What's Up With Marc

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: What's Up With the goc

...they make flavored bottled water for dogs now....

that is all

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=8200.msg109399#msg109399 date=1214388854]
that is all
[/quote]

....say what!

arvind102

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=8200.msg109399#msg109399 date=1214388854]

that is all
[/quote]
That is freaking awesome :D!. But wait a sec whats the dif?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

If it seems like I'm not on the forums alot the next few days, it's because I'm doing something on the technical side for a movie that will be coming out at the end of the summer.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

A week early, but I got my first birthday gift.

The id Super Pack on Steam.

Screencap of my current Steam game list, anything with a red dot next it was in the id pack I got as a gift

http://www.db-destiny.net/steam-earlybdayupdate.jpg

The new stuff makes my Steam library look MASSIVE, doesn't it?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

FEAR MY NEW AVATAR!

also, less then 24 hours till the goc birthday, I demand many presents of vidya games on Steam, or Amazon gift certificate thingies...

I DEMAND IT (in reality if I got one thing from either of those from anyone at WtW I'd probably keel over from shock).

Osakamon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hey it's Koenma! Stangly fitting ;D

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

goc is getting dragged away for the holiday against my will...

once i leave in a couple hours i wont be back till late saturday

try and survive with the 3 stooges in charge (vande or beo is shemp, havent decided that one)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Never been the biggest person regarding talking about myself, but figured if I was ever going to post here again...

Tablet has a catastrophic hardware failure.

Based on how I can't even get into the stock android recovery to try and do anything, it seems almost certainly a motherboard issue, and since I got it in 2013 it'd be out of warranty.

Things always seem to go horribly wrong and crazy when you can't spend the money to fix/replace them.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The tablet I haven't heard back from them in a few weeks, so it appears Asus has just decided to leave me out in the cold since the official warranty period is up.

A separate TV issue from Vizio I received an email apology to a email I wrote them, along with an offer to swap out my TV for a better one. They paid a delivery company to come take my TV off my mounting equipment, mount the new TV, and take the old TV so I didn't have to ship it to Vizio.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Been sick off and on for a few weeks, so been putting off some random things I need to do.

Starting to feel better so likely going to get to them soon.

Last few weeks have basically been resting, looking for full time work, with the occasional time spent reading before bed.

Being sick has made me a touch more distant and moody when people are talking to me, as it's dragged on a few weeks not feeling well.

Been taking advantage of some super discount digital comics and manga as my late night reading material to try and keep my mood up a bit.

Image Thumbnail

Reading Yu Yu Hakusho at the moment. Random inter-splicing with other books also.

Shocked and excited about some of the Star Wars comic sales being done with the new movie coming out. Likely can't get them because of cost, but still (they're selling the omnibusses... omnibi? of the original old Marvel Star Wars books at extreme discounts. The first one has 27 issues and is 10 bucks at the moment.)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
tri. Part 1 Blu-ray came today (After being delayed due to a shipping issue.)

Currently in the midst of doing high resolution scans of everything before I edit them and write up an article tomorrow.

I was hoping to get the editing of images done tonight, but there are more than I expected (I'm in the dozens of images and past 20 gigs in raw scans.)

I expect I'll take screenshots tonight, edit tomorrow once I get up, and after hours of that, write whatever I need to put up everything.

This is going to be the most detailed product I've ever scanned and edited, as I'm literally doing everything.

I'm hopeful people will donate so I can do the same when Zero-Two and tri. part 2 comes out in a few months (hopefully without the shipping delay.)

Today in general has been a crappy day, so spending all the time scanning has given me something to do.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Small preview before bed. I haven't done any editing yet. To time and energy consuming after a rough day.

Image Thumbnail

That is cropped directly out of one of the scans in one of the booklets. It's about 1 meg as a PNG.

That's a rather tiny piece of one page. In the physical space that small cropped image of Omegamon's head is no larger than .3 inch (.75 cm)

I've embedded it as a small thumbnail, click it and see how large less than half an inch is scanned at a high resolution.

The delivery was delayed by a day, and because of the holiday season it came past 4pm instead of in the morning (as most import products do when I order them.) Because of things I couldn't delay, I wasn't able to start scanning until around... 8:30pm or so?

Scanning everything took a few good hours late at night. I honestly don't know exactly how long. I just pull out the scanner and start scanning and at some point realize a very long time has passed (in the case of something with a lot of things to scan like tri. part 1.)

Tomorrow I'll be going through every bit I scanned and doing the following.

Using a descreening process to mesh the colors together better (on anything that needs descreening, certain things don't.)
Rotating bits that didn't scan straight. Using a scanner's built in ruler makes things easier, but you lose a tiny bit. In this case I wanted to make sure I got everything, which means I'll have to manually rotate.
Cleaning up of any (major...ish) damage. Did a hair fall on the scanner? Was there a dent or nick in paper that is obvious? I don't do a professional level job because it would just take to long, but I give most pages a once or twice over.
Fixing color levels. Scans often don't appear 'quite' right, so I re-level bits. The new scanner scans at a much better quality, so this is far less of an issue than it was with say... the emergency AiO printer which I used earlier in the year. I still do minor color touch up on each image.
Cropping out any kibble on the side for a (relatively) clean image. You lose a few pixels on the side for a clean edge, but it leaves the image looking great.
At this point I save each image as a PNG. These scans are all at 2400dpi (the highest the scanner would go with scans of this size) so saving these will likely take 5 minutes or more for each.

Once I'm done I open the PNG files, find the right size (generally between 1500 and 2000 across) and save them as a high quality JPG for uploading. I do this manually 1 by 1 instead of a batch file so that any issues I'll notice during resize and can adjust the size for a specific image if necessary. Various filters could be used for the resizing down, but I find Bicubic gets the look I want rather well.

The original BMP scans, and PNG edits are kept in case I ever need to revisit them in the future.

At this point, no editing has been done (as mentioned above) to the raw BMP scans. The raw scans for tri. part 1 are over 23 gigs.

I went ahead and did the rest of the prep I need to do though.

Used a custom process I have to properly screencap the Blu-ray menu (Prior to this process I used to just take a photo and try and edit it as good as I could, and apologize for the quality.)

Took a fair range of relatively random screenshots from the film/OVA as 1920x1080 PNG files. I took 39, but before finalizing what I upload I'll dig through them and make sure I didn't get any frames that aren't worth uploading. Ones not worth uploading are generally shots that just don't look good in screencap form: people half on screen, half running off screen, etc. Frames that just don't work as a static screenshot.

I've also done a detailed scan and analysis of any codecs used in video and audio, bitrates, and further information worth mentioning.

I don't have any specific thoughts written yet, most I tend to write as I'm writing the actual article. It comes across as more casual, but I feel like it's a bit more honest, at least in the way I write.

Before I write I'll dig through the BD one last time to write down any small notes I might not recall while writing the article (list of extras, any oddities, and so forth.)

Thought those of you who care might appreciate some insight into the process I use when I do these breakdowns.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After a full day I just got everything edited as I mentioned above.

Realistically it is to late and I'm to tired to write up an article and get it up.

On the plus side, it means it'll be one of the first things I do tomorrow.

But don't worry, I wouldn't leave you guys hanging without a small preview....

I give you.....

SHOE! Well... technically cleat....

Total count is 34 images after scanning and editing, with more than a few of those double pages I decided looked better without being split apart... so it's actually closer to 40 or so.

And another 38 lossless screencaps from the BD (and a handful of menu shots on top of that.

And here is one more preview...

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At the moment just doing my best not to snap at people, in the midst of what is likely the most stressful and draining point in my life thus far.