What don't you like in Fusion?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also let the early dubs off the hook because at the time, VERY FEW anime dubs were accurate. Now we have many great dubs like One Piece, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Naruto, Elfen Lied, Bleach, etc.
Yet, Digimon cannot compare to those faithfully-dubbed anime because of a difference on target demographic. Digimon is, has been, and always will be aimed at a younger little kid audience with an aim to also advertise merchandise for the kids to buy. Whereas One Piece, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, etc. are for much older audiences of big kids and don't have toys that need to be promoted and sold as well. Digimon is a toyetic children's anime, which puts it into the category of series that don't usually get accurate dubs like the non-toyetic anime for bigger kids.

In other words, Digimon is for children first, while Bleach/One Piece/Death Note/etc. are for anime enthusiasts first. Different demographics with different appeals and mindsets.

DaRedGuy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Erm, no, the first four series had about the same levels of censorship guidelines to adhere to as Fusion does since all four of them aired on broadcast television. Frontier even aired on the same network that later became the CW, UPN. All four of those and Fusion were bound by the BSnP and broadcast television. Data Squad is the only dub that wasn't because it was dubbed for cable only, which has less stricter levels of BSnP (even if it had the most visual edits made to it, but that was also because Savers was the most violent and most fanservice-ridden series).

But the point I was trying to get at was that the sheer amount of tiny script changes that were made in Fusion are no worse than the same tiny script changes that were just as abundant in the dubs of the first four series, with Data Squad being the only one that tried to keep its dub script faithful to that of Savers within reason.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons some people let the changes made in the first four series slide while not doing the same for the changes made in Fusion is due to nostalgia for the first four while seeing Xros Wars before Fusion this time around.
Really I've could of ... nah never mind, Guess I was wrong. I still don't how tamers got away with alot....

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also let the early dubs off the hook because at the time, VERY FEW anime dubs were accurate. Now we have many great dubs like One Piece, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Naruto, Elfen Lied, Bleach, etc.
Yet, Digimon cannot compare to those faithfully-dubbed anime because of a difference on target demographic. Digimon is, has been, and always will be aimed at a younger little kid audience with an aim to also advertise merchandise for the kids to buy. Whereas One Piece, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, etc. are for much older audiences of big kids and don't have toys that need to be promoted and sold as well. Digimon is a toyetic children's anime, which puts it into the category of series that don't usually get accurate dubs like the non-toyetic anime for bigger kids.

In other words, Digimon is for children first, while Bleach/One Piece/Death Note/etc. are for anime enthusiasts first. Different demographics with different appeals and mindsets.
Well, maybe they could do the uncut Xros Wars as a direct-market deal, and not normally televised.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, maybe they could do the uncut Xros Wars as a direct-market deal, and not normally televised.
Saban didn't make a separate uncut dub for it. Fusion is all they did.

Which is typical since no American-made Digimon English dub has ever been dubbed uncut.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Given that XW is meant to be dubbed to make money, wouldn't translating the original music and selling albums of it make them richer than just making a lame new theme song? Or keeping the provocative designs of certain Digimon so the Jintrix card art can be sold as pin-ups for the older set?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Apparently, it's cheaper for Saban to create their own soundtrack in-house rather than purchase the licenses to the Japanese soundtrack.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really can't bring myself to re-watch the old dubs of the first three seasons to be honest, as much as I loved the first air. I saw an episode of Adventure 01 on cable a few months back, and I couldn't take it. Sooooo awful! And mind you, had those words been said to the 9yr. old version of myself, there would have been a fight. :p
Somewhat agreed with you. At least we have the subbed versions on Netflix.

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really can't bring myself to re-watch the old dubs of the first three seasons to be honest, as much as I loved the first air. I saw an episode of Adventure 01 on cable a few months back, and I couldn't take it. Sooooo awful! And mind you, had those words been said to the 9yr. old version of myself, there would have been a fight. :p
Somewhat agreed with you. At least we have the subbed versions on Netflix.
I just started re-watching Digimon Tamers Subbed online, 13 episodes in and it's amazing. It was the first time too, but now it's better, on so many levels.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The saddest part about the trainwreck known as Fusion? It could have been Nickelodeon's savior, had it been faithfully dubbed, but due to Saban's xenophobia, incompetence, and greed, is yet another blight upon the channel, and it's spawn Nicktoons.

And that is all I have to say about Fusion. Bye.

Last edited:

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The saddest part about the trainwreck known as Fusion? It could have been Nickelodeon's savior, had it been faithfully dubbed, but due to Saban's xenophobia, incompetence, and greed, is yet another blight upon the channel, and it's spawn Nicktoons.
We all get you don't like the show, but sometimes you go too far.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with Vande. Not just because she's a mod but I did want to say something like that. It is a bit much.

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just try to pretend the series doesn't exist. :)

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now that I've finished the first season, something I don't like is how inconsistent the dubbing is. In more ways than one.

One way is in regards to terminology.

• The Jatetsufūjin-maru is renamed as the "Sword of Storms" in episode 9, but then as the "Sword of Oblivion" in episode 18
  • "Meteor Impact" attack is renamed "Atomic Uppercut" in episode 17, "Proton Punch" in episodes 22 and 28, "Laser Impact Attack" in episode 29, and "Meteor Impact" also in episode 29.
  • "Chaos Flare" is renamed "Chaos Flare Cannon" in episode 16, and then as "Chaos Flare Canon" in episode 29.
  • "Kadan" is renamed as "Flaming Blast" in episode 12, and then as "Fire Shot" in episode 23.
  • "Giga Destroyer" is consistently renamed "Giga Blaster" in all its appearances except for when Christopher speaks its name in episode 21, in which he calls it by its original name of "Giga Destroyer".
  • "Burst Dash Stream" is renamed "Victory Blast" in episode 26, and "Victory Boomerang" in episode 29.
  • Both Tactimon's "Ichi-no-Tani" and Shoutmon X5's "Meteor Buster Attack" are renamed as "Earth Shaker"
  • "Kirisute Gomen" is renamed "Savage Sabre" in episode 23, and then as "Shogun Sword" in episode 24.
  • "Ni-no-Tachi" is renamed as both "Tectonic Tremor" and "Secondary Tactic" in episode 29.
  • Yukidarumon are captioned as "Yukidarumon" in episode 7, and then renamed and captioned as "Frigimon" in episode 8.
  • AncientVolcamon is captioned as "Volcanomon" in episode 7, and then renamed/captioned as "AncientVolcanomon" from episode 8 onward.
  • "Soul Crusher" is consistently renamed "Bellow Blaster" in all its appearance except for in episode 3, in which it is called "Sonic Tsunami" (the dub name given to Shoutmon X2's "Body Blaster").

Another way is in regards to the inconsistent adherence to/deviance from the Japanese script. In the final few episodes, there are some certain lines of dialogue that are not only accurate to the Japanese version, but dead-on accurate, such as Tactimon's first speech to the Fusion Fighters in episode 29, or the "Hottekenai" bits in the same episode. Yet, at the same time, there are lines of dialogue that are so far off from the original script that the differences are startling, like Grademon's final moment of sacrifice having a completely different context and tone in the dub (I get that maybe they wanted to soften the darkness of that emotional moment, yet Reapmon's sacrifice in episode 14 got to be as emotional in the dub as it was in the original).

And there's the way in regards to spelling and capitalization inconsistencies, such as episode 29 captioning AncientVolcamon as both "AncientVolcanomon" and "Ancientvolcanomon" within the same scene.

Last edited:

Quark

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But the point I was trying to get at was that the sheer amount of tiny script changes that were made in Fusion are no worse than the same tiny script changes that were just as abundant in the dubs of the first four series, with Data Squad being the only one that tried to keep its dub script faithful to that of Savers within reason.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons some people let the changes made in the first four series slide while not doing the same for the changes made in Fusion is due to nostalgia for the first four while seeing Xros Wars before Fusion this time around.
I have no doubt i'm in the minority here, but I don't feel the need to let anything 'slide'. The Digimon dubs are adaptations, not translations. They have writers. Saban has been in the business of re-packaging foreign entertainment for a western audience since the 80's. Whether or not anyone enjoy's the dub is certainly up for debate, but it seems unfair to criticize the editing and script changing for something never intended to match the original.

Funny enough, I think the dub was the only thing I could find of interest in Fusion. Even though my feelings towards the dub were usually confusion or anger, atleast it was something to react to. The content of the series itself is so painfully dull. Around the episode where they go into Beelzemon's backstory, I saved myself the trouble of watching any more and skipped ahead by looking up the clip of the big multi-verse team up.

BlueLatios97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I have no doubt i'm in the minority here, but I don't feel the need to let anything 'slide'. The Digimon dubs are adaptations, not translations. They have writers. Saban has been in the business of re-packaging foreign entertainment for a western audience since the 80's. Whether or not anyone enjoy's the dub is certainly up for debate, but it seems unfair to criticize the editing and script changing for something never intended to match the original.

Funny enough, I think the dub was the only thing I could find of interest in Fusion. Even though my feelings towards the dub were usually confusion or anger, atleast it was something to react to. The content of the series itself is so painfully dull. Around the episode where they go into Beelzemon's backstory, I saved myself the trouble of watching any more and skipped ahead by looking up the clip of the big multi-verse team up.
Still, I don't like how Xros Wars ended up being kiddy-fied, I was really hoping it would be a serious dub, like what they did with Savers

1SSY

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It amazes me that Fusion and Adventure 01 were both marketed to the same age group. Adventure deals with some pretty serious things that kids will experience in their daily lives and helps teach some moral lessons. Fusion just seems so much more shallow. I'm not a huge fan of getting rid of levels, either, but could have dealt with it if the content of the show had a purpose other than "wow, another explosion...wow, mikey can pass a basketball while doing a 1900 degree spin and jumping 15 feet into the air, what a team player!"

Ishkur

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had a hard time getting over them removing levels to begin with, but I got over that pretty fast. There's also a few lines in the English version that seemed a little to silly for me, but other than that - I'm really enjoying Fusion so far.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now that the second season of Fusion is over, here's some more inconsistent dub terminology:

• The Bagra Army is called the "Bagra Empire" at least once in episodes 31, 42, 46, and 52, and the "Bagra Army" in all other times
  • The Bagra Daimaden is called the "Dark Fortress" in episode 31, the "Bagra Fortress" in episodes 31, 49, and 50, "Lord Bagra's Castle" in episode 40, the "Dark Nest" in episode 45, the "Bagra Dark Nest" in episode 45, the "Fortress Pandemonia" in episode 50, and the "Fortress of Lord Bagra" in episode 52.
  • "Dorbickmon the Fire Fury" is kept for all instances except one in episode 35 that called him "Dorbickmon the Dragon"
  • "Beat Slash" is renamed "Doom Drillpress" in episodes 30 (season 1), 40, and 52, and "Whirlwind Tunnel" in episodes 31 and 43
  • "Xros Open" is renamed "Disengage Fuse" in episodes 19 (season 1), 37 and 47, "Digi-Diffuse" in episodes 31, 42, and 54, "De-Fuse" in episodes 37 and 45, and "Disengage Fusion" in episode 47
  • "Heavy Metal Vulcan" is renamed "Flame Cannon" in episode 31, and kept as "Heavy Metal Vulcan" in episode 52
  • Guardromon's "Destruction Grenade" is renamed "Hail of Destruction" in episode 21 (season 1), and "Destruction Tracker" in episode 31 (neither of which are a match for any of the attack's dub names in previous Digimon series dubs, btw)
  • "Final Strikes" is renamed "Final Trident Strike" in episode 32, "Daggerstrike" in episodes 39 and 43, and "Final Strike Zone" in episode 48
  • "Giga Destroyer" is consistently renamed "Giga Blaster" in all its appearances except for an instance in episode 33 where Christopher refers to it as "Giga Destroyer"
  • "NeoVamdemon the Moon" is consistently renamed "Neomyotismon the Moonlight General", except for one instance episode 33 where it is "Neomyotismon the Moonlight King", and an instance in episode 35 where it is "Neomyotismon the Vampire"
  • "Giga Gardiac Raid" is renamed "Giga-Neutron Blast" in episode 33, and "Giga Gardiac Raid!" in episode 34
  • "Deckerdrauncher" is renamed "Crocodile Cannons" in episode 19 (season 1), "Double Decker Darts" in episode 21 (season 1), "Decker Launcher" in episode 34, and is unnamed in episode 42
  • "Random Laser" is consistently renamed "Lightning Lasers" except for one use in episode 34 that renamed it "Lighting Laser" (singular instead of plural)
  • "Drill Buster" is consistently renamed "Drill Bit Blitz" except for one use in episode 34 that renamed it "Drill Tornado" (the dub name of "Dorulu Tornado")
  • "Trident JusFang" is renamed "Double DX Blade!" in episode 34, and "Double DX Blade" in episode 45
  • "Kyōsei DigiXros" is renamed "Dark Digi-Fuse" in episode 21 (season 1), and "Forced Digi-Fusion" in episode 35
  • The DigiXros command given with the use of a Darkness Loader, be it just "DigiXros!" or "Darkness Loader! DigiXros!", is alternatively referred to as "Digi-Fuse!", "Digi-Fusion!", "Forced Digi-Fuse!", "Forced Digi-Fusion!", "Darkness Loader! Digi-Fuse!", "Darkness Loader! Digi-Fusion!", "Darkness Loader! Forced Digi-Fuse!", or episode 47's gem of "Forced Digi-Fusion plus Absorption Fusion!"
  • Zamielmon is, more often than not, referred to as "Lord Zamielmon" in episodes 35 and 36 (even being captioned as such in those episodes), while as just "Zamielmon" in other episodes
  • "Digi Ninpou Bujin Henge" is renamed "Warrior Transformation" in episode 26 (season 1), and "Damemon Warrior Transformation" in episode 37
  • "Yokunaol" is renamed "Feel my healing glow!" in episode 28 (season 1), "Super-Charged Healing Glow" in episode 39, and is unnamed in episode 43
  • Gold Land is renamed "Golden Land" in the next-episode preview at the end of episode 39, the "Ocean of Gold" in episode 40, and "Gold Land" in episode 41 onward
  • "Gappo Gappo Viva Olegna!" is given, like, a million different phrases in the dub!
  • The Village of Smiles is renamed the "Village of Light" in season 1, and the "Village of Smiles" in episode 40
  • Cyberdramon's "Cyber Blader" is renamed "Spinning Stingers" in episode 21 (season 1) and 43, and "Cyber Blade" in episode 40
  • "Glutton Fang" is renamed "Fang Crusher" in episode 40, and "Body Spikes" in episode 43
  • "Dual Tomahawk Boomerang" is renamed "Twin Broadsword Boomerang" in episodes 40 and 51, and "Blade Blitzer" in episode 41
  • Viking Vuffet is renamed "Broadsword Fireblast" in episode 40, and "Two-Fister Scuttle-Buster" in episode 41
  • "Heavy Speaker", "Cat Speaker", and "Ultimate Speaker" are all three renamed "Seismic Speaker" in the dub, except for DarkVolumon's use of "Ultimate Speaker", whose version of the attack is instead renamed "Doomsday Woofer"
  • Both "Heartbreak Shot" and "Spicy Hard Love" (in the one instance where the latter was not cut out, that is) are called "Heartbreak Shot" in the dub
  • "Omega the Fusion" is renamed "Omni Core Fusion" in episode 43, and "Omni Torpedo" in episode 48
  • "Seven Victorize" is renamed "Seven Victories in episodes 43 and 51, "Final Victory Blade" in episodes 49 and 53, "V For Victory" (the dub name of "Three Victorize") in episode 52
  • Further confusion comes with "Seven Victorize Maximum" being renamed "Seven Victories" in episode 49
  • "Xros Burning Rocker" is renamed "Fusion Flamethrower" in episodes 44, 50, 52, and 53, "Fusion Burning Rocker" in episode 47, "Ballistic Fireball" in episode 48
  • What's more is that episode 44 had an instance of X7 just whacking Gravimon with his mic that the dub gave a name and attack caption of "Fusion Burning Rocker" too.
  • Hell's Field is renamed both "the Underworld" and "the Digital Underworld"
  • Team Twilight is renamed "Team Midnight" in the dub except for in episode 46 where it is called "Team Twilight"
  • "Gate Open" is kept in the dub except for in episode 49 where it is called "Land Transfer"
  • Prison Land is called by its name no more than maybe three times total, with it more commonly being referred to as just "the holding cell"
  • The DigiMemories are most commonly renamed as "Digicards" throughout the two seasons, but are also inconsistently called "Digi Memory Cards" and "DigiMemories" every now and then

Last edited:

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, to be fair, though, a lot of other seasons were inconsistent in dubbing attacks. But, yeah, the number of inconsistencies is just a tad cringe worthy. On the other hand, I have no real issue with a lot of the non-attack inconsistencies as long as they're synonymous. Of course, I do tend to be a bit loose in my scientific terminology as I see no need for a single word to be considered "official" when there are numerous appropriate synonyms.

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be honest (and this may sound close-minded) but I didn't really even give Fusion a chance.
I saw that they butchered the spellings of both SlashAngemon and Agumon and that told me all I needed to know haha.