Vital Bracelet FAQ- Includes Various Info for Tech, App, Requirements, etc.

jfred

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I understand why people are disappointed about the Dim cards being single-use, but I sure hope no one's surprised about it. If they weren't single-use, people could just buy one of each to share among their friends and Bandai would lose out on a lot of money. At least, in Japan anyway, where statistically, you're much more likely to live near/come across other people who also have a Vital Bracelet... or even know what Digimon is.
I feel like it would be fine if they were usable across multiple pets but your progress was saved on the DIM card. After all, then loaning one to your friend is also loaning them your save data. That's personal enough that IMO it would discourage sharing them just as much.

I'm disappointed by this but I think I'll still keep my pre-order. I'm less likely to buy any more DIM cards now though, or to ever buy a second device (since apparently I'd need to re-buy any of the DIM cards too if I wanted them there... no thanks).

Loke

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guess we're going to have to hope that our bracelets don't just randomly lose their data or break down. It's not like electronics are built to last more than a year anyway not sure what we were really expecting in regards to these dim cards.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All that makes a lot of sense. And this could be released in the US or other countries. So those are probably region locked if possible.

ProdigiousPlays

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All that makes a lot of sense. And this could be released in the US or other countries. So those are probably region locked if possible.
Do you mean the DIM? I'll be surprised if they are. It's more so to prevent sharing between kids at school or over the web (4 bucks in postage is cheaper than 15+ for one). I can see a world where it'll still work to add in the same data.

Actually now that I say that my thing is I'm not sure if they'll communicate with the app easily....

Jacq

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That battery life is horrible for the type of device this was meant to be. I was willing to deal with a lot of downgrades from my current cheapie fitbit (with the assumption it would be compatible with google fit and other 3rd party apps that sync with trackers), for the sake of having a digimon vpet attached. But not even being able to last 24 hours on a single charge? Not able to be used in the rain? The DRM is just icing on the disappointment cake.

It's really just a goofy kids toy pretending to be a fitness tracker. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up lol.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I understand that people are upset about the info that came out. But this is meant to be a 'Fitbit Digimon Toy' rather than a proper fitbit. Aka it's really a game.

They really are covering themselves by saying it isn't waterproof. That is a standard marketing legal thing (and in my past work life as a marketeer, safest bet for them to say it now than later). Afterall, if you drop it in water and it doesnt work 'well no-one told me it wasn't waterproof' is not gonna cut it.

I would be willing to safely bet that it will be sweat proof. (The Pokemon Go Plus isn't waterproof if I recall, guess what, mine still works even with sweat!)

The DIM's being single use was something I suspected. Again for a marketing POV, it stops you sharing them with friends etc who don't shell out for them. And again I don't blame them with how users were already talking in previous posts (which were removed) on trying to get around it.

jfred

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The DIM's being single use was something I suspected. Again for a marketing POV, it stops you sharing them with friends etc who don't shell out for them. And again I don't blame them with how users were already talking in previous posts (which were removed) on trying to get around it.
Right, I'm not surprised (DRM seems to pop up just about everywhere now), just really disappointed. This is going to wreck the secondhand market for these things, which I'm particularly sad about because I've bought the vast majority of my Digimon electronics used - that's how I started my collection of Japanese digivices and v-pets. People won't be able to buy and sell their used DIMs separately without them becoming basically worthless, so if you missed out when they first shipped and want a particular combination of DIMs... better find new stock or you're just out of luck I guess? Feels like a big corporate middle finger to everyone who got started buying these things used like I did.

cool potato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Right, I'm not surprised (DRM seems to pop up just about everywhere now), just really disappointed. This is going to wreck the secondhand market for these things, which I'm particularly sad about because I've bought the vast majority of my Digimon electronics used - that's how I started my collection of Japanese digivices and v-pets. People won't be able to buy and sell their used DIMs separately without them becoming basically worthless, so if you missed out when they first shipped and want a particular combination of DIMs... better find new stock or you're just out of luck I guess? Feels like a big corporate middle finger to everyone who got started buying these things used like I did.
DIMS retail for 1700 yen a pair - that's plenty affordable even for someone who frequents the used device market.

Since they're general release products they'll be readily available too - that will keep the price from inflating drastically.

If anything that should help everybody. The Digimon toy market is so expensive because of their usually limited availability.

Jacq

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My disappointment with the DIMs being single-use is less about the DRM aspect (though that IS a little annoying), and more about the planet. Surely there's a better way to handle that in 2021 than producing a bunch of single-use plastic electronics that are hard to recycle. I hope they also have digital options that are tied to the app, as well.

Dusky1607

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My disappointment with the DIMs being single-use is less about the DRM aspect (though that IS a little annoying), and more about the planet. Surely there's a better way to handle that in 2021 than producing a bunch of single-use plastic electronics that are hard to recycle. I hope they also have digital options that are tied to the app, as well.
I dont know about others but i will be keeping mine as proof of purchase and i think they are cool collectables. I hope if anything goes wrong i might be able to take a picture of my dims or somehow prove i purchased them so bandai could help me get my dims back if something does go wrong.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, i dont approve of the way they did it either, wish they had made this all easier and less stressful.

Last edited:

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s worse than that, all of this could’ve been avoided by it being a Fitbit app

AKluthe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It’s worse than that, all of this could’ve been avoided by it being a Fitbit app
They don't want to sell an app to the subset of Fitbit owners that care about Digimon and virtual pets.

This is from Bandai's toy division. Their goal is to sell a stand-alone toy, and sell other collectible toys to go with it.

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't believe Bandai ever intended for this children's toy to replace anyone's fitbit or smartwatch so I don't know why people are trying to make this out to be a fitness device when it's nothing more than a Virtual Pet with a fitness gimmick. I thought the little "History of V-Pets" trailer they threw together would have really drove that point home, each V-pet has a little extra gimmick to it that makes it unique, nobody was assuming the D-scanner was going to replace bar code scanners.

Also since its a kids toy, I am willing to bet its durable enough to withstand some form of punishment and is most likely sweat proof (unless you sweat a gross amount) probably don't want to wear it in the rain though without some kind of protection.