Wada Kouji Has Passed Away

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Wada Kouji, beloved singer and songwriter who has been with the Digimon franchise since Digimon Adventure began has passed away Oricon is reporting.

It's reported that he passed away due to complications from his various bouts with cancer.

He passed April 3rd.

While the funeral was private, there will be a public event in Tokyo later in April.

His various most well known songs were of course, many themes and insert songs from every single bit of the Digimon franchise. He had songs in every anime series the franchise had, and of course, did new versions of Butter-Fly and Seven for tri. part 2. Fans know he did many other songs, including the themesong to Transformers: Car Robots. I'll let everyone comment on songs themselves rather than me just listing them off.

He was well known to happily travel to fan conventions around the world when invited.

He was 42 years old.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And of course the site was itself named after a Wada Kouji song.

I know many people likely would have preferred I write a longer news post, with more details about his battle with cancer (which he fought off twice.) I decided to go a bit shorter since over the coming days we are likely going to talk about this a lot, and something a bit shorter would likely be better for the news post.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RIP I am currently crying while waiting for my tram...thank you for the Digimon music. Touched many of our lives. Digimon will not be the same without you.

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh man... He had a beautiful voice, and was a great person, he will be missed dearly. Hirari, the second opening of Savers is my favorite of his songs.

Angel-kun

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is so sad.... i could take me a photo with him when he came to Mexico... : (

Ketchup17

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm at a loss. He IS Digimon music...

Kazemon15

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
;_;

Two Digimon singers in one year....first Paul Gordon and now the legendary Wada Kouji...

You will be missed....and your songs will always be remembered.

R.I.P., Wada Kouji....you can now soar to your own endless dreams on butter-fly wings...

Last edited:

Lucifer Angel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is really sad to hear I enjoyed listening to his songs.

KerisSiber

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RIP Koji Wada... you are one of the singer give me goosebump when ever i heard his hirari and butter-fly since kids... i cant explain why...but it feel have soul and being put "love" into it....... T.T

man there's 2 important musician figure in digimon adventure us and japan left us...T.T

krfz41

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so sad right now. His music was one of the things that defined digimon for me. Digimon will not be the same without him. Thank you for your music. Thank you for making my childhood better. You will always be remembered.

YoKozo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RIP Wada Kouji.

I discovered the Japanese Digimon series shortly after season 2's English dub ended and fell in love with the music, particularly the opening and ending themes. Wada was a part of the franchise and made a huge impact on me and my interest in Japanese music. He moved me like he moved others and his passing has been devastating news for us (it's trending on Twitter as I'm typing this).

His vocals were truly amazing; the energy in his voice evoked such thrill and adventure that represented the Digimon franchise. I still have been listening to his songs to this day and will continue to. Condolences to his family and friends. He will be deeply missed. Thank you for being a part of ours lives, Wada-san.

Websurfer145

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is really, really sad news. I had heard he had cancer, and that his career had been on hiatus at one point, but after he had performed more excellent songs recently for Digimon Adventure Tri, didn't realize it was still that bad. :(

Rest in peace, he will be missed. He had such a wonderful voice and songs, and to pass away at a relatively young age.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is really, really sad news. I had heard he had cancer, and that his career had been on hiatus at one point, but after he had performed more excellent songs recently for Digimon Adventure Tri, didn't realize it was still that bad. :(

If I'm remembering correct...

He had actually beaten cancer twice.

I believe the early bits of this round is why he wasn't at DigiFes last year and had provided a letter to be read.

ShikaSS

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really sad news. A big loss for every Digimon fan.
You'll be missed, rest in peace.

He had actually beaten cancer twice.
Yeah, he beat cancer twice, once between 2003 and 2011, and another between 2011 and 2013.

Crazy_Tai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
RIP Wada Kouji. First Paul Gordon and now Wada Kouji. Been a bad year for musicians and Digimon Fans :(

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very saddening to hear, his songs have left a great impact on a lot of people and he will definitely be missed :( I still remember watching Digimon on tv as a kid and singing along to the theme songs enthusiastically..
It's quite saddening to think that he won't be around to see the whole of tri as well, the anniversary work of his debut.
Not very sure how to put this into words, but I'm grateful not only for the impact his songs have had on the franchise, but also the lives of the fans as well and I hope he rests in peace.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I log into WtW from my college, and I see this. I never expected Kouji-senpai to pass away so early. He had such a long life ahead of him. I was expecting him to do a new version of Target for tri. part 3. Not only the Digimon fandom and franchise, but my life will never be the same without him. And my collegemates will never understand why I'm crying. RIP :'(

Last edited:

Witherjay

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can't believe it. This kind of stuff always comes out of no where. He will be remembered as someone who helped all our biggest dreams come true.