What if 4Kids got Digimon?

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I know 4Kids is a dead horse at this point (they literally went under in 2017), but I can't help it. What if 4Kids dubbed Digimon from the first Adventure series all the way up to Tri? It can range from the surprisingly tolerable 4Kids from the Pokemon dub, to the painfully awful, political correctness-obsessed 4Kids from the One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew and Sonic X dubs.

On a side note, what do you think would be the voice cast for a Digimon 4Kids dub?

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For sure it would've been different, but not necessarily in a good way.

We probably wouldn't get so many gags thrown in, but I question how much of the show would have remained intact, considering we have characters like Angemon, Devimon, SkullGreymon, and not to mention Revolmon. They outright removed an episode of Pokemon for featuring guns being pointed at characters' faces, and they awkwardly edited guns out of Yu-Gi-Oh! in a weird way. But imagine the looks of the 4kids execs when they see that Revolmon is a gun with arms and legs!

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

We probably wouldn't get so many gags thrown in, but I question how much of the show would have remained intact, considering we have characters like Angemon, Devimon, SkullGreymon, and not to mention Revolmon. They outright removed an episode of Pokemon for featuring guns being pointed at characters' faces, and they awkwardly edited guns out of Yu-Gi-Oh! in a weird way. But imagine the looks of the 4kids execs when they see that Revolmon is a gun with arms and legs!
They'd just skip the episode.

Also, Tai could be called... Kieth. and other such names. At least most other name changes are similar. Actually 4Kids are really into pun names but I'm not cringing enough to come up with any cringey Digimon related names.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm grateful 4Kids didn't have the license to Digimon. Considering how terrible the dubs under 4Chan was with all the needless censoring and changes in dialogue and even character's names, it didn't even resemble the originals in terms of story. So much of the original meaning was lost, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, even the Italian property Winx Club.

I didn't mind Saban, still don't. It wouldn't have been what it was or still is to the many fans today if 4Chan had dubbed it.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I doubt it would have made much difference. Maybe a little more censorship, but there was already plenty of that in the Digimon dubs we've gotten. For Revolmon in 02 they could have gone the Fusion route and recolored him, say his attack uses dark energy balls to send people to the Shadow Realm.

It wouldn't have been what it was or still is to the many fans today if 4Chan had dubbed it.
4chan dubbing Digimon? That I'd like to see.

Last edited:

DPTronazel

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I bet they would censor that one scene in Tamers where Beelzemon kills Leomon.

"Leomon, I shall banish you to the Shadow Realm Megalithic Mainframe!"

Either that or Leomon disappears for no reason.
LAWL

Or either removes the scene where Leomon gets stricken and just shows the kids in horror as they look while he's dead off screen something like that.

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

They'd just skip the episode.

Also, Tai could be called... Kieth. and other such names. At least most other name changes are similar. Actually 4Kids are really into pun names but I'm not cringing enough to come up with any cringey Digimon related names.
Not to mention Sora would be named Sally and Mimi would be named Lola.

D O R U g o r a m o n

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
4Kids would butcher Digimon. It would be funny if someone did a 4kids style fandub though.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I doubt it would have made much difference. Maybe a little more censorship, but there was already plenty of that in the Digimon dubs we've gotten. For Revolmon in 02 they could have gone the Fusion route and recolored him, say his attack uses dark energy balls to send people to the Shadow Realm.

It wouldn't have been what it was or still is to the many fans today if 4Chan had dubbed it.
4chan dubbing Digimon? That I'd like to see.
Typo, didn't mean to write 4Chan, obviously meant 4Kids.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Somehow, that could be worse depending on who does it from there but... 4Kids doing it would make it suck somewhat. The best dub they ever did was Pokemon and even that wasn't too great. But we all know 4Kids sucked. Al Kahn was an old dumb racist... OK, those might have been a bit much but still. It'd probably be as good or slightly worse then Pokemon.

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
Looking at 4kids and trying to find consistency in their dubs is like trying to find water in a desert, 90% of the time it's a mirage. Up to this point most people have generally mentioned the basics so I won't go over those again, but here are some edit's I could see them doing.

Angewomon is now wearing a full body skin suit. The Angewomon and Deviwomon cat fights are cut short in both instances. Deputymon gets edited over so he has no guns and now "throws mud balls" as an attack. They would cut the bit where Tai recounts getting slapped by his mom for taking a very ill Kari outside, they might mention him getting grounded instead. Matt and TK's parents aren't divorced and extra dialogue for them is added in when they appear in latter seasons to emphasize they are a happy couple. Last one I can think of is the D-reaper gets edited to heck complete with a pallet swap from red to a dark purple.

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
I thought the Saban dub already cut Taichi getting slapped?
Ah apparently that was an edited scene. They removed the action of the event but the implication was still left with Tai's red cheek and his mothers raised hand. Sorry for my confusion I was unaware of the edit and even when it aired as a kid it was pretty easy to figure out what had happened.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We've had the most insane localization choices already like when someone shortened Omegamon's crotch armour because they thought it was you know, an actual crotch in Fusion. And we already had a Digirap. Also yhat Angela Anaconda thing. Lol. Not sure anything could be worse than that.

digibro217

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
4Kids would butcher Digimon. It would be funny if someone did a 4kids style fandub though.
Same. They already did one for Kill La Kill.

I can see the fist fight between Tai and Matt having even more edits than the Saban dub.