What inconsequential things would you change about anything in Digimon if you could?

Illu

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For me, I'd change Shoutmon X7 Superior mode's name into Shoutmon Infinity, or maybe Shoutmon XInfinity or something. I's also change Arresterdramon Superior mode's name as well. Maybe into Neo Arresterdramon or something. I just find "Superior mode" kinda lazy.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe you wouldn't call this inconsequential, but I would have for the most part capped levelling at Ultimate (Lvl.5/Perfect).
Keep all the forms, but like, MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon would instead be alternate Ultimates instead of inherently stronger Megas.
Then a few Digimon like Omnimon would be Lvl.6.

I think two babies, an "At-Rest" form, a "Serious" form and an "All-out form" was the sweet spot for pacing out power mile-stones.
In Games especially, since you're always striving for the strongest forms, more levels increasingly invalidates weaker forms.

Not to say it hasn't been doing fine with the current system.
I think the way Appmon did it (getting to Ultimate about 2/5s in, then saving the God forms for the very finale) was pretty effective.

Hydranoid413

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Making terminology consistent, like what the difference between Jogress, Jogress Evolution and Fusion is

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One baby form in the DS games was better than two though I'm not a fan of having first stage babies evolve directly to rookie when they do that so I guess it'd delete all first stage babies.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seconding the terminology thing. Even if I don't like some localizations, being consistent is important.

I think something quite inconsequential would be for every recolor digimon to have their own artwork that differs significantly from the original species. And here I don't mean redesign, which to me would be quite consequential (and personally, ideal in some cases). I mean just really having a different artwork that shows why that digimon is different from the original one in personality or showcases a different aspect of it better. Some recolor artwork does that, but not all.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Making terminology consistent, like what the difference between Jogress, Jogress Evolution and Fusion is
This but for Ultimate to mean the same between English and Japanese. I don't really care too much if it replaces Japanese "Perfect" or English "Mega".

Since black and purple were first teased as upcoming colors in the Digimon Card Game, I've wished that Numemon and Sukamon were purple cards instead of black. I get that black is meant to include mutant types but those two are not very defensive in the lore or have high DP and they're just a lot more fitting being low memory investment creatures for Purple that they can sacrifice and have them hang out in the Trash and give benefits from the Trash. It just works really well in my head.

Something that seems like it should be inconsequential but is honestly super consequential is to not have Pokemon and Digimon both end in "mon". That one little thing has caused so much annoyance from people who don't know anything about Digimon even to this day

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This but for Ultimate to mean the same between English and Japanese. I don't really care too much if it replaces Japanese "Perfect" or English "Mega".

Since black and purple were first teased as upcoming colors in the Digimon Card Game, I've wished that Numemon and Sukamon were purple cards instead of black. I get that black is meant to include mutant types but those two are not very defensive in the lore or have high DP and they're just a lot more fitting being low memory investment creatures for Purple that they can sacrifice and have them hang out in the Trash and give benefits from the Trash. It just works really well in my head.

Something that seems like it should be inconsequential but is honestly super consequential is to not have Pokemon and Digimon both end in "mon". That one little thing has caused so much annoyance from people who don't know anything about Digimon even to this day
Well tbf, Pokemon ending in mon is the dub name as the Japanese name is Pocket Monsters. The Japanese do sometimes use Pokemon as a result but that's just like how some Digimon products in Japan use dub terms.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well tbf, Pokemon ending in mon is the dub name as the Japanese name is Pocket Monsters. The Japanese do sometimes use Pokemon as a result but that's just like how some Digimon products in Japan use dub terms.
yeah but explaining all that to normies doesn't really move them forward from wanting to compare the two -Mon series whenever Digimon is brought up

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Japan has been shortening Pocket Monster to Pokemon well before the English localization, it's in the first Japanese opening.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, the creatures themselves are called pokemon, and the word is said constantly in the anime itself. Even in the original Japanese. Everything in the pokemon world has "poke" somewhere. Is a fair mistake to make. Specially when you consider how young these franchises are. Pokemon has only existed since the 90s. For a lot of people those are weird fad that would be gone soon. Is amazing grandmas remember what a Pikachu is at all.

---

This might not be entirely inconsequential, but I would fold some Types into one another. Or at least create the concept of subtypes. Gammamon shouldn't just be a Ceratopsian, he should also count as a Dinosaur. This would actually have a significant relevance in the card game, so I guess is kind of cheating. But that's what I would do.

Similar or too similar Types get folded into one another for consistency, or the very niche ones become a subtype to existing ones. I actually prefer the latter, because I'd rather add things than remove them.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, the creatures themselves are called pokemon, and the word is said constantly in the anime itself. Even in the original Japanese. Everything in the pokemon world has "poke" somewhere. Is a fair mistake to make. Specially when you consider how young these franchises are. Pokemon has only existed since the 90s. For a lot of people those are weird fad that would be gone soon. Is amazing grandmas remember what a Pikachu is at all.

---

This might not be entirely inconsequential, but I would fold some Types into one another. Or at least create the concept of subtypes. Gammamon shouldn't just be a Ceratopsian, he should also count as a Dinosaur. This would actually have a significant relevance in the card game, so I guess is kind of cheating. But that's what I would do.

Similar or too similar Types get folded into one another for consistency, or the very niche ones become a subtype to existing ones. I actually prefer the latter, because I'd rather add things than remove them.
The creatures are Pocket Monsters in Japanese according to the wikis. At most, it's used as a shortening like how Digimon is short for Digital Monster but the official name of the franchise is Pocket Monsters and you have games like Pocket Monsters Red. If the branding was used how gamefreak intended Pokemon would just be a shorthand nickname but copyright got in the way of that and as such the term Pocket Monster isn't used in English due to the Monster in My Pocket franchise. If that name had been used, I don't think this stigma would exist but at the flip side Digimon itself probably becomes less popular since a lot will have checked it out because of the name especially after Dexit

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a feeling they would end up still being compared a lot due to the niche they occupy as anime and videogame franchises, but perhaps they would be less aggressively compared. Much how Monster Rancher is often out of the equation in such discussions.

Although...that's probably mostly due to Monster Rancher never quite panning out as it's other 'mon cousins. Yeah, nevermind.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Variable should not have existed. If Frontier-era Bandai wanted to once again cop out with a total non-attribute, they should've just stuck with Free. More so since Free would eventually be retconned anyway, from "changes to the other attributes based on raising" to just being completely neutral, which is effectively no different from Variable changing to the same attribute as the opponent (in fact, is there ever a situation where Free and Variable act differently, if both even get featured in the same piece of media to begin with?).

I wish the Digi-Beetle got to appear in more media. Having a Digimon storage device that also doubles as a mobile weapon just seems awesome, and way less like a Pokeball knock-off than just having Digimon be stored inside of the Digivice (which seems to have become the standard for media featuring Tamers who possess multiple Digimon).

Seconding the terminology thing. Even if I don't like some localizations, being consistent is important.

I think something quite inconsequential would be for every recolor digimon to have their own artwork that differs significantly from the original species. And here I don't mean redesign, which to me would be quite consequential (and personally, ideal in some cases). I mean just really having a different artwork that shows why that digimon is different from the original one in personality or showcases a different aspect of it better. Some recolor artwork does that, but not all.
I know what you mean. For some reason, the viral Greymon line (though not the black Agumon) all got their own unique profile art (granted, the blue MetalGreymon came first, but its Vaccine counterpart likewise got its own art). Then you look at the viral Gabumon line..... just a lazy cop-out all across the board. And this is sadly the case with maybe all of the Digimon World recolors, too.

Speaking of the Digimon World recolors, what were they thinking with changing some of them in their profile art? A reddish-brown Shamamon and a gray Zassoumon seem way more distinguished than having them just be a slightly differently-shaded Goburimon and Vegimon (furthermore, Shamamon would've fit well with Fuugamon among Ogremon's own set of recolors).

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Give recolor Digimon more differences so that while they resemble the Digimon they're based on, they aren't full-on pallete swaps. Like give Tsukaimon more tattered wings or something.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Variable should not have existed. If Frontier-era Bandai wanted to once again cop out with a total non-attribute, they should've just stuck with Free. More so since Free would eventually be retconned anyway, from "changes to the other attributes based on raising" to just being completely neutral, which is effectively no different from Variable changing to the same attribute as the opponent (in fact, is there ever a situation where Free and Variable act differently, if both even get featured in the same piece of media to begin with?).

I wish the Digi-Beetle got to appear in more media. Having a Digimon storage device that also doubles as a mobile weapon just seems awesome, and way less like a Pokeball knock-off than just having Digimon be stored inside of the Digivice (which seems to have become the standard for media featuring Tamers who possess multiple Digimon).

Free and Variable working different would prob only work in an anime where two Digimon realise what's going on and so then the Digimon of two varying attributes attack together. Then if the Variable Digimon changes to be both having taken the two attacks at the same time, let's say Virus and Vaccine, the Vaccine attack would then be super effective against it as it is now both Vaccine and Virus. But that's only if it even works that way and if it'd just be neutral to both attacks it just got hit by or not, if it does work where it'd now count as Vaccine/Virus at the same time due to two Digimon teaming up against it then that's a clever way to defeat a Hybrid Digimon. Otherwise it is indeed meaningless and is the same as Free. That's the best way to make it work as its own thing I think and even then that just makes it worse than Free in the first place since it'd have that massive drawback in fights that aren't 1v1..

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Free and Variable working different would prob only work in an anime where two Digimon realise what's going on and so then the Digimon of two varying attributes attack together. Then if the Variable Digimon changes to be both having taken the two attacks at the same time, let's say Virus and Vaccine, the Vaccine attack would then be super effective against it as it is now both Vaccine and Virus. But that's only if it even works that way and if it'd just be neutral to both attacks it just got hit by or not, if it does work where it'd now count as Vaccine/Virus at the same time due to two Digimon teaming up against it then that's a clever way to defeat a Hybrid Digimon. Otherwise it is indeed meaningless and is the same as Free. That's the best way to make it work as its own thing I think and even then that just makes it worse than Free in the first place since it'd have that massive drawback in fights that aren't 1v1..
Well, I did consider the possibility of a Variable Digimon going against multiple opponents. I don't picture it taking on the characteristics of multiple attributes at the same time so much as turning into just one attribute at a time, in which case, it'd actually be advantageous against two opponents (take on the attribute that's strong against one opponent and neutral against the other). It's when there're three or more opponents with differing attributes that it'd be more of problem (assuming one of those opponents isn't Unknown). But yeah, at any rate, it's extremely situational (and I don't think anything more than one-on-one is even possible in the LCD toys, which introduced both the Free and Variable mechanics in the first place).

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Well, I did consider the possibility of a Variable Digimon going against multiple opponents. I don't picture it taking on the characteristics of multiple attributes at the same time so much as turning into just one attribute at a time, in which case, it'd actually be advantageous against two opponents (take on the attribute that's strong against one opponent and neutral against the other). It's when there're three or more opponents with differing attributes that it'd be more of problem (assuming one of those opponents isn't Unknown). But yeah, at any rate, it's extremely situational (and I don't think anything more than one-on-one is even possible in the LCD toys, which introduced both the Free and Variable mechanics in the first place).
Right but I meant defending. If WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon punch KaiserGreymon at the same time then it's likely he would count as Vaccine and Data and take neutral damage from War's punch but then Metal's punch would be super effective against him.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
why would Metal Garurumon punch, he's got paws

xm0c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe a controversial opinion, but I wish they would definitively say one way or the other that there is a Super Ultimate Level. I know the majority of sources say that levels stop at Ultimate, but then you have the reference book, arguably the definitive source for Digimon, which very clearly calls Amagemon a Super Ultmate.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe a controversial opinion, but I wish they would definitively say one way or the other that there is a Super Ultimate Level. I know the majority of sources say that levels stop at Ultimate, but then you have the reference book, arguably the definitive source for Digimon, which very clearly calls Amagemon a Super Ultmate.
The same reference book classifies Armagemon as Ultimate, however. It seems to be more of a title than an actual level.

edit: but yes, I agree it would be nice to know what they define as "Super Ultimate" with more clarity.