Why Digimon have "Mon" at the end of their names

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since this kind of topic probably hasn't been brought up before, I may as well do so here. ;)

Realistically, adding "mon" to the end of each species of Digimon was a marketing decision by Bandai or whoever, but I thought of a fictional theory a little while back while writing my fanfic.

Anyways: Digimon are digital lifeforms, and are made up of computer data, right? As we know, every kind of data file has an extension, or file format, for example a Microsoft Word document has ".doc" as its extension, a web page has ".html" and an image has ".jpeg", ".png", ".gif" etc, so perhaps the same thing applies for Digimon.

Perhaps there is a file for every different Digimon (as in entire species, rather than singular Digimon), with that file format being ".mon", for example, the Agumon species filename would be "Agu.mon".

What does everyone think about this? Or do you all have your own ideas or theories?

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not all of the Digimon have the 'Mon' prefix. The 'VR' and 'ADR' groups are the only ones that come straight to mind.

I find it amusing to think of it as a filename. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that is a good way to think about it. In the past, I've used this very same explanation for the 'mon' part of digimon names with people who think the practice is odd or 'stupid'.

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The D-Reaper agents weren't strictly digimon, if I recall correctly. The VR digimon might fall under that category, as well (I don't remember if I got that far in the games).

At any rate, yeah, I've heard this theory before. Makes as much sense as other things in the digital world, I suppose.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. .Mon is the file name. It's short for .monster. As is leomon is lion.monster. And this is a fun theory.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Vande link=topic=11654.msg149330#msg149330 date=1236015976]
Not all of the Digimon have the 'Mon' prefix. The 'VR' and 'ADR' groups are the only ones that come straight to mind.

I find it amusing to think of it as a filename. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
[/quote]
Must admit, I didn't know the 'VR' group existed until you mentioned it (I know very little about the Wonderswan games XD; ).

They probably do have the ".mon" filename, but are unique in the sense that the "mon" in their names don't appear, or something like that.

Kira the wanderer

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, was it you that posted that on YouTube? I saw this post before. Haha. Personally, I think it is what makes the most logic, something that is not directly explained because it requires you to think. "Dra" always refers to "dragon", "devi" to "devil", "Vam" to "Vampire, "De" to "demon" and so on. All the others have names that are a reference to something, whether it be a noise (Like Koromon) or otherwise. A file type does sound best and makes sense.

L

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never really though about it, but I suppose you are right.

[quote author=Unknown Neo link=topic=11654.msg149353#msg149353 date=1236027229]
As is leomon is lion.monster.
[/quote]

As is airdramon = air-dra-mon = air dragon monster. Lol just thought I would add that.

Angel-kun

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
that had been one of my theories too =)

the explication for gennai, digignomes and vr is that they don't have the mon because they are different digital beings, or have different files and functions than digimon

Bakuryu Asuka

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But then there are also Digimon, who don't end with Mon. Rhythm for example. Although that could be a name specifically given to her and her species has another name.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Kira the wanderer link=topic=11654.msg149488#msg149488 date=1236144067]
Hey, was it you that posted that on YouTube?
[/quote]
Nope. I've never posted anything on Youtube before.

(I have an account, but it hasn't really been used)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All other digital lifeforms have different file names. Any ideas on what they would be?

Kira the wanderer

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=wildwing64 link=topic=11654.msg149536#msg149536 date=1236206257]
Nope. I've never posted anything on Youtube before.

(I have an account, but it hasn't really been used)
[/quote]

That's...very strange. This was an almost identical message. Even the bit about a fanfic. Huh...

Anyway, about things like Rhythm. Can anyone even prove she's a Digimon? Think of the DigiGnomes from Tamers (by the way, is that their dub name or original/both?). Not all digital life forms, or things associated with the Digital World (after all, they are never directly stated as such) fit into the file type system. Anyone more familiar with programming and filenames might be able to provide insight onto this.

Bakuryu Asuka

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rhythm being a Digimon?
Okay, let's see:
-came from the Digital World
-was not affected by Argomon
-says herself that she is one
-has two sets of fairywings growing out of her head
-Digimon resembling human girls have been spotted before ( Adventure 02 Drama CD )

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well she's not a typical digimon. It'd have to have a different file type. Still .mon but with something added.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It could be that Rhythm is a Digimon species with an unknown name - she just has her own name, kind of like how Taichi's Veedramon in V-Tamer is nicknamed Zeromaru.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Let's see...

Ri-Zu-Mu (Rhythm)

Na-Tsu (Nat-chan)

Obviously, Digimon that resemble human girls are .u filetypes.

Rizum.u
Nats.u

Fanfic away~

Related thought - Grani from Tamers was very obviously created as some kind of program. I wanna say that there was even a scene at some point that showed a computer display that read 'Grani.exe'.

I honestly can't remember, but if you want to explore the theory further, that might be a good place to start looking.

It could imply what non-digimon digital lifeforms are classified as. If they are .exe filetypes, then it would imply to me that non-digimon digital lifeforms are literally part of the program of the Digital World, making them something akin to forces of nature like Gravity. It fits well with the idea of Gennai & the Digi-gnomes. The D-Reaper and Grani were also created by programmers, and specifically referred to as 'programs' in the anime.

I wonder if humans in the Digital World would get file extensions? Are they different between normal humans, chosen children, and tamers?  Like... a real-world Takato is simply Takato. But a digital Takato (a Tamer) is Takato.tam
Similarly, a digital Sora (Chosen Child) might be Sora.cc
And a digital Sora clone might be Sora copy.cc
Not sure about what I'd call Shibumi... since his soul itself is in the Digital World... might be outside the realm of file extensions there...

Not sure how to consider this with Frontier's Digital World, since everything is made up of Barcode instead of normal computer files.

Fun theory.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is clever though. Are there any one letter extensions?

Orochi

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That big blue room with the really bright light
[quote author=Unknown Neo link=topic=11654.msg150400#msg150400 date=1236974956]
Are there any one letter extensions?
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote author=ukyouluvr link=topic=11654.msg150330#msg150330 date=1236906904]
Not sure how to consider this with Frontier's Digital World, since everything is made up of Barcode instead of normal computer files.
[/quote]

I've always considered Frontier and its whole Digi-Code concept to be sort of like...raw data, y'know? Just a stream of data in barcode form. I'd say that Frontier's Digital World doesn't have files or executables or anything structured like that - it's all just pure data, rendered as is by the Digital World.

I've also heard another theory about Frontier being a prequel to Adventure, and if you think about it, this could support that in some ways. In Frontier we have a rather primitive world that's just based on renderings of data - so primitive, in fact, that data must be manipulated in its raw form. In Adventure and the other series, data seems to be more of an abstract thing - you never see any kind of data stream like in Frontier. It's almost like in Frontier, since you have no file system, you have to play with raw data, but in Adventure and on, that raw data is abstracted into files and such, which means that you never actually have to see the data yourself. A bit like how computers work nowadays.

In other words, if files are simply a way of organizing the raw data that exists in the Digital World, perhaps they just hadn't developed in Frontier, making the data directly exposed.

Of course, then that leaves the question of why Digimon ended with "mon" in the first place - why would they have been suffixed with "-mon" if there was no file extension to base it off of? Maybe it's some sort of identifier, to distinguish themselves from inanimate objects or something? Of course, that sounds the same as a regular file extension, but just without the concept of actual files, I guess. Hmm.

Good stuff, this theory is.