X-Antibody Digimon in the Digimon Accel

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's been discussion recently as to whether all the Digimon that use their X-Antibody sprites in the Digimon Accel are actually supposed to be their X-Antibody forms or not, since not all of them use their X-Antibody profiles on the old Bandai website. Does anyone happen to own a booklet or something that came with the Accel, that might shine some light on the subject?

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nothing I can see in the manual, so it's hard to say. On the official website, some Digimon use their X artwork while others don't, so certainly SOME of them are definitely meant to be the X-Antibody forms. The Agumon line on Justice for example is debatable, while Garudamon X is not.

Since the information is conflicting, I would personally say that whatever is actually on the pet is the final word, and that since the X sprites were used, they are X-Antibody Digimon. After all, the Accel did not shy away from featuring several clear cases of X Digimon, and featured the X antibody as a gameplay element.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There do not appear to be any additional clues in the Ultimate Genome guidebook.

For the Agumon line my best guess is that the marketing team got mixed up and was not talking to the development team. Every case of these Digimon in promotional materials show the regular art with the X sprites. Which way it was supposed to go is anyone's guess. They developers just finish the Pendulum X series though, so the coders may have just grabbed the most recent sprite set. In this case, the error could be on either the marketing or the programmers.

That said, I would assert that Dukemon and Omegamon are definitively meant to be X-Digimon. Each of these two feature on a limited give-away Digimon Accel Design Sheet and are shown in their regular forms. And like the Agumon this is true for other promotional materials, posters, and on DDP chips. But in-game they are only accessible by filling the X point gauge being full resulting in the evolution into their X-form. Clearly the gameplay mechanic of connecting to the Pendulum X, gathering X points, and evolving into an X Digimon (sprite), indicates the intention for (at least) these two Digimon to be in their X-forms. So for this one I blame the marketing team explicitly.

As for the cause of the mixup, remember this was a VERY experimental toy release. It was the first non-Pendulum virtual pet toy after three generations, introduced a brand new gimmick, was not based on an Digivice, and for the first time featured collectible chips that were sold-separately. And it came out at the tail end of the Hyper Colosseum card game and during the three-year anime hiatus. I believe Bandai was just trying to figure out something (anything!) after Frontier ended and they were probably pretty scattered.

Resources also might have been an issue. Looking at the timeline the Accels came out between March and November of 2005, and the release of the first Mini was also in November. The following March (2006) saw the launch of the second Mini, the release of the Digimon Savers anime, and the Digivice iC, and production on all of this likely occurred during the bulk of 2005 during the Accels release schedule. That is a lot to do in a year for what would serve to be a Digimon rebranding of sorts (back to basics), so its reasonable there were some hiccups in consistency for the Accel (which I affirm was an experimental stop-gap for the franchise).

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly I think the above is enough to make the case for the Sprites being used as the final word, because you're right: if Omegamon X and Dukemon X are requiring X-points to achieve, then the intention is clearly that they are X Digimon. And if those two are incorrectly represented in the artwork on promotional materials, including the website, then that calls into question the accuracy of said materials.