What if IDW Made Digimon Comics?

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What Digimon crossovers would you like from IDW? If there's one thing they love it's crossovers. They did a TMNT/Batman comic that was pretty good.

On a side note, it kind of bugs me that a lot of people in this forum don't want to see the Adventure cast. I mean come on, it's not like they've been appearing in anime for 20 years straight. (Ash Ketchum, anyone?)

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh. You mean the Black and White ones?
That is what I meant. If you look at the Chronicles and D-Cyber comics, what I seen, they was black and white, and they done very good art on them. Love both Dorumon and Ryudamon artwork on the comics.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While I would prefer an original continuity, a prequel to Cyber Sleuth about Kyoko and an amnesiac Dorumon could be pretty cool. I dunno why, but after Hacker's Memory, I like the idea of adding more layers to the Cyber Sleuth universe.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On a side note, it kind of bugs me that a lot of people in this forum don't want to see the Adventure cast. I mean come on, it's not like they've been appearing in anime for 20 years straight. (Ash Ketchum, anyone?)
To be fair, it's more that Adventure is already getting a lot of stuff for it like tri in recent years compared to Frontier or Fusion and people don't want it to be just Adventure again.

While they are not as overexposed as Ash, there is a risk of that happening if companies think that Digimon is only Adventure.

Last edited:

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair, it's more that Adventure is already getting a lot of stuff for it like tri in recent years compared to Frontier or Fusion and people don't want it to be just Adventure again.

While they are not as overexposed as Ash, there is a risk of that happening if companies think that Digimon is only Adventure.
True, but that doesn't change the fact that Tai, Matt, Sora, etc. are THE most iconic and well-known characters in the franchise. Even then, it hasn't stopped Toei from producing entirely original characters like in Appmon.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would be hard to top Pokemon's gen 1 pandering the last half a decade+

whilst they do use a lot from season 1, they still use plenty of the others. Like how the most recent game main Digimon were Ankylomon (season 2), Cyberdramon (Season 3), and wormmon (season 2)

if that was pokemon it'd prob just be charizard, blastoise and venasuar, cuz lol

you could argue they focus a bit too much on Royal Knights, but thats mid franchise at least lol

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair, 02 is technically an extension of Adventure as it's the same continuity so I'm not sure that really counts. If there was more from Frontier, Data Squad and Fusion it'd be less of an issue.

And bare in mind that the Royal Knights technically weren't tied to any specific anime continuity in the first place despite playing a prominent role in at least three since you had members appearing in every series except Appli Monsters.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think an original series with completely new characters would be nice to see for the franchise. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that Bandai typically creates comics for Digimon series after the anime is out? If so, a manga/comic released before any anime adaptation like most anime nowadays may serve to generate more interest before any show comes out.

Or even a manga based on one of the games that have come out recently?

Yeah, I heard about those. Is there a way to find them?
Yeah, likely buy them on Ebay.
Nothing on Ebay, how unfortunate.

From what I've googled, Dragomon and MetalEtemon return in these comics to fight the 02 kids

I do to see some of the books on Ebay for the US version of the first 13 episodes.

Actually finding this UK comic would be interesting. Though would be non canon, I suppose.
Judging from who did the art for those comics, they are likely to be non-canon. Interesting premise to deviate from the anime however.

Muur I own a few of them lol. Mostly 02 and Tamers ones
Anything interesting/noteworthy happen in them? Dragomon returning is intriguing...

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What if one of the writers for IDW Digimon was Ian Flynn?

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i'd rather leave digimon to japan only, to be honest
This x1000. Leave Digimon japan only. Special with how toxic and incompetent the western comicbook industry has gotten. Digimon’s appeal comes from japan, their main market is japan, and when ever the west tries to alter it they just end up dumbing it down or ruining it. Heck there’s already the whole sistermon controversy. We don’t need anymore drama.

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just for the sake of convenience, let's stick with the cast of characters from Adventure.

Here's what I imagine the plots would be for some of them:

Transformers: The Autobots and Decepticons stumble upon the Digital World thanks to a mishap involving Teletraan I and a malfunctioning space bridge. The DigiDestined meet the Autobots while evil Digimon form an alliance with the Decepticons.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The DigiDestined go on a vacation to New York City. They meet the turtles and initially mistake them for Digimon, but quickly find out they're anything but.

My Little Pony: The DigiDestined end up in Equestria where they meet Twilight Sparkle and all her friends. As they get to know each other, the two groups of heroes discover how much in common they have with each other.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Chaos Control sends Sonic, his friends, and Dr. Eggman to the Digimon universe. Now the DigiDestined must help them get back home, while dealing with Eggman, who has taken an interest in Digimon.

What do you guys think?

SparkGold

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't really mind which company does it but Digimon comic books are a desire I've had so many times!

i'd rather leave digimon to japan only, to be honest
I disagree as Digimon is based heavily on American comic books. Doing it by people who grew up on/made American comic books in the 90s has a higher chance of catching that feeling again

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I disagree as Digimon is based heavily on American comic books. Doing it by people who grew up on/made American comic books in the 90s has a higher chance of catching that feeling again
The design style is based somewhat on American comics. The storytelling is not, and has never been - it’s about as traditional anime/manga as you can get, Adventure and V-Tamer especially.

Using the Power Rangers comics as a metric for what hypothetical western Digimon comics might be like...I’ll admit, I’m not find. I think those comics have some genuinely interesting ideas, and some really cool concepts...but I’m just not a fan of how the characters themselves were reinterpreted, and I very much doubt I would for the Adventure kids also.

SparkGold

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@The Chaos Entity I was thinking of Digimon before Adventure and what carries over to reference book entires: the over the top, gritty, Gundramon inhabiting, cool for the sake of being cool, survival of the fittest Digimon that just screams 90s comics that is still being very much so captured to this day with Digimon like Rebelimon. I mean heck, Oyajitchi being crossovered into Digimon and becoming Nanimon is exactly the same thing that happens to IPs that crossover into gritty on purpose DC comics.
If it comes to an adaptation of Digimon Anime in a western comic I fully agree the translation has a low chance of doing it right. I mean, I'd still read it, and probably just see it in a campy and ironic way and have a decent time, but it's a really bad concept to attempt as it is very easy to make a lacking product

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Japanese characters always look weird drawn by US comic artists. I’m not worried about most of the Digimon, but the humans. The Child Digimon could be an issue too, given they’re more Japanese than the higher levels.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@The Chaos Entity I was thinking of Digimon before Adventure and what carries over to reference book entires: the over the top, gritty, Gundramon inhabiting, cool for the sake of being cool, survival of the fittest Digimon that just screams 90s comics that is still being very much so captured to this day with Digimon like Rebelimon. I mean heck, Oyajitchi being crossovered into Digimon and becoming Nanimon is exactly the same thing that happens to IPs that crossover into gritty on purpose DC comics.
If it comes to an adaptation of Digimon Anime in a western comic I fully agree the translation has a low chance of doing it right. I mean, I'd still read it, and probably just see it in a campy and ironic way and have a decent time, but it's a really bad concept to attempt as it is very easy to make a lacking product
Ah, fair! Yeah, I agree that the base settings for several Digimon really feel like they come from both classic anime and manga as well as western comics and films too!

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Japanese characters always look weird drawn by US comic artists. I’m not worried about most of the Digimon, but the humans. The Child Digimon could be an issue too, given they’re more Japanese than the higher levels.
Well it's not like they'd have to draw Japanese characters. They'd most likely draw American kids.

Vittorini

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That would be insanely cool.
IDW published real masterpieces with TMNT and Transformers.

And now I’m hoping for a Digimon comic book ... I don’t thank you guys !