Week 1 & 2 Sales Numbers for Adventure 1999-2001 Blu-ray Box, Comparison with other Releases

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

We have first & second week sales for the Digimon Adventure 1999-2001 Blu-ray box thanks to a Baidu user.

This is a box that contains Adventure, 02, and their accompanying films, with no new content (and was advertised strongly as such.)

The box was 4th on the anime Blu-ray charts and sold 2,363 copies.

To compare with prior Digimon Blu-ray releases and their week 1 sales: (in order of charted sales, which can leave off some sales for various reasons)
Adventure- 12,094
Kizuna- 11,534
tri. 2- 9,602
tri. 3- 9,061
tri. 4- 7,780
tri. 1- 6,074
tri. 5- 5,442
Movies (Box with Adventure, 02, Tamers, Frontier, & Savers films)- 5,190
tri. 6- 4,833
Zero-Two- 3,171
Tamers- 2,034
Frontier- 1,058
tri. (2020 box with no new content)- 401

Adventure: 1 & 2- ??? (The weeks of release either chart data can't be found, or Adventure: didn't appear on any charts we can access that gave sales numbers. Based on similar current or recent shows with wide distribution getting BD releases, wherein people are spending money elsewhere, we expect 150 to 400 per box.)

This is a shockingly high number for a box that while 'discounted' was not cheap, and was actively advertised as having no content, and simply reusing existing discs.
It outsold both Tamers & Frontier, both of which were coming to Blu-ray for the first time, advertised as having reasonably good upscales, new audio dramas, and were advertised by staff giving behind the scenes details quite a bit.

With the home video market contrasting and Digimon still getting good numbers, and the franchise generally doing well in product sales, tie in events, etc., it appears we are in a solid place to keep getting Digimon content in an ongoing manner for a good amount of time (hopefully.)

It also shows why Adventure has functionally been the guiding force of much of the the franchise since it started.

In addition, it also charted at number 12 in the second week, which isn't always a given. Expensive boxes are often pre-order releases for people, so it showing up in week 2 wasn't necessarily a given. It added 323 copies in week 2, outcharting the appearance of 2 of the 3 modern Evangelion films (the 4th and final was just released in theaters.)

More info on the set can be found here.

The box is still available to order at CDJapan. (affiliate link)

Attachments

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's no point in me echoing what was said in the OP, but wow this really puts things into perspective lol.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be any way for us to know how well the reboot BDs are performing.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's no point in me echoing what was said in the OP, but wow this really puts things into perspective lol.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be any way for us to know how well the reboot BDs are performing.
I could have sworn I saved an image awhile back showing V1 numbers, but I can't find it, nor can I backtrack to find it, so I assume I imagined it.

The numbers I give as a rough guess are mostly realistic, but numbers could either be wildly higher or lower.

My estimates are based on a number of things, but a few similar shows that might put the estimates into some perspective:
Dragon Ball Super- Began with 660 for week 1 of first volume, ended about 100 higher for the last box.
Kitaro (2018)- Seemed to bounce around roughly 800 to 1000 per box.

I still plan to dig to try and find them if possible, but if not, my estimates are, at worst, reasonable. But they are just guesses/estimates.

It's also worth reiterating, as has been said in the past. Many fans have said the Tamers and Frontier boxes bombed. They did not. They certainly sold less than much of the rest, but they both did fine. It just looks crushing compared to most of the others. Both are solidly within about what you would expect them to do.