What do you hope for in the new Digimon Story game?

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, if you do dominion battles with Lillymon, Leomon, Beelzemon or Renamon you get friendship boosts with them and Lillymon is outright in love with you. They're not you're Digimon sure but you do get to control them in said battles and become closer friends with them (atlhough in the canon, Beelzemon is dead due to Aiba killing him). I think it's better this way simply because it would be a little to difficulty with your own dudes, outside of the anime or if they outright force you to only have one partner forever and it's one line. No alternatives. Maybe Erismon will be like this in ReArise, since he's your canon partner but when you have 341 Mons (Which could be around 500?) I don't think forcing one on you permo is a good idea. Like I said, keep that for your BFF in game

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Habu said on twitter that he wasn't against the idea of adding Appmon in the future. I don't think it would ruin the games consistency as it would have no impact on the story. Just a fun little addition. Hell, if they wanted to they could very well add a little appmon sidequest and poke fun at say, gatchmon not being a digimon.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They did banter with Shoutmon in NO where he complained that everyone was calling him a rookie and that he's a "Shoutmon level." He was still a Rookie tho.

PCN24454

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Masters had Riding Digimon. Why can’t we?

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, if you do dominion battles with Lillymon, Leomon, Beelzemon or Renamon you get friendship boosts with them and Lillymon is outright in love with you. They're not you're Digimon sure but you do get to control them in said battles and become closer friends with them (atlhough in the canon, Beelzemon is dead due to Aiba killing him). I think it's better this way simply because it would be a little to difficulty with your own dudes, outside of the anime or if they outright force you to only have one partner forever and it's one line. No alternatives. Maybe Erismon will be like this in ReArise, since he's your canon partner but when you have 341 Mons (Which could be around 500?) I don't think forcing one on you permo is a good idea. Like I said, keep that for your BFF in game
I know that, but it doesn't do anything with the whole game. Just giving some item bonuses and such. So the reward of increasing friendship with them is nothing beneficial. They are NPC digimon, if we get close to them, what's the differences when we're still not close? I didn't see such thing. So it's just a mere gimmick to give something a bit more in CS, it's nothing special at all.

I didn't say that you can only have 1 partner forever. As I said, you can have your own digimon companion aside of your partner. Since your partner is completely an original digimon, they won't evolve into an already existing digimon. This is better to distinguish which your partner digimon is and which your companion digimon are.

Habu said on twitter that he wasn't against the idea of adding Appmon in the future. I don't think it would ruin the games consistency as it would have no impact on the story. Just a fun little addition. Hell, if they wanted to they could very well add a little appmon sidequest and poke fun at say, gatchmon not being a digimon.
I didn't see he said that on twitter, but he didn't state that he wasn't against the idea of adding appmon in next digimon game, there could exist another appmon game, or probably a digimon x appmon crossover game, who knows?

They did banter with Shoutmon in NO where he complained that everyone was calling him a rookie and that he's a "Shoutmon level." He was still a Rookie tho.
I checked HM and N0 and there is no information about Shoutmon being Child/Rookie. Their level weren't written, so I think that they're still consistent enough for not giving Frontier digimon (except Susanoomon) and Xros Wars one a definitive level.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since it came up again...

My idea for a real "partner" digimon would essentially just have the starter digimon you choose be your one digimon with a personality. It would have a "special" or "leader" designation, making it unable to be removed from your party, sacrificed for a jogress, returned to data, used to power up another digimon, etc. You could still turn it into anything you want, so you don't have to be stuck with a digimon that you don't want to use.

As for lines and such, it could run checks by digimon species or personalities and use whatever lines are appropriate, hopefully done with care so that it all matches up, regardless of what digimon you happen to be using for a particular scene.

So yeah, the 1 starter/partner/leader digimon that gets to participate in dialogue and cutscenes, and then your 10 other digimon. Doesn't seem too complicated an idea to me.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, I'd forgotten about that. I suppose they could just make it so you can't leave the lab without your partner, then you could put your partner in the farm for using items or training the long way, though you'd have to just wait out the time, or do one of the lab dungeons/pvp. They could also always let you feed your digimon outside of the farm, I've always found it silly I can't just hand my digimon some food wherever.

There might be other issues I'm not thinking about right now, but I think it'd be worth just working through those so you could have your digimon just be more involved.

Dark Storm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe this is just me, but what ruins it for me is in games like World Next Order and Cybersleuth, where your allies surpass you, and when they help you in battle, they are either useless, or they beat your opponents without giving you the chance to do anything (I'm looking at you, Arata and Youji). When it really counts in boss battles, they aren't able to help you out much, so I'd rather they not be there at all to get my hopes up or anything. But they also can't be defeated, yet they take the brunt of the attacks, while they either attack or support you.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meh I'm fine with abusing the meat shields and getting the free heals

PCN24454

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe this is just me, but what ruins it for me is in games like World Next Order and Cybersleuth, where your allies surpass you, and when they help you in battle, they are either useless, or they beat your opponents without giving you the chance to do anything (I'm looking at you, Arata and Youji). When it really counts in boss battles, they aren't able to help you out much, so I'd rather they not be there at all to get my hopes up or anything. But they also can't be defeated, yet they take the brunt of the attacks, while they either attack or support you.
In Re:Digitize, they had an HP/MP bar so it could be easily remedied.

Dark Storm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meh I'm fine with abusing the meat shields and getting the free heals
Yeah, but they barely heal you. Meanwhile, they take an abusive attack and live while a couple of those attacks if directed at them will take down all your digimon all at once. :(
Every once in a while, they do come through tho

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
yeah I feel you, the NPC ally in CS and Ne0 seems like cheap one. They can't be defeated, had random and poor AI, and can be easily abused (for not good reason). Also it's quite barebone that NPC whether it's ally or enemy had infinite MP. It reminds me of Digimon World 2's infinite MP to enemies.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Next Order didn't have NPC helpers though

Dark Storm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, but they do surpass you very quickly tho. I've been out of the game for a year, and just got back on recently. Got to the part where the virus is corrupting your allies' digimon and you have to battle them. They are pretty easy to beat, considering some are higher level. I think at the time, I thought they assisted you a bit in battle, but maybe I was mistaken there. They just tend to stand around instead of helping you out :p

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe in the Japanese version? the English version there's never an instance in which a random Mon fights alongside your guys

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How about Monster Hunter version of Digimon? Replace the Hunters with the Tamers to direct the commands to their Digimon partners (AI cats) to battle against the wild ones.

And Super Robot Wars version of Digimon? So we can enjoy the epic animation of their attacks!

Dark Storm

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they've got a formula down for this, where they do that kind of thing for Digimon World games, and Digimon story remains RPG turn-based. They could always change things up a bit, but if they do what I think you're suggesting, that might make it a Digimon World game.

roarofmeow

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope for feeling lost in an open world with digimon, but I can only hope.