What would you like to see in Digimon Adventure: (2020)?

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sure Taiora fans are excited that Taiora can be possibly canon in this timeline lol. Since this is a brand new canon, it's game for everything.
lol so true. If it does happen, it better be a believable romance that isn't mired in cheesiness and a dumb love triangle.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Admittedly I haven't gotten far into Appmon, but from what I've seen it doesn't quite nail the specific generational angst
My opinion about that is that there was no angst to be nailed in the first place. If anything I would argue that it is a lack of angst about such things that characterizes the current generation. Networking is part of their lives from day one, it’s all natural. Technology is no longer the weird complicated thing that is new and scary, it has been accepted. If there is “angst” there… it’s mostly not theirs.
And without the technology hurdle in itself, the playing field having been leveled, the focus can shift more towards the people actually using it and how (not that Appmon is particularly apt at this but there were some attempts).

OG Adventure was definitely a summation of technological frustrations/fears: spam email, Y2K, boy genius who can hack the world, etc.
I feel most of what you point out comes from Our War Game which is not really tonally representative of the rest of the show.
As a general setting I never saw much “paranoia” in Adventure. Technology was generally treated neutrally and the moment it got into Koushiro’s hands, it immediately became useful.
The only exceptions that come to mind were Nanomon’s misleading email (the horror!) and Mugendramon tracking Taichi and Koushiro through his city using Koushiro’s laptop (and that lasted for less than an episode).
Aside from that the actual dangers they were facing contained no commentary on anything technological since they had zero resemblance to anything anyone does with real technology, not even allegorically.

Applimons final conflict was confusing and contradictory given that the Applimon themselves seem happy enough but humans being turned to Apps to save the environment was treated like the holocaust. I think that might’ve even been the plot reveal at the end of Digimon World 2?
Even if they had guaranteed happiness as apps (doubtful) it would still not have been very nice to do that without their consent lol.
Digimon World 2 lore is not really the same because besides just generally digitizing them GAIA did not change anything about their nature as humans.

[[...]and maybe some more things could have been explored, like some of Leviathan’s forces getting a redemption. (Mienumon, for one, could have become the new Tailmon)
They never gave Mienumon any positive traits though. She was mostly defined by malice and pettiness and the only thing keeping her from being a truly serious threat was just her general incompetence. Even Sakusimon could have had more potential as an potential ally since he was at least capable of some rationality.

Unfortunately, most of Digimon villains aren't really that evil or twisted and most of times they're only evil because they look horrible. Digimon Kaiser with his whip was more evil than the entire cast of Adventure.
Vamdemon had a whip too....

On the other hand, almost nether villain (except Leviathan) ever successed with their plan. And for that reason we don't really have a reason to hate them.
That’s kind of a shallow way to look at it. Once a malicious intent is revealed there’s plenty reason to hate a villain (It’s also extremely silly story wise if the villains plan involves the destruction of the multiverse or a similarly extreme outcome). Even if their overall scheme never succeeds they can be shown to be hateable through smaller deeds that illustrate their capability for evil. In the end it is not about what happens but about the principles behind it.

I'm sure Taiora fans are excited that Taiora can be possibly canon in this timeline lol. Since this is a brand new canon, it's game for everything.
lol so true. If it does happen, it better be a believable romance that isn't mired in cheesiness and a dumb love triangle.
Better hope that none of the main characters are invvolved then, since a fifth grader’s interpretation of “romance” is inherently cheesy and dumb and generally doesn’t go anywhere.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want to see a digivice similar to the one from the older manga series.

Tai and Matt develop a romantic relationship.

A non-binary human character.

Digimon having multiple evolution options that showcase their gender-fluid abilities.

Agumon being able to switch from Greymon species to Tyrannomon species.
Gabumon having both mammalian and reptilian forms, and explore his connection to Agumon.
Gommamon having the ability access the Seadramon/Plesiomon line.
Tentomon exploring the Kwuagamon, Waspmon and Stingmon lines.
Piyomon following a different avian lineage, a dinosaur lineage, and bird-man lineage.
Palmon becoming Woodmon, Pumpmon, and Noble Pumpmon.
Patamon and Plotmon exploring altertative holy digimon and demonic digimon.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want this show to bring in new, younger fans. I love a lot of the stuff aimed at older fans in recent years, but younger fans would be a great shot in the arm for the series. I really enjoyed Appmon, but I got the impression it failed to attract younger fans to the broader franchise, and obviously games like Cyber Sleuth and Survive and animations like Tri and Kizuna aren't aimed at attracting new fans at all.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want to see a digivice similar to the one from the older manga series.Tai and Matt develop a romantic relationship.A non-binary human character.Digimon having multiple evolution options that showcase their gender-fluid abilities.Agumon being able to switch from Greymon species to Tyrannomon species.Gabumon having both mammalian and reptilian forms, and explore his connection to Agumon.Gommamon having the ability access the Seadramon/Plesiomon line.Tentomon exploring the Kwuagamon, Waspmon and Stingmon lines.Piyomon following a different avian lineage, a dinosaur lineage, and bird-man lineage.Palmon becoming Woodmon, Pumpmon, and Noble Pumpmon.Patamon and Plotmon exploring altertative holy digimon and demonic digimon.
Genderfluid Patamon is best Patamon. Mastemon could fight alongside Omegamon; showing fusions old and new. Tentomon could also explore other Insect Digimon. Or maybe, given the Jungle Troopers thing, he’s genderfluid too, so we can get Lilamon and Rafflesiamon.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Applimons final conflict was confusing and contradictory given that the Applimon themselves seem happy enough but humans being turned to Apps to save the environment was treated like the holocaust. I think that might’ve even been the plot reveal at the end of Digimon World 2? A lot of the Digimon series break down in the second half, only Tamers and Adventure have really stuck the landing.
It was more that Leviathan valued efficiency over free-will.
He converted people into autonomous drones to full-fill some perfect Digital Utopia and avert human-kinds more destructive tendencies.
The point was that free-will, flaws, and even danger and pain, were part of what made life meaningful and worth living.
Haru's choice at the end was a world where no-one has to die or get hurt, or a world where people actually get to live.

Last edited:

Neilandio

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want to see tailmon staying as plotmon.

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Better hope that none of the main characters are invvolved then, since a fifth grader’s interpretation of “romance” is inherently cheesy and dumb and generally doesn’t go anywhere.[/QUOTE]

@Theigno Maybe just limit it to some hints then. If Psi has a follow-up series, they could start going all-out with the romance, culminating in Taichi and Sora having a passionate kiss. (Which would be a first for a Digimon anime)

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My want is pretty simple and plausible: Digimon appearing that haven’t been animated before.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Admittedly I haven't gotten far into Appmon, but from what I've seen it doesn't quite nail the specific generational angst
My opinion about that is that there was no angst to be nailed in the first place. If anything I would argue that it is a lack of angst about such things that characterizes the current generation. Networking is part of their lives from day one, it’s all natural. Technology is no longer the weird complicated thing that is new and scary, it has been accepted. If there is “angst” there… it’s mostly not theirs.
And without the technology hurdle in itself, the playing field having been leveled, the focus can shift more towards the people actually using it and how (not that Appmon is particularly apt at this but there were some attempts).
I guess I was just misled by the first episode, which featured a distinct modern technological issue in the form of private information leaking (in this day and age of privacy concerns, Facebook/Amazon/etc. it's pretty damn prevalent) but then didn't really commit beyond that. I'd like to continue past the few episodes I saw, but this is just my initial impression.

OG Adventure was definitely a summation of technological frustrations/fears: spam email, Y2K, boy genius who can hack the world, etc.
I feel most of what you point out comes from Our War Game which is not really tonally representative of the rest of the show.
As a general setting I never saw much “paranoia” in Adventure. Technology was generally treated neutrally and the moment it got into Koushiro’s hands, it immediately became useful.
The only exceptions that come to mind were Nanomon’s misleading email (the horror!) and Mugendramon tracking Taichi and Koushiro through his city using Koushiro’s laptop (and that lasted for less than an episode).
Aside from that the actual dangers they were facing contained no commentary on anything technological since they had zero resemblance to anything anyone does with real technology, not even allegorically.
For sure Izzy uses it in a good way, but the whole "boy genius who can hack everything" was a pretty big concern, especially back in a time where we didn't quite have the pop-culture language for things like Autism Spectrum. I don't inherently mean paranoia in a bad way either, just that looking back a lot of these portrayals were reflective of the technological zeitgeist. Tamers, likewise, really keyed in on some generational attitude shifts, although they were a lot more bleak about it for like 9/10's of the run.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the best chance to give digimon who still lack full natural line, some evos.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Izumi is certainly a genius but I think it would be a big stretch to call him autistic, given that he shows very few, if any traits that could be considered symptoms. He’s actually better in social settings than Yamato, for instance.

Rorimor

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm honestly hoping the teaser is a fake-out and the new series is about the kids/grandkids of the original main cast.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...I agree with TMS. But here's something I don't want to see. A ship war like last time. It's been solved. The only thing we had left was Davis which we already talked about earlier. But either make it slightly clearer or just don't do anything.

Jennykimchi94

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im surprised that the original Japanese director of the Digimon anime Is allowing more Digimon adventure show thats kind of a soft reboot? Cause doesn't this anime take place in 1999? So Izzy shouldn't have a ipad it doesn't feel consistent within the time period that the anime takes place in. Also i think the old director trust the new staff too much I mean a company can do whatever they want that dosen't mean they will 100 percent stay true to your own vision of a story you made. I heard he had creative differences with the new staff regarding the last evolution movie thats why he left Teoi animation.

icomeanon6

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im surprised that the original Japanese director of the Digimon anime Is allowing more Digimon adventure show thats kind of a soft reboot? Cause doesn't this anime take place in 1999? So Izzy shouldn't have a ipad it doesn't feel consistent within the time period that the anime takes place in. Also i think the old director trust the new staff too much I mean a company can do whatever they want that dosen't mean they will 100 percent stay true to your own vision of a story you made. I heard he had creative differences with the new staff regarding the last evolution movie thats why he left Teoi animation.
He didn't leave; he still works at Toei. I don't see anything odd about him being gracious to his colleagues for that matter, regarding giving them his blessing to do what they want with the new series. I don't know anything about the Last Evolution situation, but nothing in his recent interview suggests drama. The new director came to him personally, which was respectful, and he told the new director that "because it's a reboot" the new director should feel free to make the show how he wants, which was also respectful. Also, the new anime's going to take place in 2020, not 1999.

Notus

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the biggest opportunity here (and it looks like the intent) is to use the fact they have 20 years of franchise building and experimentation to create a solid mythology. Adventure is the face of the franchise after all, and this series becoming closer to "Zero Canon" would be good to reinforce the fact the franchise has differents aspects.

More especifically, branching evolutions / slide evolutions would be the nicest new aspect. Would be cool if the chosen had different abilities between them, like some having acess to DigiSoul, while others have the synchonicity from Tamers, etc. If alternate evos are a thing, Koushiro could have a easier time doing it by manipulating data.

Of course, in the end I want the show to be enjoyable and to have care put into it to have a good quality. I think the news of the reboot stirred everyone's ideas of what a "perfect" Adventure would be.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Almost everyone wants alternative evolution routes. Then what was it all about Ofanimon vs Holydramon war?! But if it actually happened, then I do really want to see NoblePumpmon's "Atlantic Dam" animation if this new series took a new path and give Pumpmon a chance to evolve along with his buddy. If not, at least put new digimons in there among wild ones.

I really hope they get creative with Digimon fights and give more depth of their fighting styles like Piemon's magical tricks from turning enemies into keychains, vanishing with blanket, etc. But let's make sure it have to be believable within their battle techniques because of Pinochimon's mansion robot and other things.

I really don't want Digimon Logic WIN.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Battle animations should also use surrounding situations and good environmental action.