Which DVD set is the best?

Tippy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was having a hard time finding my answer in the search tools, so please forgive me if this has been asked before!

So basically, I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting every series on DVD. I've seen a few box sets that offer Season 1-4 bundled together, but firstly I'm not sure what is legit and what is a knock-off. Second, I'd like to get the ones that come in the best possible picture/sound quality, even if it means settling for series broken up into multiple volumes or whatever. A box set is ideal, but if the picture if poor because they're trying to smoosh too much stuff on the discs, then it isn't worth it.

Can someone show me which DVD's are the best and also legitimate products? Thanks so much!

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm assuming you're in the America's. The 1-4 bundle is probably the best deal price wise. I believe it was distributed by Flatiron Film Company. I got season 1 and 2 separately in the 8 DISC sets, and I think the price for the two of them together was about the price of the 1-4 bundle. I think getting each volume separately (I think each season has 3 sets) it usually comes to more.

If they're charging less than 40 dollars for the full series on ebay. It's probably fake.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is only one set of discs in the US for:
Adventure/Season 1
Zero-Two/Season 2
Tamers/Season 3
Frontier/Season 4

Whether you get them in the season sets, the set of all 4, or the 'chopped into volumes' (I think these stopped partway or at the end of Tamers) the discs are the same.

Data Squad and Fusion are the season sets (2 for Fusion). Fusion also got 'volumes' which never finished I think.

As mentioned above, they are often listed as being from Flatiron. You may also see the name 'New Video' or 'Cinedigm' associated with them. It's all the same company.

The Amazon list that made for some articles. These sets are beginning to vanish.: (affiliate links)
Digimon Season 1 (Adventure)
Digimon Season 2 (Zero-Two)
Digimon Season 3 (Tamers)
Digimon Season 4 (Frontier)
Digimon Season 1 thru 4 Boxset
Digimon Data Squad
Digimon Fusion Season 1
Digimon Fusion Season 2

Right Stuf still has some Season 1 sets left, the rest are gone from there. Basically just know where you are buying from and how they stock stuff.

Last edited:

Tippy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you so much for the help, guys! This will make my quest a whole lot easier. And yes, Golden_Fate, I am from the US. Sorry, I should've mentioned that sooner.

So Marc, are you saying that the quality of the footage is pretty much the same no matter which I choose? If that's the case, then I wonder if any of these come with special features. I personally love when they include little "the making of" segments or commentary from the director or voice cast. Whether or not any of them have stuff like that, it will really drive my decisions at this point.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you so much for the help, guys! This will make my quest a whole lot easier. And yes, Golden_Fate, I am from the US. Sorry, I should've mentioned that sooner.

So Marc, are you saying that the quality of the footage is pretty much the same no matter which I choose? If that's the case, then I wonder if any of these come with special features. I personally love when they include little "the making of" segments or commentary from the director or voice cast. Whether or not any of them have stuff like that, it will really drive my decisions at this point.
I'm saying the data on the discs is the same, regardless of which version you get, at least as far as I'm aware. (The labels may be different, but I haven't seen them all to comment on that.)

Extras are minimal to none. They are minimal enough that I honestly don't remember what is on them.

The 4 season set comes with a box to hold the 4 and a poster as I recall.

If you want extras, the tri. and Kizuna discs have some decentish ones.

Tippy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you want extras, the tri. and Kizuna discs have some decentish ones.
Yep I started watching the "20 Years of Digimon" on my Kizuna disc and it was really sweet, but I stopped myself because I'd rather that my friend and I watch all of it together since we're both big fans. I'm buying up the Tri dvds as I see them go up for good prices on ebay, so I'm looking forward to seeing the special features as I go along.

Thank you again for the help!

Tippy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh! I've only just realized an important detail that you mentioned earlier. So Fusion was never completed as far as dvd released go? Geez, I guess it was really that bad that they were like "no one is going to buy this, so let's no bother." I mean that series was never my cup of tea either, but as a completionist that bothers me so much! So I guess I will have to add Fusion season 3 to the list of DVDs I must resign myself to never having... up there with Revenge of Diaboromon and the Tamers movies... which I'm still quite salty about.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh! I've only just realized an important detail that you mentioned earlier. So Fusion was never completed as far as dvd released go? Geez, I guess it was really that bad that they were like "no one is going to buy this, so let's no bother." I mean that series was never my cup of tea either, but as a completionist that bothers me so much! So I guess I will have to add Fusion season 3 to the list of DVDs I must resign myself to never having... up there with Revenge of Diaboromon and the Tamers movies... which I'm still quite salty about.
There's DVDs of all the dubbed episodes. Season three was just never dubbed.

Tippy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's DVDs of all the dubbed episodes. Season three was just never dubbed.
Wow. So the network seriously just gave up on it completely? That's sad, but not completely unexpected. I've only seen the first 5 or 6 episodes and that's all I could handle. I still want to try and power through them all eventually though.