I felt a central place for information would be a good idea.)

Edit 1- Someone PMed me claiming a thread on Baidu has the English logo. I had noticed this before and dismissed it. It has the name of a deviantart artist on the picture who makes fanmade logos (a few of which have been Digimon related.) The artist also has had it up on his account for around a month and makes no claim that it is official. It will not be added to the article.

Edit 2- Since some people may have never seen any sort of marketing dub before, I thought linking to an example might help. I don't know of any compilation or full episodes that are up anywhere, but Toei Europe has a selection of shorter trailers. Here's one for the 1997 version of Dr. Slump- Trailer Link

I'm not saying that the WWP dub for Xros Wars IS for marketing purposes mind you, but it seems likely.

Edit 3- Confirmation from a manager at WWP. The dubs were pilots meant for demographic test audiences. Multiple pilot dubs were done for Xros. The show apparently tested very positively. Winckler also met with Xros Wars producer Hiroyuki Sakurada during the production of the pilot dubs, no idea what involvement if any he had in the pilot dub though. Three pilot dubs were also done for 'Pretty Cure 5'.

I've also received confirmation that the past dubbed compilation films have indeed been released, just in an unexpected place. They've aired on Toei's Broadband Channel, marketed to English speaking fans in Japan. So those dubs have been released, just not in normal English speaking markets.

It was also mentioned that Toei USA was not involved with any of these productions, all of them were from Toei Japan, with Kozo Morishita (Vice President of Toei Animation Japan) supervising and guiding the production.

So that appears to be the end of the story. Pilots that likely will never be released. Perhaps as an extra on a DVD someday (As I recall the Voltron DVDs had three different pilots for the first episode.)

Thanks to William Winckler Productions for clarification.

Article name was changed to reflect this new information.

-- <span style="font-variant: small-caps; font-size: 9pt;">godofchaos</span>

Source: http:// ()

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: Xros Wars Potential Preliminary Dub Info

While I won't be posting any information from IMDB or from sources of that nature, others are welcome to post and theorize based on them.

I will also say this isn't the only current 'marketing dub' that WWP seems to be doing 'at the moment'.

Another one listed for some of the actors on their resumes is 'Precure 5.'

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Well, two of the hideous names are apparently confirmed.

Extremesonic101

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=TMS link=topic=16331.msg213844#msg213844 date=1310952864]
Well, two of the hideous names are apparently confirmed.
[/quote]
THIS, I'm really hoping this isn't "official" the names feel so bland in comparison, do we even know who the two would be?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Dorothy is Akari. Kenny is either Kiriha or Yuu (the other would be Carlton if the imdb thing is correct). Then, also, Taiki would be Gerry and Nene would be Nancy.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Extremesonic101 link=topic=16331.msg213854#msg213854 date=1310958057]
THIS, I'm really hoping this isn't "official" the names feel so bland in comparison, do we even know who the two would be?
[/quote]

Plenty of shows have been retitled and had name changes purely to market for the show to be sold, never being released with any of those alterations.. Utena's marketing title is "Ursala's Kiss" and it wasn't released with that title. We know with 02 Toei had marketing names they gave to Saban and Saban ignored those.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The article has been updated again with specific information on what the dub is.

This may also explain why some of the actors list being a lead, but don't give a character name. Different pilot dubs could have different 'goals' and might have different names.

Lucifer Angel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure what to make of this.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kind of amused that after 3 years all the information about the older Winckler/Toei dubs are now fully known.

Togemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice that it apparantly has tested positive ^_^ This is kinda good news right?

By the way LOL at the names. Does that mean they may have used Eduardo for Zenjirou? I love how they "Americanize" the Japanese name into a Hispanic name. <3

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The thing about doing pilot dubs generally means they are trying to lock down an audience rather than specifically just go 'edit it down'.

If that is all they planned to do Toei has evidence to take that path already, they don't need pilots to do it.

Frankly, it's technically good news.

If it was just Toei doing it it would likely get limited marketing support like Data Squad did.

If they are making pilots, they hope to sell it, which can lead to more Digimon.

Especially for a toyetic franchise, finding a network or cable partner, a studio, a toy company, willing to be involved at a high level can lead to more Digimon.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lets hope this leads to an actual dub then?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=~ The Chaos Entity ~ link=topic=16331.msg213887#msg213887 date=1310975982]
Lets hope this leads to an actual dub then?
[/quote]

The hope of any pilot is it catches a companies eye.

It's pretty rare for anime though, unless the company that owns the license is aiming quite high.

I may give some examples of anime pilots and non anime pilots that had wild and radical changes by the time they got to air, since some people seem a bit concerned due to the name changes here (later in the thread if I feel it might help.)

Here's a non-anime pilot fact many of you likely didn't know that might help illustrate how wild the changes from pilot to 'series' can be...

Lost in Space- The pilot for the original Lost in Space did not have Dr. Smith.... or the robot.

Devkyu

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly hoping Saban picks it up.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the practices of how anime dubs are done nowadays, it's pretty sad that they still think they have to localize so much with this in order for it to work.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Lucifer Angel link=topic=16331.msg213872#msg213872 date=1310965210]
I'm not sure what to make of this.
[/quote]
I second this as I am somewhat confused.

[quote author=Vande Chan link=topic=16331.msg213879#msg213879 date=1310970281]
Oh jesus christ....Dorothy and Kenny? Really?
[/quote]
Yes. Horrible names. Could we try harder? Data Squad had good names.

AgumonKid

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fuck you TOIE U.S!!!! Its like they don't give a shit about Digimon anymore Sorry I mean they don't give a shit about Digimon anymore! Do they really need to make international rights for every season? Can't they get a regular company to dub it. They did it with all there other shows, having well known companies that have quality dubs with quality anime. It's not that hard!

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=AgumonKid link=topic=16331.msg213927#msg213927 date=1311041656]
Fuck you TOIE U.S!!!! Its like they don't give a shit about Digimon anymore Sorry I mean they don't give a shit about Digimon anymore! Do they really need to make international rights for every season? Can't they get a regular company to dub it. They did it with all there other shows, having well known companies that have quality dubs with quality anime. It's not that hard!
[/quote]
READ.

THE.

ORIGINAL.

POST.