What's that old guy up to?

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mmmmm bow bow bow bow bow bow ba-da-ba-da ba-da-baaaa ba-da-baaa
<sits down backwards in chair>
What's happening, my brotha's?

(Gets the feeling very few people will actually get that intro.)

Well, I'm still working on my PhD. Mechanical Engineering, trying to develop a hybrid two-phase code to interface moderate-scale traditional continuum CFD with nanoscale molecular dynamics CFD, blah blah blah.
Right now, on my dissertation topic, I'm trying to get the continuum code some other guy wrote to work for different input conditions, and it's a real pain because doing what it looks like I should be able to do doesn't seem to work (you should see what some of these bubbles are doing; it's crizazy), and of course the documentation (if you can call it that) doesn't cover it, so I'm basically having to go through the thousands of lines of crazy-ass code to basically reverse-engineer the solvers they're using and try to figure out exactly what it is they're expecting that we're not giving them.
And of course, on top of that, I'm running simulations almost 24/7 to get good parametric data, which means doing anything else on my computer goes really slow, and I can't reboot to get into my Linux partition until a run ends (which is often several hours). And now, I need to start running on finer grids, which means -- hooray -- 3-8 times as long for a run.

Well, my class is going alright, I still need to redo that one exam problem that I didn't get to work out, but I think I was really close before, so hopefully it won't take too long. Just a couple more weeks, and I'll have a lot more free time to work on my research.
I'm almost finished preparing the final for the lab I teach, so that's good.
I did stupidly volunteer for the organizing committee for our Graduate Student Conference this Saturday, so that's kept me pretty busy updating the Website, going to meetings, and such. And I'm the only one who still has stuff to do after the conference is over. >u<#
I still think the worst thing, though, is having to wear a suit this Saturday. Seriously, it's almost 90° out there (I'd do the math for you non-Americans, but it's too hot).

Yeah, I hate Louisiana weather. We have, like two or three weeks of winter a year (usually not consecutively, either). Some of the spring/fall weather can be kind of pleasant, but then you get the real summer weather like we've had this week, and I'm in utter agony. All I can say is, "Thank God for air conditioning."

Well, now that I'm done ranting, it's time for the fun stuff.

Let's see... fun stuff, fun stuff.
Oh, I did finish LoZ: The Minish Cap. Now I'm playing through it again, but in French this time (I got a new French office-mate, and realized my mastery of the language had gone the way of Dave Coulier's career). Once I get back into practice, I might also try shinobi.fr (it's a free Naruto-based MMORPG, but it's all in French).
And my GL/GLC subscriptions did start coming in this month. I got to see that chick who played possum with a power ring officially become a GL, and saw Part I of Hal Jordan's backstory, which was interesting.
I guess that's about it. Man, I really need to get a life, don't I?

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
LOL, I actually had set it aside for a month because I got stuck on part of Mt. Gonggle. Turns out I just needed the boomerang, which I hadn't realized I could afford. >.<'
Yeah, after that, it was pretty easy. Then again, I kind of like the easy games, as I mostly use them to unwind for a bit before going to sleep.

dragoonpreston

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Where I live it gets in to the 100+ heat... that's why I hate living in a desert. :'(

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, but I've been in semi-arid Texas when it was 108, and I still say 95° with 95% humidity is worse. Anyway, it was overcast most of the day yesterday, so it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, the conference went well. I still have to make some minor updates to the Website and upload all the photos, but the event itself is over. Somehow, even with five students on the organizing committee, I ended up having to chair 3 out of the 7 sessions. At least they gave us food and beer afterwards.

Oh, and Thursday evening, I was actually going to get home early (I left school at 8:00 instead of 9:00 or so), then someone rear-ended me just after I got off the interstate. Somehow, we ended up pulling into different parking lots, so I had to wait half an hour on the police just to find out they were half a block down the street. No one was hurt, although the car behind me was pretty banged up (her airbags even went off). Turns out the guy behind her hit her and knocked her into me. He claimed someone hit him first and then drove off, but the evidence seemed to indicate otherwise. Well, I thought my van had come through it unscathed (which is why I was so surprised her car was so damaged), but in the light of morning, I noticed my rear door had been dented pretty noticeably. It looks like it's mostly cosmetic, though, so I may not bother to get it fixed. I'm actually more annoyed that I didn't get home until 9:30, and that I had to dig the huge pile of change that I usually keep on my dash out of my little trash can. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

digiboy123

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Your dissertation, huh? :/ I hate doing those.

Good luck!

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I didn't notice it myself at first, but apparently my van's had some kind leak for a while now, which recently started getting really bad. I took it in to the shop this morning, and it turns out it was transmission fluid. >.<#
I got it into the transmission place, but he said it'll probably be Tuesday before he'll get a chance to start on it. And it's gonna cost nearly $600 to fix. (Definitely better than having to rebuild the transmission again, but still stings a bit.) And, of course, this leaves me without a car for the next several days.

Well, at least I don't have to be anywhere in particular until Friday. Now I just have to see if I can really do my exam/homework at home. *sigh*

And I finished off my bottle of Scotch last night, too. I could sure use a drink right about now.

I did finally get the conference photos uploaded, though, so that's something. And I got my lab students' final exams graded and their grades submitted. One more week, and I'll be a free man. ...for a week or two, at least.

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I got back from Virginia on Tuesday. Flew up with my parents on Friday to visit my brother and his wife and twin girls. On the drive back from the New Orleans airport, my accelerator all of a sudden started going slack. I managed to get home, although I had to floor it just to get up to about 2000 RPM. I was finally able to drop it off at the shop yesterday (after waiting for an opening and then getting a neighbor to come pick me up). Apparently the cable failed (he said it melted from the exhaust or something? Doesn't make sense to me, but I'll get the whole story when I pick it up). Not too expensive, thankfully, but I have been stuck at home for the past few days.

Luckily, when I got home on Tuesday, I found my DS waiting for me, with Digimon World Dusk and Pokemon Pearl (Super Mario Bros. arrived the next day). Yes, my thumb is sore. ^_^
I haven't been able to Wi-fi, yet, but I just found where my dad stuck the wireless router, so I'll probably see if I can get it set up later today.

Oh, and I got an A in my Fluids class. Not surprised really, but I was a little uncertain there for a bit. Actually, if you re-arrange my grades for the semester, I got P-A-S-S, which I guess is a good omen? [size=1pt](Unless it's ASPS, which I guess means I should re-watch the Indiana Jones movies??)[/size]

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't worry, that'll be next. ^_^
Actually, I've already gotten 6 Sinnoh gym badges and finished 25% of the Tamer quests, so these games may not last as long as I thought. [size=1pt](Especially if I keep playing 'til 2 in the morning like I did last night.)[/size]
SMB is fun, too, but even more so are the mini-games. Maybe I should have gone for Mario Party? Eh, but you probably need friends with DS's for most of the games, anyway.

Oh, I saw the new Indy flick this weekend (Jones, that is). All the hype seems to be well justified. Love, drama, betrayal, and the mother of all action sequences. Definitely go see it if you haven't yet.
Plot Spoilers:
While watching it, at first I was like, "Aliens? Roswell? Physics-defying magnetic skeletons?! This is too unbelieveable," but then I remembered the plots of the first three, and I was OK with it.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Eimon link=topic=8228.msg105512#msg105512 date=1212431443]
Actually, I've already gotten 6 Sinnoh gym badges and finished 25% of the Tamer quests, so these games may not last as long as I thought. [size=1pt](Especially if I keep playing 'til 2 in the morning like I did last night.)[/size][/quote]

so much for not getting addicted :D

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's been a while, huh?

I did buy a new car a couple of weeks ago (well, used car, that is). A little 2002 Mazda 626, hoping it would get better mileage than my '95 Grand Caravan, among other things. It's different driving such a smaller engine, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Haven't been online for the past few days. I started getting sick around Monday or Tuesday. Sore throat, fever, headache, a little vomiting, the usual. By Friday, my fever seemed to have passed, and I got my appetite back. Whenever I would try to eat or drink anything, however, I would get a pain in my lower esophagus/upper stomach area. (At first, I thought it was just upset stomach, but the pain has gotten worse since then.) And of course my throat is still sore, too. So whenever I try to eat or drink, it hurts slightly, then a few seconds later it hurts like hell. Despite being hungry (and almost certainly dehydrated), I can't get more than a few swallows down before the pain is too intense to even think of eating/drinking any more.

I'll have to call the school infirmary first thing in the morning and see if they have any slots open. Hopefully it's something simple, like an infection or the start of an ulcer or something. I just keep imagining that they're gonna tell me my stomach has further herniated into my chest, and it's pushing against my heart, and they're gonna have to rush me to surgery, or something like that.

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I'm in Urbana, Illinois attending a workshop on parallel programming and the TeraGrid network.
On the plane ride over, I met Dr. Yang from SU who's going, too. Then this morning, I saw one of the Persian (Iranian?) students from LSU, whose name I can never seem to remember. He actually drove up here, and offered us a ride to campus (where the workshop is) this afternoon. After today's part was over, however, he disappeared. Somehow, Dr. Yang talked me into walking back to the hotel (my original plan was a taxi). A 1.5-mile walk in 80 degree weather was not something I was looking forward to. After a nice big plate of fish & chips and a not-awful cup of tea, though, I'm feeling contented.

Of course, I'm stuck with my ancient laptop that doesn't run on battery power, and where the keyboard above the HD is fried, so you have to press those keys really hard, and sometimes several times.
R,E,A,S,D,Z,X,C,1,2,3 - try avoiding those keys; not so easy.
Anyway, there's more, but, you know, the keybo.

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I had an interesting experience last night. Got home around 8:30, read my just-arrived issue of GLC (apparently love makes you look like a creepy zombie?), watched some forgettable TV, then around 10:00 or so put on Savers on my desktop and went to bed. Around 1:30, I regained a glimmer of consciousness. Apparently, my brain had been trying to figure out the mathematical formulation for some problem in my sleep (something about transforming spatial and possibly temporal coordinates, and the significance of some reference point), but couldn't get it. I guess that was frustrating enough to wake me up, so I continued to try to figure it out for a bit while trying in vain to go back to sleep. By 2:00, I was fully awake. It was at this point that I realized why I couldn't solve the problem -- there was no problem. I had dreamt that there was a problem, but my dream hadn't specified what the problem was, or any physical significance to it. No wonder I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up, got a drink, and wandered about the house for a bit. I also realized what had probably made me dream of that. One of the last things I saw before closing my eyes was Satsuma talking about the Noguchi's "superspace" research. I vaguely remember thinking something along the lines of, "Hmm, they made that word up; I wonder what superspace would be," before falling asleep. I think the comics influenced it, too. I remember at least one equation being in a bold green font, and there was something about someone flying through space (without a ship). After putting Savers back on, I did finally manage to fall asleep again until 7:30 when my alarm went off. Incidentally, I later realized that I had been mistaken -- that I did in fact specify a valid problem, and subsequently proceeded to come up with a solution, which eased me greatly. On my way to school this morning, though, I realized that that part happened in another dream. Whatever. At least it was over.

Got up. Finally remembered to get gas. Went to class. Tried to pretend the teacher wasn't just following the book exactly and that there was actually some good reason to pay attention. Got Monday's homework out of the way. Now would be a good time to work on my Monte Carlo project, or that bitch of an assignment for the class I'm not really taking, or even make some progress on my dissertation project other than sitting there watching simulations run. Instead, I'm sitting here typing up my life story, apparently, and killing time until the seminar.

As soon as the seminar lets out, I have to hurry home, pack my stuff, and go animal-sit at my sister's house in Lafayette all weekend while she's at Voodoo-fest in New Orleans. I'm bringing my homework with me, as it would be an ideal time to get it done. On the other hand, she's got the Sims 2, Spore, and other fun stuff on her computers, so we'll see how that actually plays out.

Speaking of which, my laptop supposedly shipped out yesterday. Should arrive mid-to-late next week. Went ahead and built a Dell, as it wasn't terribly more expensive than the deals we'd been finding, and I could actually get exactly what I wanted (more or less). We'll see if being lazy and indecisive pays off. I've also been looking at apartments (just online so far). Probably won't actually move until December or January, but I figured I should probably start now to avoid losing opportunities. No MD class next week, so maybe I'll actually be able to go see some of them.