Would you like more lgbt representation in digimon?

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This thought came to my mind while recently completing Hackers Memory. I'll try not to spoil anything, but I was honestly pretty shocked with what they did with Yu's character. In the best way possible too. They really weren't holding anything back when it came to portraying him as a gay character who struggles with his sexuality and feelings that he can't control. Really beautiful. It made me wonder why it took so long for something like this to pop in digimon when it's always been a franchise that touched on such personal subjects.

Sure, with how large of a franchise Digimon is, it's no surprise that there are a few lgbt characters, or at least some heavily implied to be, scattered throughout the series. For digimon we've got Lordknightmon from Frontier and Gaomon from Savers, and for humans we've got Yuuko, Fei, and as previously stated, Yu from the cyber sleuth series. I would very much like to add Haru and Yuujin to this list but I know that's pretty debatable lol But I think it's about time we've gotten a gay character in the anime that's more than just a passing joke more mere implication. It doesn't even have to be relevant to the overall plot, just to know that there's a character who is in fact gay would be enough for me. How about you? Would you like to see more casual representation in the series?

boredmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
gaomon is gay?
didn't really got it from watching

sure that's not the same as lgbt representation but digimon has so many fujoshi pandering that i'm kinda tired of %90 of the things that are worth shipping being yaoi, kinda want hetero or yuri ships

well, maybe an actual gay character rather than the taichi yamato kind of shipbaiting could be unique, but can we really complain about lgbt representation when there isn't any hetero romance that isn't done for comedy or came out of nowhere?

Last edited:

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This thought came to my mind while recently completing Hackers Memory. I'll try not to spoil anything, but I was honestly pretty shocked with what they did with Yu's character. In the best way possible too. They really weren't holding anything back when it came to portraying him as a gay character who struggles with his sexuality and feelings that he can't control. Really beautiful. It made me wonder why it took so long for something like this to pop in digimon when it's always been a franchise that touched on such personal subjects.
But if you pick the "I love you" option, it gets followed up with "gotcha" or something. That was really mean!

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But if you pick the "I love you" option, it gets followed up with "gotcha" or something. That was really mean!
I was so disappointed by that but I guess they really wanted to push the Keisuke and Erika relationship : (
gaomon is gay?

sure that's not the same as lgbt representation but digimon has so many fujoshi pandering that i'm kinda tired of %90 of the things that are worth shipping being yaoi, kinda want hetero or yuri ships

well, maybe an actual gay character rather than the taichi yamato kind of shipbaiting could be unique, but can we really complain about lgbt representation when there isn't any hetero romance that isn't done for comedy or came out of nowhere?
Gaomon might be more up in the air but in the final episode special, Lalamon and Agumon tease Gaomon about his feelings for Touma. Where Gaomon starts to get flustered when he comes to the realization that his feelings for Touma might be romantic. I think it's pretty comparable to Dokamon and Eri actually.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i don´t mind lgbt characters if they are good written, they shoudn´t be included just for the purpose of being lgbt.
in any case, does it really come up that much? they mostly have to deal with more importnat things then that, though i guess the shipping in Digimon will always be strong, then again those are mostly just hints at who has a crush on whoever and mostly ain´t a big relationship in the series, i kinda feel that we ain´t gonna get much beyond shipping be it hetero or homo.

boredmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was so disappointed by that but I guess they really wanted to push the Keisuke and Erika relationship : (
gaomon is gay?

Gaomon might be more up in the air but in the final episode special, Lalamon and Agumon tease Gaomon about his feelings for Touma. Where Gaomon starts to get flustered when he comes to the realization that his feelings for Touma might be romantic. I think it's pretty comparable to Dokamon and Eri actually.
which special? i only watched the normal anime
i don't really think they would imply digimon x human without it being portrayed as comedy (even though i'm a ruki x rena shipper.)

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meh we're fine. There's two gays in HM. I guess you could say they could put gay people to the anime but we don't NEED gay characters we need GOOD characters. If that character happens to be gay then cool. We don't need them shoe horned in to make up a quota.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?

Anyways, sure, I guess? The anime never really goes all the way with that stuff in the first place, just teasing with everybody. I'm fine with it as long as it falls under the usual conditions of not detracting from the main story, not being just a joke, etc. I'd particularly like if they didn't pull something like they did with Haru again, where he's introduced as head over heels for Ai, and then half way through the show he suddenly shifts all of his thoughts to Yuujin. That goes for all romances/characters of course, not just lgbt ones.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would be quite pleased to see more in the future, being lesbian myself I like seeing positive representation. I hated what they did with Yu though! Going into spoilers here so turn back now if you don’t want them! I disliked that the whole plotline with K took up such a large chunk of the game, and then got pretty much completely abandoned after you defeat Matadormon, barring the one little scene at the end of the game where Yu comes back to help you. He was gay, got manipulated by a Digimon, then everything involving that was pretty much abandoned. It felt like they were too afraid to really deal with him as a character after the reveal, and it made the pacing in the game feel super bad.

Digimon is a franchise that has always had a strong appeal to adult women in Japan due to its whole queerbaiting thing though, I highly doubt that is going anywhere. Since people keep mentioning the potential for a Tamers sequel that is aimed at adults, I would love to see Ruki confirmed as being lesbian. Currently I think the closest we have to a canon gay character in the anime would be Haru and Yuujin, which I did like a lot

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be totally honest, I don't really care. I'm not into Digimon for the romance. I'm really not a romantic person at all – despite being technically straight, for all practical purposes I'm asexual (I guess what people would call aromantic), and have a hard time even caring about heterosexual romantic pairings. As far as Digimon goes, a character's sexuality rarely has a bearing on the plot anyway, and I have no problem with that. Nothing wrong with gay characters, but as others have said, quota-filling and tokenism should be avoided.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think Yuuko is gay at all. Or even straight. I'd say she's asexual. She's a mid 20s girl and the only thing she gives a shit about is eating. Even in the "dating events" with her in Hacker's Memory, she just talks about food and asks if Keisuke is making sure to eat. You COULD count that as a "hint she likes Keisuke" but if you do, that's her stright not gay. Still though she's likely either Asexual or foodsexual

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?

Anyways, sure, I guess? The anime never really goes all the way with that stuff in the first place, just teasing with everybody. I'm fine with it as long as it falls under the usual conditions of not detracting from the main story, not being just a joke, etc. I'd particularly like if they didn't pull something like they did with Haru again, where he's introduced as head over heels for Ai, and then half way through the show he suddenly shifts all of his thoughts to Yuujin. That goes for all romances/characters of course, not just lgbt ones.
I listed the others because other characters in their respective series have openly considered them gay and there's enough evidence to back them up. As much as I would like to consider Haru and Yuujin, the only one who seemed to think they had a thing was Gatchmon when they were on their date.
which special? i only watched the normal anime
i don't really think they would imply digimon x human without it being portrayed as comedy (even though i'm a ruki x rena shipper.)
http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Agumon!_Gaomon!_Lalamon!_Explosion!_The_Off-screen_Last_Battle!
It is played off more as comedy, like when Nokia is poking fun at Fei for liking Yuuko.
Agumon: Who do you think is more important to Tohma? Gaomon or Relena?
Gaomon: You shouldn’t even bother comparing that! The bond between me and master is… my love for master is…! But then…! But… um…
Lalamon: I think we just flicked on a switch that we shouldn’t have…
I don't think Yuuko is gay at all. Or even straight. I'd say she's asexual. She's a mid 20s girl and the only thing she gives a shit about is eating. Even in the "dating events" with her in Hacker's Memory, she just talks about food and asks if Keisuke is making sure to eat. You COULD count that as a "hint she likes Keisuke" but if you do, that's her stright not gay. Still though she's likely either Asexual or foodsexual
Oh yeah I totally see Yuuko as being asexual as well. Especially when she says to Keisuke that Fei is on another level than anybody, but she wouldn't exactly call her a girlfriend. I consider asexuality as lgbt too though which is why I listed her in this thread.

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Could they try? Maybe. But pulling it off sensibly is the harder thing and it might simply not be worth the effort or risk.

It made me wonder why it took so long for something like this to pop in digimon when it's always been a franchise that touched on such personal subjects.
Because it's a Japanese franchise targeted at children. In a medium where there's isn't that big of a chance of homosexuality to be used as something other than a punchline or worse.

I feel that the creators don't really have much impact on who or what fans want to ship and besides the odd tease and neither have fan tendencies that much of an impact on future products.

So it's "proof" from a non-canon special that consists mostly of fourth wall breaking snide comments and let's not forget that right before this, Gaomon alleges that "Master's feelings for Miss Relena aren't ordinary." which would quite unfortunate to take take seriously.

foodsexual
I believe there was also some slight subtext in tri that Agumon might swing in that direction.

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not something I really thought about until recently, given that the TV animes follow young kids and thus even heterosexual romance is bearly touched upon.

I certainly don't mind it, but like romance in general, I'd wouldn't want it to be a character's defining trait.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly have to say, that I do not get, why everybody is talking about romance. You guys are aware that characters can be gay, without actually being in a relationship, right? I mean, a character can just say, that they are gay or a lesbian or whatever. No relationship required. Heck, adding an officially aroace character would also be interesting. Just saying.

And being transgender or gender nonconforming would also totally not require any romance whatsoever. It would just require talking about it. A bit. Just a tiny bit.

Even though: Yes, it would be awesome to have an officially gay couple in the series. Though I consider Haru/Yuujin (by the way: Eri makes notice of that one, too, not only Gatchmon) probably the closest we will get in that regard.

Oh, and then there is Manga!Nene. Who basically is saying, she is into whoever, if the person can impress her. She is hitting hard on Akari and in that scene is basically outright saying, that she is pansexual.

Generally I think it would perfectly fit the Digimon formular, as Digimon has always had a core topic of "children/young teen dealing with normal problems, while fighting big bad monsters together with their cute monster companions". And having trouble accepting the own sexuality or to come out to ones parents would certainly be such a topic.

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?.
Agreed.

I don't know Digimon games very much, but I think Haru x Yuujin is the closest to LGBT what we get. At least in the anime. Maybe except Koushirou saying to Tentomon that he loves him in the last episode of Adventure.

I certainly don't mind having that subject in Digimons, I would like if they would take it seriously if they would wanted to include it in the series. I wouldn't really want it to turn into a comedy element.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?.
Agreed.

I don't know Digimon games very much, but I think Haru x Yuujin is the closest to LGBT what we get. At least in the anime. Maybe except Koushirou saying to Tentomon that he loves him in the last episode of Adventure.

I certainly don't mind having that subject in Digimons, I would like if they would take it seriously if they would wanted to include it in the series. I wouldn't really want it to turn into a comedy element.

Well, Fei and Yu are outright confirmed gay. Fei is in a one sided love with Yuuko, who care more about food (but does state that Fei is "special to her" and Fei accepts this), whist Yu is in a one sided love for Keisuke, who canon loves Erika (which is proven canon as a Lotosmon has the power to have the person youre in love with appear into your mind and then tries to trick you into giving up your credit card info. Keisuke was about to do it until he was attacked by Erika herself like wtf are you doing retard situation. he then never states WHO he saw, cuz shy 16 year old.

So I guess maybe a "closest to two who could actually date" but for actual real LGBT, we have two. I'm sure one day Yu will find a big sexy muscle man to cuddle him and shit.

Poor Fei though, she's yandere level for Yuuko, so she'll never find another girl she wants lol

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly have to say, that I do not get, why everybody is talking about romance. You guys are aware that characters can be gay, without actually being in a relationship, right? I mean, a character can just say, that they are gay or a lesbian or whatever. No relationship required. Heck, adding an officially aroace character would also be interesting. Just saying.

And being transgender or gender nonconforming would also totally not require any romance whatsoever. It would just require talking about it. A bit. Just a tiny bit.
I myself discuss it in terms of romance because without romance a character's sexual orientation is sort of a moot point. People and characters don't usually announce their sexual orientation apropos of nothing. It would be weird to have a character just say, "Hey guys, I'm gay. Thought you should know." I guess it might come up if you have a villain molesting someone, but Digimon doesn't really do that sort of thing.