What would you like to see in Digimon Adventure: (2020)?

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Obviously there's wider story stuff that I'd like to see, but just a specific one.... I'd like to see Plotmon as Hikari's base level Digimon. I'd love an episode where Plotmon evolves for the first time to protect Hikari from a huge adult digimon and everyone's like "Is that it? She's hardly any bigger!" Then Tailmon proceeds to kick the bejeebus out of the bad guy.
They did that joke in Rearize and it was pretty funny.

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Obviously there's wider story stuff that I'd like to see, but just a specific one....

I'd like to see Plotmon as Hikari's base level Digimon.
I'd love an episode where Plotmon evolves for the first time to protect Hikari from a huge adult digimon and everyone's like "Is that it? She's hardly any bigger!" Then Tailmon proceeds to kick the bejeebus out of the bad guy.
Aaahhhh, Digimon Logic at its finest.

Hikarix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope every character, especially Hikari will shine and it's not just Tai/Yamato and rest. They are all amazing individually. Then hopefully the Dark Ocean will finally get properly explored, explained. Lastly, if everything leads to an epilogue (highly doubt that part), not some ridiculous jobs and couples that never/barley even talked. Don't shock/traumatise the new generation or they'll leave again and stay mad. It's just a kids anime, it's not that deep.

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder with all of the technological advancements that have been made since 1999, how will the Digital World be different this time around? Not just in stuff like smartphones and social media, but the more sci-fi esque stuff like artificial intelligence, quantum computing, blockchain and so on.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just hope every character, especially Hikari will shine and it's not just Tai/Yamato and rest. They are all amazing individually. Then hopefully the Dark Ocean will finally get properly explored, explained. Lastly, if everything leads to an epilogue (highly doubt that part), not some ridiculous jobs and couples that never/barley even talked. Don't shock/traumatise the new generation or they'll leave again and stay mad. It's just a kids anime, it's not that deep.
I hope this happens too and if they do pair the kids in pairings have it be couples that make sense. I imagine if Psi is popular they will explore these chosen children growing up and maintaining their lead roles without introducing new kids. Which I welcome a lot.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If we're going to deal with shipping Again! then we're gong to do it right! Actually make clear enough hints for the couples. I will not do a ship war redux.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If we're going to deal with shipping Again! then we're gong to do it right! Actually make clear enough hints for the couples. I will not do a ship war redux.
Seriously make it right like how it was supposed to be the first time. Do the couples people love, not the couples that they just came out of the air with. And it's not "fanservice" cause it's a brand new story and canon. It's not tied down by a horrible ending that is still despised by the majority of fans till this day.

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't agree more on the shipping front. Either do something new that people actually like or don't do it at all.

As for the series itself, I wanna see more delving into the Digimon issues. Like them helping villages and other random Digimon. Also, the partner Digimon concerns/hobbies would be nice. I love the kids a lot and their backstories in 01 are what made me love the show and is something I wanna see, but in the Digital World it would be interesting to see more of its culture and society as a whole.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't agree more on the shipping front. Either do something new that people actually like or don't do it at all.As for the series itself, I wanna see more delving into the Digimon issues. Like them helping villages and other random Digimon. Also, the partner Digimon concerns/hobbies would be nice. I love the kids a lot and their backstories in 01 are what made me love the show and is something I wanna see, but in the Digital World it would be interesting to see more of its culture and society as a whole.
Gabumon, Tentonon, Palmon, and Piyomon could definitely stand to have their characters fleshed out. It would be wrong to say none of the Digimon had personality but what the group had was sure lopsided (and Tailmon sadly lost most of hers after turning good). I can even remember the 02 partners’ personalities and interests over Gabumon, Tentomon, Piyomon, and Palmon

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm just glad everyone agrees with me. I always said we were all tired of the shipping from this season. Plus to me it's a done deal anyway.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm just glad everyone agrees with me. I always said we were all tired of the shipping from this season. Plus to me it's a done deal anyway.
If we do get a romance I'd much rather see it between two Digimon, tbh - that's something that we haven't really seen in the series outside of Mummymon's crush on Arachnemon.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If we do get a romance I'd much rather see it between two Digimon, tbh - that's something that we haven't really seen in the series outside of Mummymon's crush on Arachnemon.
Hey now, we got Jijimon and Babamon in Tamers. That has to count for something.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is what makes Psi being a reboot instead of a retelling ala Sailor Moon Crystal refreshing. It's not tide down to a horrible epilogue barely anyone likes. They can do whatever they want in this new canon.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And that's why I sort of fear shipping in this remake. I really hope they make it clearer.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And that's why I sort of fear shipping in this remake. I really hope they make it clearer.
I hope they realize the mistakes they made in the past lol. I mean the fans worldwide have been pretty clear what they think of the epilogue and the pairings.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey now, we got Jijimon and Babamon in Tamers. That has to count for something.
V-mon's crush on Tailmon? Ranamon being idol and the fans felling in love with her? Not sure about Vajiramon... And Mervamon? Oh also Leomon....

Cyber Sleuth series have some certain quests involved in romance: Three Archangels, Lilimon, etc

I think this new season might have some "romance" depending on.... Certain fans' "Shipping Google".

Not for me. More battles for me but I will bet this new season will have ton of interesting and new events to surprise us like a new journey! Maybe instead of same villians?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are lots of interesting places Adventure could go, and a lot of aspects they could do better than the original but one aspect I have been thinking about are villains.
Villains can easily dictate the tone and theme of a story, which makes them an convenient way to discuss these things without derailing into fanfic by making up some overly detailed story ideas; you simply imagine a villain and picture what sort of story they would create around them.

So here are a few thoughts about what sorts of villains I'd like to see in Adventure and how I'd like them to be handled.

Premise 1: No retreads

As a natural result of being popular the Adventure lore has become somewhat... bloated. Cluttered with all kinds of additions of questionable canonicity, side stories from audio dramas, from decade old video games and this reboot is their perfect chance to chuck all that baggage overboard and start over fresh.
And Toei seems to take that chance with Adventure, from what we've heard in the (admittedly meager) interviews so far they were always shouting that it's a completely new story, that it's going to be about more modern themes, and so on.
And yet fans are digging up all that weird c-plot lore, all that messy side story baggage, and wish/expect/demand Toei to put it right back into the new iteration. That seems almost incomprehensible to me, if they really wanted to address all that stuff I don't think they would have gone for a reboot in the first place.

Anyway I truly do hope that Adventure will use the freedom it has through the reboot and in terms of villains this mostly means that I would be tremendously disappointed if the likes of Devimon and Vamdemon would just be paraded on stage again, that would just be boring.

I am not entirely opposed to new villains evoking the old ones in some sense, as long as they themselves are still new and the homage does not overpower the other aspects of their role. For example:
If they need to have a "Devimon" at least make it a NeoDevimon, if they need to have something in the style of Etemon, at least make it Targetmon, but for god's sake, no direct recycling.

Premise 2: Reign in the goofiness

A villain should be threatening. A villain should make the audience uncomfortable. the villain's involvement should signify that things are getting serious (And I would consider a story in which things never get serious to be a waste of my time honestly).
So obviously I'm not a fan of funny "harmless" villains whose silly schemes are bound to fail and who run off pouting at the end of every episode without upsetting the status quo.

That's not really criticism that could be leveled against the original Adventure, which treated its villains rather well; Even the quirkier ones (besides perhaps PicoDevimon, who clearly was always a lackey even when he was the only sustained threat) were not to be underestimated when they meant business and truly comic incompetence was usually reserved for single episode underlings.

Still, I'm bringing this up because the franchise did struggle with this problem recently, and with recently I mean in Appmon. Appmon had a bunch of issues but one of the series' biggest misstep was that mind-numbing stretch of episodes after Sakusimon's defeat (who himself got serious a bit too late already) where Mienumon was in charge of Leviathan's missions and she simply was not someone you could take seriously as a real threat. The result was a part of the story lacking tension in general, which, combined with the fact that it happened during the second cour when the introductions are over and you expect the story to get into gear, basically deflated the pacing of the show in general for a while.

That's not to say that a villain can't have any funny aspects, it's just important that those aspects don't overwhelm the character and that is a difficult balance to master. A good example of this balance being handled masterfully is One Piece where nothing stops even the most evil and important villains from having all sorts of ludicrous quirks.
The secret to them still being effective villains is that's it not funny to anyone who's in the same room with them. Anyone else in that room is rightfully terrified.
Because sometimes "funny" quirks can add an edge of unpredictability to a character, which can further heighten the atmosphere of tension around them.

But in the end there are a lot of roles in a story they could put the comic relief in, but the driving force of evil, the embodiment of conflict in the story is not one of them... at least not when it actually counts.

Premise 3: Thematic Relevance

Adventure will be about our modern technology, about actual digital threats and risks. Other Digimon media claimed to do the same before, but in the end they only ever paid lip service to the idea, sometimes they'd take some cheap pot shot at it, but they never committed to it.
And I'm still willing to hope that the reboot might finally be the story that actually accomplishes that, that actually has something, anything interesting to say about all those things they have so far mostly only pretended to explore.

And I believe it's important that the story won't really get far with those themes if it doesn't feature Villains that actually push those themes. And that's another strike against most of the Adventure villains because tell me, how is a generic devil and vampire relevant to technology today? They are not. And Digimon has amassed monsters that can represent modern issues in a much more fitting manner if at least some writers with decent technological literacy are involved (there probably won't be).
With technological literacy I mean I want themes that are not your grandma's luddite wishy washy finger pointing "Issues" like like "people are using computers for important things what if those computers break?". And not just overly generalizing catch-all arguments like "Digimon are data therefore all of them are technically relevant", or "The villain ordered something online at some point". It ought to be more specific or at least more elaborate than that.
I want villains like a sleazy Fangmon embodying the stalking and identity theft that can happen online. A ruthless Gokumon, with his "data from a wanted list" theme taking a stab at online vigilantism and the tendency of people to arrive at radical judgements about things based on online information with no claim to accuracy. Or a Phelesmon who (besides being a design callback to Vamdemon) could represent not just the dangers but also the promise of technology through the mephistophelian theme.
(there used to be a whole elaborate list of such ideas at the end of this post but in the end it seemed to fanficcy that way)

...Oh and also it would be nice if they stuck with a consistent hardness for Sora's hat this time.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...You know, that last one might be one thing we all could agree on. heh heh

noirenotorious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm all for new enemies and different modernised parts of the Digital world maybe? Even though they sort of did that with Appli Monsters idk. I suppose seeing more of the Royal Knights and of course the Demon Lords of Sin ♥

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm all for new enemies and different modernised parts of the Digital world maybe? Even though they sort of did that with Appli Monsters idk. I suppose seeing more of the Royal Knights and of course the Demon Lords of Sin ♥
This and I would mind if they added armor, spirits and digixrossing to the mix.