What's Up With Marc

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm hitting the fun part of mental/emotional exhaustion.

Where physically I'm fine, but I'm looking at this stuff in Photoshop so much, I can actively feel myself annoyed with it.

Like, I'm actually annoyed with scans of inanimate objects (it probably doesn't help that sitting working over scans like this is incredibly monotonous.)

My goal is to finish the actual scan edits tonight, that way everything I do tomorrow is doing the off disc stuff I need to do, and then write and put together the actual article.

Listening to Ninja Sex Party's new cover album as I hopefully finish this stuff up.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finished all but 2 which I should be able to finish tomorrow and do everything else I need to do for the article tomorrow easily enough.

Due to a uniqueness in Zero-Two's production, which I've mentioned before, I actually have to do a full range of screencaps and writeups for video quality based on at least 2 episodes instead of 1.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So as I get ready to start today, down to 2 scans.

While only 2 are left, they're the ones most likely to need extra time and work, but most of it is a bit more active than much of the work on the others took, so it should go well.

These two, the physical items were so big in one direction, that it was actually hard to scan them properly.

I also think I'm hitting a wall with the current descreener filter, even when it's being customized. There is a nicer more high end one, but I don't really want to spend the money at the moment.

I do admit wondering if I should go down to 1200 or 1600 dpi for the next thing to be scanned and edited.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Done.

Onto resizing and saving as final JPGs for uploading.

Then just have the on disk stuff to do, which shouldn't take long.

Small preview

I don't remember what size this is from the original full size edit to be honest. Probably between 10 or 25%.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For now I will likely skim and nab screenshots from the 2 episodes I need to, and then relax for a bit.

I will likely attempt to write the article and get it up either late tonight, or earlier tomorrow.

It kind of blows my mind that when these scans were lower resolution that I was able to do most of this stuff in roughly a day.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Taking a break for a bit.

Everything is done, writing, scans, editing, screencaps, etc.

Just a matter of assembling everything and getting it up.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just a bit away from having to do all of that again.

Donations have been decent so I suspect I'll be doing the Seven tri. version CD and the BD of tri. part 2 as those come out (more donations always help.)

Seven should go quick and easy, because there just isn't much to do overall.

tri. part 2 should be on the same scale as tri. part 1 or the 02 BD box.

I've been jumping through a few different comics to read during my downtime. At the moment I'm back on Street Fighter and nearly done with it.

When I finish it I might re-read through their Sakura miniseries. Omar Dogan's art of Sakura always bring a smile to my face, so when I finished the current volume of SF I was reading last night I was quite pleased to see an extended sketch/art gallery with tons of art from various artists, including him.

Small preview of that.

Image Thumbnail

I really recommend Udon's entire SF comic line. I find all of it really enjoyable.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I expect Seven will show up tomorrow, assuming the delivery company shows up.

It's a small enough release, scan wise, that I expect it will go up before the day is up.

I may spend some time seeing how lower DPI scans work out (doing the same thing and my various editing to it multiple times at different DPI) because the big mack daddy scans are killer time-wise, so I'd like to see if the extra time actually leads to a better end result for everyone.

I don't mind spending the time, but not if it's a waste.

I'll likely toss examples up here.

Been reading a bunch of different comics the last week or two. Re-read Dark Knight Returns (it's interesting just how striking that book can still be) among others...

At the moment I'm reading some of the current run of Transformers (well, re-reading, I haven't read some of the later stuff, but the early stuff I have.)

Image Thumbnail

I'd probably place it in the top 5 of currently running comics, top 10 for sure.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Days like today make me hate DHL with a passion.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Listening to Ninja Sex Party's new cover album as I hopefully finish this stuff up.
Did they release the third installment of the Starbomb trilogy already?
Ninja Sex Party and Starbomb are not the same group, although both members of Ninja Sex Party are in Starbomb.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I mentioned in the Seven scans thread (and here earlier) that I'd throw up some comparisons between different scan DPIs, to figure out what I should do in the future, if you guys want input.

On my old scanners I generally went to around 1200 or 1600 dpi, but even doing that on the new scanner will lead to better quality because of the newer generation of imaging technology.

I believe in the thread I used the 2400 dpi one.

Here is a whole stack of them.

Each had identical processes used, and were then saved the same way to identical resolutions with the same JPG settings. Any differences are based on the fact that I do all the edits and stuff by hand, so there can be differences if I decide to rotate one different, notice and decide to fix different image issues, etc.

http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventricover3200.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventricover2400.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventricover1600.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventricover1200.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventricover600.jpg

DPI number is at the end of the file name. The higher the DPI, the higher the scanning time, but more importantly, it significantly increases the amount of time editing can take due to various things.

I also did crops of Taichi's head on the cover, and left them at their raw scanned resolution. They have been saved as lossless PNGs.

http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventaichi3200.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventaichi2400.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventaichi1600.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventaichi1200.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/marcfbr/seventaichi600.png

Let me know what you think, and feel free to ask any questions you want.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lots and lots of scanning after a long stressful day.

Will take a few days of editing after scanning tonight most likely.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
About to start the job of editing the images.

First though... double checking that every untouched scan is backed up in another folder, in case I screw up and save over something...

Got a playlist of music up, so.... editing ahoy.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been going at full bore and am maybe 1/3rd or so through (probably a bit less, the early ones require less editing.)

Likely will tap out soon tonight.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Primary editing is done.
Screencapping the Blu-ray is done.

At this point the list is...

Resize and compress the scans.
Rename and upload the scans.
Rename and upload the screencaps.
Write the article.

I expect I'll be doing that Friday and the weekend.

Woke up yesterday with my back bothering me, but was able to finish the editing.
Woke up again today with it bothering me, so until it feels better I'll be relaxing.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
tri. part 2 will be up hopefully this weekend.

Various real life things have been sucking up my time.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Someone asked me for my reading list as they liked that I always mentioned comics, books, audiobooks, etc.

I tend to jump around a lot, but these are all things I'm in the middle of, or plan to read in the next few days (some are things I've read before, others are new.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Treble-Clef

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How are you enjoying Jem? I have a friend that likes it a lot but I've been apprehensive to try it myself.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How are you enjoying Jem? I have a friend that likes it a lot but I've been apprehensive to try it myself.
I've read almost none of it honestly.

It's on the extreme short list, and I've recommended it because it's supposed to be great, and I'm 99% sure I'll love it.

But Arale takes priority.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

Ho-yo-yo!