Worried About The Security Mechanic

Taso

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm really excited and looking forward to this game, but I do have one worry. I'm wondering how much the randomness of the Security Cards can affect the future of the game.

Now, I don't know much about the competitive scenes of card games, which is why I made this thread to hope to understand it more. To those with more knowledge on this subject- how do other card games with this security/guardian mechanic fare competitively? Do they last long?

I have played the demo by the way. It does feel unfortunate whenever I attack with an Ultimate and a Mega gets flipped over. Perhaps there will be a lot more cards that come out that can mitigate these chances. I've had a lot of fun, though.

I guess part of what irks me is that security cards are random to both players. They didn't strategically use resources to place the card face down on the field or anything (and they don't have to use resources to use security effects once flipped over). Potentially overpowered cards just get spawned. To be fair, it could also be argued that this places higher importance on deck consistency and construction... But I'm not sure if that is a strong enough reasoning.

Please calm my worries.

Some_Gamer_Dude

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Coming from DM and Chrono Clash, it's just part of the 'Shield Trigger' mechanic. It's meant to rubber band the game, giving it a come back mechanic while also making the game dynamic and exciting.

Digi and CCS are a considerably different to DM though, in that Shields in DM do not fight back like Guardians/Security do in CCS and Digi. This changes the tempo of the game. It kinda has to too, as the Gauge system does not gradually ramp up the game in the way the Mana Zone does.

I know it doesn't really answer your concerns, but coming from experience with the games Digi is coming from, Digi is fine. It has next to none of the issues CCS does.

Taso

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks! Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that I've seen your YouTube channel. I like your content if I'm correct on my assumption. xD

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hachiko96

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm really excited and looking forward to this game, but I do have one worry. I'm wondering how much the randomness of the Security Cards can affect the future of the game.

Now, I don't know much about the competitive scenes of card games, which is why I made this thread to hope to understand it more. To those with more knowledge on this subject- how do other card games with this security/guardian mechanic fare competitively? Do they last long?

I have played the demo by the way. It does feel unfortunate whenever I attack with an Ultimate and a Mega gets flipped over. Perhaps there will be a lot more cards that come out that can mitigate these chances. I've had a lot of fun, though.

I guess part of what irks me is that security cards are random to both players. They didn't strategically use resources to place the card face down on the field or anything (and they don't have to use resources to use security effects once flipped over). Potentially overpowered cards just get spawned. To be fair, it could also be argued that this places higher importance on deck consistency and construction... But I'm not sure if that is a strong enough reasoning.

Please calm my worries.
I haven't had the ability to play Digimon yet but from my experience playing card games like magic the gathering Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh competitively random elements are typically a healthy thing as long as they are not pushed too far.
Because if there is a best deck that is consistent it would always win these random elements add that small amount of doubt and variance to keep the game exciting.

From what I've seen none of the security cards are overpowered.
Chronoclash will also has a similar mechanic that makes the game much better.
Also I'm pretty sure cardfight Vanguard has a similar mechanic and it's lasted a long time.