What do Digimon fans typically dislike/hate in a Digimon anime?

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After watching a video not too long ago mention a few things people dislike in a Super Sentai series, it got me thinking over the things Digimon fans don't like in an anime of the franchise.

Admittedly it's so that I can see how many cliches Young Hunters manages to include in the show, but it's to simply sate my curiosity otherwise. For example, I know that people usually don't like it when one or two main characters take up most of the screen time and/or receive more privileges/upgrades than the rest of the cast though (*cough*Frontier*cough*).

Maybe I'll ask a similar question about Digimon archetypes (pertaining to the Digimon themselves, mind you) in the near future.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally I don't like annoying characters. I don't like when characters are acting like village idiots because this doesn't add much (or anything at all) to the show, but rather makes the show less fun to watch.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Some things off the top of my head...

• Characters that don't add much - I'm looking at you Kazu & Kenta.
  • Main characters that get special treatment (such as Agumon and Gabumon being the only ones to reach Mega in 01.)
  • Plot points that appear but don't go anywhere.
  • Agumon/Greymon/Omegamon pandering.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess when they just kinda ignore the meta-franchise completely. One example would be evolution levels..... I mean, Xros Wars pretty much tossed out the old staple completely, only to make it important again halfway through the series (Frontier also seems guilty of completely ignoring levels to a degree). Also, it's actually kinda ridiculous how Adventure played up Devimon, Vamdemon, and to some extent the Dark Masters, to be these supreme, unstoppable forces despite really just being a rather average Digimon of their respective levels (and some get taken out by an angel, because angels OP...... except when they're not). I think someone brought it up in another thread recently, but this also brings to mind the ridiculous power scaling for villains in general (Tamers and Savers, along with X-Evolution, are arguably the only series that manage to avoid this pitfall).

Strontium

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Female characters who are weak and constantly need to be saved by the male characters. I remember when Eri was introduced in Appmon ep 5 and she needed Haru's help to defeat the Baddie of the Week. People here on the forum were worried that would be a running theme with her character. Luckily, she turned out to be a strong fighter and all the main boys were drinking that respect women juice.

Echoing points above, I find it somewhat unfair when only some Tamer's partners get to reach their final evolution levels. And I agree with "humor" characters that often detract from focusing on the main characters. I get that shows want to build in moments of levity and comedy, and that Digimon fans may have different ideas of what should and shouldn't be focused on in an anime story than the show's staff, but it is annoying to have characters that we know will not be that important in the climactic moments get extended screentime.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shipping. Ha! Kidding. ...That might only be with Adventure. ...I would like to see everyone get full evo chains so that could be something people don't like. Or let's just look at Frontier. See what in there people didn't like. ...I didn't like how there was only one girl but that's mostly because of one ep. Weird ep.

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess when they just kinda ignore the meta-franchise completely. One example would be evolution levels..... I mean, Xros Wars pretty much tossed out the old staple completely, only to make it important again halfway through the series (Frontier also seems guilty of completely ignoring levels to a degree). Also, it's actually kinda ridiculous how Adventure played up Devimon, Vamdemon, and to some extent the Dark Masters, to be these supreme, unstoppable forces despite really just being a rather average Digimon of their respective levels (and some get taken out by an angel, because angels OP...... except when they're not). I think someone brought it up in another thread recently, but this also brings to mind the ridiculous power scaling for villains in general (Tamers and Savers, along with X-Evolution, are arguably the only series that manage to avoid this pitfall).
Interesting that you mentioned the villains power levels because Devimon is actually a pretty strong Digimon for his level were as Vamdemon is actually among the weaker Ultimate Digimons(than again he had to be saved 3 times in Digimon world).

It is save to that even if Vamdemons bats would chew Devimon down to nothing he would not exactly go down without a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mainly uneven distribution of character focus for me.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A lot of what people already said:

* Ignoring levels entirely. I think levels are often overrated by fans but don't like Xros Wars and Frontier getting rid of them for a season.
* Female characters being relegated to nothing (Frontier) or not even existing (Xros Wars 2).
* Too much Goggle-focus. (Frontier again)
* Partner Digimon being under-developed (Adventure 01, Savers)
* Too much focus on the human world (CyberSleuth, Applimon)

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Levels Disrespected
Female characters being reduced to cheerleader roles even including other chosen children like for example, Frontier.
Much focus on Digimon Tamer/partner who owns Reptile/Dragon/Dinosaur and Wolf, too.
Digimon Evolving Transformations have shorter animation and so much less because they are not the main character/partners.
Lazy animation of digimon attacks like Meteor Wing of Birdramon's.... And not even flapping when flying.
Usually piling up more mysteries like Tri and Kizuna.
Shorter battles and more talks should be reversed....

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
* Ignoring levels entirely. I think levels are often overrated by fans but don't like Xros Wars and Frontier getting rid of them for a season.
* Female characters being relegated to nothing (Frontier) or not even existing (Xros Wars 2).
Did Frontier ever get rid of Levels completely? I'm just assuming that they merely never brought them up in any capacity.

Similar thing for females in Young Hunters; I just assumed that they're as under-developed as Ren.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did Frontier ever get rid of Levels completely? I'm just assuming that they merely never brought them up in any capacity.
I mean, we did see a few NPC evolutions take place, but for the most part, levels were kinda brushed aside in Frontier. Partially because Frontier had its main characters focus on an evolution system that seems to mostly work as its own thing, which kinda left the strength of the main characters a bit more ambiguous than it was in previous series. However, like Xros Wars, it also played very loosely with the Digimon who already had long-established levels. Thus, we end up with things like the very first opponent of the series being a Perfect, while a very late episode ends up playing up an Adult IceDevimon as being any sort of threat.

* Too much Goggle-focus. (Frontier again)
And just while I'm talking about Frontier, I really gotta agree with this one. Granted, almost every series has a focus on a goggle-wearing main (except Savers), but I feel as though Frontier might've been the most egregious about just sorta designating who its main is. Though, maybe it had more to do with matching his personality to the fire element (because EVERY main character, both inside of Digimon and out of it, just has to be fire-themed..... then again, Frontier also had a heavy Sentai influence, which itself designates Red as the leader).

And this might seem like a minor issue, but it especially bugged me how Susanoomon took on only Takuya's voice for the most part..... I mean, what? Did they not have the budget to attempt synched voices like 02's Jogress forms again? It's not like Susanoomon came into being because KOUJI'S brother sacrificed himself and KOUJI had to combine the powers of light and darkness..... oh wait!

EDIT:
You know, I'm now remembering that brief period towards the beginning of Frontier where Izumi had her Spirit stolen, and she went for quite a few episodes without it. Was there a reason why Takuya felt the need to grab Gigasmon's Spirit before grabbing Izumi's Fairymon Spirit? Maybe one could argue that he was crippling the enemy, but Grottomon/Gigasmon already didn't seem like a threat anymore after pretty much getting curbstomped by two Beast Spirits on the protagonists' side. I'm not usually one to cry foul of sexism, but this did seem like a pretty dick move on the writers' part.

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Useless characters or overbearing protagonists are annoying, sure, but those problems are by no means exclusive to Digimon.

I guess my main concerns are...

If the Anime is tooting it's horn about the equality of Digimon and humans it should also convincingly portray that equality from a narrative perspective and not be so hyper-focused on human characters.

Levels should be important for the setting, because they offer the audience something to hold onto, something to establish certain expectations. By no means should that mean that levels should be absolute, the distinct circumstances of a battle should by all means contain the possibility to eke out a victory against the odds, but that's the thing: It's valuable for the audience to know those odds and look forward to the (assuming an ideal world) clever tactics that would be neccessary for the underdog to win the conflict.

I also do get a bit annoyed about the anime being the chief source of overly linear evolution lines (recent Digimon Games also haven't been that much better about their debut Digimon though), so a bit more multipath action outside of the obligatory single corrupted evolution would be nice.

I guess when they just kinda ignore the meta-franchise completely [...] Also, it's actually kinda ridiculous how Adventure played up Devimon, Vamdemon, and to some extent the Dark Masters, to be these supreme, unstoppable forces despite really just being a rather average Digimon of their respective levels (and some get taken out by an angel, because angels OP...... except when they're not).
I think that assertion completely ignores historical context.
Back in late 1999 there were less than 20 Ultimates in total, and not much of a meta-franchise to speak of. The entire idea of an entire natural "layer" of the digital world's ecology consisting of Ultimates didn't make sense for Adventure, the Ultimate level was a miracle in itself, the Dark Masters could righteously called unstoppable forces simply because they were Ultimates.
And it's irrelevant how average they seem today, they were very reasonable choices back then when the alternatives were the likes of MarinAngemon, Pukumon and Griffomon.

The same goes for Vamdemon. Excluding Piemon he simply was one of the top Nightmare Soldiers Digimon around back then and very little was established about his power. And would it really logical to assume that a writer back then writing the part for a powerful king of the undead would care even one bit about a single tcg card that has, probably for some arcane game balance reasons, some slightly lower numbers on it? No way.
Those kinds of stats are pretty much never conclusively useful unless sampled and averaged over a longer span of time. No one reasonable would freak out about Survive, a Story Game, or a card not portraying some Digimon with the exactly "expected" stats because it's all a drop in a bucket and no single sample, even if it's the first one can be viewed as establishing some sort of 100% reliable precedent, especially not in unrelated continuities.

I mean, we did see a few NPC evolutions take place, but for the most part, levels were kinda brushed aside in Frontier. Partially because Frontier had its main characters focus on an evolution system that seems to mostly work as its own thing, which kinda left the strength of the main characters a bit more ambiguous than it was in previous series. However, like Xros Wars, it also played very loosely with the Digimon who already had long-established levels. Thus, we end up with things like the very first opponent of the series being a Perfect, while a very late episode ends up playing up an Adult IceDevimon as being any sort of threat.
But doesn't the "ambiguity" of the protagonists' power levels inherently negate most claims about inconsistent handling of other Digimon if 99% of their battles are against the protagonists?
It's like saying "I have a misconfigured scale at home and I'm pretty sure my cat's weight changed when I last weighed her on it".

Either way, if we assume that H-Hybrids are closer to Perfects in Power than Adults (that is also how they are statted in the card game, so there's your meta-franchise inclusion) there are very little level related inconsistencies.
You still have your villages of child level Digimon terrorized by Adult Digimon and not the other way around. That the group of Digimon standing up to the Royal Knights at Akiba market was headed by uUtimate Digimon that were shown to be far more resilient than their companions is surely no coincidence either.

And it's not like the story doesn't offer sensible explanations for exceptions.
IceDevimon was as powerful as he was because he absorbed the data of all the Digimon that Cherubimon experimented on when trying to find a host for the Spirit of Darkness. We've seen that data can be quite an upgrade, with Cherubimon even becoming semi-invulnerable after absorbig enbough, so IceDevimon powering up enough to hold his own against a bunch of Beast Spirits fits with that.
Agnimon defeating Cerberumon wasn't just about raw power but also introduced the elemental significance of the Spirits. Cerberumon attacked with fire. Agnimon literally embodies fire.
The SkullSatamon in Flame Terminal were a bit weird but Zero Two already established that species as an outlier in terms of power.

You know, I'm now remembering that brief period towards the beginning of Frontier where Izumi had her Spirit stolen, and she went for quite a few episodes without it. Was there a reason why Takuya felt the need to grab Gigasmon's Spirit before grabbing Izumi's Fairymon Spirit? Maybe one could argue that he was crippling the enemy, but Grottomon/Gigasmon already didn't seem like a threat anymore after pretty much getting curbstomped by two Beast Spirits on the protagonists' side. I'm not usually one to cry foul of sexism, but this did seem like a pretty dick move on the writers' part.
That decision didn't amount to much considering it happened at the end of episode 12 and Izumi got her Spirit back in episode 14. There wouldn't have been much to do for Fairimon in episode 13 since the only fight it featured was averyone being steamrolled by the three newly introduced evil warriors.
Takyua also didn't act illogically. He tried to get to grab izumi's Spirit, he just didn't expect Grottomon to recover as fast as he did. That he got Tomoki's Spirit first was also reasonable considering it was probably still on his mind that he nearly killed him earlier while rampaging as Vritramon.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stupid question but could he have grabbed with both hands or did he have one busy? I mean, was it possible or was this really just a dumb question.

Mon-Ohma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One thing that occasionally bothers me, and pretty much every series is guilty of it to an extent. Is that protagonist Digimon never really develop much of a relationship with any other human character beyond their chosen partner. Their existance pretty much revolves around them entirely. We've had brushes here and there, such as Mimi and Tentomon going off together, Rosa and Wormmon, and some interaction with the parents.
I'm guessing it's meant to be more like a form of symbiosis, but I'd sometimes like to see a more broader scope of socializing.

---

Overreliance on Adventure fanservice and nostalgia, Grey/Garuru/Omegamon expys.
Why do the leader's Digimon always have to be Reptiles?
I remember reading somewhere Impmon was initially considered as Takato's partner. Which in retrospect would have been highly refreshing.

---

Designated dark Chosen Children/Tamers acting like egotistical pricks, and treating their Digimon like dirt (Neo/Ken). Being brainwashed (Kouchi), or manipulated (Nene).
Can't we have one where the partners relationship is built on actual mutual respect for a change?

---

Digimon who are overhumanized to the point of being mistaken for humans, or used as glorified fanservice. Mervamon, Fairymon, BelleStarmon to name a few.
And that's not even getting into things like Shademon...

---

Protagonists who are boring and have no flaws. Or don't change and develop into better or more likable people.

Good: Mimi. Became maturer, less selfish, and more caring over the course of the show.
Bad: Masaru. Stayed the same irritating muscle-head throughout the show.

And then you have cases of wasted potential such as Nene. Who started off great, and went steadily downhill from there...

---

Digivices/Angels being used as a cheap DEM.

---

Villains who are annoying, one-dimensional, moustache twirling idiots, with zero charisma...Kurata...

---

When plots try too hard to be more clever and complex, but end up turning into a mess. Like with Tri.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Designated dark Chosen Children/Tamers acting like egotistical pricks, and treating their Digimon like dirt (Neo/Ken). Being brainwashed (Kouchi), or manipulated (Nene).
Can't we have one where the partners relationship is built on actual mutual respect for a change?
Since you mentioned Neo, there's Shou from Digimon Next. Not a character I like but he is both antagonistic and has respect for his partner. Now that I think about it, the Alias 3 in V-Tamer would all count too.

MedievalDukemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Villains who are annoying, one-dimensional, moustache twirling idiots, with zero charisma...Kurata...
Kurata had a motivation to act like he did it. Savers gives the audience a very good explanation why Kurata finds digital monsters(!) too dangerous and develops measures. Similar to Yamaki, unlike him Kurata loses his objection (perhabs because he is TOO frightend) and becomes a little insane and cruel and power hungry.

There are a few other villains with far less charisma or far more "evil of the season"(Miyotismon, Apocalymon, Masters of the Darkness). They are far more evil because of reasons.

Mon-Ohma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kurata had a motivation to act like he did it. Savers gives the audience a very good explanation why Kurata finds digital monsters(!) too dangerous and develops measures. Similar to Yamaki, unlike him Kurata loses his objection (perhabs because he is TOO frightend) and becomes a little insane and cruel and power hungry.

There are a few other villains with far less charisma or far more "evil of the season"(Miyotismon, Apocalymon, Masters of the Darkness). They are far more evil because of reasons.
I'll take a Digimon who is evil for the sake of being evil, over an incredibly annoying human who hates Digimon for the sake of hating them. Then gets delusions of grandeur and tries to take over the world by plastering his ugly mug on a Demon Lord's chest.

DigitalCorp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Things I hate:
* Characters with wasted potential (Adventure T.K. and Kari, 02 Yolei and Cody, Tamers Kazu and Kenta, Frontier anyone but Takuya and Koji, Savers the two girls with the PawnChessmon, Xros Wars Nene)
* Too much focus on the goggle-boy (especially bad with Frontier and Savers)
* Ryo was brought in at the last minute, and we didn't even get a decent Biomerge sequence for him. If a character is going to Biomerge, show us the Biomerge!
* Any time a moral is being shoved down our throats (especially bad in the first two seasons)
* Xros Wars. Was a little too much like Pokemon.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Similar thing for females in Young Hunters; I just assumed that they're as under-developed as Ren.
Airu was better then Ren since she actually had a notable role in a couple episodes whereas he could just be written out with little issue. However, none of the rivals were developed well so her being the best of them isn't a high praise.

Really though, the Frontier-Young Hunter stretch wasn't great for female characters. Izumi was probably the most infamous, but Yoshiro, Nene, Akari, and Airu all were underdeveloped/sidelined for other characters. Nene in particular was pretty bad since she started well unlike the others, but then Taiki came in and stole her entire reason for being in the Digital World as he was the one to ultimately convince Yuu to get off of his dark path.