What are your Digimon headcanons?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually like Web's idea. It fits and it helps that they're nun types. Orphans and stuff.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the exception of Manbomon. :-/
Manbomon is designed after an ocean sunfish, which apparently was considered a sacred animal by some Polynesian cultures.
Gargoyle, Harpy, Quetzacoatl, Sphinx, Sea Dragon, Mola?

I haven't found anything significant on the Mola in Polynesian culture.

This website has a section on the ocean sunfish’s place in various cultures.

Thank you for this.

I see that it has cultural significance, but nothing significant if that makes sense.

In spite of her standard line being Holy, most of the Digiegg Armors of Light are quite dark in their mythology.

Tangentially, I'm upset that Hawkmon doesn't digivolve into Thunderbirdmon, but instead Rinkmon.
That's mainly because Thunderbirmon wouldn't exist until a couple years later. Thunderbirmon (along with FlaWizarmon, Salamandamon, and Kenkimon, all of whom use either the Courage or Friendship Digimentals) came from an odd set of new Armor Digimon introduced in the Hyper Colosseum card game around the time Frontier started airing...... and then they never really touched upon Armor Digimon ever since (lest you count an X-Antibody form here and there).

That I wasn't aware of, but in retrospect, I personally, wouldn't have a problem with them retconning Thunderbirdmon for Rinkmon. Doesn't Aquilamon have an entry related to Thunderbirds?

I suppose I'm a little salty that Hawkmon hadn't been created at the time that Garudamon was. I headcanon that evolution as a "natural progression" for the 02 Hawkmon, just as I do Hippogriffmon (Humanoid vs. Beast Forms). Getting off topic, but I'm not really so keen on Aquilamon as a Champion. In spite of all the objections to the contrary, the 02 Champions all look and feel like they follow the rules of Pokemon evolution. They're just slightly larger versions of their Rookies. I don't object to that, because I prefer a character specific species line (eg Greymon and Garurumon), but then some insist on the Jogress forms being natural progressions for them. Okay, I'm ranting, sorry...

Headcanon:

I think 02, or at most the partners, with the exception of TK and Kari were initially intended to have the origin story of the first class of Digidestined regarding the Four Sovereigns (Hawkmon > Zhuquaimon, Veemon > Azulongmon, Armadillomon (I'm okay with Kotemon/Ryudamon here...) > Ebonwumon, and Meicoomon (Wanyamon fits as a more natural progression to Meicoomon IMO) (or Bearmon) to Baihumon.) I'm a bit divided on Tapirmon becoming Huanglongmon as I personally headcanon him as a natural progression to Goldramon, but could see him becoming anything from Shakamon to Mitamamon.

In a retconned universe, Ken would have been paired with Lopmon/Tapirmon.

Ken is the Edmund Pevensie of the digidestined, incapable of activating his crest, which is why it remains Black in Kizuna. Writing this made me headcanon Ken possessing the Digieggs of Compassion and Justice as Golden Digieggs which lends itself to Shakamon being his partner.

Meiko unofficially is meant to represent Justice. This however bothers me a bit as she's really no different from Ken, with the exception of having a long haired and rabid Gatomon...

Digimon Adventure 02 was partially inspired by the Narnia series. This actually makes me wonder if the original intent of the ending of 02 was meant to have humans and Digimon living side by side in the Digital World.

Frontier is based on an unexplored alternate plot line within 02 regarding humanoid and beast evolutions, and the ancient line of now extinct Digimon.

02's core cast was intended to be the story of the original Digidestined in the digital world.

Ken and Oikawa were intended to be the same person. Ken was the portion of Oikawa that remained independent from him within the Digital World.

Joe and Mimi are end game for me.

For what it's worth, there actually is a moose constellation in some cultures. We're just more familiar with it under the Greek name of Cassiopeia.

I would've like to have seen something that fits the imagery of Andromeda and Cassiopeia.

I personally headcanon an armor evolution with the tag line "The beauty of the storm!"
No offense, but I think that's a real stretch.

What's a stretch?

You quoted a whole block of text, but didn't specify what.
I meant all you said about 02.

Mr_Web

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gankoomon, Huckmon, and all the Sistermon are all one adopted family. Gankoomon keeps finding children and keeps saying "This one is mine now."
to add to this, I've headcanoned for a while that Bancho Leomon was once mentored by Gankoomon.

At first this was an unsupported headcanon but a Korean Digimon fan pointed out to me the other day that concept art for Bancho Leomon had "Royal Knights" written by it which this fan thinks meant Bancho was intended to be a Royal Knights member. If true, it would have me think he was replaced with Gankoomon as a Royal Knights member due to their similar designs. But as far as I know, that sketch note could mean anything.

Another thing I found recently was this cutscene from Cyber Sleuth that feeds into my headcanon by showing Gankoomon and Bancho Leomon as friends and Bancho Leomon assisting in training Huckmon (skip the combat to watch the opening and closing cutscenes)

YES! I always saw Gankoomon and Bancholeomon as friends, especially since Gankoomon is said to be one of the most active Royal knights in actually helping the digital world so it makes since that he would run in someone like Brancholeomon

I also have a headcanon that Gankoomon doesn't really like some of the other royal knights over the fact they don't protect the digital world often, which is something Brancholeomon also agrees with.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gankoomon, Huckmon, and all the Sistermon are all one adopted family. Gankoomon keeps finding children and keeps saying "This one is mine now."
to add to this, I've headcanoned for a while that Bancho Leomon was once mentored by Gankoomon.

At first this was an unsupported headcanon but a Korean Digimon fan pointed out to me the other day that concept art for Bancho Leomon had "Royal Knights" written by it which this fan thinks meant Bancho was intended to be a Royal Knights member. If true, it would have me think he was replaced with Gankoomon as a Royal Knights member due to their similar designs. But as far as I know, that sketch note could mean anything.
I'm pretty sure the text translates to "The Digimon Banchou has returned to the Royal Knights!" This could be interpreted as BanchoLeomon re-entering the Royal Knights, but it could also just mean that he's simply appearing before them again.

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the exception of Manbomon. :-/
Manbomon is designed after an ocean sunfish, which apparently was considered a sacred animal by some Polynesian cultures.
Gargoyle, Harpy, Quetzacoatl, Sphinx, Sea Dragon, Mola?

I haven't found anything significant on the Mola in Polynesian culture.

This website has a section on the ocean sunfish’s place in various cultures.

Thank you for this.

I see that it has cultural significance, but nothing significant if that makes sense.

In spite of her standard line being Holy, most of the Digiegg Armors of Light are quite dark in their mythology.

Tangentially, I'm upset that Hawkmon doesn't digivolve into Thunderbirdmon, but instead Rinkmon.
That's mainly because Thunderbirmon wouldn't exist until a couple years later. Thunderbirmon (along with FlaWizarmon, Salamandamon, and Kenkimon, all of whom use either the Courage or Friendship Digimentals) came from an odd set of new Armor Digimon introduced in the Hyper Colosseum card game around the time Frontier started airing...... and then they never really touched upon Armor Digimon ever since (lest you count an X-Antibody form here and there).

That I wasn't aware of, but in retrospect, I personally, wouldn't have a problem with them retconning Thunderbirdmon for Rinkmon. Doesn't Aquilamon have an entry related to Thunderbirds?

I suppose I'm a little salty that Hawkmon hadn't been created at the time that Garudamon was. I headcanon that evolution as a "natural progression" for the 02 Hawkmon, just as I do Hippogriffmon (Humanoid vs. Beast Forms). Getting off topic, but I'm not really so keen on Aquilamon as a Champion. In spite of all the objections to the contrary, the 02 Champions all look and feel like they follow the rules of Pokemon evolution. They're just slightly larger versions of their Rookies. I don't object to that, because I prefer a character specific species line (eg Greymon and Garurumon), but then some insist on the Jogress forms being natural progressions for them. Okay, I'm ranting, sorry...

Headcanon:

I think 02, or at most the partners, with the exception of TK and Kari were initially intended to have the origin story of the first class of Digidestined regarding the Four Sovereigns (Hawkmon > Zhuquaimon, Veemon > Azulongmon, Armadillomon (I'm okay with Kotemon/Ryudamon here...) > Ebonwumon, and Meicoomon (Wanyamon fits as a more natural progression to Meicoomon IMO) (or Bearmon) to Baihumon.) I'm a bit divided on Tapirmon becoming Huanglongmon as I personally headcanon him as a natural progression to Goldramon, but could see him becoming anything from Shakamon to Mitamamon.

In a retconned universe, Ken would have been paired with Lopmon/Tapirmon.

Ken is the Edmund Pevensie of the digidestined, incapable of activating his crest, which is why it remains Black in Kizuna. Writing this made me headcanon Ken possessing the Digieggs of Compassion and Justice as Golden Digieggs which lends itself to Shakamon being his partner.

Meiko unofficially is meant to represent Justice. This however bothers me a bit as she's really no different from Ken, with the exception of having a long haired and rabid Gatomon...

Digimon Adventure 02 was partially inspired by the Narnia series. This actually makes me wonder if the original intent of the ending of 02 was meant to have humans and Digimon living side by side in the Digital World.

Frontier is based on an unexplored alternate plot line within 02 regarding humanoid and beast evolutions, and the ancient line of now extinct Digimon.

02's core cast was intended to be the story of the original Digidestined in the digital world.

Ken and Oikawa were intended to be the same person. Ken was the portion of Oikawa that remained independent from him within the Digital World.

Joe and Mimi are end game for me.

For what it's worth, there actually is a moose constellation in some cultures. We're just more familiar with it under the Greek name of Cassiopeia.

I would've like to have seen something that fits the imagery of Andromeda and Cassiopeia.

I personally headcanon an armor evolution with the tag line "The beauty of the storm!"
No offense, but I think that's a real stretch.

What's a stretch?

You quoted a whole block of text, but didn't specify what.
I meant all you said about 02.
I think some are outlandish, but not by much in my estimation (Hence them being headcanons. ). I think 02 had the most potential, but wanted to introduce every novel form of evolution under the sun. We got Armor, Jogress and Mode Changes etc. Not to mention the general story being all over the place.

The Digieggs are really no different than the Spirits of Frontier.

The Narnia parallels are all there with Ken, Maki, Menoa, Oikawa, and oddly enough, Sora. Sora is our Susan Pevensie, which is all the more tragic.

Lopmon makes the most sense for Ken, because aside from the Crest and color scheme, the story presented in Hurricane Touchdown corresponds quite nicely to Ken's fall and redemption.

Compassion seems to be more appropriate for Ken than just "He's a nice guy.". Justice going hand in hand with that.

Rasiel and Raguel are angels from Kaballistic lore concerned with Justice. The Judgement of the digital and human worlds is the core theme of Tri. Ordinemon and Ophanimon Fall Down mode are all born of that desire to purge those worlds via wrath. Omnimon Merciful mode is born of Meiko's plea for mercy.

The rest are a bit more outlandish, but I like the notion that Ken could have been conceived as a part of Oikawa at some point, but that refused to grow up and became independent from him.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
well, the spirits and eggs are differnet in that whoever uses the spirit becomes that form (Agunimon etc), whilst you arent stuck as just flamedramon with the fire digiegg.

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
well, the spirits and eggs are differnet in that whoever uses the spirit becomes that form (Agunimon etc), whilst you arent stuck as just flamedramon with the fire digiegg.

But the concept itself is basically the same. It's armor that goes on whatever base form. I would argue that Frontier perfected it, to some degree, as some of the Armor forms were ridiculous bearing no semblance of the digiegg that provided the armor, just inspired by the essence of what the armor represented.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

But the concept itself is basically the same. It's armor that goes on whatever base form. I would argue that Frontier perfected it, to some degree, as some of the Armor forms were ridiculous bearing no semblance of the digiegg that provided the armor, just inspired by the essence of what the armor represented.
No, they did resemble the Digimental..... on certain Digimon (most notably the Armor forms featured in the 02 anime). And unlike the Spirits, you could get more than just ONE Digimon out of each relic. Given the choice between one Digimon that looks exactly like the glorified evolution stone, and at least six Digimon with only one of them mildly resembling the glorified evolution stone, I'd go with the latter. Granted, I guess Spirits weren't exactly limited to just one Digimon, since they were capable of fusing with one another...... too bad they released a VERY limited number of Digimon that utilized such a concept (and I'm not even talking about just the Transcended Hybrid forms; 20 years on, and we STILL can't get just the damn Fusion Hybrids from the villain side).

JR9386

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Given the choice between one Digimon that looks exactly like the glorified evolution stone, and at least six Digimon with only one of them mildly resembling the glorified evolution stone, I'd go with the latter.

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of calling it armor?

It may as well be a Crest at that point.

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember where I saw it (maybe it was even in this thread), but someone once suggested the RK Omegamon was born from Paladin Mode's Omega Blade. That made me think about a variation of it: the very first Omegamon was created when Paladin Mode used the Omega Blade to "knight" both a WarGreymon and a MetalGarurumon, whose shared will gave birth to Omegamon.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the very first Omegamon was created when Paladin Mode used the Omega Blade to "knight" both a WarGreymon and a MetalGarurumon, whose shared will gave birth to Omegamon.
that would make a lot of sense given how the first Omnimon being born from Paladin Mode's sword does not explain the explicitly WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon hands, although it might be possible that VictoryGreymon and ZekeGarurumon were the ones knighted

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the very first Omegamon was created when Paladin Mode used the Omega Blade to "knight" both a WarGreymon and a MetalGarurumon, whose shared will gave birth to Omegamon.
that would make a lot of sense given how the first Omnimon being born from Paladin Mode's sword does not explain the explicitly WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon hands, although it might be possible that VictoryGreymon and ZekeGarurumon were the ones knighted
Even AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon could work. I'd say it's even more likely, as Paladin Mode is also an Ancient species and this headcanon would have to be set in the distant past.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon could work. I'd say it's even more likely, as Paladin Mode is also an Ancient species and this headcanon would have to be set in the distant past.
the downside to that connection is that AncientGarurumon is the swordsman while AncientGreymon uses projectiles so it feels more analogous to Alter-S.
I guess you can say that the spiraling and intertwining of data did that but again Alter-S keeping the roles of its components contradicts that.
Overthinking Digimon is what we do here o_O

Lord_of_the_Dude

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember where I saw it (maybe it was even in this thread), but someone once suggested the RK Omegamon was born from Paladin Mode's Omega Blade. That made me think about a variation of it: the very first Omegamon was created when Paladin Mode used the Omega Blade to "knight" both a WarGreymon and a MetalGarurumon, whose shared will gave birth to Omegamon.
Yeah, that was my headcanon lol. But your theory could work as well. Maybe that was also the first time WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon realize that they could jogress into Omegamon

Darklabo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Headcanon: The « Will of Everyone » can take the form of the Omega Blade, so Imperialdramon doesn’t actually need Omegamon to become Paladin Mode, just the same source of power than him.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Headcanon: The « Will of Everyone » can take the form of the Omega Blade, so Imperialdramon doesn’t actually need Omegamon to become Paladin Mode, just the same source of power than him.
Ooooh this is a good one.

Miragecoordinator

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Probably not really a headcanon so much as a theory I've had since I was a kid. Homeostasis propped up Devimon and Etemon. Those two were intended as a test to see if the Digidestined could fulfill the task that had been set before them. File Island's purpose was to be a sort of basic training envrionment while the struggle with Etemon was more advanced training. Granted Apocalymon *created* them, but hasn't anybody else always found it odd that they were strong enough to pose a challenge but not actually *beat* the Digidestined if they worked together?

Takatofan1986

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Probably not really a headcanon so much as a theory I've had since I was a kid. Homeostasis propped up Devimon and Etemon. Those two were intended as a test to see if the Digidestined could fulfill the task that had been set before them. File Island's purpose was to be a sort of basic training envrionment while the struggle with Etemon was more advanced training. Granted Apocalymon *created* them, but hasn't anybody else always found it odd that they were strong enough to pose a challenge but not actually *beat* the Digidestined if they worked together?
I kinda thought that about Devimon. Never thought about Etemon, but it makes sense.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Probably not really a headcanon so much as a theory I've had since I was a kid. Homeostasis propped up Devimon and Etemon. Those two were intended as a test to see if the Digidestined could fulfill the task that had been set before them. File Island's purpose was to be a sort of basic training envrionment while the struggle with Etemon was more advanced training.
Only File Island was actually confirmed to be a test, but the same being true for Etemon is unlikely.
While Gennai brought the Digimon to File Island intentionally, the Crests were at this point already stolen by Piemon, so the chosen children finding them on Server Continent was not something that the Homeostasis should have been able to influence. Plus, according the novelization Etemon was working under Vamdemon, or at least as part of the same "Organization" headed by the Dark Masters themselves.

About the strength of the villains, it's not really a weird coincidence but more of a storytelling compulsion because... the Chosen Children obviously had to win, had Etemon just murdered them in episode 15... well the anime would have ended right then.
So not much can be deduced from events that had no alternatives.