Why does Hikari is always the Possessed one?

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I usually see many post about Hikari being the possessed child, and the conduit of entities. In know Homeostasis uses her for comunication with the choosen children, but i wonder, why is that? Is it her emblem? is it a born condition? A plot device? Kakudou explained or expanded more about why hikari and not the other children? Do you have any theories or paralels of your own?

Last edited:

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think for the purposes of the story the explanation is self-contained: Hikari is a medium. That's it. That's just who she is. Her name means "light" in Japanese, and that's probably just fate. I don't think there's any more behind why she is the way she is than that, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Hikari's body would be very interesting for a new story if her unique condition was discovered born with unique symptoms that coincidentally match to a digimon's digital body or digital computer host under undetected of the most advanced technologies in the human world but Homeostasis, Yggdrasil and other digital computer series units only can detect under their unique... Eye thingies.

Which it allowed Homeostasis invade her mind or something like that.

I'm pretty sad she grew up well without having questioned about her unique conditions not even Tri can answer but just left more new mysteries.

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Hikari's body would be very interesting for a new story if her unique condition was discovered born with unique symptoms that coincidentally match to a digimon's digital body or digital computer host under undetected of the most advanced technologies in the human world but Homeostasis, Yggdrasil and other digital computer series units only can detect under their unique... Eye thingies.

Which it allowed Homeostasis invade her mind or something like that.

I'm pretty sad she grew up well without having questioned about her unique conditions not even Tri can answer but just left more new mysteries.
What an interesting hipotesis! I'm trying to find an interview with kakudou explaining more on the matter for furthermore reference, but i like to think of her as the diferent child. She stayed on the human world, her digimon wondered off too, so many questions about her character development might unfold.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Homeostasis just likes possessing little girls I guess. Did the same to Maki in the flashback sequence in Tri.

More seriously though (although I legit kind of believe the above), as said before she's probably some kind of medium that is simply more attuned to these things than the others. Taichi needed to come back from the Digital World to see the Digimon in the news, whereas Hikari could see them normally. Perhaps this is because of the "children are more connected to Digimon" theme Adventure had, and Hikari was seen as the most innocent. Perhaps it's because Hikari did not repress the events of Hikarigaoka the way the other 7 did, and thus was more attuned to the Digital World going-ons (and the Digital World was more attuned to her). Perhaps it's because she spent more time with Koromon in the original OVA than Taichi did.

But it's more likely it's something she simply was born with. She did wake up before Taichi did, right as an strange digital phenomenom was happening around the area, and went to stand in front of a computer that was about to manifest a Digimon egg. No conclusive evidence of anything, but an interesting coincidence anyway.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too bad Maki's fate is unfortunately "abandoned" in Kizuna, forwarded to pile up with more mysteries.

Little girls lol Hikari in tri did got possessed so it's probably this unique condition of the human bodies in Digimon that will never get solved. Ever. EVER. Only the plot demands more possessions rather than test results.

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too bad Maki's fate is unfortunately "abandoned" in Kizuna, forwarded to pile up with more mysteries.

Little girls lol Hikari in tri did got possessed so it's probably this unique condition of the human bodies in Digimon that will never get solved. Ever. EVER. Only the plot demands more possessions rather than test results.
So you think is more like a plot device than an intended character development?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, it almost certainly is something they gave little thought to. Adventure didn’t really have a coherent plot. Things just happened.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hikari as a special kid was certainly an intended character trait, given how often it happens. Why she was special, though, is probably just plot device. My guess is Kakudou wanted to use the "children are more attuned to the supernatural" trope and didn't think an explanation was necessary, given Adventure in general is more straightforward with being a fantasy series than the other seasons. The best thing to analyze is why it was her and not the others, I guess. What makes the others less attuned to the Digital World, that Homeostasis would decide to manifest through Hikari rather than any of the others.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Homeostasis straight up says in the series that Hikari is special and that it doesn’t know why. Considering we still have no explanation, Toei must not feel that one is needed.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm thinking of Erika in Cyber Sleuth where she had a connection to Digimon due to her consciousness being stored in EDEN.
Of course, I don't think Hikari is anywhere near this extent but I wonder if she's had an event in her past that made her more attuned to electronic signals or the Digital World itself. Perhaps being younger she grew up exclusively in a world of technology so she knows and understands it better than the other 1999 kids?
I want to bring up the possibility of autism but I don't want to accidentally say something offensive in that subject as I don't feel researched enough to personally discuss it, but if a more informed person had thoughts on that possibility I would love to read it

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Homeostasis straight up says in the series that Hikari is special and that it doesn’t know why. Considering we still have no explanation, Toei must not feel that one is needed.
It does? Last time I watched Adventure was about 5 years ago, so I must have forgotten that. Oh well, Hikari's special and that's that I guess. If even Homeostasis doesn't know, then it probably has nothing to do with the Digital World, though, which is still information for theories.

Since you wrote a fanfic on the Dark Ocean, do you think the reason for Hikari's specialness may be linked in that direction rather than the Digital World?

I'm thinking of Erika in Cyber Sleuth where she had a connection to Digimon due to her consciousness being stored in EDEN.
Of course, I don't think Hikari is anywhere near this extent but I wonder if she's had an event in her past that made her more attuned to electronic signals or the Digital World itself. Perhaps being younger she grew up exclusively in a world of technology so she knows and understands it better than the other 1999 kids?
I want to bring up the possibility of autism but I don't want to accidentally say something offensive in that subject as I don't feel researched enough to personally discuss it, but if a more informed person had thoughts on that possibility I would love to read it
Neither Takeru (who's the same age) nor Koushiro (who has been shown to know and care about technology more than Hikari) are ever linked to Homeostasis, so this is doubtful.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since you wrote a fanfic on the Dark Ocean, do you think the reason for Hikari's specialness may be linked in that direction rather than the Digital World?
I wouldn’t think so, since Hikari’s connected to the power of light rather than darkness. In my story I sort of handwaved her abilities as her being born psychic, so she can see and hear things others can’t.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If the writers ever had this idea, it would seem like they changed their minds pretty quickly. While it is the case that in the original Adventure movie 4-year-old Hikari frequently uses her whistle to communicate in lieu of verbalizing--which could be seen as neurodivergent behavior--by the time she reaches age 8 (Adventure TV) she doesn't appear to have any social or communicative difficulties, and I don't recall any repetitive behavior patterns. Of course, in real life this would not necessarily prove that she's neurotypical: many people on the spectrum, especially girls, learn to hide neurodivergent behavior at great mental and emotional cost (https://www.spectrumnews.org/features/deep-dive/costs-camouflaging-autism/). But looking at the anime as a whole, if this is what they were going for it was too subtle to notice, which would be strange considering the frankness with which they approached other serious topics for kids like divorce and adoption.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If the writers ever had this idea, it would seem like they changed their minds pretty quickly. While it is the case that in the original Adventure movie 4-year-old Hikari frequently uses her whistle to communicate in lieu of verbalizing--which could be seen as neurodivergent behavior--by the time she reaches age 8 (Adventure TV) she doesn't appear to have any social or communicative difficulties, and I don't recall any repetitive behavior patterns. Of course, in real life this would not necessarily prove that she's neurotypical: many people on the spectrum, especially girls, learn to hide neurodivergent behavior at great mental and emotional cost
I would find this interpretation to be super interesting if they ever touched upon it respectfully. It would also be cool if the new show touches on the toll on Tk from his family divorce more, I feel like that could have been utilized better

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Hikari sensing to the digital phenomenons in 2020 is part of her unique conditions or different from the "possessed" Hikari. Then Hikari (2020) is different but with supernatural senses like deer or other creatures who sense the omen approaching.

Odd, Hikari (2020)'s actions to sensing witnessed in the scenes didn't come off as eerie unlike the eerie episode where Taichi and Koromon mysteriously teleported to the human world and everything in this episode in the atmosphere was really quiet and eerie like... Bizarre alter world.

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, one thing that is a bit strange about Kari is that her Crest does not refer to or at least not directly refer to a personality trait like the others. It is possible that her being so innocent make her an ideal vessel of the Digi worlds equivalent of God.

The idea that prophets and other tolls of a higher power are also the best of people is common in both Islam and Christianity for instance.

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, one thing that is a bit strange about Kari is that her Crest does not refer to or at least not directly refer to a personality trait like the others. It is possible that her being so innocent make her an ideal vessel of the Digi worlds equivalent of God.

The idea that prophets and other tolls of a higher power are also the best of people is common in both Islam and Christianity for instance.
I loved this approach

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it actually matched to Hikari's personality well. It may show the light to guide or empowers hope/miracle also if fragile, it will be swallowed by the darkness like Hikari gets negative at rare moments (Shown in Adventure 02 and Tri).

Maybe it's really hard to tell what personality it referred to. But still, it doesn't have to be involved with Light of evolution granting at "Plot Armor" timings and Homeostasis host. To be honest, the crest of "Fragile" suited her... Heh

Hmm wait maybe Hikari's "Light" attracts dangers? Nah...

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't help but think about this lyric from the Iced Earth song ''Dracula'' given this discussion.

''I will feed upon his precious child''