What are your Digimon headcanons?

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Would it not make more sense if Apocalymon originated from the World of Dreams since that is a place were pure emotions and thoughts can manifest into actual material beings?
I suppose it could, as that world is the power behind the Digital World and World of Darkness though if you had to choose from one of those three places it might even be the latter.

Pretty sure that was never canon for the anime (only the novel claims this and that's another version entirely).
Throughout the franchise, part of the point of the Dark Area (Which is what Apocalymon's void and the firewall basically represents, MetalEtemon even calls it "hell") is that it makes sure that the data of evil Digimon is not reborn. That is why Devimon's data was still in the abyss in 02 ready to be used by the Kaiser for example.
This makes for a much more convincing motivation as well; In the original anime concept of Apocalymon the very fact that that the village of beginnings has basically rejected their data that could be seen as the source of anger for the Digimon that make up Apocalymon.
In the novel's version of the concepts the regrets of the lives belonging to the data (a random distinction that makes very little sense in the first place) seem very much less justified if they would get reconstructed either way.
(In a weird buddhism style of thinking it could theoretically possible for souls to get tired of reincarnation itself but this is not the case as this would contradicts Apocalymon's own admissions of envy).
Yeah, I'm essentially treating the novel as supplemental to the anime i.e any information that doesn't directly conflict with what was established in the show is valid to me. Thus the interpretations would differ based on what you accept as canon.

Anger as motivation for revenge is definitely plausible, although I'd point out that when talking about Apocalymon's origins in the show, Gennai seemed to refer to Digimon who'd died while evolving in the general sense and not just evil Digimon only.

IamTheSovereign

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When Renamon states that Digimon "aren't divided into genders," she didn't mean biologically, physically. I mean, just take a look at the likes of Angewomon and Kazemon.

No, what she meant was that Digimon aren't divided in a societal manner; a Digimon can be biologically male, female, or perhaps even neither, but the Digital World as a society (or, the DW's equivalent of such a thing) doesn't create any divisions based on this. Any Digimon is not treated differently for whatever gender they identify (or unidentify) with, because they are not assholes like humans.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When Renamon states that Digimon "aren't divided into genders," she didn't mean biologically, physically. I mean, just take a look at the likes of Angewomon and Kazemon.

No, what she meant was that Digimon aren't divided in a societal manner; a Digimon can be biologically male, female, or perhaps even neither, but the Digital World as a society (or, the DW's equivalent of such a thing) doesn't create any divisions based on this. Any Digimon is not treated differently for whatever gender they identify (or unidentify) with, because they are not assholes like humans.
I believe the societal part but I also do not think they have biological sex as you're mistaking secondary sex characteristics such as boobs and hips with biological sex itself. In Digimon World Dawn and Dusk two Mega levels can create an egg regardless of if they both appeared to look biologically male or female and with those games being my first Digimon media, I've always taken that to mean that Digimon do not reproduce like mammals do in our world so in a way they are all one, universal sex.
However, Digimon do have gender identities seperate from this as we've seen countless examples of preferred pronouns individuals go by. It's just that this discussion was probably way too complicated for a throwaway line in Tamers

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. They're all barbie doll down there and eggs are mostly just putting data together. Since unlike a different series, Digimon aren't biological at their core. And they do have pronouns. I think we all sort of agreed on that before.

oh, I thought they were literal custodians managing sluggish computers and emptying trash bins. Your idea is pretty fun too and has a much more action focused concept and I would still very much love to see it!
Thank you very much. I had the idea when I just put all those Digimon together.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The canon is that Digimon are sexless but can identify as a gender. so thats how we have a male lilithmon in world data squad

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Any Digimon is not treated differently for whatever gender they identify (or unidentify) with, because they are not assholes like humans.
Digimon very much do have prejudices. Did you forget how X-Antibody carriers were shunned in X-Evolution? Or how about the Justimon in Cyber Sleuth who designated others as villains based on their appearance? And that's just off the top of my head, not even mentioning the countless cases of Digimon having it out for humans.

I believe the societal part but I also do not think they have biological sex as you're mistaking secondary sex characteristics such as boobs and hips with biological sex itself. In Digimon World Dawn and Dusk two Mega levels can create an egg regardless of if they both appeared to look biologically male or female and with those games being my first Digimon media, I've always taken that to mean that Digimon do not reproduce like mammals do in our world so in a way they are all one, universal sex.
I never played the DS Story games, but are you saying that Digimon can actually produce eggs? As in true offspring separate from the parents? Because in the Wonderswan RPGs, they only made it so that two "parents" Jogress to turn two bodies into a single egg, essentially sacrificing themselves in the process (this even played into the story with the creation of Cyberdramon).

Incidentally, I always took the concept of sex simply not existing among Digimon because they're effectively immortal, reverting back into an early life stage every time they "die". With that in mind, it only makes sense that they shouldn't be increasing their population. But then we consider that in some canons, permanent deletion is a thing, not to mention numerous cases of multiple Digimon becoming one Digimon (either the aforementioned Jogress, both the egg variant as well as Jogress into a higher stage, or even cases of Digimon eating other Digimon, particularly with the loading concept in Tamers), and it seems clear that they'd need to recover their numbers somehow or other. But interesting that we're talking about the Story games, because I view the idea of being able to create new Digimon out of collected Scan Data to be actual canon rather than just a gameplay mechanic, since that would be one such feasible way for Digimon to reproduce.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never played the DS Story games, but are you saying that Digimon can actually produce eggs? As in true offspring separate from the parents?
yes, they do genuine reproduction at least in the Nintendo DS Digimon Story universe. This list is all of the possible eggs and the parent combinations that produce them:

Digimon reproducing makes sense to me as technology and the internet itself is constantly expanding, Yggdrasill in the X Evolution continuity did do population control genocide after all.

Digimon very much do have prejudices. Did you forget how X-Antibody carriers were shunned in X-Evolution? Or how about the Justimon in Cyber Sleuth who designated others as villains based on their appearance? And that's just off the top of my head, not even mentioning the countless cases of Digimon having it out for human
yes but we have yet to see any hint of gender predjudice among Digimon to my knowledge besides maybe instances of Palmon copying her bff Mimi, and even if so I can'tuld imagine it's a super small minority of Digimon with this predjudice, so IamTheSovereign's theory is still very reasonable

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have many.
-Mimi ended up with Michael based on her sons hairstyle.
-Momoe Inoue being the girl Jou takes the bike from in the 02 movie.

I feel like allot of the ones I had growing up just don't stick with me anymore and only the shippy stuff remains :(

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the last one. It works. Funny how shippy stuff is left. That does figure.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I tend to think that Mimi ended up with Michael too - solely based on her son's hair.

Hikari has a Seed of Light within her somehow, which basically gives her a kind of ESP and makes her more sensitive to what Homeostasis says. This thing is obviously the opposite of the Dark Seed.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Profile!RustTyrannomon knows profile!HiAndromon and profile!Boltmon, on the basis that all 3 are among the first creations of the Crack Team.

SavageGreymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since Rapidmon comes in two forms, a Golden Armor version implied to be Mega-equivalent, and as a non-armor Ultimate, I propose the potential existence of a non-Golden, Ultimate-level version of Magnamon that acts as the normal evolution for ExVeeMon/XV-Mon.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since Rapidmon comes in two forms, a Golden Armor version implied to be Mega-equivalent, and as a non-armor Ultimate, I propose the potential existence of a non-Golden, Ultimate-level version of Magnamon that acts as the normal evolution for ExVeeMon/XV-Mon.
No joke, send this idea to Bandai. This needs to happen.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Same here. This theory is pretty well known among the fans but what about the Ultimate level form of Vmon/XVmon's?

SavageGreymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, probably a new Mega/Ultimate would be required at that point. Since the Veedramon->AeroVeedramon->UlforceVeedramon line ends in a humanoid dragon-man type, I'd like the ExVeemon->Magnamon (Non Golden)->??? line to end in more of a monster type final form. Perhaps an armored, or even partially robotic, non-humanoid dragon of some kind.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bandai somehow does not currently have rights to Bemmon or its evolutions.

Rize Greymon is Yggdrasill server's parallel to Apollomom. Both utilize light energy and convert it to heat energy

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Rize Greymon is Yggdrasill server's parallel to Apollomom. Both utilize light energy and convert it to heat energy
Okay, suddenly I want to piece together a Yggdrasil “response team” for the Olympians. I know the Olympians are compared to the Knights, but it’s not much fun imagining all the dragon knights fighting against such a wide range of megas.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Okay, suddenly I want to piece together a Yggdrasil “response team” for the Olympians. I know the Olympians are compared to the Knights, but it’s not much fun imagining all the dragon knights fighting against such a wide range of megas.
go for it. The Olympus XII have
  • a weather god who seems himself as judge, jury, and executioner
  • a yandere (there's not really anything more to Junomon than that)
  • a dirty fighting wrestling god of war
  • a god who is lightspeed and can cut through space itself
  • a poisonous party god
  • the god of the ocean
  • a moon god of ice and illusion
  • a smith who can craft objects of mythical power
  • the goddess of nature
  • the goddess of love
  • idk what Minervamon is
if you can find a counter to all of them that would be neat to see

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How funny. Minervamon may be viewed as the god of "strength" rather than wisdom but after X form, now she is closer to Minerva for having wisdom and strategy familiars besides having upgraded shield with dreadnought class laser.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Same here. This theory is pretty well known among the fans but what about the Ultimate level form of Vmon/XVmon's?
If anything, I think it's just the Fate Digimental that makes golden forms of "regular" evolutions. Unlike the Digimental of Miracles (and almost all the other Digimentals, for that matter), the Digimental of Fate has far more limited application, being almost exclusive to Terriermon and, later on, V-mon (granted, this would mostly be the result of the Fate Digimental being left out of the D-3 LCD toys completely). And their forms just so happen to be variants of Rapidmon (albeit the Perfect form was released afterwards) and V-dramon (the latter of which being retconned from the Gold V-dramon in D-1 Tamers).

For what it's worth, a few more Digimon could use it in the card game, but it typically just resulted in Miracle Armor forms (it probably doesn't mean much coming from the card game, but it does give the impression that the Fate Digimental, when not being used for its own exclusive forms, is ultimately just a variant of the Miracles Digimental, and it would make sense they'd be closely related since they're the only two carrying the epitath of "golden Digimental"). The golden Guardromon could also use both Digimentals in Hacker's Memory, though I suspect this was mostly done for the sake of gameplay convenience (Magnamon and Rapidmon Armor's evolution requirements call for a high amount of defense, which V-mon and Terriermon can't obtain without stat allocation and/or reaching an extremely high level, but which gold Guardromon has a much easier time building up).