What did you think of Applimonsters?

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, now that Applimonsters is over. What did you think of it? Did it meet your expectations or did it blow them away? Give reasons rather than just say 'yeah/no' etc.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was about to give up around halfway because there was too much fillers and no stakes. But the second half blew me away with almost perfect blend of shocking plot twists; character development and interaction and just enough amount of breather episodes to keep me totally focused which do not happen often with Digimon animes. In second half the stakes are raised and executed to such degree it reminded me of Tamers and Neon Genesis Evangelion. And then there are the God appmons which are just awesome to watch. In short I would definitely rewatch the series again especially the second half

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It did.
It has pacing issue on the first half yes but those filler-like episode is still enjoyable on their own as they are decently written.
Of course the real fun started once Satellamon come in and it goes up from there, Ultimate 4 was awesome, even if Beautymon was a disappointment, and then Yuujin reveal and shit got real even more.
The character aren't static, you can see how many of them grow, Haru who was scared of Gatchmon now readily jump into vat of acid to save his partner, jump off the skycrapper and free fall with a smile.
Eri, while get shafted on the most of the action, she is the one who are the most developed among the Applidriver, getting over her insequrities, her bond with Doka-chan and her development as an idol who can't even review food properly to professional gourmet.
Astra, while the less developed still show significant but subtle change as well, at first he look like the annoying one of the group but soon he was shown to be laid back, supportive and also a hard worker as well.
Rei entire character development could easily be summed in one sentence "Are you alone?" [YES] [NO]
I can safely say this is my number 1 among digimon anime.

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I absolutely love it, though I am not quite sure, whether it makes place 2 or 3 in my Digimon seasons top list (meaning whether it is above or beneath Savers in the ranking)
But I really, really enjoyed that season, way more then I thought it would.
The series really succeeded in term of having likeable characters and generally great character development.
Other then some I was not that much detered by the filler episodes, because apart from the "Doka-chan love" and the "New Years" episode I did not consider them that bad, as even at the very worst they were still funny and had nice action.

I really hope there will be a season 2 for Applimon. I really, really hope

My overall ranking so far is probably (as I said: I have to think hard about Applimon and Savers):

1. Tamers
2. Applimon/Savers
3. Frontier
4. 02
5. Hunters
6. Aventure
7. Xros Wars
8. tri.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon has some of the best character development in the franchise. Certainly outstrips everything after Tamers for proper character growth. For a while, I thought the plot was basically being sacrificed to develop the characters properly. I wasn't happy with that, but I was willing to accept it. Then the last ~10 episodes happened and the stakes were properly in place and the series became a great piece of action and dynamic character work!

Overall, this rates really highly on my list, but I have to say that its terrible pacing REALLY hurts it. We're talking Frontier Royal Knights arc-level poor pacing for a while. Luckily, unlike Frontier, Appmon got better.

I'd be down for another season of Appmon. The ending subverting the trope of "all the magical buddies say goodbye" really gives me some hope. But if it ends as-is, I'm also pretty happy.

Quick ranking to put Appmon in perspective!
1. Tamers
2. Appmon
3. Savers
4. Adventure
5. Tri
6. Xros Wars
7. 02
8. Frontier
9. Hunters
(10. X-Evolution)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It wasn't my favorite series. It had some high high points but some low low points. I think it did a good job with character development when taken as a whole, but the pacing was poor and I wasn't a fan of the humor and low-stakes silliness of much of it.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I quite enjoyed Appmons from the start. One would say that the first half was one big filler. And I agree. But if you were watching Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon or even Daa Daa Daa as a kid you had no choice but to habit to fillers. Because that series are all 99% of fillers and 1% of plot. At the very least (unlike in Savers) these fillers were enjoyable and pretty fun to watch.

The second half was much better, but felt kinda rushed. I know everything was planned by Leviathan, but killing the Ultimate Four in three episodes was kinda too much. It felt that Leviathan made too many mistakes, mistakes that in a way were plot holes.

The characters were all enjoyable. Except Eri and Dokamon. Eri later became likeable, Dokamon not. The relationship between Yuujin and Haru was pretty interesting too. At the very least something fresh in the series.

The music (except second ending) was good too. It took me some time to become a fan of Be My Light, initially I didn't like it, but now I like it. Both openings, despite not being created by Wada-sama, were pretty good. Third ending is the song I like the most in the season. Four ending is pretty good too.

I don't know if I would put Appmons in the first place of the most liked Digimon seasons, because I myself don't know which season I like the most. But I'm pretty sure they'te close to the top of my list than the bottom.

ReiKatsura

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really really liked Appmon even though it had so many fillers. It was the first anime ever I watched live while it aired (at least as long as it had its old timeslot...). Also I cosplayed Rei last weekend at a big german con^^

In total almost all episodes were really good even though there were those fillers, but still I think only two or three episodes were unnecessary...

I also learned to like all the characters, I hated Eri in the beginnig...at the end I even liked her which is alsofor the first time.

I think Appmon is, together with Tamers, my absolutly favorite season and I really hope for a second season!

Pizza Splitter

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I personally liked it. It had its flaws but not enough for it to become unenjoyable. The designs of the Appmon in general I really liked even if I found the CGI a bit odd at first. I also did like most of the music in it like be my light. Although the pacing wasn't really the best. Didn't dislike any of the main characters by the end of it as well which is also good.
Its not my favorite but it's certainly one of my more favorite seasons. Probably in my 3rd or 4th slot most favorite spot.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The pacing of it threw me off a bit in the first half like everyone else, and quite honestly I didn't watch a lot of episodes in the first half but I never felt like I missed anything because of it. I enjoyed the character development of Haru very much, he went from being this scared shy introverted kid to being the hero and protagonist every one thought he could be, Rei is another character who I also felt was developed very well, he went through great lengths to rescue Hajime and the story made us realize how important he was to Rei and why. The overall music in previous Digimon series were a lot better imo, but the openings, endings, and insert songs kick-ass however, and we even got an episode with Brave Heart in it. This was Digimon to me, just with a different name and it really dug into the concept of A.I. more than any other series, which is what I've seen Digimon to be more of, the only other series that I know talks about A.I. is Tamers.

I'm always reluctant about sequels and follow up series, but since there are a lot of Appmon that we never saw in the series, and a lot of open ended questions, I would not mind seeing a follow up to this series, as long as it's with the same characters.

Where would I rank this with my other favorite Digimon series, probably top 5. Tamers> Adventure> Xros Wars> Universe: Appmon > Frontier > Savers > Hunters > 02 > Tri.

Last edited:

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm noticing everyone is mentioning the pacing; yeah, it was bizarre. I didn't mind the characters developing without the plot too much, and I wouldn't mind the occasional filler (especially Agumon's episode). Still, if I could change one thing about the show, it would be the pacing. Fix that, and it could possibly be my favorite show, period.

Back when Appmon was first announced, I could tell thst they were putting a lot of time and effort into the subfranchise as a whole. They apparently went a little generic with the 3DS game, but the anime was anything but generic. I hope to see how well it does if and when it gets officially introduced into any non-Japanese markets!

Oh, and... I'll do my best not to spoil those who are new to Appmon... unless I don't like them :p

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As others have already pointed out, the first half is almost entirely filler. Not that that was entirely a bad thing. Every episode was still well written and fun to watch. Though I would say that did take away a lot of valuable time they could have used with how rushed a lot of the 2nd half elements felt. Knight, Ultimate 4, etc. Shame we never got to see who that mysterious appli driver was and I'm still curious as to whether or not Cameramon and Satellamon were the same people.

The characters though, dear god the characters. I can't express just how much I love this cast. They're so good I'd watch an entire series just dedicated to Eri and Rei. Everyones character development was astounding and on point. Even Yuujin and Offmon who pretty much came in half way through the show. I'm going to miss these guys : (

All in all, even with its pacing issues I found it overall enjoyable. Enough to put it as my 2nd favorite season right behind Tamers and that's saying something. I pray we do get a 2nd season because of all the digimon seasons, this is probably the one that deserves a sequel the most.

Tamers>Appmon>Savers>Xros Wars>Adventure>Frontier>02>Young Hunters

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed watching this as it aired, which is a first for both Digimon and anime in general for me. It certainly was rife with pacing issues, but the characters were so charming and it had a ton of heart put into it. I felt like it really understood the core concepts of Digimon that I always found appealing: the adorable bond between some kids and their cool monster partners, the adherence to a rather strictly tiered level system, and exploring the relationship between humanity and various technologies. I think my rating for shows would go:

Frontier > 02 > Adventure > Appli Monsters > Tamers > Savers > Xros Wars

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I put my long-ass thoughts here: http://garmmy.tumblr.com/post/165901442409/appmon-afterthoughts
but tldr, I loved it. I tend to watch more for characters than story, and Appmon's characters were AMAZING and the story was pretty good too. Haru has become my favourite goggleboy..I have a soft spot for nice/kind characters like him.
As everyone mentioned the pacing is a bit whack, while I do enjoy fillers I do find it sliiightly hard to recommend Appmon because of them. If you don't mind fillers they definitely won't spoil your experience, but if you're the kind who hates fillers the middle part might be dry enough to make you drop if you're watching the whole thing through.
The ending was really great, and especially sad..this is the first Digimon series I followed all the way through as it aired (I dropped off halfway on XW..haha), and it was an amazing experience.

I love the standard grades, and the ultimate grade designs are SO GOOD and are some of my favourite protag Digimon designs ever. Not a fan of the god grade designs, but they do succeed in giving off the 'this is the final form!' feel.

And like most people, I was skeptical about the 3DCG at first but liked it in the end. Good quality 2D animation from toei is few and far between, but the 3DCG helps to erase toei's tendencies of badly drawn frames and too little inbetweens, and Appmon's might actually be one of my favourite 3DCG animation in anime.
If I had to complain though, the disparity between the 2D and 3D (esp framerates) is pretty huge and can be jarring, especially when both 2D and 3D characters share the screen.

Appmon's music overall isn't my favourite, but I'm really glad they decided to do character songs (and endings)!! I missed them in XW.

personal ranking: frontier > adventure > *appmon* > savers > 02 > hunters > tamers > tri > xros wars
frontier/adventure might be influenced by nostalgia too, but i'm not trying to make an objective ranking or anything. :p

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was wondering, when Haru was faced the question whether to kill Yuujin, if Leviathan was moved by the Haru's words (about becoming a researcher studying AI), and intentionally lost control of Yuujin to let them both exchange some words before dying. To me it looked like that.

My personal ranking would be:

X-Evo
Zero Two / Tamers / Appmons
Frontier
Adventure
Young Hunters
Xros Wars
Savers
Tri

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I stated before that I consider Appli Monsters a good albeit not perfect series that I enjoy greatly and my opinion has not changed from that assessment.

I can't rank it because like with all Digimon series, there are things I adore and things that utterly frustrate me.

Shangyou

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As many others have said, the first half was full of filler but it was still written well enough that I looked forward to watching the next episode every week. The last dozen or so episodes surpassed any expectations I had of the series and that ending was one of the more memorable ones of all the Digimon series IMO. I think a huge reason why I got so invested into Appmon is because they did an exceptional job with the design of the toys, particularly the Appmon chips that I've now collected hundreds of, and those chips look cool enough to the point that I don't think anybody would find them too kiddy like the Xros Wars fusing figures for example.

My personal ranking would be:

Savers
Adventure
Appmon
X-Evo
Young Hunters
Tri
Xros Wars
Frontier
Tamers

I notice many people have Tamers ranked as their favourite, I was about 10 years old when I watched it back then and don't remember liking it much. I watched every series as they aired while I was growing up and I think I probably need to rewatch most of them now that I'm older just to see if my ranking has changed.

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty much agree with everyone else. Like, every episode was enjoyable, even on a stand-alone basis, but it really did have these sharp peaks of plot progression before settling back into an easy going streak. I think the battle against the Ultimate 4 could have stood to be at least an episode longer (they were awesome villains and they just plowed through them once they obtained the DUOs), and the Bootmon delays were a little annoying at the time.

But all said and done, it was terrific Season and I enjoyed it a lot. Really Top Tier stuff. The characterisation was great, and that combined with well directed action and interesting powers made for some of the franchises best action sequences.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not going to lie, at first I though Appli Monsters was a terrible idea. I was very excited for having a new Digimon series, but Digimon without Digimon? Even so, week by week, the series has growth a lot on me. One of the highlights that made me appreciate it more is that Haru is probably the only Goggle Boy in Digimon I can identify myself with. Also, having such a pute-hearted as Offmon was very refreshing to me. Those are my favourite characters for sure.

Appmon certainly had some flaws, but overall, I really enjoyed a lot this new concept. I hope there's a second season in the future, but even if not, I already have very fond memories.
Best: Offmon, Yuujin X Haru, AI references, characters' growth and interactions.
Worst: Evolution sequences, some of the CGI, weird pacing, unnecesary filler.

I like a lot every Digimon entry, but my personal ranking would go:
1- Frontier
2- Xros Wars
3- Adventure

4- Tamers
5- Savers
6- X-Evolution
7- 02
8- Appmon
9- Young Hunters
10- tri.

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At first i was skeptical and annoyed at the announcement of Appmon, especially when i saw Gatchmon's first art (not the 2D one), and also how it looked like to be another Xros Wars when i was wanting a series more traditional to Adventure-Tamers era like Savers. Then i just continue to watch it just because it's Digimon. Overall, Appmon is quite a memorable series, but still far from my favorite. It's just like Hunters: good concept, terrible execution. But at least, Appmon doesn't need to resort into silly tricks called nostalgia crossover fanservice (hey... there was that one episode with Agumon, but it was still ok and it ties well with the series, it also serves as an explanation about what's the relation of Appmon to Digimon is, and i consider that to be important), so it's a better Hunter that's still not quite good. The reason is.. obviously it's pacing. It wouldn't be too big of a problem if those fillerish episode was exclusive to first half only since there was that recap episode before timeslot change and then second half have close to none, but somehow Appmon manages to do "wasteland V 2.0" with their fillerish episode. Such amount of fillerish episode made Appmon something i can't really recommend to anyone, even Digimon fans, and i wouldn't rate something that i can't recommend as very good.

My personal ranking: Savers > Frontier > Adventure > Xros Wars > Appmon > 02> Tamers > Tri > Hunter

What i liked about Appmon: Appmon's ability which made even some standard grades to be troublesome enough, fusing that resembles traditional evolution more than what DigiXros did, a bookworm introverted goggle boy, Globemon's debut, Eri, Haru's char development, how Rei still an endgelord in the end, Hackmon line, how basically 51 out of 52 episodes of Appmon was just Leviathan being all "according to keikaku", actual equality for the main cast, first time final evolution unlocked not by goggle boy, all the Yuujin dramas.
What i disliked: The amount of fillerish episode and how they keep coming back, Kiwami's debut (minus Globemon) was unnecessary OHKO and WTF with Revivemon debut being like "hey i finally fulfilled the requirement for this form, let's try it for the sake of trying!" in a game, how appmon of the week looked like bullying to me since the protags almost always use a grade higher and OHKOed them, unresolved mysteries such as that black applidriver who fuse appfused Mienumon (and Cameramon), deep web and dark web barely explored, Hunter J or something, how little adults/families (especially mom and dad) involvement in this series (What i liked about Digimon was although it's a series with children for target audience, still has quite a lot of adult involvement), etc.