What are your Digimon headcanons?

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Musyamon are comically inept by nature. It is extremely rare that you'll find one that's competent, and even more unlikely that they'll be strong enough to evolve. This is why Zanbamon are so hard to come by, and don't appear in many things.

Wizardmon is the Avatar after Korra. Witchelny is the Avatarverse's Digital World.
Given the jump in technology from TLA to LoK, I could totally see the Avatarverse advancing far enough that they connect to the digital world by the time of the next Avatar.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wizardmon is the Avatar after Korra. Witchelny is the Avatarverse's Digital World.
Wait wait wait. I could enjoy this headcanon, but there's a nagging question:

How does Avatarverse have a DIGITAL World of its own? There's no digital networks... I need more headcanon for this headcanon.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait wait wait. I could enjoy this headcanon, but there's a nagging question:

How does Avatarverse have a DIGITAL World of its own? There's no digital networks... I need more headcanon for this headcanon.
If we go by xros war digital world exist before mankind and that humanity only learn to tap into the digital world recently.
Though my headcanon of mine is that the information in human brain also count as data thus it also contribute to digital world.

Last edited:

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Human spirits being Perfect level is perfectly canon thanks to Next 0rder.
They were adult class in the card game but that is different from actually having that same level.
This is what I was trying to go for, but I couldn't word it correctly. Sorry. Anyway.. in reference to the games, like Theigno said, in my head cannon, it just feels right to make agunimon a champion, emperorgreymon an ultimate and so on. I know that sounds weird.

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like Xros Wars does - that it's a standard otherworld of myth and magic with (per the manga) apparently 40K's Warp-like qualities.
. I’m sure I’m just forgetting something from the manga, but how is it like the Warp?

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm... since this is the headcanon topic, I guess I can explain how I've always thought XW's concept of the "Digital World existed even before the Earth did!" was complete nonsense. How can a world that is -clearly- based on aspects of things created by Humans (look at stuff like Disc Zone) have been around since before Humans?

Well, I've always had the headcanon that the actual -dimension-, the physical space, existed since pre-Earth, but Digital World took its current form based on the information networks from the human world.

Because anything else is demonstrably illogical.

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m sure I’m just forgetting something from the manga, but how is it like the Warp?
Bagramon explains that the Digital World is linked to humanity's collective consciousness - that Digimon evolution went away because humans got bummed out and gave up on their dreams.

How can a world that is -clearly- based on aspects of things created by Humans (look at stuff like Disc Zone) have been around since before Humans?
Ancient astronauts out the wazoo, maybe? Wisemon was just trolling/misinformed? The writers didn't put enough work in to make the Digital World look the 'older than humanity' part?

Last edited:

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I've always had the headcanon that the actual -dimension-, the physical space, existed since pre-Earth, but Digital World took its current form based on the information networks from the human world.

l.
That's something I can actually go with. The whole Digital World existed before earth thing is still effin stupid but that's a bit better.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just figured the Digital World existed but the humans were able to create something that allowed access to it, for that to make sense.

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How can a world that is digital exist before humans?
Pretty easily. We have a theory IRL that posits our universe is a digital construct, and that's what the anime and manga both paint as being true - the Digital World includes the Human World and explicitly recognizes our universe as a Zone (cite: Wizardmon in the manga), and all human electronics work because we're harnessing a small part of the DW.

Kingbeemon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jijimon abd babamon are gatomon and wizardmon who failed there universe and universe hopped with tho as did leomon

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How can a world that is digital exist before humans?
Pretty easily. We have a theory IRL that posits our universe is a digital construct, and that's what the anime and manga both paint as being true - the Digital World includes the Human World and explicitly recognizes our universe as a Zone (cite: Wizardmon in the manga), and all human electronics work because we're harnessing a small part of the DW.
Right, but for that IRL theory to work, it would imply that the structure of the universe, down to atoms, are run on a digital construct.

This would imply that the Digital Worlds would also exhibit all of the properties of the Real World. But since we can clearly see that physics don't work the same way, and since we can clearly see that Digimon are made up of data instead of atoms, I think it's safe to say that this theory doesn't work.

Conversely, the Real World (as seen in the anime) would have to exhibit the same characteristics of 'Digital-ness' as all of the 'other Zones'. It clearly does not. It functions like Earth, made of atoms, not easily-manipulatable information.

Basically, if the Real World is supposedly just another Zone, why doesn't it work on any of the rules the other Zones do? (Or why don't the other Zones work on Earth's physics if Earth itself is a Digital construct?)

It just doesn't make sense.

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Conversely, the Real World (as seen in the anime) would have to exhibit the same characteristics of 'Digital-ness' as all of the 'other Zones'. It clearly does not. It functions like Earth, made of atoms, not easily-manipulatable information.
It does, though, between Omegamon opening portals in the Human World, Angie & Jeremy pulling Digital World nonsense while there to empower Shoutmon, and Quartzmon fusing with everything on earth.

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think Cyber Sleuth further expanded on the idea. Basically, the Digital World was never a world that existed within our world's computer networks, rather it's another dimension where all matter is based off of data. It just so happens that when computers started to manifest within our world, contact with that data-based dimension became possible. And in Xros Wars, I think the explanation was simple enough. Basically, our world was too primitive for it to join the vast expanse of data-based dimensions until relatively recently (which seems a bit similar to the common theory that alien life had been around advancing their technologies while our planet was still in its infancy).

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My headcanon for Ryo in the Adventure tv universe (since the tv shows and games contradict each other)

Ryo became chosen after witnessing the Diablomon on the net in March 2000 while on spring break with his family in Turkey. His first adventure in the Digital World was in August 2000 when he and Ken are summoned to stop Milleniummon who has already captured the 8 original chosen children in a pocket dimension (the kids never meet Ryo and dont meet Ken until 02) where they meet their partner Monodramon and Wormmon (I despise the notion that V-Mon belonged to Ryo first) using the crest of kindness and desire Ken and Ryo manage to evolve their digimon up to their perfect levels of Dinobeemon and Cyberdramon and defeat Milleniummon one of his dark spores embeds itself into Ken's neck. While the original 8 kids are returned safely home a dimensional rift like the one Taichi fell into in episode 20 that took him into Odaiba sends Ryo and Cyberdramon into the Tamers universe. Wormmon takes Ken home. And an ill stricken Ken forgets the adventures happened.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the digital world being a separate existence as a dimension was always apparent, it's just that "This dimension existed forever as a void waiting to be filled with the data of whatever compatible human world" is very rarely relevant or interesting from a world building perspective.
Digimon preceding digital technology is another thing entirely which is quite rare (and even digimon claiming worlds having no prior connection could for example only refer to direct contact or migration, as they are not necessarily aware of their world's origin)... but I think kind of still justifiable.
An appeal to to the infinity of the multiverse could always be made for example; If there are infinitely many dimensions with infinite (or very loosely restricted) possibilities for the contents of each one, then the chance that there is a world out there that by pure coincidence just happens to contain monsters that fit the theme of some human world's technology is not only possible but actually inevitable.
One could further postulate some kind of laws between dimensional connections (as we are in the headcanon thread after all) that would cause dimensions with "fitting" content of information to be more prone to interfere or connect to each other, which would render the similarity accidental but not their eventual connection.

So I think the "older digital world" is an interesting approach to take but one I hope will never become too common since honestly it kind of bastardizes the core concepts of the franchise a bit. The direct connection and dependence between digimon and human world data is something that is still very central to the general profile lore of the franchise and should remain prominent in its other parts.

As far as the nature Xros Wars human and digital world is concerned, there is one problem... the digital world was only split up into zones recently, as the war with the Bagra army began. So if the human world is a normal zone that would mean that until recently the human world was simply a local region of a larger Digital world which would have to contain both Digimon and humans... which is something that neither the anime nor the manga ever acknowledge... of course the Manga has its subconscious memory rewrite plot device but at the same time it also references previous digimon stories as part of ancient legends before the war and yet these stories require the worlds to be separate (unless their crossover counterparts diverged considerably).

Right, but for that IRL theory to work, it would imply that the structure of the universe, down to atoms, are run on a digital construct.
I don't think there's any problem with the human world being digital and no one says that there can only be one kind of digital encoding or one consistent kind of digital behavior. The moment you assume that seemingly "analogue physics" are understandable as discrete values at some scale, they are computable and therefore also the possible output of some computational process. What kind of other "backend" processes such a simulation of reality would need (cellular automata being one possible approach for example) are not exactly relevant as long as the basic framework is digital. Of course Digimon could be working differently, sure, with a more direct way of compiling data but still compatible in the end.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm... You all make some good points about XW's setting being POSSIBLE with the Digital World existing as-is before contact with the Real World.

But it not only requires a MUCH more convoluted explanation for how it works (and that goes against my desire for a more elegant Occam's Razor-based canon), but it also sort of flies in the face of the thematic elements that ties the frachise together: The Digimon. Nearly all of their backstories are based on the idea of interaction between human computer networks and a Digital World, where one sprang forth from the other. It's this connection that makes all of the outlandish absurdity of the Digital World (and the Digimon designs) feel -natural-.

Without it, you just have a coincidentally weird fantasy world. (And no logical reason for why Humans would have any kind of infuence over Digital creatures and their evolution...)

So yeah. The fact that any of these headcanons are even POSSIBLE just makes me kinda hate Xros Wars' setting. So I'm sticking with my own headcanon here.

Out of curiosity: Do any of you actually LIKE the idea of a Pre-Earth Digital World that's randomly generated as coincidentally similar to Earth's data? Or did you just want to point out the flaw in my logic? Cause yeah, if you just want to point out faulty logic, that's fine, you win. But I'd be kinda confused if you actually subscribe to it as thematically appropriate.