What if IDW Made Digimon Comics?

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

For those who don't know, IDW Publishing is a comic book publishing company best known for their adaptations of popular movies, TV shows, video games, and cartoons. Notable examples include Ghostbusters, Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Trek, and more recently Sonic the Hedgehog.

Which makes me wonder, what if they picked up the license to make comics on the Digimon franchise? I imagine it would revolve around the characters from the first Adventure series albeit in an alternate universe. Not to mention each DigiDestined would get a microseries focusing on them. Much like in IDW's Ninja Turtles comic. IDW could also make comics based on other Digimon series like Tamers, Frontier, Data Squad, etc.

This wouldn't be the first time IDW made comics based on anime. They made Yo-Kai Watch comics a while back. Hell, if you want to go WAY back, there were Digimon comics made by Dark Horse Comics back when Adventure first aired in the US. So far, it's the only piece of Digimon media I'm aware of that ISN'T produced in Japan.

What do you think of this idea? Do you think IDW would make some good Digimon comics?

Last edited:

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd prefer Boom! Studios tackle it, if anything. They're definitely a lot better at the nostalgia game at this point. Those Power Ranger comics are delightful.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’d be able to see them salvage series like XW with their writing ability and their skill to weave versions of the series into one. I wonder how they’d introduce their own Digimon?

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It'd be better to make their own story, like the games do

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Archie did the classic 90's TMNT. You might be thinking of Power Rangers. I think. But either IDW or Boom could work.

boredmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i'd rather leave digimon to japan only, to be honest

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a pretty backwards way to look at things.

Besides... Digimon Rumble Arena 2 was made by western devs and released in Japan. So they already did a thing. We we need is good stories, games etc, who makes them is irrelevant. Plus a non Japanese spin on it could be neat. Detective Pikachu is being made in Hollywood, and people are hyped

Solomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Panini in the UK ran their own version of events in 02 that deviated from the Anime. Digimon is not popular enough to get a new comic though..
Yeah, I heard about those. Is there a way to find them?

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I heard about those. Is there a way to find them?
Yeah, likely buy them on Ebay.
Nothing on Ebay, how unfortunate.

From what I've googled, Dragomon and MetalEtemon return in these comics to fight the 02 kids

I do to see some of the books on Ebay for the US version of the first 13 episodes.

Actually finding this UK comic would be interesting. Though would be non canon, I suppose.

Last edited:

boredmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a pretty backwards way to look at things.

Besides... Digimon Rumble Arena 2 was made by western devs and released in Japan. So they already did a thing. We we need is good stories, games etc, who makes them is irrelevant. Plus a non Japanese spin on it could be neat. Detective Pikachu is being made in Hollywood, and people are hyped
It's just my opinion, you can disagree all you want

SuperStarlite

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do like the idea of an american run of Digimon comics, but there's a 95% chance that it would end up running off nostalgia and just be some sort of retelling/spin off to the Adventure series. Not something I'd be interested in, and honestly a major annoyance of mine that's prevalent in American media. They're almost always trying to drag things back to the beginning, and if it is a new story they'll throw in the dimensional game and eventually have some sort of cross over.

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@SuperStarlite I agree with Murr that starting their own continuity would be the smart way to go. Building up their own branch of the multiverse is less constrictive and more interesting. But the odd one shot crossover wouldn't be so bad. V-Tamer did them well, and they're pretty common in the games aswell.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Archie did the classic 90's TMNT. You might be thinking of Power Rangers. I think. But either IDW or Boom could work.
The ones I was thinking of is from the mid 1980s. The first comic came out in 1984, and run for 2 years.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think I would be interested unless it was an almost entirely original storyline, with new characters and everything. I'm not interested in another Adventure rehash...