Wada Kouji Has Passed Away

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was really sad news to wake up to, while I did start with the dub, I always loved and appreciated the songs that he did for the series and many I still fondly listen to and remember. Knowing that he's passed, and at the age that he has, is very heartbreaking.

RIP Wada Kouji, thank you for the memories and songs that you've provided us over the years.

Togemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is so sad. D: He was so young. While I may have grew up through the dub, after discovering the original anime I fell in love with his music. It was brilliant and catchy. My thoughts are with his family and friends. :( I've spent so much time listening to his music.. he's definitely resonated with me. R.I.P.

Lord Archfiend Kliff

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is certainly a downer, his musics are some of the most memorable tunes I've ever seen and even friends of mine that haven't seen anything Digimon related for 10 years remembered some of his songs, if that isn't a sign of quality I don't know what it is.

Good luck wherever you are.

TheBiggestDreamer

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Imagine seeing this news at the top of my search results when I Googled Digimon. All I could say is "What? No..." over and over again. That so sad to hear since Butterfly is an endearing and powerful song - made more so with the Tri version it's too bad this happened especially since he was clearly still invested with Digimon even though he could have retired due to illness. He will surely be missed.

MagicBox

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Would someone who speaks more fluent Japanese be kind enough to confirm something for me?

I was browsing DREAMUSIC's official listing for the "Seven ~Tri. Version~" single, and I noticed a disclaimer under the track listing.

"和田光司さんのヴォーカルは、2009年に発売した、「Seven~10th Memorial Version~」のものを使用しております。"

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and sorry in advance if I am!), but I think this says that Kōji Wada's vocals for "Seven ~Tri. Version~" were lifted from "Seven ~10th Memorial Version~" from 2009. In other words, he wasn't able to actually record a new version of the song. If that's true, then that would mean that the very last song to feature brand new vocals from Wada was "Butter-Fly ~Tri. Version~" from last year. I think it's very poetic that his final song was a brand new version of the first song he ever released. That's very beautiful.

Anyway... it's hard to put into words how hard this hit me. I can't count how many hours I've poured into his Digimon music. I never really bothered to find translations of most of the songs, and yet I never really felt like I was missing out on anything. That's just how powerful Wada's performances were. I'll definitely be spending my weekend in mourning, with his songs on shuffle. And I'll definitely be putting some of my next paycheck towards getting a couple of his non-Digimon albums as well.

It truly saddens me that one of only a handful of people to be in every single Digimon series will no longer be able to go on these adventures. A truly remarkable talent lost far, far too soon.

Last edited:

cometoruin

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First Paul Gordon and now Wada Kouji...This has been a sad year. :c I loved Wada Kouji's work so much!

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If that's true, then that would mean that the very last song to feature brand new vocals from Wada was "Butter-Fly ~Tri. Version" from last year. I think it's very poetic that his final song was a brand new version of the first song he ever released. That's very beautiful.
Indeed. I am also having deep thoughts about it--- As if he took his final bow in Digimon on where he started all those years ago. It's like he went back home for what his now last hurrah; To finish where he had began. Personally, it's bittersweet and truly very, very beautiful.

Last edited:

CeciliaCrescent

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A thought suddenly occurred to me. What if they dedicate Tri part 3 to him? Takeru wearing his signature white suit and hat, with the sad theme that they said it'll go with and finally Seraphimon, reborn from whatever plot twist that brought out the sad theme, surrounded with butterflies.

I'm still a bit aching from this loss.

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A thought suddenly occurred to me. What if they dedicate Tri part 3 to him? Takeru wearing his signature white suit and hat, with the sad theme that they said it'll go with and finally Seraphimon, reborn from whatever plot twist that brought out the sad theme, surrounded with butterflies.

I'm still a bit aching from this loss.
that's what I'm thinking too cause Joe's VA already said that Confession is gonna be a mellow and sad movie so I guess we'll see an in memoriam tribute to Wada Kouji at the end

VampireAngemon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm without words. Although it wasn't a surprise, his death shocked me very, very deep. I have a recent born baby (4 days old!!!) and happiness overwhelms me now, but his death reminded me of the duality of life and death. It was a real shame we could never got to see you here in Peru (twice his concerts here were cancelled for health issues), but you will always be, along Kageyama-san, the most beloved anison singer here.
You will be sorely missed, Wada-san. Fly with those broken wings of you and become beautiful butterflies on our love.

Spongebond

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sigh first the English Dub's composer and now the beautiful Japanese version's. Terrible. RIP.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is so upsetting. I always thought of Wada Kouji as someone to give me hope because he overcame cancer because I'm going through a lot of health issues myself.

odaibaboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

This very sad news just gave me a reason to come out of lurking mode and make my first post around here. Like everyone else in here, he and his music have a very special place in my heart. When i think back of watching Digimon Adventure back in 2000, i think next to the character design and development the music was probably the very thing that won my heart.

Truly unfair and tragic to see him lose this fight to a disease he and nobody else deserve to suffer under. He will go as a great musician who has touched many hearts though. And he will be remembered trough the beautiful score he created for the franchise over the years. Rest in Peace Mr. Kouji !

------------------
@flintlock: I hope that your health issues will resolve themselves as soon as possible. All my best wishes to you !

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It should be noted that the quotes in that link are only a few of many, there've been tweets from the majority of people who've worked on Digimon (some that come to mind AiM, Kakudou, Volcano Ota, Ayumi Miyazaki, and Watanabe even made a drawing), even the japanese voice actress of Ash tweeted about it https://twitter.com/rica_matsumoto3/status/718678874263977984

Last edited:

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To continue my earlier translations (go a few pages back on this thread and you can find the translations to Kakudou's, Hiroshi Izawa's and Watanabe's Tweets, as well as a summary AiM's), Miyazaki Ayumi has now Tweeted about Wada's death, here's a translation.

Miyazaki Ayumi [Original Tweet]
Without ever letting out a single complaint, together with his passion to continue singing as well as his mental strenght, the brave hero who echoed through out the entire world, dashing through it as a cheerful butterfly, will surely continue to fly eternally within the hearts of his fans. From the bottom of my heart, I feel deep pride to have been able to sing together with him as comrades and as best friends.

Kouji Wada, thank you.

EDIT: Yabuno Ten'ya has also Tweeted something, translating ASAP.

EDIT:

Illustration by Yabuno Ten’ya, originally Tweeted here with the following comment:
Chapter 22 was especially drawn together with Mr. Wada’s singing voice. From the bottom of my heart, I hope you’ll rest peacefully.

Last edited:

Sandra U.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very very sad news.
Thank you Wada Koji for the great songs and everything else you did.
Digimon won't be the same without him.
As long as we keep listening to his songs and remembering him, he always will be alive.
R.I.P. Wada Koji.

krfz41

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you for the translations AliceKaninchenbau.

In addition to those people above I think it's worth mentioning that news reporter Chiaki Matsuzawa who is a big digimon fan made a blog post about this.

Hidenori Chiwata, the composer of Butter-fly, also made a blog post.

From the people working on the new series, Suzuko Mimori (Sora's VA) and Koji Ito (Animation Director) also tweeted about this.