Why's he named Guilmon!?!?

Noirangel00

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey all! I'm a huge fan of digimon and it's no secret that MOST of the digimon have names that relate to something they're based off of or something they do. I was just wondering if someone knew why Guilmon was named so. I thought it was named after the word "guile" (sly and cunning), but that's pronounced like 'gile'. Anyone actually know?

CountessGardevoir

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The whole "sly/cunning" meaning could have something to do with Guilmon being a Virus

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember the days when people thought his Japanese name was "Gillmon".

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing I thought of is a mispronunciation of Gila Monster. It's supposed to be pronounced as hila, but I often hear gila. Unless there's some form of dinosaur by a similar name…

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
when I was a kid I used to make up cool sounding words to name stuff so that could be it for in universe. as for why bandai named him that you got me

Togemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting. I never really thought of this, I just assumed guil was some kind of Japanese thing or something. I definitely like the idea of Takato coming up with some random cool sounding name though, sounds like something a little kid would do!

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guilty doesn't quite sound right considering what we've seen of Guilmon. Wikimon suggests guile, which means to deceive or to trick, but that also doesn't sound right at all. The romanization of his name is Girumon, and Konaka's resource renders the name as Gilmon.

Using the last one, I have to wonder when If I Had a Pet Dinosaur by Gil Robles was first published. I recall something very similar around a decade-plus ago. Takato's imagination, Guilmon's being a Reptile Digimon, and the whole portrayal of life with a pet "dinosaur" sound awfully similar to that book.

As far as possible dinosaur genera (for both guil and gil), I'm only seeing Gilmoreosaurus, an herbivorous hadrosaur with fossil remains found in Asia. Like Guilmon, this species had two primary walking feet as is common with the hadrosaurs.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guilty doesn't quite sound right considering what we've seen of Guilmon. Wikimon suggests guile, which means to deceive or to trick, but that also doesn't sound right at all.
Well, he has that Digital Hazard symbol for a reason.

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kenji Watanabe's take on it: ギルティからとったような記憶が・・・罪なくらい強いってイメージだったかな。だから体にデジタルハザードのマークいれたんだっけかな

The gist of it is he's a nice Digimon guilty about being a virus-type/having the Digital Hazard on his body.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, come on, Kenji Watanabe… that's no fun, and would be a bit odd for Takato to name based on that… just a little.

Yeah, I definitely created a whole set of fan stuff myself as a kid, "Crittermon" I called them… Almost all of the names were purely nonsensical.

The Digital Hazard bit could be possible, but he was named by Takato… well, presuming the Digi-Gnomes weren't pulling strings and just giving Takato the idea for something that already exists. That whole scenario occurred in Magi-Nation (animated series) where a protagonist gets the idea for a creature that had previously existed during the life of his grandfather.

Guil also could be Scottish Gaelic for to weep or to cry. Other possibilities include guild (English), gilded (English), gules (English - meaning red) and Gilgamesh (Mesopotamia).

————————

Or we could put them all together: "the gules (red) Gilmoreosaurus monster who cries because he feels guilty about being a viral type with the Digital Hazard and who enjoys reading The Epic of Gilgamesh because Humbaba is just a hilarious name to say aloud."

CountessGardevoir

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, come on, Kenji Watanabe… that's no fun, and would be a bit odd for Takato to name based on that… just a little.

Yeah, I definitely created a whole set of fan stuff myself as a kid, "Crittermon" I called them… Almost all of the names were purely nonsensical.

The Digital Hazard bit could be possible, but he was named by Takato… well, presuming the Digi-Gnomes weren't pulling strings and just giving Takato the idea for something that already exists. That whole scenario occurred in Magi-Nation (animated series) where a protagonist gets the idea for a creature that had previously existed during the life of his grandfather.

Guil also could be Scottish Gaelic for to weep or to cry. Other possibilities include guild (English), gilded (English), gules (English - meaning red) and Gilgamesh (Mesopotamia).

————————

Or we could put them all together: "the gules (red) Gilmoreosaurus monster who cries because he feels guilty about being a viral type with the Digital Hazard and who enjoys reading The Epic of Gilgamesh because Humbaba is just a hilarious name to say aloud."
Well, then

Noirangel00

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do really like the idea of (guilty)mon. Considering he is really like the only one I can think of as an "innocent" monster. Though, I doubt Takato would have thought of that since he didn't originally draw his with the digital hazard symbol. He also was extremely surprised when Guilmon started acting evil.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kenji Watanabe's take on it: ギルティからとったような記憶が・・・罪なくらい強いってイメージだったかな。だから体にデジタルハザードのマークいれたんだっけかな

The gist of it is he's a nice Digimon guilty about being a virus-type/having the Digital Hazard on his body.
Source, please?

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kenji Watanabe's personal Twitter account.