What would you like to see in Digimon Adventure: (2020)?

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Branching evolutions, for sure.

They’ve already teased something different about the evolutions, and yet they’ve basically shown off Greymon, Garurumon, used Omegamon in the logo, and they’re selling WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, and Angemon starter packs for the new TCG.

Still, the new TCG allows any Level 4 (Adult/Champion) Red card you evolve from a Level 3 (Child/Rookie) one. While that could be a TCG only thing, it’d be interesting if we saw different evolutions. Imagine Tyranomon in Episode 1 and then Greymon in Episode 2, they could do a lot with that.

They could do character arcs around “dark” evolution, for Agumon and Gabumon that means they can use multiple different Omegamon forms, etc.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmmm... Not sure. ...I did like how someone said Meiko. But that might be a big wish. Anyway, how bout Megas. Seeing more Megas? Or maybe changing some stuff like who evos when. Didn't a novel have Lillymon show up at the Princess Mimi ep? That could be cool. Not sure what else. It is a remake. ...Huh. Could some of those ally Digimon do something? Like maybe a new form for some if possible. We could use a form for Ogremon to evo to to close up his line. Since Digitamamon is a weird idea.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No Meiko please, Tri was more then enough for that character. 8 Chosen Children is plenty to focus on. Especially since it looks like Hikari will be with them from the beginning. And they really need to give all the Chosen Children more development aside from Taichi and Yamato.

None of that happened.
Yes it did, when Digimon Adventure Tri was first announced it was gonna be an anime series. It then got turned into 6 movies for an unknown reason. Many people suspect that since this was around the same time as Supers being unveiled they decided to go with Supers being an anime while Digimon was changed into movies.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Joined the forum to make this post, because I worry this is effectively a "setup for disappointment" thread.

What I mean is that when we got the V-Jump poster and the translations, like everyone else I started thinking about what specific things I wanted out of Adventure 2020. Stuff like, "no multiverse crossovers (including Ryo)," "self-contained lore instead of all this Yggdrasil/Homeostasis noise," "2D animation for all the evolution sequences," "no ideas from Tri," etc. All stuff that's specific to how I would make a Digimon show and which undoubtedly sounds terrible to lots of other Digimon fans. But the fact of the matter is that every specific point of plot, character, or lore that one Digimon fan really wants is something that another Digimon fan really doesn't want. It feels like whatever show they make, Digimon fans are destined (digi-destined?) to divide into a Love Camp and a Hate Camp based on how many of their boxes are checked. I think this is a sad way to approach things, and I'm certainly guilty of frequently approaching Digimon this way.

So here's what I really want. I want a show that has as much substance as flash: something that makes kids laugh, cry, think, and dream, especially those last two. It shouldn't be for old-timers like me who were six when Digimon first aired on Fox, but at the same time they can make a show for new fans even if they borrow heavily from the original. Both a completely different show and a modest rewrite can grab today's kids the same way the original show grabbed me and sent my imagination running wild. Sticking with what's tried and true doesn't have to be mere pandering to nostalgia, and blazing a new trail doesn't have to be a slap in the face to fans who were invested in what was already there, because young kids today don't know about all this Digimon stuff; anything that works well on its own can be their Digimon, new or recycled.

Digimon at its best can both thrill children and speak to them on a deep level. So I want to be open to enjoying Adventure 2020, even if it checks none of my boxes, as long as it makes me care. I hope it has so much heart that I admit I was wrong about any writing choice I wouldn't have made.

While I'm asking for the moon, I hope Adventure 2020 ends up on US TV with a respectful dub (one that preserves the tone, pace, and character of its source) and becomes a modest hit. Then I hope when some of those new fans grow up they come across Our War Game on the internet, and find some fascination in learning about the twenty years of Digimon that preceded their own show.

Last edited:

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great observing icomeanon6 , that's what I wanted for show to keep - and the one more thing - a sense of mystery, uncertainty and fusion of digital and mystical-supernatural which characterized the original Adventure.

Personally, why so much hate on the original evolutions for their partner digimon it's like Omegamon is accepted in a gazillion of his forms cramping up space and time, but not the other digimon forms - that attitude needs to change.
What I would like to see is consistency of power levels and the gaps in power between them (while maintaining possibility of certain situations where lower level digimon can actually harm higher level digimon aka not being beaten and smashed around so easily) and maybe an introduction of levels above currently established to make it more refreshed since Digital world from 2020s would be vastly more complex and expansive than the one we remember from the 90s era.
Maybe a longer series (more than established 50 episode could do that- new decade new rules :)
Maybe and overarching villain that spans the entire series could make it more interesting kinda like Bakura from Yugioh or a good set ending that could establish possibility of an easy sequel.

Loke

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I find it fascinating how so many of you expect them to retread the elements of the first two shows. Devil in, dark masters, Royal Knights, Yggdrasil, blah blah blah. I think the reference to Digimon wreaking havoc in the real world is key. Their attempts to keep digimon have all utterly failed ever since 02, and were flagging even when Tamers was a thing, and now they're taking the opportunity to start new with the property, hence the new card game.

I expect them to bring back next to none of the original stories, just use their elements to tell the types of stories that current anime like the recent Kitaro and Yokai watch tell, that of a kid and his monster friends dealing with disturbances in his neighborhood. I could be wrong, but that's what I expect.

I'm more excited for new v-pets and games than anything else.

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I would like to see is a villain that's trully evil (like Kurata) and/or achieved their goal (like Leviathan).

Unfortunately, most of Digimon villains aren't really that evil or twisted and most of times they're only evil because they look horrible. Digimon Kaiser with his whip was more evil than the entire cast of Adventure. I would love to see a villain that I will really like seeing him being killed.

On the other hand, almost nether villain (except Leviathan) ever successed with their plan. And for that reason we don't really have a reason to hate them. A villain that caused on screen a genocide, tortured someone until they died or tried some immoral experiments is more interesting than a villain that's evil because screenwriters wanted him to be evil.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Considering this is the closest thing wei’ll get to an IDW Digimon comic, here’s a list;

* Mameo or maybe another Tamer, to illustrate the difference between the Chosens and your average Tamer.
* Someone undergoes Pendulum evolution. Maybe Palmon or Tailmon for Fanservice.
* Pendulum Jogress so we can see DinoBeemon.
* Branching evolutions.
* DATS and/or Hypnos chasing the heroes around.
* Legendary Warriors and Spirits.
* The Bagra Army managing the behind the scenes villains along with Leviathan and Yggdrasil.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is a great time capsule for 90's technology paranoia, but it will be fascinating to see how it adapts the story to things like smartphones and apps.
That is what they already did with appmon, so I do think that they'll zero in on that topic so closely this time around, but view it in more general sense.
Admittedly I haven't gotten far into Appmon, but from what I've seen it doesn't quite nail the specific generational angst (at least in terms of plot; the characters themselves are actually really interesting). OG Adventure was definitely a summation of technological frustrations/fears: spam email, Y2K, boy genius who can hack the world, etc. Appmon from what I've seen is just "wouldn't it be funny if your app came alive? Hurr durr". Maybe I'm just old.

But I'd like to see it poke into some of the underexplored corners of the Adventure universe. One of my favorite parts about completing the Devimon arc is how it opens up the world for traveling, and getting to Server felt like a mythical journey, but after that the Digital World ends up feeling a lot like an afterthought. So more exploration in general.
I agree that more (and most importantly more consistent) lore would be nice but it seems weird to have that expectation of it somehow adding to the previous adventure world since... it's clearly set in a new Universe and anything they "poke" won't really apply to the original. Who knows if File Island would even exist in that incarnation, for example..
Sure, File Island, etc. might not exist specifically in their original incarnations, but just keeping the sense of exploration that Adventure sort of abandoned midway so that the digital world retains some focus would be nice.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Editing this post because it was somewhat inaccurate lol.

It's pretty interesting that the structure of this seems to be a real world problem being saved through the Digital World.

In terms of Digimon, my mind kinda goes to 02 and Young Hunters the most, although I haven't seen enough of Appmon to know if that would also apply there. Although, this sort of idea does line up a bit with both Our War Game and Last Evolution Kizuna.

Anyways, the fact that the main setting is still the real world and the Digital World is just where they jump into to solve problems leads me to believe the DW will only be as developed as it was in 02 at best. Anyone expecting more might just be setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited:

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sure Taiora fans are excited that Taiora can be possibly canon in this timeline lol. Since this is a brand new canon, it's game for everything.

xm0c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Something I'm interested in seeing is an animated adaption of the Wonderswan games with Ryo. It would likely have to come after the main story, but given it's an alternate continuity, they could adapt them at really any point in the story. Plus, with Kari seeming to be an important character from the start, there needs to be another later addition type character, and Ryo would fit best.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanna see Meiko! If only to break up "the exact same characters again", especially if we can get a Meicoomon that isn't infected with Apocalymon dna.

Other than that, just more silly digital world stuff. All the wacky scenery and things from the File Island were great, and I was sad that kinda petered out as the franchise went on. Didn't go away completely of course, but it became occasional instead of the norm.

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Something I'm interested in seeing is an animated adaption of the Wonderswan games with Ryo. It would likely have to come after the main story, but given it's an alternate continuity, they could adapt them at really any point in the story. Plus, with Kari seeming to be an important character from the start, there needs to be another later addition type character, and Ryo would fit best.
I don't think there needs to be another OC character. Tri suffered because it focused too much on the OC and left the other chosen children besides Taichi and Yamato severely underdeveloped.

I just want these 8 for however long they do the show and if it follows them to teens even better, give us development on these 8. You don't need anymore characters.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanna see Meiko! If only to break up "the exact same characters again", especially if we can get a Meicoomon that isn't infected with Apocalymon dna.
I'd also be happy to see later cast additions like Meiko, Ken, Menoa, etc. Being later additions means they generally don't have the same kind of depth of group dynamics (Ken is an exception since he of course got plenty of that with the other 02 kids in 02), and the group dynamics is one of my favourite aspects of Adventure lol. It'd be great to see those characters join, alter, even disrupt the old dynamics and interactions we saw in the original show. I'm not sure it'll happen, and it's not really something I need from this series, but it'd be really cool.

Also, only slightly related, but if Meicoomon isn't in this show...I'm hoping Kari is paired with Salamon specifically so we can keep the levels consistent between the cast (that's not really the reason, I just like Salamon a lot and want to see it more lol).

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Copied over from the other thread since it basically fits this one pretty well:
I for one am hopeful that they'll manage to incorporate more Digimon lore into this series now that it's confirmed(?) to be a retelling of the original anime. I can already think of a couple possibilities:

* The Royal Knights and Yggdrasil already exist from the beginning so Toei has less excuse to use Omegamon (Omnimon? Not sure since they seem to stop using that name here in the USA recently). Or if they insist on that, they can always go the Cyber Sleuth route and say that
Agumon and Gabumon are Omegamon.
* The Seven Great Demon Lords could be revealed to be the Bigger Bad instead of Apocalymon who command the Dark Master ensemble.
* Seraphimon and Ophanimon already existing could help to justify Holydramon's relevance (perhaps reveal her to be a part of the Four Great Dragons) and Patamon's new Evolution/Digivolution line.
* Ogremon could be Titamon who lost a previous battle and had to revert to a Digi-Egg back at Primary Village. Then again it's never been confirmed if Titamon resides exclusively in Digital World: Illad like the Olympus XII or not so I'll need confirmation on that.
* Leomon could stay the same but use him as the perfect opportunity to reintroduce Slide Evolution as a regular Digivolution method instead of being exclusive to the Ten Legendary Warriors.
* Could reintroduce Shoutmon as Omegamon's disciple and most likely trigger the aforementioned Cyber Sleuth moment above. If anyone thinks having a main character's partner Digimon appear in other series in a lesser role is odd, the same thing has happened before. Just look at Frontier.
* If the 02 Chosen Children/Digidestined do appear in this retelling (probably from season 2 onward), that would be the perfect opportunity to expand on the Armor and/or Jogress/DNA Digivolutions! Know that fans aren't, well, fans of those, but I always though they were an interesting concept. Especially the former Digivolution mechanic and the (semi-)constant theme around masks/helmets and Crest decor! Which I may or may not play up in a fanfic of mine~.
* Millenniumon could have a bigger presence in this story outside of the WonderSwan series of video games, possibly even make him the final boss.
* Play up the whole World of Dreams concept more in the endgame. Know this might be particularly popular but at the right hands, this could make for creative and/or fun writing!

I have more but I won't bug ya'll any longer for now. X3

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All I want is a background cameo of the Sistermons. Then I'll die happy.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is a great time capsule for 90's technology paranoia, but it will be fascinating to see how it adapts the story to things like smartphones and apps.
That is what they already did with appmon, so I do think that they'll zero in on that topic so closely this time around, but view it in more general sense.
Admittedly I haven't gotten far into Appmon, but from what I've seen it doesn't quite nail the specific generational angst (at least in terms of plot; the characters themselves are actually really interesting). OG Adventure was definitely a summation of technological frustrations/fears: spam email, Y2K, boy genius who can hack the world, etc. Appmon from what I've seen is just "wouldn't it be funny if your app came alive? Hurr durr". Maybe I'm just old.
But I'd like to see it poke into some of the underexplored corners of the Adventure universe. One of my favorite parts about completing the Devimon arc is how it opens up the world for traveling, and getting to Server felt like a mythical journey, but after that the Digital World ends up feeling a lot like an afterthought. So more exploration in general.
I agree that more (and most importantly more consistent) lore would be nice but it seems weird to have that expectation of it somehow adding to the previous adventure world since... it's clearly set in a new Universe and anything they "poke" won't really apply to the original. Who knows if File Island would even exist in that incarnation, for example..
Sure, File Island, etc. might not exist specifically in their original incarnations, but just keeping the sense of exploration that Adventure sort of abandoned midway so that the digital world retains some focus would be nice.
More serious problems were added late into Applimonsters, but I’d argue it was too late for it, and maybe some more things could have been explored, like some of Leviathan’s forces getting a redemption. (Mienumon, for one, could have become the new Tailmon)

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Applimons final conflict was confusing and contradictory given that the Applimon themselves seem happy enough but humans being turned to Apps to save the environment was treated like the holocaust. I think that might’ve even been the plot reveal at the end of Digimon World 2? A lot of the Digimon series break down in the second half, only Tamers and Adventure have really stuck the landing.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Hackmon became Huckmon in Appmon, then I'd want that Zipmon to end up being related to Impmon's evo if possible.

But honestly I do want KoKabuterimon to clash with Tentomon in this new season hahaha. For the sake of curiosity in many ways.
Also when it comes to use the smartphones and other hi techies, let's introduce two rejected Digimon (Radio visor dragon and Radio Tower tortoise) so why not?
Not only that, to reboot on Clockmon's power to connect with the current years not to redesign, I mean.

Hmm anything else? Oh yes let's hope BanchoGolemon manages to get in it since his profile mentioned training in this File Island somewhere.