"What to buy" thread

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there any reason not to get the X2 and to wait for the X3 other than more areas and digimon to train?

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Buy all of the things.
It's unlikely. As much as I love Digimon, getting one of these in my country is quite expensive. I'll support them as much as I can but I think that it's enough with just having one device equivalent to 90 dollars. I would feel guilty to keep buying them at those prices, specially since the differences and bonus of connecting two aren't very significant. If they were at retail price, I'd gladly try to get every entry.

Last edited:

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Buy all of the things.
It's unlikely. As much as I love Digimon, getting one of these in my country is quite expensive. I'll support them as much as I can but I think that it's enough with just device equivalent to 90 dollars. I would feel guilty to keep buying them at those prices, specially since the differences and bonus of connecting two aren't very significant. If they were at retail price, I'd gladly try to get every entry.
Yeah it's tough. I wanted the anniversary Digivices, but I am not spending $100 to $200 for what amounts to an over-glorified Tamagotchi. The damn thing better make phone calls and download music with that asking price.

DigitalCowboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you're worried about price, I would recommend the 20th anniversary english re-release of the original from 1997. I believe it came out early this year or late last year. There are plenty of them on Amazon for $20, brand new, original box etc.... I would start there, plus I had mine the next day because of Amazons crazy fast shipping. ---Reply to Roy: Very cool!

Last edited:

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you're worried about price, I would recommend the 20th anniversary english re-release of the original from 1997. I believe it came out early this year or late last year. There are plenty of them on Amazon for $20, brand new, original box etc.... I would start there, plus I had mine the next day because of Amazons crazy fast shipping.
Thanks for the good recommendation, however I already have it. It was a great buy, hence why I'm seeking for one of these X devices now. It's not that much about the price, I just think that it's not worth buying more than one X version.

VampJoe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you're worried about price, I would recommend the 20th anniversary english re-release of the original from 1997. I believe it came out early this year or late last year. There are plenty of them on Amazon for $20, brand new, original box etc.... I would start there, plus I had mine the next day because of Amazons crazy fast shipping.
Thanks for the good recommendation, however I already have it. It was a great buy, hence why I'm seeking for one of these X devices now. It's not that much about the price, I just think that it's not worth buying more than one X version.

If you're only planning to get one of the X lines then I would just go by the Digimon you want the most. Doesn't matter if there's a little bit more to do on one if you don't like the available Mons.

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

If you're only planning to get one of the X lines then I would just go by the Digimon you want the most. Doesn't matter if there's a little bit more to do on one if you don't like the available Mons.

Thanks for the advice. I love both RK and Demon Lords but I prefer the RK a bit more. However, I ended up choosing the X2 a couple days before your comment because the sprite work and X designs have been superb for the most part. I also prefer the X2 roster as a whole over the X3. My red one arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier: Faster cleaning and celebrating animations, close ups, beautiful sprites, items, leveling up and the red transparent color looks quite beautiful. If anyone is on the fence, I really recommend it.

clc88

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Questions for those who have experience on a wide variety of Vpets.
1. Which device has the best buttons ( size, friction, responsiveness, shape of the device/ buttons)
2. Which one do you find most fun and/ or statisfying to play ( gameplay, evolution lines, animations)
3. Which one have you replayed most and why? and is your favourite Digimon featured in that device.
4. which is your least favourite device and why?

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@clc88
  1. Accel, the trigger feels so good and having two buttons for navigation is a step up
  2. Digital Monster X, the leveling up helps keep you very involved and it's a good middle ground for evolution, where you can't just evolve into anything, but you aren't locked to 1 or 2 options either (usually).
  3. This is a very hard question for me, lol. I've technically raised my modern devices dozens of times each, but at this point my go to for actual casual raising is the DMX still. I think Pen20 is the one I've run the most, but that was to get 100% in my albums. For old devices, definitely the Accel, I come up with excuses to run it all the time. X variants of two of my 3 favorite Digimon are on the Red (Triceramon and Okyuwamon) but my all-time favorite Zudomon is not.
  4. Either the Pendulum Progress or the Pendulum X. They Day/Night training mechanic on the Progress is a tad annoying, and the sheer number of shakes required for older Digimon is ABSURD. The on-device battles are also very boring, and evolution is way too open-ended for my tastes. One thing it has going for it though is a great stats system, and I know plenty of people that do love it. The Pendulum X is just annoying because there are times it feels like no matter what you do, the game screws you over. Get a perfect shake? Too bad, you rolled a 1, so you lose. Roll a 7? Too bad the enemy hit first with a Tera-hit, so you die instantly. Did you do the exact strange number of special items you needed to feed, along with several other requirements? Probably not, so you get Kuwagamon/Monochromon. I swear even when I am almost positive I met requirements, I still can get the default evolution, and I'm not alone there. The nice things about the PenX are that it's the first device with a solid quest mode, and is honestly fun to go through... when you don't get screwed by the XAI. The sprites are also fantastic!

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey all,

So I have a DM20 and Blue Pen20, but I'm looking to buy me a new V Pet while we wait on the release of the new pendulums. However, I am having major issues deciding which I want. I missed out completely on the Digimon X line (as I wasn't sure about the X aesthetic at first)...but I also kind of want the other version of the Pendulum 20th (the Black one or the Beezlbumon one). As far as my budget is concerned, since these are so expensive now I will likely only be able to afford one. Which should I get? I already have a Pen20, but it'd be nice to have access to at least the other OG Pendulum eggs (and my attempts to hack my existing Pendulum failed, and due to their price I'm reluctant to try a second time). At the same time, I feel I weird having missed out on the X line as a whole. What are the benefits of one over the other? What are the cons? I'm just looking to gather other opinions to help inform my decision. Thanks for any help!

Megatronacepticon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey all,

So I have a DM20 and Blue Pen20, but I'm looking to buy me a new V Pet while we wait on the release of the new pendulums. However, I am having major issues deciding which I want. I missed out completely on the Digimon X line (as I wasn't sure about the X aesthetic at first)...but I also kind of want the other version of the Pendulum 20th (the Black one or the Beezlbumon one). As far as my budget is concerned, since these are so expensive now I will likely only be able to afford one. Which should I get? I already have a Pen20, but it'd be nice to have access to at least the other OG Pendulum eggs (and my attempts to hack my existing Pendulum failed, and due to their price I'm reluctant to try a second time). At the same time, I feel I weird having missed out on the X line as a whole. What are the benefits of one over the other? What are the cons? I'm just looking to gather other opinions to help inform my decision. Thanks for any help!
I would go for the Beelzemon Pen20. Then you get the Lalamon egg as well as the remaining OG Pendulum eggs.

Pen20 Beelze
Pros: You get the remaining 3 OG Pen eggs and it's great fun to play around with jogressing to see what you get. You can also train them to full with just one Pendulum shake if you Megahit (which isn't too hard), and you can also put them in the freezer if you need to go out and can't take them. Their evolution timer carries on even while the sleep, but not when they're in the fridge. The batteries also last for quite a long time before they need to be changed. This would be my favorite device if it wasn't for one major con.

Cons: It can be glitchy and you run the risk of getting your savefile corrupted every time you have to change the battery. Luckily you can reduce the chance of this happening by pressing the reset button before you remove the battery and again when you put the new one in. The other major con is that it uses an accellerometer instead of a Pendulum (there is a pendulum in it but it's just for show and doesn't do anything other than make the noise) and when the battery starts to run low the accellerometer stops working.

DMX
Pros: Playing through the battles and level ups is good fun. They have a lot of the QOL improvements from the Pen20s including the fridge and evolution timer running while they sleep. They poop as much as the DM20s, but they can handle more poop before they get sick so it's not really an issue.

Cons: Getting to high levels becomes a grind when you've finished the quest mode and if you get the wrong dice roll for the day you're stuck getting bugger all experience which makes the grind even longer. They wake up at 7am and their random events tends to happen within the first couple of hours after they wake up, so if you're not a morning person they're going to get annoying when they keep beeping at you because the random encounter enemy wants to fight you 15 times in the space of 10 minutes. (it's not that bad, but I've had him show up 3 times in quick succession before even though I'd already beaten him) The batteries don't last nearly as long as they do on the Pendulums.

The Pen20 has more raisable Digimon in it than an individual DMX does and since you already have the blue Pen20 getting the Beelzemon Pen20 will unlock the Lalamon egg on both whereas a DMX won't. The X3s (the only ones I have) are fun, but in your position I'd probably buy the Beelzemon Pen20 over a DMX. Also if you do get a DMX make it an X2 or X3, they both have a bigger roster than the X1.

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey all,

I would go for the Beelzemon Pen20. Then you get the Lalamon egg as well as the remaining OG Pendulum eggs.

Pen20 Beelze
Pros: You get the remaining 3 OG Pen eggs and it's great fun to play around with jogressing to see what you get. You can also train them to full with just one Pendulum shake if you Megahit (which isn't too hard), and you can also put them in the freezer if you need to go out and can't take them. Their evolution timer carries on even while the sleep, but not when they're in the fridge. The batteries also last for quite a long time before they need to be changed. This would be my favorite device if it wasn't for one major con.

Cons: It can be glitchy and you run the risk of getting your savefile corrupted every time you have to change the battery. Luckily you can reduce the chance of this happening by pressing the reset button before you remove the battery and again when you put the new one in. The other major con is that it uses an accellerometer instead of a Pendulum (there is a pendulum in it but it's just for show and doesn't do anything other than make the noise) and when the battery starts to run low the accellerometer stops working.

DMX
Pros: Playing through the battles and level ups is good fun. They have a lot of the QOL improvements from the Pen20s including the fridge and evolution timer running while they sleep. They poop as much as the DM20s, but they can handle more poop before they get sick so it's not really an issue.

Cons: Getting to high levels becomes a grind when you've finished the quest mode and if you get the wrong dice roll for the day you're stuck getting bugger all experience which makes the grind even longer. They wake up at 7am and their random events tends to happen within the first couple of hours after they wake up, so if you're not a morning person they're going to get annoying when they keep beeping at you because the random encounter enemy wants to fight you 15 times in the space of 10 minutes. (it's not that bad, but I've had him show up 3 times in quick succession before even though I'd already beaten him) The batteries don't last nearly as long as they do on the Pendulums.

The Pen20 has more raisable Digimon in it than an individual DMX does and since you already have the blue Pen20 getting the Beelzemon Pen20 will unlock the Lalamon egg on both whereas a DMX won't. The X3s (the only ones I have) are fun, but in your position I'd probably buy the Beelzemon Pen20 over a DMX. Also if you do get a DMX make it an X2 or X3, they both have a bigger roster than the X1.
Thanks for the tips! The only thing that steers me away from the Beezlebumon version is the sheer price of it right now. Looks like it's impossible to find for less than $200-300. The Black version seems to be going for around $150 granted, and the X2 seems to be the most affordable version of that but even it seems to be $80+ depending where I look.

EDIT: I went with the X2. While I still want the other pendulum, I still have a (very small) hope that we'll get an English release. If we don't...well I'll try to hunt one down then. But I kind of want to at least have one of the X devices, and it was more affordable. Better get one now while it is.

Last edited:

icymon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Same here. Pen 20 is too expensive in my area. I can actually pre-order 3 Pendulum Z for the price of 1 Pen 20!

I would suggest buying 1 of X2 and 1 of X3 rather than 2 of X2s and 2 of X3s. There are quite a number of digimon overlap in the same series.

rquinain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey all, I'm pretty set on getting a Japanese D-3. I'm not fussy about getting a used one, as long as it works. There's some decently priced listings on eBay for the OG D-3. However, I noticed that the Ver 15th D-3 is incredibly expensive, whether NIB or OOB. Is there a reason for this? What are the game play or physical differences between the original D-3 and the Ver 15th? I've tried to find a comparison guide or video but no success.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The main issue is that on the original D-3, you can't evolve to Perfect without another D-3 (or a D-Com), and you can't evolve to Ultimate without a certain Wonderswan game (which AFAIK nobody has analyzed the signal for yet).

rquinain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The main issue is that on the original D-3, you can't evolve to Perfect without another D-3 (or a D-Com), and you can't evolve to Ultimate without a certain Wonderswan game (which AFAIK nobody has analyzed the signal for yet).
Ugh, that sucks. I don't want to be locked out of two whole stages of Digimon. The cheapest I can find a Ver 15th is $310 which is pretty out of my budget right now, and it's for the Daisuke color but I'd prefer the Ken or Paildramon color. Though in the end, color doesn't really matter and I'll get what I can get.

I do have the American releases of the D-3 (ver. 1 and ver. 2, but my ver. 1 doesn't work anymore) and the D-Terminal. Any functionality with those for the original Japanese D-3?

cool potato

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there a d-ark that has monodramon in the roster?

Could've sworn I saw it before but can't find any evidence of it atm

Last edited:

rquinain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Loo
Ugh, that sucks. I don't want to be locked out of two whole stages of Digimon. The cheapest I can find a Ver 15th is $310 which is pretty out of my budget right now, and it's for the Daisuke color but I'd prefer the Ken or Paildramon color. Though in the end, color doesn't really matter and I'll get what I can get.

I do have the American releases of the D-3 (ver. 1 and ver. 2, but my ver. 1 doesn't work anymore) and the D-Terminal. Any functionality with those for the original Japanese D-3?
Worth looking into pre ordering the ver. complete.

All of the functionality of the 15th plus added content. Less expensive too.

So long as you're not in a hurry.
Looking for the D-3! Not the original Digivice.

cool potato

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry - noticed that afterwards and then edited my original message with the question that brought me to this thread!