Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Leomon(AKA, none of the above)

Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To me it would be absurd if it didn't count. Death is death. If someone was alive at some point and then their biological functions ceased... they're dead. How does a flashback or them not being main characters make any difference in what is basically a purely medical distinction as long as the narrative confirms them as dead?
If the "peripheral" aspect was relevant we would come to bizarre conclusions such as "No children die in Genocyber" because the two children that get their heads graphically ripped apart by gatling guns at the beginning of the second episode are only "peripheral" characters and don't appear at any other point in the show.
Or you could argue that in the previously partially mentioned anime "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" all the murders take place in the past and never on screen... but yet they are undeniably a core part of the story.
And I would say that you can't really overstate Osamu's influence on 02 since if he didn't died pretty much most of the plot simply could not have happened, it was a very vital point in the plot.

In general I feel that when we start talking about qualifictaions for death or something we are not simply talking about death but some kind of abstract value judgement regarding those deaths... which in turn is very subjective and not really useful for establishing any kind of useful criteria for listing or classifying stories.

The point was that Osamu wasn't live in the 02's story. So that doesn't count as a character dying in the story because the character was dead from the start.

From a perspective of what you convey to an audience, there's a big difference between a child character who dies during the story and child character would have been dead from all time.

Is it an anime? If yes, than it's a valid example :p Because at some point the actual statement at which the example was directed became a general statement that was not only including anime such as Digimon. When the opinion "Children don't die in anime" came up it wasn't specificially stated that it was only referring to "Shounen Anime" or "Children's Anime" (where that sentiment would have been more defensible even if not by much) but was a comment that referred to the medium of Anime in general and in this context it's simply factually wrong.
For example here is a list of over 40 anime which at some point in the story feature the death of one or more children (note that it only includes anime that I personally watched, I'm sure many could be added to it):
Shinsekai Yori, Ajin, 91 Days, Hunter x Hunter, Akira, Psycho-Pass, Narutaru, Bokurano ,Berserk, Gantz, Death Parade, Monster, Ga-Rei:Zero, Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Texhnolyze,Elfen Lied, Ghost Hunt, Genocyber, Katanagatari,Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, Wolf's Rain, Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Fullmetal Alchemist, Mirai Nikki, Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Steins;Gate, Charlotte, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Subete ga F ni naru, Grave of the Fireflies, One Piece, Code Geass,Higurashi no naku koro ni, Umineko no naku koro ni, Betterman, Ima Soko ni Iru Boku, Parasyte, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Owari no Seraph, Orange ... and then of course Zero Two with Osamu.

(the fact that in the original post that brought up the issue Meiko was stated as an example of a "child" made examples rather numerous)

In the end I'll say again that I don't expect tri to feature nazi vampires eating babies at any point... but it has happened in anime.

My point is that Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni was not a valid example to prove that Tri can kill "child" characters.

In fact, I mentioned that children died in animes.

Kiimon: Blast Mode

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't understand why people think children don't die in anime. Not only have they died in THIS franchise, but in my favorite anime literally all 16 of the kids die in the end. There are countless instances of kids dying.

Out of morbid curiosity, which anime is that?

On the actual topic, I highly doubt anyone is going to actually die, except a slight chance at Meicoomon possibly. Even if he were to die though he might be able to be reborn like the other Digimon...though I'm not really sure after the reboot didn't affect him.

As KaenKazui said, its "Bokurano". It starts off similar to Digimon Adventure almost, but slightly edgier, and then it just all turns to shit. I don't want to spoil too much (although I did already spoil a lot by saying everyone dies), but basically they control a robot and fight to save the universe. Also, I read my favorite character's arc in the manga version and it's SOOOO much better, I plan on reading the whole thing when I get more free time, but yeah it's really good.

Back on topic:
The target audience for tri. is mostly 20 year olds, and the characters are in high school at this point. If this was made right after 02, none of the influential characters would have died, but they aren't restrained by their age rating anymore, nor by the youth of the characters. They can pretty much go as dark as they want since there's very little holding them back.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, as people have pointed out, "as dark as they want" appears to be not very dark.

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Bokurano" was disturbing but not in a bad way. I heard that the manga couldn't be published in the USA. Or maybe that was Narutaru which I believe is by the same writer/mangaka.

Anyway...

I really want both Meiko and Maicoomon to die because I'm frankly annoyed by both of them so with them out of the way, the series can finally focus on some shipping and slice of life. xD

Seriously though, I don't think anyone is going to die.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
AquaVersus said:

Broken dreams?

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
AquaVersus said:

Broken dreams?

Lmao...Tri already did kill my dreams so there's that!

Not really, I'm enjoying Tri but it's just not meeting some of my expectations is all. Which is why I joked that both Meiko and her Digimon should die so we can all collectively forget about them. xD

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not really, I'm enjoying Tri but it's just not meeting some of my expectations is all. Which is why I joked that both Meiko and her Digimon should die so we can all collectively forget about them. xD
Nah, if they killed off Meiko and Meicoomon, that would almost ensure we would remember them as the ones who died, whereas if they just fade into obscurity, they might be forgotten.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like Wallace.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wallace is remembered as the only one who ever kissed someone in Digimon ;).

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I vote no one, other than random bad guys I guess

zxraph

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I voted Maki.
Is something like this planned to happen at some point? I have no idea, there's no way to know... But since we're discussing it:
I feel like she could end up doing something really risky in order to try to fix everything that happened, then someone would suddenly appear (Daigo, the Chosen Children or Bakumon, who knows?) and try to help her out, but it's too late.

MajinAkuma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I voted Maki.
Is something like this planned to happen at some point? I have no idea, there's no way to know... But since we're discussing it:
I feel like she could end up doing something really risky in order to try to fix everything that happened, then someone would suddenly appear (Daigo, the Chosen Children or Bakumon, who knows?) and try to help her out, but it's too late.
So, you're expecting Himekawa to become the next Oikawa?

Last edited:

zxraph

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, you're expectigh Himekawa to become the next Oikawa?

Even If Oikawa did the the same thing at the end of 02, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again tbh.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That could be sad but it could happen. Sort of hope it doesn't.

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, you're expectigh Himekawa to become the next Oikawa?

Even If Oikawa did the the same thing at the end of 02, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again tbh.
Oikawa didn't sacrifice himself per se, he was already dying, then let his energy restore the Digital World.

If Maki dies, which I still am doubtful of, but not closed off to, I think you're right and that it will be more a true moment of self sacrifice.

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I voted Maki because of what she's gotten herself into. Now that she's going mad because Bakumon didn't recognise her I think that's going to lead to her undoing. But I also think Meicoomon will die as well. Leaving Meiko alone.

Solomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I voted Maki because of what she's gotten herself into. Now that she's going mad because Bakumon didn't recognise her I think that's going to lead to her undoing. But I also think Meicoomon will die as well. Leaving Meiko alone.
I agree so. I'd even go far to say that Meiko may die as well.

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is a possibility. And I wouldn't put it past the Tri writing team who seem to love drawing up scenarios of tragedy.