Why am I logged out so quickly?

Sapphire Luna

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How much time does it take before the forum logs me out? Sometimes if I spend a little time writing a post, when I press send I'm sent to the log in page and I'm always a bit scared my super long post wasn't saved. Would be nice if the forum didn't log me out while I'm actually on the site.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was finding that a little strange too. On most websites, if you don't tick "remember me", it keeps you logged in until you close the browser. Here, it logs me out after what seems like a very short time.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've literally never been logged out in my entire time of visiting.

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What Internet Browser (including version) and OS are you using?

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
FireFox on Win 7, and yeah I also get logged out after like 10-15 minutes if I'm not actively browsing the site or refreshing a page. Often when I'm writing longer replies I end up loading the forum in another tab and refreshing that one every once in a while to make sure I stay logged in and won't lose whatever wall of text I've been writing

Sapphire Luna

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I use the latest Chrome, and both Win 7 and Win 10. Also different computers at work, and they all do this.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I write on forums, I always make sure to highlight and copy my posts before I hit post just in case. I've been doing this for years, as a few years ago I had a similar problem on other forums etc. It's saved me a few times over the years.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you do not do anything on the forum after a set amount of time, the forum expires your session because it assumes you are no longer on the site (that's the way vBulletin handles login.)

The remember me box bypasses that settings.

'Anything on the forum' equates to any movement between pages.

Sapphire Luna

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The set amount of time just seems very short, is all. I don't use remember me as I use shared computers.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The set amount of time just seems very short, is all. I don't use remember me as I use shared computers.
The time is 15 minutes.
Can you change that time? I tested that closing the browser logs you out if "remember me" isn't checked, so it's not necessary to have a short timeout. 16-18 hours is probably best for not getting logged out by accident.

...No wait, as you said, it's time from last action not time from login. So 2 hours would be plenty.

vailiyatsa

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was finding that a little strange too. On most websites, if you don't tick "remember me", it keeps you logged in until you close the browser. Here, it logs me out after what seems like a very short time.
How much time does it take before the forum logs me out? Sometimes if I spend a little time writing a post, when I press send I'm sent to the log in page and I'm always a bit scared my super long post wasn't saved. Would be nice if the forum didn't log me out while I'm actually on the site.​

Last edited: