What exactly were the International Chosen Children good for?

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get the marketing stand point: Any kid can be a chosen child and have a digimon partner. Look at all these Digimon! But from a story stand point? The homeostasis selected those 8 kids out of a bunch of kids who witnessed Greymon fight Parrotmon at Hikarigoaka to fight against the darkness that created The Dark Masters. Then it selected Ken and Ryo to deal with Milleniumon. Then it selected Daisuke, Iori, and Miyako (and re recruited Takeru and Hikari) to deal with the Kaiser and whoever was pulling his strings. But the kids around the globe? They uh kind of helped out but not really when Digimon started coming to earth but not really. They obviously weren’t going to do much in the Digital World when evolution is blocked and none of them could regularly access the digital world on a day to day basis like the 2002 Japanese team. I can’t think what makes them “Chosen” and not randomly selected to have a virtual pet monster in the flesh after winning the Digital Lottery to say nothing of Oikawa and the dark seed kids getting Digimon to feel better about themselves.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would assume they had their own adventures and dealt with stuff that happened in their own countries, and probably popped up in the DW from time to time to help out.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always figured it was just to show the world(s) was bigger than just the main 8(12). Sure, the main kids are still the ones stopping the world from being destroyed, and Koshiro being a super genius gives them the easiest access to the digital world, but they're still a small group of kids. The digital world is a big, crazy place, it's not hard to guess that you'd still have anomalies where digimon pop out into the real world from all over the place, and they aren't all going to end up in Tokyo. So naturally, to deal with these occasional breeches, you'd need kids all over the Earth.

All headcanon of course, but it's what I go with.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those international chosen children is pretty much mascot figures to appeal to international digimon fanbase I reckon...

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always figured it was just to show the world(s) was bigger than just the main 8(12). Sure, the main kids are still the ones stopping the world from being destroyed, and Koshiro being a super genius gives them the easiest access to the digital world, but they're still a small group of kids. The digital world is a big, crazy place, it's not hard to guess that you'd still have anomalies where digimon pop out into the real world from all over the place, and they aren't all going to end up in Tokyo. So naturally, to deal with these occasional breeches, you'd need kids all over the Earth.All headcanon of course, but it's what I go with.
This probably makes the most sense. Assuming the Digital World is the same size of the earth there’s only so much ground the Japanese team could have covered. Though the international kids would have to rely on random portals opening unlike the 2002 Japanese team that had free access.I suppose the kids also would of had adventures in the parts of the digital world the Kaiser hadn’t conquered with his dark towers.

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought it was neat to have them. However did they too have crests, and if so were they the same crests as the main 8 or are the crests unique to the main 8? I see there's a purpose for other humans to have Digimon partners, but I've always wondered about the crests.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought it was neat to have them. However did they too have crests, and if so were they the same crests as the main 8 or are the crests unique to the main 8? I see there's a purpose for other humans to have Digimon partners, but I've always wondered about the crests.
Nothing really indicated that they did. Most of the kids seemed to have Digimon who couldn’t evolve past Adult aside from the odd kid who got a Perfect level Digimon as a partner (I believe Jureimon and Hangyomon were among the international partner Digimon?) .Besides why force the A team to give up their crest power if kids all over the world had them?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't believe there was a partner Jyureimon. The one they fought in New York was a wild Digimon. The Hangyomon may or may not have been a partner; it's hard to determine from its brief appearance.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would assume that they were mainly supposed to act as support wherever Digimon appeared in the Real World that the Japanese kids couldn't get to in time. They obviously weren't meant to be very powerful or we wouldn't have seen a majority of them going up to the Adult stage tops. Wallace with his Digimental of Fate was probably the strongest of all of them and he doesn't even feature in the series!

From a marketing standpoint, the reason they exist is obvious enough. But in-universe it was meant to illustrate that there was a growing number of kids around the world who also had been Chosen. I think the Homeostasis was opening up to the idea of having more children around the world partnered with Digimon so that humankind could reach the level of understanding we see in the epilogue where everyone in the world has a partner.

And in time if they grew strong enough perhaps they wouldn't have to always rely on the Japanese team to save the day.

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get the marketing stand point: Any kid can be a chosen child and have a digimon partner. Look at all these Digimon! But from a story stand point?
This includes the Adventure kids just as much. Their main character status doesn't have any bearing on their in-universe status relative to the other Digidestined.

The homeostasis selected those 8 kids out of a bunch of kids who witnessed Greymon fight Parrotmon at Hikarigoaka to fight against the darkness that created The Dark Masters.
There were only those eight kids there. Homeostasis's "recruit everybody and their mother" approach has never changed.

the kids around the globe? They uh kind of helped out but not really when Digimon started coming to earth but not really.
They helped as far as able. The Cherrymon fight, for one. Defeating MaloMyotismon was even a collective effort.

They obviously weren’t going to do much in the Digital World when evolution is blocked
You'd probably be surprised how much a few dozen extra bodies to throw at a problem can change.

I can’t think what makes them “Chosen” and not randomly selected to have a virtual pet monster in the flesh after winning the Digital Lottery
The problem is that you're headcanoning a distinction.

"Have a Digimon, save both worlds" is the full of the job description. It's what everyone does - the main twelve" just go about it with more raw power than most.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There were only those eight kids there. Homeostasis's "recruit everybody and their mother" approach has never changed.
Except that’s not true. Watch the movie again. Several kids beyond the main eight in Hikarigaoka saw Parrotmon and Greymon fight. It’s in the movie.

Hell Hikari wasn’t even planned on being a chosen child despite having a front row seat.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except that’s not true. Watch the movie again. Several kids beyond the main eight in Hikarigaoka saw Parrotmon and Greymon fight. It’s in the movie.

Hell Hikari wasn’t even planned on being a chosen child despite having a front row seat.
Yeah I think the Homeostasis' approach actually changed over time. The original 8 were chosen out of a number of kids who witnessed Greymon fight Parrotmon due to their latent qualities that could be used to power Super Evolution, while later generations didn't seem to need this and had a lower barrier to entry to becoming Chosen.

This of course meant more partners who might not be able to evolve beyond Adult, but this probably at least helped to increase awareness of Digimon and reduce the burden on the Japanese kids. The only requirement seemed to be that they were just inherently good people who would want to help those in need. It was a first step on the path to everyone eventually being partnered too in the epilogue, though the ethical/moral question that this brings up is probably more suited to another thread...

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Isn’t it because they all witnessed a Digimon battle in their countries similar to how the first and second generation of Digidestined in Japan did? It would make sense that there were Chosen Children selected to protect their own home countries that were being invaded by Digimon, probably in 1999 when the sky opened up because of the Dark Masters.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get the marketing stand point: Any kid can be a chosen child and have a digimon partner. Look at all these Digimon! But from a story stand point?
Worldbuilding; the writers use them to establish that the affairs of the Digital World are larger than what we've seen.

The Adventure cast's activity is limited mostly to the Server Continent and File Island, and there are other places for trouble to go down.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Worldbuilding; the writers use them to establish that the affairs of the Digital World are larger than what we've seen.

The Adventure cast's activity is limited mostly to the Server Continent and File Island, and there are other places for trouble to go down.
This reminds me - don't other parts of the Earth correlate with different parts of the Digital World? I see to recall that the Chosen were able to meet with Michael and Mimi by going to the Digital World, but had to travel to a different part of Server (IIRC) to get there?

Kinda makes you wonder what other places exist that we don't know about in that continuity, like Folder or WWW Continent for example.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This reminds me - don't other parts of the Earth correlate with different parts of the Digital World? I see to recall that the Chosen were able to meet with Michael and Mimi by going to the Digital World, but had to travel to a different part of Server (IIRC) to get there?

Kinda makes you wonder what other places exist that we don't know about in that continuity, like Folder or WWW Continent for example.
Yep. The Chosen have used travel through the Digital World to get around pesky things like airplanes and expenses, though Imperialdramon provided quick international travel in the real world as well.

The Digimon Wiki has a breakdown on the Digital World of Adventure available.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nope, no different server was ever mentioned. In fact the Zero Two chosen weren't even really expecting Mimi and Micheal at the restaurant, they just happened to be in the area meaning it was not specifically associated with america or anything, it just seems to be somewhat rare for the gate from there to naturally open.
Nor was for that matter the Digimon Kaiser plot ever specified to be just about a fragment of the world, it was always about the whole thing.
In Episode 4 the Kaiser predicted that at his current pace he would take over the entirety of the world in less than a year. And sure, villainous hubris and all that but Ken was a genius at that point so at the very least we should be able to trust his general geography knowledge and data about his past progress.

...Which is completely wrong and inaccurate given that there's no indication that 80% of what they are claiming to take place in the same world actually do (A bunch of worlds share the concept of there being a file Island and Net ocean but that doesn't make it the same), and most of which is directly deconfirmed in the Anime itself, as we have seen the shape of the Landmasses in Adventure and they do not add up with the world maps of all those other continuities. They seem to be in the process of cleaning things up and making things slightly less misleading by reorganizing things into a general "Digital World" page that might not lay claim to be directly associated with Adventure in all respects.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They treat "Adventure" as the "default" Digital World, which I agree is really dumb. So like if the reference book mentions something new in the DW its "counted as part of adventure's DW". it only gets moves to its own section if it ends up in something that we know isnt part of adventures world, such as when chronicle included the kernel as part of the story, etc.

so yes, it's REALLY dumb. just treat that article as the "default reference book" world.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Which is completely wrong and inaccurate given that there's no indication that 80% of what they are claiming to take place in the same world actually do (A bunch of worlds share the concept of there being a file Island and Net ocean but that doesn't make it the same), and most of which is directly deconfirmed in the Anime itself, as we have seen the shape of the Landmasses in Adventure and they do not add up with the world maps of all those other continuities.
As you say. (I thought it was weird that so many franchises shared the same Digital World, but didn't think it worth mentioning).

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is the wikia/fandom version so it might not be a researched as say Wikimon or the TF Wiki. That's sort of the thing.