Why I like Meiko and Meicoomon (Meiko-Meicoomon Fan Thread)

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Am I the only one who likes Meiko, Meicoomon, and their story arc? I know these forums were made for Frontier fans in particular but there seems to be Digimon fans of all sorts here so I was curious if many people here actually like Tri and whether or not there are some of you who might agree with me that Meiko & Meicoomon aren't bad digimon partners to add to Adventure.

Surely, though, Meiko-Meicoomon isn't my favourite digimon-human partners. That would be Daisuke and Vmon. But I really like Meicoomon as a digimon, she's really cool, and I like Meiko's whole storyarc with her digimon. And the reason can't just be summed up in just one sentence or even a paragraph:

One think that stuck out to me about Digimon when it first came out was the relationship these kids formed with their realised virtual pets. As a kid, it made my imagination run wild with all sorts of different ideas about what it would be like to own and bond with a real digimon. Digimon Adventure captures this relationship quite well with the perfect balance between focus on the humans as well as the digimon. And Tri continues this focus. Meiko's situation is quite a unique one among other kids with Digimon. She met her digimon when it was already corrupted with Apocolymon's data fragment. She came out of the egg that way after all.

Firstly, things are revealed bit by bit about Meicoomon throughout the series. I like a bit of mystery now and again, adds a sense of intrigue; makes me think - a lot how Digimon used to get me thinking when I was a kid. Secondly, I like the bond between the two and it was tragic to see their bond be split the more the corruption took over. Meiko had to figure out what the right thing to do with her was. She wanted to be with her forever like everyone else, but yet Meiko & Meicoomon weren't like the rest of the partners. Meiko grows as a person, realising for Meicoomon's sake to stop being selfish and basically let her go from her misery. There's usually a happy ending for a kid and their digimon in Adventure but this is not your usual digimon. Its interesting for me to imagine what it would be like to go through that kind of situation, to finally get my own digimon but it turned out to be infected and a danger to myself and others.

My absolute favourite entree in all Digimon is Hurricaine Touchdown. Wallace recieved not one but two digimon. And right away we see how difficult it is to tame two virtual pets at the same time. One turned out normal and happy. The other was disturbed with the changes of life and became obsessed with its own past and wanted things to go back to the way they were. Giving the proper attention to two digimon would be tough. As a kid, it made me imagine what it'd be like to have two digimon and a plethora of creative ideas. Wallace and his digimon is a close second human-digimon partners to Daisuke and Vmon to me. Wallace's situation was unique, like Meiko's, and it made for a very dangerous situation; keeping in perspective that digimon are not only living things but also how powerful digimon can be. I always wondered what it'd be like to have such a powerful pet. One thing I always knew for sure it would be one heck of a responsibility, let alone to have two...

Thirdly, I like how Meicoomon's story ties into so much Digimon Adventure lore. It is tied to Apocolymon, obviously. But its also tied to the original five chosen children. I would've never guessed one of the five had to sacrifice their digimon to defeat the dark masters, going mad in obsession with bringing her digimon back; endangering anyone and everyone to do so. I like the way they portray Meiko's bond with Meicoomon in the 1999 flashback. She had to give her digimon up for testing, so she must've known very early on that Meicoomon was not a normal digimon. At such a young age, I could imagine how much burden she must have felt having to physically be there with Meicoomon in order for her not to go wild in fear. It really puts into perspective the amount of responsibility digimon are without the corruption, but Meiko really had her work cut out for her much of her life.

Finally, I like how the changes in their bond was portrayed throughout. I could imagine what it would be like to lose control of my own digimon and even come close to being killed by it after years and years of bonding with it. Meiko went through a lot, and through much of the series I often put myself in her shoes much how I would do when I was a kid with many of the other chosen children.

I think Tri is awesome. And I really like the relationship between Meiko and Meicoomon. I don't really care much about human character development in a show called "Digimon." So Meiko as a person really is irrelevant to me. But I do like the different ways human/digimon relationships are portrayed in Digimon Adventure. Its one of the things I think makes Digimon so unique. And Meiko's relationship with her virtual pet is a very interesting and unique one, imo. Again its not my absolute favourite pair but its up there on my list.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, I like Meiko too - she's cute, sweet and shy which is my thing. I can see why people dont like her and treat her as a mary sue though, but not all of those are bad persay

SMite

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Same, Muur, Meiko is just drop-dead cute.

frankiemon827

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Speaking of Meiko & Meicoomon I'm totally neutral. I guess their original voices (especially Meicoomon) kinda annoyed me to some degree. I'm still hoping Meiko is Yggdrasil in human form lol...

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Speaking of Meiko & Meicoomon I'm totally neutral. I guess their original voices (especially Meicoomon) kinda annoyed me to some degree. I'm still hoping Meiko is Yggdrasil in human form lol...
She sure looks different than usual.

SMite

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Loli Yggdrasil , but yeah. If she is, that'd be craziest plot twist. But, it would leave lots of plotholes.

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not much for them to be honest -- I don't like their voices, how their names are so similar (Mei and Mei-chan), and I think Meiko's development goes in circles throughout Tri while Meicoomon's story was very predictable for me. (Note: I usually prefer to spell it Maicoomon, but I'm seeing "Meicoomon" being used more and more often, so I'll just go with that one for now.)

But since this is an appreciation thread, I'll disclose that there actually is something I like about the Meiko and Meicoomon pair: it was really cool to see a Digimon and human relationship that involved anxiety. When Meicoomon briefly got lost in Part 2 and Meiko had to show up to calm her down, I thought it was very well-done and it was a relationship that we haven't really seen before. In Adventure, you're more likely to see the humans with the "problems" and have the Digimon partner act as a perfect remedy for those problems, or at least be the catalyst to allow the human partner to change. In Meiko and Meicoomon's case, the Digimon is the anxious, stressed-out one while the human is the one caring for her. That felt fresh.

That said, they're far from my favorite characters -- not the worst, but I prefer characters like Miyako, Sora, and Mimi over Meiko. Ultimately I didn't like how the writers handled Meiko and Meicoomon as narrative elements in Tri itself, but for the most part, they were fine as characters. I feel like Hurricane Touchdown did a better job with the "I need to put down my Digimon" concept. Honestly, I think Tri has a lot of problems that are far more egregious than Meiko and Meicoomon as characters.

Also, this is the first I've heard of WtW being made solely for Frontier fans -- isn't it just named after the insert song because it was timely?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, this is the first I've heard of WtW being made solely for Frontier fans -- isn't it just named after the insert song because it was timely?
I spoke to Jita a lot for many years, it was never a 'site for Frontier fans' that I ever heard, it's just that was what was timely when he made it and as I recall he liked the name of the song.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked them just fine; Meiko is definitely not a Mary-Sue as some people seem to think (not even the actual definition, really). I think it's perfectly in character for the Adventure kids to treat her as one of their own, and given their established dynamic I would say it was essential for the plot to introduce someone to affect character dynamics. I think a lot of people were worried about affecting ships, honestly, but that turned out to not be an issue anyway.

The identical names though... ugh. They could have done better with that.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love Meiko. I've never really felt the kind of connection to the Adventure kids that many other Digimon fans seem to, even back when I watched it as a kid. But I see a lot of myself in Meiko. She has a really similar personality to me, she struggles with things like anxiety and feelings of worthlessness, she likes drawing and has an interest in fashion, and I like cats. I also really like her character arc. She becomes stronger, but not in the way one might usually define "strong". She finds the strength to make the painful but necessary decision to kill her partner and best friend for the greater good. It is admittedly really similar to Wallace's arc in Hurricane Touchdown, but I feel it's stronger here. We get to see quite a bit of Meiko and Meicoomon's relationship firsthand before Meicoomon goes berserk, so their tragedy has more weight to it than Wallace and Cocomon's in my opinion.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. Even I remember it was just named for the song. But anyway, I like Meiko. She's cute and she solves the shipping problem. So we can forget that until an 02 Tri comes out and we get someone for Davis. But Meicomon is pretty cute. Toyetic to a degree and has a nice line when it's the normal line and not the messed up line. I just wished they named the other levels.

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love Meiko. I've never really felt the kind of connection to the Adventure kids that many other Digimon fans seem to, even back when I watched it as a kid. But I see a lot of myself in Meiko. She has a really similar personality to me, she struggles with things like anxiety and feelings of worthlessness, she likes drawing and has an interest in fashion, and I like cats. I also really like her character arc. She becomes stronger, but not in the way one might usually define "strong". She finds the strength to make the painful but necessary decision to kill her partner and best friend for the greater good.
What do you think of Meicoomon? Like how do you feel about Meicoomon being Meiko's digimon? I felt like while she did cause Meiko a huge burden they do seem to go together well. Meiko really took a liking to her right away. But that's also probably because she's a cat digimon lol

It is admittedly really similar to Wallace's arc in Hurricane Touchdown, but I feel it's stronger here. We get to see quite a bit of Meiko and Meicoomon's relationship firsthand before Meicoomon goes berserk, so their tragedy has more weight to it than Wallace and Cocomon's in my opinion.
Well, Meiko & Meicoomon do get significantly more screentime :p

Screentime aside, I really like both of them for what makes them similar and what makes em different from each other. They're unique situations that show different sides to owning a digimon and that is wouldn't necessarily be all "rainbows & sunshine" just because you have one lol

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What do you think of Meicoomon? Like how do you feel about Meicoomon being Meiko's digimon? I felt like while she did cause Meiko a huge burden they do seem to go together well. Meiko really took a liking to her right away. But that's also probably because she's a cat digimon lol
Meicoomon's cute, but she has the same problem as pretty much all the Adventure partner Digimon in that she doesn't really have much of a character outside one or two "main" traits. The only exception is Tailmon who was allowed to be a character when she was an antagonist, but even that mostly disappears after becoming Hikari's partner/after Wizarmon's death. That's easily my least favorite part of Adventure, that the Digimon mostly exist just to be extensions of their human partner's character.

Well, Meiko & Meicoomon do get significantly more screentime :p

Screentime aside, I really like both of them for what makes them similar and what makes em different from each other. They're unique situations that show different sides to owning a digimon and that is wouldn't necessarily be all "rainbows & sunshine" just because you have one lol
Yeah I'm always a fan of "unconventional" Human/Digimon partner dynamics. I wish there were more examples of them.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You know we never had a boy human and girl digimon pairing. So that might be one we haven't seen yet.

SMite

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting, would like to see that pairing in a future series.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not quite what I had in mind with "unconventional partner dynamics". I was thinking more like, partners who aren't just like best friends like is usually the case in Digimon. Like Minami in the first Tamers movie who initially resented her partner Labramon for "replacing" her dog. Or maybe, a villain/hero pair like with Millenniummon and Ryou. There are just a lot of different kinds of relationships that can be explored through human/Digimon pairs and I'd like to see writers get more creative.

I also would like to see more mixed gender pairs though, including male human/"female" Digimon.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh... OK. Yeah that makes sense. I wonder how that would work.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media