Will Appmon redefine the Digimon franchise as a whole?

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If that's what you think, then by all means, close it before it gets to that point. My hope in starting the thread was to see where people stood on the matter, and in the process hopefully see why there was such a difference in opinion, but I don't know that that is what we have had so far. I don't want it to be a thorn in anybody's side.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I expect there may still be the possibility for the thread to move somewhere there is an actual discussion, which is why it isn't closed.

Just giving everyone the heads up.

And as you said, I doubt you intended, or expected the thread to go around in circles in this specific manner.

Kanijo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only real differences I'm seeing are that the digital life forms now have a theme of representing apps, and the humans have alot more candy-colored hair than Digimon has ever done before.

Devimon4000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So here's a counter question: What exactly makes Appmon so similar to the rest of the Digimon franchise, that it seems like the same thing?
I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, especially since we know so little about Appmon, but from what we do know:

It seems to have levels that line up with Child through Mega

The evolution is done by what looks to be a re-skinned version of Digixros, which was itself a modification of Jogress

The monster design is not that far off from what was in Xros Wars

Whatever Appmon ends up being I do personally find it hard to say that what we have so far is that much out there then Frontier removing the whole: “having a super cool pet” element of the franchise, given that was the foundation for all of Digimon up to that point.

Treble-Clef

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The evolution is done by what looks to be a re-skinned version of Digixros, which was itself a modification of Jogress
I would argue, actually, that applifuse or whatever it's called is more like Jogress than it is like Digixros. Digixros is you can just keep adding and adding and adding digimon into the xros (except for Xros Up's in Hunters, but it's still not the same because of the second part of this point.) Applifuse has been described as that it's two digimon fusing to create another digimon with themes from both of the base Mon's, perhaps one more than the other, which is identical to Jogress - outside of the naming theme.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would argue, actually, that applifuse or whatever it's called is more like Jogress than it is like Digixros.
I think it's way too early to say anything about that...

Digixros is you can just keep adding and adding and adding digimon into the xros
There is no restriction to two Digimon for Jogress either. And you can just add other Digimon by Jogressing your jogressed Digimon with some other Digimon, which according to V-Tamer counts as adding to the components of one Jogress rather than a different jogress.

Applifuse has been described as that it's two digimon fusing
Only because we've only seen App fusions with two components doesn't mean two is the limit... especially this early when they might understandably keep the more powerful and advanced possibilities of Appmon under wraps.

to create another digimon with themes from both of the base Mon's, perhaps one more than the other, which is identical to Jogress - outside of the naming theme.
The same can be said of DigiXros. More importantly DigiXros has the tendency to re-use components like weapons or body parts relatively unmodified in the resulting Digimon, a trend that seems to continue in combined Appmon such as DoGatchmon and DoScomon, whereas the result of a Jogress might only retain some more abstract references to the components' properties. But again, it would be better to wait until we have a larger sample size of combined Appmon to analyze before coming to any conclusion.
That said, games such as Digimon Story Super Xros Wars have firmly established an equivalence between DigiXros and Jogress by including fusions that were formally jogress as valid DigiXrosses without any of the incompatibilities that you would expect if those methods were truly different from each other.

Shikou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So here's my thoughts, at first I was a bit "whaaaa...?" but then I let the idea sink in and Im open to the concept. I wasn't as in touch with Digimon over the years as I'd like to. I was unable to watch Digimon when they removed it from standard television after season 4. I was interested in Data Squad / Savers but as I said I wasn't able to watch it because I only had standard television so I never understood people's beef with it. I did see a bit of Xross Wars when it first aired in Japan but stopped at around episode 15 because I forgot about it. I do understand why people didn't like it because of the Digi-cross evolution. I wasn't all that ok with it ether. I dont have a solid opinion for Xros Wars because I haven't finished it yet but I'll do it eventually because I liked some of the new things it introduced. Im open to Appmon as a series because of Xross Wars and probably will get a better idea once the video game comes out and buy it from Japan. As much as Im against the idea of children having tablets or already being mobile phone owners with a FaceBook and Instigram account (Im not kidding, I've witnessed it just recently) I feel its a gimmick to fit the era we're in to attract the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if an Appmon mobile game gets made, I'd be more surprised if they dont do it. It's begging to happen. Your mobile apps as Digimon is a bit strange but at the same time it's an interesting idea and it fits the era we're in as I mentioned. The only real "beef" I have with Appmon is the main character designs. They look more like YuGiOh characters.

As for redefining the series? I'd say no. People would still want the V-Pet formula it has established ever the years even in the video games. Nothing will change, just because an anime series is going a different route that doesn't mean other forms of media will follow. Take season 4 for example. Since when were we able to transform into a Digimon in any of the video games outside of Digimon Spirit 2. It will have it's tie-in games (the upcoming 3DS game for example) like Data Squad / Savers and Xross Wars did but nothing will change.

Last edited:

GrungeCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As much as Im against the idea of children having tablets or already being mobile phone owners with a FaceBook and Instigram account (Im not kidding, I've witnessed it just recently) I feel its a gimmick to fit the era we're in to attract the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if an Appmon mobile game gets made, I'd be more surprised if they dont do it. It's begging to happen. Your mobile apps as Digimon is a bit strange but at the same time it's an interesting idea and it fits the era we're in as I mentioned.
I mean, Digimon as a whole has kind of always done that (and I'm pretty sure this sentiment was brought up earlier in the thread as well). It's not a new concept for Digimon to take current technology and implement it in the show--most notably, in Frontier their cell phones becoming D-Tectors. It was a way for those watching the show to make a connection with their every day lives, since cell phones were becoming more widely used at the time it aired. It make people watching Frontier mentally make a connection between the show and their cell phones. Appmon seems to be essentially reiterating the same concept, just with current standards: YouTube, cell phones, apps, etc. It's just a way for kids who will watch the show now make their own connection between Appmon and their every day lives. So of course it's going to be a "gimmick" to attract children to the show. I wouldn't even necessarily call it a gimmick, especially since a lot of people are claiming other current children's shows are doing the same thing. It's literally just following a new standard to garner viewers (and I mean "new standard" in the technological aspect showcased in the show, not in the marketing itself).

That said, Digimon being mobile apps makes sense to me. They literally are digital creatures--it simply seems to be a case of the franchise as a whole evolving along with current standards to, as was said, "fit the era". Why shouldn't they hang out in your phone and basically run errands on it?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would argue that from the very beginning the concept of digital monsters would be "a gimmick to fit the era". The internet and personal computers are of course a bit older than the late 90s but it was at this point that this technology was widespread and mainstream enough for there to be a generation of children that pretty much grew up surrounded by it, even if not to the same extreme degree as it is the case now.

Toei and Bandai seem to feel that right now we've hit a similar sweet spot in regards to smartphones and I could see them being right about that.

Devimon4000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well let's be 100% honest, how Appmon are informed by apps and how Digimon were informed by the internet are very different, in that the Appmon are actually informed by apps, they make up major elements of their designs. Digimon... They said the fire guy was from a firewall I guess? Digimon have almost always been just straight up classical monsters with "oh right, um maybe mention the internet in that lore stuff that never actually matters?"

Edit: In fact the fantasy pet franchise that was the most about the internet and computers and that Appmon reminds me most of so far is MegaMan Battle Network. Digimon? That was pure fantasy.

Last edited:

Kanijo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Gigamon23 One thing stood out to me in your discussion on the appmon episode 1 thread is that you said Appmon should be enjoyed as it's own thing, rather than a regular Digimon experience. I'm having trouble trying to see what your definition of a "regular" Digimon experience is.

I already treat each iteration of the Digimon series as it's own thing. Adventure, Tamers, Frontier, Savers, Xros Wars, World, Story, X-evolution, etc., are all different stories that have pretty significant changes to how the monsters and their world works, that I find the only way to enjoy them is to treat all of them as their own things in which the only similarity is that they share the same premise of beings from a digital plane of existence that have a huge focus on battling one another. Appmon is no different.

As for a "regular" Digimon experience, I would feel that having a change to the story and mechanics, but ultimately keeping the same premise for the monsters is to be expected at this point, since Digimon has done this many times before. So to me, having things be different, fits very well into a regular Digimon experience.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I already treat each iteration of the Digimon series as it's own thing. Adventure, Tamers, Frontier, Savers, Xros Wars, World, Story, X-evolution, etc., are all different stories that have pretty significant changes to how the monsters and their world works, that I find the only way to enjoy them is to treat all of them as their own things in which the only similarity is that they share the same premise of beings from a digital plane of existence that have a huge focus on battling one another. Appmon is no different.
This is in itself another part of the issue that I believe has come up, but is harder to discuss based on how people view the franchise as a whole.

It's all Digimon, but by and large each 'new thing' in the franchise is it's own arm branching off the franchise as a whole.

Which in and of itself is an even bigger thing when you consider that huge arms of the franchise don't equate to where the franchise began, what it's become, or even commonly thought of elements of it.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe I can say that the words that saying appmon should be enjoyed as something not digimon, I think it can be effective towards the nostalgia fanboy or genwunners who only want digimon adventure as the only true digimon series. I mean, many of the fandom already fed up towards the digimon series lately, especially XW. Hence many said "this is not digimon I know before! This sucks." The neophobia is indeed strong. But since the branding nowadays is "appmon" and not "digimon", then they have no reason to insult it bcos "it's not digimon anymore", bcos it's "appmon" not "digimon." Their argument has been already invalid.

I still can really feel the strong Digimon vibe on Appmon anime, yeah, you're all not wrong. And it's actually not wrong to treat it as same as a regular Digimon series, as long as you can enjoy the Appmon series without having anger towards it just bcos "it isn't digimon anymore blahblahblah."

Appmon at least acknowledging themselves as a non-digimon for those who said "this is not digimon anymore" so that those ppl can think again that they're different and then they can give it a try later.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In response to the "I don't see any Digimon" argument, I would say that I've seen Hackmon, AncientWisemon, and Garbamon, even if two of them did have their names changed. Not to mention all the other Appmon who just borrow a few stylistic elements from existing Digimon. To say that Appmon has no connection to Digimon just makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't wait for LeOugamon to show up in Appmon and then get offed. THAT'S the true mark of whether it's a Digimon series or not~

Kotekuma

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In response to the "I don't see any Digimon" argument, I would say that I've seen Hackmon, AncientWisemon, and Garbamon, even if two of them did have their names changed. Not to mention all the other Appmon who just borrow a few stylistic elements from existing Digimon. To say that Appmon has no connection to Digimon just makes zero sense to me.
I don't think anyone is saying that Appmon has no connection to Digimon. The connection is there. The connection is strong. But it's just a connection. Surely, you must see where people are coming from. True, Appmon and Digimon have similar stylistic elements. But so do characters of Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball. As a fan of Banjo-Kazooie titles, I feel about Appmon the same way I feel about the upcoming Yooka-Laylee game. I'll get the familiar experience but it won't register as the same.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think anyone is saying that Appmon has no connection to Digimon. The connection is there. The connection is strong.
That was in response to Gigamon, who said that the only thing connecting them was the word "Digimon" in the title, which in his opinion is purely there for the purpose of helping market Appmon.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think anyone is saying that Appmon has no connection to Digimon. The connection is there. The connection is strong. But it's just a connection. Surely, you must see where people are coming from. True, Appmon and Digimon have similar stylistic elements. But so do characters of Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball. As a fan of Banjo-Kazooie titles, I feel about Appmon the same way I feel about the upcoming Yooka-Laylee game. I'll get the familiar experience but it won't register as the same.
There were people saying that in the Episode thread.

It's similar to Young Hunters to me at present. So at least at the moment, I don't think it will redefine.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't wait for LeOugamon to show up in Appmon and then get offed. THAT'S the true mark of whether it's a Digimon series or not~
Lions are commonly the redshirts of the Digimon franchise. I haven't seen any lions yet, soooooo...

*brings popcorn*

vipertongn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i'm just glad they have digimon tri to cater to the older audiences. i want to see how appmon plays out before making judgements