someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We got 3 sources
Anime (Canon)
Cards (???)
Games (???)

So which of these are canon? I'm trying to design my perfect digimon's evolution line. Are all of them canon?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes, they're all canon to whatever medium they originated in.

someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I mix and match them? For example, cards say Witchmon digivolves to Wisemon, video games says Wisemon digivolves to BelphemonSM, so can a digimon evolve into all 3?

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I mix and match them? For example, cards say Witchmon digivolves to Wisemon, video games says Wisemon digivolves to BelphemonSM, so can a digimon evolve into all 3?
Some Digimon can evolve into way more than 3 Digimon as well. So yes it is possible.

https://withthewill.net/threads/17959-Random-Commentary-on-Evolutionary-Relationships-V-4

You likely want to have a look at that thread as well.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It depend what you mean by canon. Technically everything is canon. An evoultion happened once on a card 20 years ago and hasn't happened since? well, it's still canon for the monster in particular.

But what most people tend to mean when they say "canon", is more along the lines of "story" evolutions. So, Agumon in the anime becomes Greymon - meaning Greymon is a canon Champion form of Agumon. Then you have profiles, where for example - Elecmon's official profile states it evolved from Tsunomon, so you'd probably count that too. If that's the route you wanna go, then that really makes things easier for you, since you can just check the anime, manga, games and so forth.

There's a handy handy big list of story/profile evolutions here:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/DigimonWiki:Digivolution_References

for example, say you want the anime:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/DigimonWiki:Digivolution_References/Adventure

this lists all the ones from season 1, then there's pages for each season and so forth.

Then you have the same for games, EG:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/DigimonWiki:Digivolution_References/Story

This is for Story games, and is split between main story evolutions and in game profile evolutions. So for example, in the first Story game BlackAgumon turns into DarkTyrannomon - so in that sense, that would count as a "canon" evolution for BlackAgumon. Then the "digimon story/world ds" profile for gabumon states it evolves from Tsunomon, etc. So it's down to you what you wanna treat as "canon" or not. If you puruse these lists, I'm sure you can make your mind up for what you wanna treat as canon.

Personally, I am the opinion of story and profile evolutions counting as "canon", with anything else as filler. So for example, Agumon in Cyber Sleuth can become Greymon, GeoGreymon, Sukamon, Tyrannomon, and Meramon. Agumon canon story wise becomes Greymon in the anime, and apparently he becomes Meramon/Centarumon in the manga. And then there's some BlackAgumon profiles that states Agumon turns evil and turns into BlackAgumon. So for those - I would count those as "canon" evolutions for Agumon. So from DSCS, that leaves Tyrannomon and Sukamon - well in that sense, I would just treat it as "filler". Every Digimon needs multiple evolutions in games/cards etc to make things more fun after all - and who knows, maybe one day an Agumon in the anime/game/manga whatever will turn into Sukamon as part of the story lol. So yes, that's how I see it, and for a lot of people (and the Digimon Wiki/Wikimon at least) see it as that way. But you also have those who think any evolution that has ever happened is canon, so that can mean Agumon would have 50 bajillion evolutions lol. Heck, I once saw someone on Reddit say that even evolutions that haven't happened yet are canon, because they CAN happen, meaning all Digimon have 1400+ canon evolutions lol. So yea... whatever way you wanna take it.

someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Muur

The problem with your approach is that 99% of the digimon don't have an anime evolution line given. So if we only accept anime as canon and the rest filler then you're stuck with Megas with no previous evolution forms. And determining which digimon are filler and which digimon are canon in games based on nothing but your own judgement is unacceptable unless you are some sort of authority in digimon like a direct designer/developer. Which means all "filler" digimon have just as much claim for canonicity as non-filler digimon. Because no official sources said they're filler/non-canon.

I recognize that the games have limited resources which is why they just stick digimon to random evolution lines like dianamon evolving from taomon because crescemon wasn't in the game, or Gatomon digivolving to Examon. And some of the card evos are really weird like Megadramon digivolving into Examon who is supposed to be a fusion of Breakdramon and Slayerdramon. But then you remember that the final forms predate their pre-evolved forms, and no official retcon has been given, so blah blah blah, I came to this forum for opinions :p

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with this mindset: "Unless an official retcon is given, all evolution lines are canon"

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Muur

The problem with your approach is that 99% of the digimon don't have an anime evolution line given. So if we only accept anime as canon and the rest filler then you're stuck with Megas with no previous evolution forms. And determining which digimon are filler and which digimon are canon in games based on nothing but your own judgement is unacceptable unless you are some sort of authority in digimon like a direct designer/developer. Which means all "filler" digimon have just as much claim for canonicity as non-filler digimon. Because no official sources said they're filler/non-canon.

I recognize that the games have limited resources which is why they just stick digimon to random evolution lines like dianamon evolving from taomon because crescemon wasn't in the game, or Gatomon digivolving to Examon. And some of the card evos are really weird like Megadramon digivolving into Examon who is supposed to be a fusion of Breakdramon and Slayerdramon. But then you remember that the final forms predate their pre-evolved forms, and no official retcon has been given, so blah blah blah, I came to this forum for opinions :p

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with this mindset: "Unless an official retcon is given, all evolution lines are canon"
Well I didn't say only the anime - I also counted Games, Manga, and official profiles. and yes, it would count as head canon I guess, I was merely giving you suggestions as to how you could do them for your own personal head canons.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is no limit to evolution possibilities, and all evolutions from every official medium are equally canon.
Everything besides is fan speculation misusing the term “canon”.

In addition to appearing in an official product canonicity is mostly only further defined via official statements of the creators and even that is debatable based on context. (And Digimon usually has very little official statements about the canonicity of anything… we tend to be on our own)

The joke is of course that most of the time when a question about canonicity is asked, the actual intention is much more specific and only tangentially related to actual canonicity (which tends to be too broad of a category to be useful). The core of the question “Is evolution X canon” tends to be “how common is evolution x in the franchise and how likely is it that future products will reuse the same evolution?”. It’s a matter of precedent and general predictive power, because fan writers and fan artists sometimes tend to have a fixation to have their creations mirror as much of the official media as possible rather than just some or one of them.

There are innumerable factors for how likely an evolution is to reoccur. Of course, if a Digimon is a specific character, works in the same continuity will likely keep its evolution. If other Digimon have been specifically designed as a pre-evolution, of course they would also be commonly used.
Digimon’s A’s original pre-evolution in the first product it appeared in has a higher chance to be reused than its tenth evolution option 20 products later. Or if a Digimon evolves from a Digimon B that is or becomes super popular, that evolution has good chances to be reused because the popularity of Digimon B raises the chances of both monsters appearing in future products together.
And so on, and so forth.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Canonized evolutions fascinate me. I find it interesting with all the different combinations and such. But what I cannot stand is evolutionary dead beginnings, not ends. I get some things cannot reach ultimate levels, but why do Neamon and Bokomon not have baby II and baby forms? That really bugs me. I can't believe they spontaneously appeared out of a digiegg or into the Digital World as child level Digimon.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Canonized evolutions fascinate me. I find it interesting with all the different combinations and such. But what I cannot stand is evolutionary dead beginnings, not ends. I get some things cannot reach ultimate levels, but why do Neamon and Bokomon not have baby II and baby forms? That really bugs me. I can't believe they spontaneously appeared out of a digiegg or into the Digital World as child level Digimon.
Theyll have baby forms. Just haven't been assigned one yet. In fact Bokomon is implied to have one as in Dawn/Dusk he wonders why he wasn't reverted to his baby form like everyone else.

someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, so the digimon evolution line I came up with is
Digitama
->Kuramon(movie)
->Tsumemon(movie)
->Tukaimon(Digimon next order, sunburst, and moonlight)
->Witchmon(Bo-1003, Digimon Masters)
->Wisemon(Bo-1004)
->BelphemonSM(Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Linkz, and Hacker's Memory)
->BelphemonRM
->BelphemonRM X-Antibody

Digimon Reference guide shows that BelphemonRM is about half the height of Examon when he's standing up instead of crouching.
Digimon Savers showed Belphemon can increase his size (probably indefinitely) by at least 2 fold by absorbing energy such as electricity so he can be as big as or possibly taller than Examon.
Digimon Savers showed Belphemon can shoot beams out of his mouth and dark wind blasts out of his hands even though these attacks have no name.
Digimon Savers showed how Lampranthus looks like even if it's shot out from BelphemonSM
Digimon Cyber Sleuth showed how Gift of Darkness looks like. And possibly the other cards.
Tailmon/Gatomon showed partner digimon can stay as champions indefinitely instead of rookies. Also XROS wars showed a Witchmon as a partner digimon.
Digimon Savers showed BelphemonRM can smile, and when he does he looks absolutely terrifying! Digimon Cyber Sleuth showed BelphemonRM is an Ultra (aka Super Ultimate) level digimon.

I prefer SkullGreymon as the perfect form but alas I cannot find a way to get him to become Belphemon without relying on jogress/fusion.

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Canon does seem like a loose term, given that they're all technically official media. Given the fact that a large number of Digimon don't really have a tailored evolution nor pre-evolution, it's often just open to interpretation.
There is however evolutions that we do accept it as the main one, because they are commonly used with a specific in mind (and/or featured in the anime), such as Betamon evolving into Seadramon. I also would like to think it could just be simply out of a popularity contest on what's considered "mainline", but you can still interpret it in any way you like. Like, little may know that Angemon was initially unrelated to Patamon prior to the anime, Patamon would've normally evolved into Unimon as the default evolution and wouldn't have evolved into Angemon at all, despite both Digimon debutting from the same line of V-Pets (Digital Monster). Wonder if that's why they introduced Pegasusmon later.

It's also probably should be said, the evolutions used into alternatives aren't always completely random. Usually there may be a matching type involved, part of a similar group, from the same V-Pet, or maybe simply by a likeness in design/concept, since Digimon tend to be designed in groups with similar traits. It's actually no coincidence that Holydramon and Saberleomon do look alike, or how Gazimon and Gizamon's names are practically anagrams of each other.

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Talking back to a member of staff is never going to end well. I've removed the post. I strongly suggest you don't re post it or similar.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Canon does seem like a loose term, given that they're all technically official media.
Right, it’s all canon so long as it was released by Bandai or Toei.

I do think there is something to be said about how certain evolutions just making more sense than others.

Like, little may know that Angemon was initially unrelated to Patamon prior to the anime, Patamon would've normally evolved into Unimon as the default evolution and wouldn't have evolved into Angemon at all, despite both Digimon debutting from the same line of V-Pets (Digital Monster). Wonder if that's why they introduced Pegasusmon later.
If I’m not mistaken Angemon debuted in the second line of v-pets as one of Gabumon’s evolutions and Patamon debuted in the third.

Centauromon was another potential evolution for Patamon so it’s only natural they would give him a horse related evolution in 02 I suppose

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They presumably saw Unimon as Patamon's original makes-sense evolution, since they're both winged mammals, and their attack names (Air Shot and Holy Shot) are similar. But yes, version 2 was the debut of not only Angemon, but of Kabuterimon and Birdramon as well, all of which of course would later be linked to different Child forms.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was looking through this Evolution Predictor for Digimon World the other day, and it seems Patamon was given preferential digivolution to Angemon in this game (which up to that point I thought was a mechanic unique to Next 0rder). I checked some of the other Rookies, and a few of them line up too, though some favour more than two and/or don't match the anime series.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was looking through this Evolution Predictor for Digimon World the other day, and it seems Patamon was given preferential digivolution to Angemon in this game (which up to that point I thought was a mechanic unique to Next 0rder). I checked some of the other Rookies, and a few of them line up too, though some favour more than two and/or don't match the anime series.
Most of the non-Taichi Digimon partners from Adventure came from the pendulum series. (I believe Lillimon was either created for the show or debuted before any of the video games or virtual pets, likewise Pyocomon debuted a few months in the anime before elsewhere but Bandai might of had the character designs already to give to Toei). Angemon being an evolution to Patamon came from Digimon World. (I think Angemon was an evolution for Gabumon in the 2nd v-pet to contrast Agumon’s ability to become Devimon in the first?). HolyAngemon was created for the V-Tamer manga and I believe the anime was the first to make the connection that Angemon>HolyAngemon.The anime tended to be a lot better at streaming evolution lines though. Like I don’t think Saberleomon and MetalEtemon were associated with Leomon or Etemon at all pre-anime.