Why did gennai take the form of the digimon emperor

Kingbeemon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Has it been explained why dark gennai decided to take the form of ken as the digimon emperor

So far it seems unnecessary transformation

If I had to guess I'm assuming gennai don't have physical forms to they have to scan a life to have a physical body and if that's the case why do they have this current form is that the face of the creator of the digital world. I think the purpose of gennai is to act as the agents of ygdrassil and homostasis and why are there two separate wills and agency of the digital world.

And are old gennai and dark gennai the same person? I think the gennai that got infected by a dark spore is old gennai

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Short Answer: We don't know why.

Longer Answer: We don't know why yet, but it'll likely be explained in the final movie when they reveal his true intentions.

Theory fanwank: But based on what we've seen, there's a number of possibilities.
1.) He's using the disguise to mess with the heroes' heads.
2.) He needs some kind body based on a real human to exist in the Real World (this assumes that he's NOT actually the Gennai from seasons1/2 because we know that 02 Gennai can appear in the Real World just fine).
3.) He has Ken captured somewhere and is using his data/form for some unknown purpose.
4.) In keeping with Yggdrasil's anti-human stance, he's taken the form of the Digimon Kaiser who represents the worst human to ever enter the Digital World. Perhaps as some kind of ironic taunt or petty justification for his genocidal tendencies.
5.) Mysterious Man is just kinda nuts and likes playing dress up using his magic transform-y powers.

There's probably other theories.

The REAL reason, of course, is a meta-reason. It's because the Digimon Kaiser is a popular character and it intrigues the audience to see him in trailers so it sells tickets.

EDIT:
Also, Old Gennai was attacked by Piemon and had some kind of black ball inserted into him, but we still don't know what it was. It may not have been a Dark Spore/Dark Seed. (Though that is a popular and interesting theory.)

Kingbeemon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Short Answer: We don't know why.

Longer Answer: We don't know why yet, but it'll likely be explained in the final movie when they reveal his true intentions.

Theory fanwank: But based on what we've seen, there's a number of possibilities.
1.) He's using the disguise to mess with the heroes' heads.
2.) He needs some kind body based on a real human to exist in the Real World (this assumes that he's NOT actually the Gennai from seasons1/2 because we know that 02 Gennai can appear in the Real World just fine).
3.) He has Ken captured somewhere and is using his data/form for some unknown purpose.
4.) In keeping with Yggdrasil's anti-human stance, he's taken the form of the Digimon Kaiser who represents the worst human to ever enter the Digital World. Perhaps as some kind of ironic taunt or petty justification for his genocidal tendencies.
5.) Mysterious Man is just kinda nuts and likes playing dress up using his magic transform-y powers.

There's probably other theories.

The REAL reason, of course, is a meta-reason. It's because the Digimon Kaiser is a popular character and it intrigues the audience to see him in trailers so it sells tickets.

EDIT:
Also, Old Gennai was attacked by Piemon and had some kind of black ball inserted into him, but we still don't know what it was. It may not have been a Dark Spore/Dark Seed. (Though that is a popular and interesting theory.)

Well it's possible gennai are like transformers they need to copy a human form and all the gennai in season 2 were different based on location.

Also do you think they will wrap all plot points in the the 6th movie, I'm sure the 6th movie will end the meicomon plotline but that will leave so much more still open.

I hope they put to bed the adventure 1cast story better than this before they try to jump to a season 2 movies.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd like to think that they have at least some idea of what they're doing. They spent enough time giving Mysterious Man a screen presence that I have to assume they're going to explain a little more about where he came from or at least what he wants before ending the series. They went out of their way to put him in that factions chart on the official site, so they have to have something in mind for him.

Now, whether or not the big reveal will be -good- is an entirely separate crapshoot.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

According to one forum user who owns the novelization, the black ball is referred to there as a "seed of darkness," and is supposed to restrict Gennai's movements or something like that. Of course, we have no idea what that really means and if there's any connection to Millenniumon's Dark Seed.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it would be kinda shocking plot twist if the original gennai was evil to start with and been playing fools of digidestined in the beginning...

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No they have not, and it doesn’t make sense to me that Gennai would take the form of the Digimon Kaiser, when Ken himself took the form after his brother Osamu.

I hope they explain it in the next movie, this movie has done such a poor job of explaining things and leaving everything to fan headcanon and speculation.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Mystery Man is at his best when he's kinda nuts. It's the most enjoyable he's been as a character.

it would be kinda shocking plot twist if the original gennai was evil to start with and been playing fools of digidestined in the beginning...

Eh. As the Old Sage archetype goes, Gennai came damn close to killing the kids out of sheer incompetence at least a couple of times, like that time he invited them to cross the ocean on a raft. If he was evil from the beginning, he'd be worse at being evil than Devimon, sacrificing so many opportunities to get what he wanted and accidentally killing them repeatedly.

No they have not, and it doesn’t make sense to me that Gennai would take the form of the Digimon Kaiser, when Ken himself took the form after his brother Osamu.

That the guise of the Kaiser has a specific meaning to Ken doesn't mean it's not a unique and distinctive look in its own right. Mystery Man's use for the guise doesn't have to mirror Ken's at all.

EDIT: Unless Mystery Man is Osamu.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After watching the last movie I think there are two Gennais. One of them is the Digimon Kaiser, and the second one is Batman. They both appeared in the latest movie, and there is no reason for Gennai to switch his appearance, especially now that the kids know that Gennai is pretty evil, unless there are two different Gennais, and one of them is in hid real shape, and the other in the Digimon Kaiser's shape.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The official relationships poster seems to hint that there are indeed two: Gennai, sided with Homeostasis, and Mysterious Man (whom I'll call Seth), sided with Yggdrasil. Official info also suggests that the fate of the 02 kids is very much tied into everything.

In many ways, the Digimon Emperor guise wasn't just about Sam but also about the Dark Ocean. Also, considering that the 8 DD have been mentioned as having tried to contact the 02 team, using Ken's Digimon Emperor guise could be for delivering certain messages (threats) to the 8. Think about it. Ken's a member of that missing team. The whole thing has undertones of "let's make them think he's back only for them to be stabbed in the back and lose their trust in the real Ken." This also could include the message that the person(s) behind the current events knows the fate of the real Ken or even had a hand in his fate. Use of the Digimon Emperor guise could also be used to indicate that some representative of the Dark Ocean sends his "regards" as that was the origin of the Emperor, the Control Spires, etc. I like to think that this connects ol' "Seth" to the Dark Ocean as well.

(Granted, we know the 02 kids survive thanks to the epilogue, but the in-universe DD aren't time travelers.)

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In many ways, the Digimon Emperor guise wasn't just about Sam but also about the Dark Ocean. Also, considering that the 8 DD have been mentioned as having tried to contact the 02 team, using Ken's Digimon Emperor guise could be for delivering certain messages (threats) to the 8. Think about it. Ken's a member of that missing team. The whole thing has undertones of "let's make them think he's back only for them to be stabbed in the back and lose their trust in the real Ken." This also could include the message that the person(s) behind the current events knows the fate of the real Ken or even had a hand in his fate. Use of the Digimon Emperor guise could also be used to indicate that some representative of the Dark Ocean sends his "regards" as that was the origin of the Emperor, the Control Spires, etc. I like to think that this connects ol' "Seth" to the Dark Ocean as well.

Those aren't half bad ideas, except the guise of the Kaiser has no real emotional impact on the main kids. They're understanding of the situation (whatever the hell it was) is shaken, but then they're all business and rid the world of Imperialdramon. If they really were being taunted, threatened, or warned off, they're completely oblivious.

NekoHaruko

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've always stuck with the Kaiser was meant to fuck with us. Dangle something we wanted and waited for so long for.And it's all BS.

It was definitely to mess with the Chosen too. Even if they didn't bat an eye at Imperialdramon. It still threw them through a loop of what could have happened to Ken. and why Ken was doing these things all of a sudden.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've always stuck with the Kaiser was meant to fuck with us. Dangle something we wanted and waited for so long for.And it's all BS.

That's the practical upshot of the Kaiser being here, at least. He's here mostly for the shock value, because that's the only thing he's actually got going for him.

Kingbeemon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was thinking it over and we see dark gennai in the real world in last movie but was in a reality not perceived by the digidestined so he might need a physical avatar to exist in the real world.

Still not sure why he chose ken but we can see he's unstable example sora face lick.

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Using it to troll the Digidestined is probably all there is to it.
Though it was probably the most ineffective plot twist I've seen. Seems as if simply showing up as Gennai would be WAY more
mind fucking than dressing up as Digimon Kaiser fan art.
Especially if Gennai chose the original, Genuine Old Man look, as opposed to the Hot Older Brother form. But the Kaiser thing left such little impact on the plot, it's forgettable in a good way, at least depending on your perspective.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Frankly, I think the entire Kaiser affair only ever happened so the creative team could squeeze a perfunctory "twist" in before the Dark Gennai reveal. As you point out, at no point does it actually matter that it's the Kaiser who's running around (as opposed to any other villain), and by the fourth movie, the subject's dismissed entirely when he reveals his supposed true form to Sora.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe it's meant to show that the Mysterious Man can shapeshift in general?

Perhaps we've been looking at this the wrong way. The important part isn't the Digimon Kaiser. The important part is that we have a shapeshifter villain in the story. And that means he could be masquerading as just about anybody among the tertiary cast. Maybe this is just foreshadowing for a big reveal that Daigo has been the Mysterious Man all along?!

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Perhaps we've been looking at this the wrong way. The important part isn't the Digimon Kaiser. The important part is that we have a shapeshifter villain in the story. And that means he could be masquerading as just about anybody among the tertiary cast. Maybe this is just foreshadowing for a big reveal that Daigo has been the Mysterious Man all along?!

Then why take the form of the Kaiser at all? Not saying your wrong, but if the point of his changed appearance is that he's a shapeshifter, there's a vast number of things he could do better and more efficiently -- like replace Maki, for example, and exploit her position to further his own goals.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Then why take the form of the Kaiser at all? Not saying your wrong, but if the point of his changed appearance is that he's a shapeshifter, there's a vast number of things he could do better and more efficiently -- like replace Maki, for example, and exploit her position to further his own goals.

Probably that's not the reason, but maybe it tried to not to be outstanding? I mean if it tried to impersonate Maki, someone could notice her contradicting behaviour (like she used to like different things, she used to hate that particular thing &c.), especially that it seems she is an important person. Daigo from the other side is just a pushover, and therefore he can work from the shadows without worrying that someone could notice that he's someone else.