What don't you like in Fusion?

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just don't like the DigiXross concept. :p I'm oldschool, it took me forever to come to terms with Frontier's lack of partner Mons, then they bring them back but add this bizarre mechanic to the works, while redesigning Greymon completely. :( I miss the Digital World presented in Tamers.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, but she is not a fighter, she's just a princess with a fancy castle in Xros Wars, and she's a lazy one even. Besides, digimon has always been more about looks than about having practical armor.

As for criticism, I just found that Fusion (and Power Rangers Megaforce) were funny enough airing in Cartoon Network rather than airing in Nickelodeon here in Latin America. To my horror, they used Fusion rather than Xros Wars as the base (We got the first four seasons mostly unedited other than dub names and missing the second opening/ending when aplicable). I think criticism towards that dub also counts towards the dubs you guys got and I have the same criticism about the HORRIBLE and POINTLESS censorship, and the changed dialogue. It went as far as Island Zone the last time I watched it, and I dunno if I can stomach seeing more of it.
Since she's apparently in love with Taiki, maybe Bagra hears of this and tries to attack her as they think she's dear to Taiki and her death may result in him giving up. That's what the shirt of mail is for. It also makes a bit more sense 'cuz she doesn't seduce anyone.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since she's apparently in love with Taiki, maybe Bagra hears of this and tries to attack her as they think she's dear to Taiki and her death may result in him giving up. That's what the shirt of mail is for.
I guarantee you the actual rationale was, "Oh no, boobs."

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least 4kids entertainment didn't dub it, then rice balls would be turned into cookies, cigarettes into lollypop sticks, and everything else would've went to hell.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least 4kids entertainment didn't dub it, then rice balls would be turned into cookies, cigarettes into lollypop sticks, and everything else would've went to hell.
Too late. Saban already dubbed Taiki's wanting a rice bowl with pork into Mikey's wanting a cheeseburger in episode 15.

Though this was done only in his dialogue with no visual edits, it's still the same kind of food Americanization you speak of.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too late. Saban already dubbed Taiki's wanting a rice bowl with pork into Mikey's wanting a cheeseburger in episode 15.

Though this was done only in his dialogue with no visual edits, it's still the same kind of food Americanization you speak of.
Okay. I'm done defending The Dub Which Must Not Be Named. One last nice thing: I now consider Laylamon and Lilltihmon seperate species thanks to both the dub and Super Digica Taisen/Super Xros Wars.

Also, I think Power Rangers Samurai was only popular because of the euphoria over Saban having Power Rangers again. Saban haven't even gone back to reclaim stuff like Eek! the Cat from Disney.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In Super Xros Wars, there actually are two different species of Lilithmon, the original being called Lilithmon L and the other is based on the Xros Wars Lilithmon.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
there's really not much appreciable difference though, beyond art style.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, in the game they had different attacks and traits. From the guide I translated:

Lilithmon L
Attacks:
- Shadow Punch
- Lovely Impact
- Darkness Love
- Phantom Pain L
Traits:
- Paralysis Weakness
- Curse Repellant
- Confusion Master
- Poison Spell
- Mental Eater
- Poison Jail
Lilithmon (Xros Wars)
Attacks:
- Giga Shadow Resolve
- Giga Heal Light
- Phantom Pain
- Nazar Nail
Traits:
- Confusion Weakness
- Curse Repellant
- MP Drain Spell
- Mental Eater
- Sea of Poison
- Poison Jail
Unfortunately the guide doesn't give specific stats, so I'm not sure which one (if either) is stronger than the other.

Outside of a game, though, there's really no reason to consider them separate species.

DaRedGuy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wasn't Laylamon Lilithmon's name in Digimon Masters? Did the name Laylamon appear in the game first or was it fusion?

Okay. I'm done defending The Dub Which Must Not Be Named.
LADIES AND GENTLEMONS OF WTW FORUMS WE'VE REACHED THE HIGHEST POINT OF BITCHING ABOUT THE SMALLEST THINGS ABOUT THE DUB!
Miru you get a fabulous prize of

NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY!
Seriously though your getting angry over a line that changed rice to hamburgers. They change the characters names bad! THEY CHANGED A LINE ABOUT RICE TO HAMBURGERS!! WORST DUB EVAR!!!!!!!!!
Man you must've been pissed when they changed Cherio
to crystal Pepsi in FLCL. Also Burgers are kind of a big deal in Japan, In fact MCDONALDS SPONSORED THIS BLOODY SHOW IN JAPAN!

Also, I think PRS was only popular because of the euphoria over Saban having Power Rangers again. Saban haven't even gone back to reclaim stuff like Eek the Cat from Disney.
M'lady I tip my my fedora. Why would they want Eek the Cat? Haim Saban wanted power rangers because he was attached to series and wanted it because Disney didn't care for it and wanted end it after RPM. Now his company is coproducing a movie. Do you expect a Eek the cat movie from saban?

Last edited:

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wasn't Laylamon Lilithmon's name in Digimon Masters? Did the name Laylamon appear in the game first or was it fusion?

Okay. I'm done defending The Dub Which Must Not Be Named.
LADIES AND GENTLEMONS OF WTW FORUMS WE'VE REACHED THE HIGHEST POINT OF BITCHING ABOUT THE SMALLEST THINGS ABOUT THE DUB!
Miru you get a fabulous prize of

NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY!
Seriously though your getting angry over a line that changed rice to hamburgers. They change the characters names bad! THEY CHANGED A LINE ABOUT RICE TO HAMBURGERS!! WORST DUB EVAR!!!!!!!!!
Man you must've been pissed when they changed Cherio
to crystal Pepsi in FLCL. Also Burgers are kind of a big deal in Japan, In fact MCDONALDS SPONSORED THIS BLOODY SHOW IN JAPAN!
No, not really. At least FLCL kept the rest of the show faithful to Japanese. DXW-I mean Digimon Spewsion, has far more severe changes, and even the original's pretty flawed.

Also, I think PRS was only popular because of the euphoria over Saban having Power Rangers again. Saban haven't even gone back to reclaim stuff like Eek the Cat from Disney.
M'lady I tip my my fedora. Why would they want Eek the Cat? Haim Saban wanted power rangers because he was attached to series and wanted it because Disney didn't care for it and wanted end it after RPM. Now his company is coproducing a movie. Do you expect a Eek the cat movie from saban?
No, just because Disney completely sit on Eek the Cat and do nothing with him. What would you want him to do, slip into the public domain?

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Red Guy, I'm going to have to ask you to dial it back, even if miru's complaints do seem minor.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not as though Fusion is the only Digimon dub guilty of these kinds of minor-yet-abundant changes. Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 of Digimon: Digital Monsters all had about just as many of these tiny-yet-vast changes. Digimon Data Squad is the only English dub of Digimon that dialed back on the small-yet-many script changes to keep the script mostly as accurate to the Japanese version as possible.

DaRedGuy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
DXW-I mean Digimon Spewsion
Ow the edge!
No, just because Disney completely sit on Eek the Cat and do nothing with him. What would you want him to do, slip into the public domain?
I knew basically nothing about eek until recently and doing some research tells me that Haim Saban and Saban Entertainment had nothing to do with it, Probably the reason why saban has no reason to get eek. But Mr Saban was one of the heads at Fox Kids I believe around that time.
Haim Saban started Saban Brands because he wanted the popular shows that he produced at Saban Entertament like power rangers which was the hit that got him a top job at Fox Family and it was basically dead and cheap when he got it. Maybe you should ask Savage Steve Holland and Bill Kopp to get the rights to it.
It's not as though Fusion is the only Digimon dub guilty of these kinds of minor-yet-abundant changes. Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 of Digimon: Digital Monsters all had about just as many of these tiny-yet-vast changes. Digimon Data Squad is the only English dub of Digimon that dialed back on the small-yet-many script changes to keep the script mostly as accurate to the Japanese version as possible.
Fusion has it tough cause it has to content with stricter censorship guidelines compared to the previous shows, yes even Data Squad Which sucks.

Last edited:

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just saying, Xross Wars is horrible to begin with, imo, the fusion dub is just a bad joke.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even in Japanese DXW was pretty mediocre, when given the English alterations...

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fusion has it tough cause it has to content with stricter censorship guidelines compared to the previous shows, yes even Data Squad Which sucks.
Erm, no, the first four series had about the same levels of censorship guidelines to adhere to as Fusion does since all four of them aired on broadcast television. Frontier even aired on the same network that later became the CW, UPN. All four of those and Fusion were bound by the BSnP and broadcast television. Data Squad is the only dub that wasn't because it was dubbed for cable only, which has less stricter levels of BSnP (even if it had the most visual edits made to it, but that was also because Savers was the most violent and most fanservice-ridden series).

But the point I was trying to get at was that the sheer amount of tiny script changes that were made in Fusion are no worse than the same tiny script changes that were just as abundant in the dubs of the first four series, with Data Squad being the only one that tried to keep its dub script faithful to that of Savers within reason.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons some people let the changes made in the first four series slide while not doing the same for the changes made in Fusion is due to nostalgia for the first four while seeing Xros Wars before Fusion this time around.

Last edited:

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Erm, no, the first four series had about the same levels of censorship guidelines to adhere to as Fusion does since all four of them aired on broadcast television. Frontier even aired on the same network that later became the CW, UPN. All four of those and Fusion were bound by the BSnP and broadcast television. Data Squad is the only dub that wasn't because it was dubbed for cable only, which has less stricter levels of BSnP (even if it had the most visual edits made to it, but that was also because Savers was the most violent and most fanservice-ridden series).

But the point I was trying to get at was that the sheer amount of tiny script changes that were made in Fusion are no worse than the same tiny script changes that were just as abundant in the dubs of the first four series, with Data Squad being the only one that tried to keep its dub script faithful to that of Savers within reason.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons some people let the changes made in the first four series slide while not doing the same for the changes made in Fusion is due to nostalgia for the first four while seeing Xros Wars before Fusion this time around.
Hmm...

The change from sake to taco sauce in Adventure made sense. Sake is fairly unknown to western kids, plus it's alcoholic, which would mean it would make no sense for PicoDevimon, a CHILD-level Digimon, to consume sake. Xros Wars? Lots of kids have had rice bowls at place like Jack-In-The-Box. I know it's a nitpick, but the how has bigger fish to fry, some of which already existed in Japanese, like the treatment of Nene.

I also let the early dubs off the hook because at the time, VERY FEW anime dubs were accurate. Now we have many great dubs like One Piece, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Naruto, Elfen Lied, Bleach, etc.

Last edited:

Ras Yahni

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really can't bring myself to re-watch the old dubs of the first three seasons to be honest, as much as I loved the first air. I saw an episode of Adventure 01 on cable a few months back, and I couldn't take it. Sooooo awful! And mind you, had those words been said to the 9yr. old version of myself, there would have been a fight. :p