What do Digimon fans typically dislike/hate in a Digimon anime?

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My main problem is Digimon not getting as much character development as humans. Xros Wars tried to do that but massively botched it.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think about it now. Maybe Digimon partners never have any character developments but mostly existed for their human partners to develop more because they have "Neverland" personalities? Like, even learnt anything in the human world but barely changed and still remaining the same? Something like that?

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
* Female characters being relegated to nothing (Frontier) or not even existing (Xros Wars 2).
I stopped watching Frontier for this very reason...Izumi lost her first fight, got her powers stolen for a chunk of the time, finally got a good upgrade...and it became obsolete like 4 episodes later. Female characters are usually my favorite, I know these are 'boy' shows, but considering the first three seasons had pretty memorable female characters it's not really an excuse.

raharaha

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The way they depend on the nostalgia and please stop with everything <insert>greymon, <insert>garurumon, omegamon<insert>mode.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think about it now. Maybe Digimon partners never have any character developments but mostly existed for their human partners to develop more because they have "Neverland" personalities? Like, even learnt anything in the human world but barely changed and still remaining the same? Something like that?
Zeromaru had better development than Taichi in V-Tamer, and Tailmon had better development that Hikari in Adventure (not hard, and it stopped when she became a partner full-time, but still), so I don't buy this explanation.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's probably the case with examples like Adventure where it's clear most of the Digimon are meant to compliment or contrast their partners (only Gatomon is the exception), but as said before there are examples where Digimon have almost as much or more development then their human partners. Along with the aforementioned Zeromaru/Taichi and Gatomon/Tailmon, we also have examples like Rika/Renamon where the latter still got some decent development out of her original 'I fight to get stronger' mentality and Taiki/Shoutmon who the latter develops far more then the former does (not saying much since Taiki was almost completely static, but still). So it's not that Digimon can't develop or have their own motivations, it's just that the focus of certain series makes it easier to the human characters to get that over the Digimon.

Personally, I like it better when the Digimon do get their own motivations and development since it allows more of a give and take from the relationship between the partners. It also allows for more debate and growth between the two since having someone who's willing to butt heads with you at times does allow for you to see different perspectives and learn from them.