USA Digimon Adventure tri. Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Annoucement

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shout! Factory have acquired the North American distribution rights for Digimon Adventure tri. Parts 1 to 3. Shout! Factory are planning to release on both Blu-ray and DVD, along with digital. It will have both English and Japanese audio.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Part 1 is due to be released this year. No date has been confirmed so far. Manga UK has currently scheduled the UK version of tri. on disk for March 20th, 2017.

Manga UK have previously said that contractually they have to release their disk of tri. part 1 after the USA disk is released.

Thanks to ANN for the news

Update- Here is the press release courtesy of Shout. Shout also sent along a very large version of the English tri. key art (same art as above.) It's extremely large and has been added to the gallery.

Shout! Factory, a multi-platform media company, and Toei Animation Inc. announced a new multi-picture deal to bring Toei Animation’s highly popular action-adventure anime film series, DIGIMON ADVENTURE tri. to the home entertainment marketplace. The announcement was made today by Shout! Factory’s founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos; and Masayuki Endo, President of Toei Animation Inc.

This new multi-year alliance provides Shout! Factory with exclusive North American broadcast and home entertainment distribution rights to the first three feature-length movies (boasting English voice cast) from the DIGIMON ADVENTURE tri. film series, including DVD, Blu-ray™ which will also include the original Japanese audio with English subtitles, and electronic sell-through digital rights. Shout! Factory plans a strategic rollout of the new films, beginning with the first movie, DIGIMON ADVENTURE tri REUNION on home entertainment shelves this year.

“We’re incredibly excited about this opportunity with Toei Animation. Digimon continues to stand as an enduring global pop culture phenomenon. We look forward to bringing these highly entertaining and immersive movies to anime fans and families,” said Melissa Boag, Senior Vice President of Kids & Family Entertainment at Shout! Factory.

“Shout! Factory is an exceptional partner as we prepare to share the exciting new chapter of the Digimon saga with our fans across North America,” said Masayuki Endo, President of Toei Animation Inc. “DIGIMON ADVENTURE tri REUNION not only reunites Digimon’s talented cast and beloved characters, it reconnects the series with a generation of viewers, and perhaps even their children, who can’t wait to follow the adventure into a new era.”

Produced by Toei Animation, DIGIMON ADVENTURE tri REUNION is DIGIMON’s first feature-length film since 2000 and has already delighted audiences and loyal fans across Japan. This film reunites the characters and original cast from the classic television series.

Toei Animation has revamped this wildly popular anime movie for North American audiences by bringing onboard a stellar English voice cast. Joshua Seth, who voiced the main character Tai Kamiya in the original series, returns to the role for this feature film, alongside an exciting team of voice talent and DIGIMON luminaries, including Colleen O’Shaughnessey (Toy Story 3) as Sora Takenouchi, Mona Marshall (South Park) as Izzy Izumi, Philece Sampler (The Legend of Korra) as Mimi Tachikawa, Tom Fahn (Digimon: Digital Monsters) as Agumon, Kirk Thornton (Sonic Boom) as Garurumon, Jeff Nimoy (Digimon Data Squad) as Tentomon and Kabuterimon, Melodee Spevack (Digimon: Digital Monsters) as Birdramon, and Dave Mallow (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) as Angemon.

DIGIMON ADVENTURE tri. — REUNION picks up when the beloved Digimon Adventure 2002 series ended. It's been six years since that summer adventure when Tai (now in high school) and the rest of the “DigiDestined” crossed over to the Digital World, and nearly three years since the frenzied final battles between warring factions. With the gate to the Digital World closed, time continues to pass, until the adventure “digi-volves” once again.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, is Shout "replacing" Elevenarts for distributing?

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks, guys!

MagnaAngemonn

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This probably means none of the Digimon Films after Saikai will be in theatres. It'll be straight to DVD which I'm fine with.

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Kai32

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
so wait toei decided to go with shout factory and not Flatiron Film Company who currently have the dvd right to the Digimon TV anime in the usa

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For once, I'm actually tempted to buy something, though I bet the subtitles will have the same sprinkling of incorrect names and terms.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cleaned up the news post a bit.

Also added the PR and a massive version of the key art to the gallery.

Apashi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Both English and Japanese audio". I believe this is a first. Fantastic news! I can't wait to see what all the packaging looks like and the release dates. I wonder what this means for more theatrical releases now though. I hope they keep that too. It was so much fun to see it in a theater.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay! So we should be able to get all of these. ...Boxset? That would be nice.

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Both English and Japanese audio". I believe this is a first. Fantastic news! I can't wait to see what all the packaging looks like and the release dates. I wonder what this means for more theatrical releases now though. I hope they keep that too. It was so much fun to see it in a theater.
Manga UK announced that first

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Manga UK announced that first
Stop trying to correct people when it isn't necessary please.

You tried correcting me when I pointed out there was never a reason for Eleven Arts to 'say' anything about the home release because they aren't in that business.

Then you corrected Apashi when it doesn't matter if Manga UK announced it first, because we are talking about an American release.

What the UK gets isn't strictly relevant to what the US gets because we've had different releases in the past. Our release could be identical to the UK release, or insanely different.

This probably means none of the Digimon Films after Saikai will be in theatres. It'll be straight to DVD which I'm fine with.
This has nothing to do with the theatrical.

Whether Toei planned to do them all theatrical, or just wanted the marketing muscle from part 1 being in theaters we don't know.

Having a home video distributor may or may not change future plans.

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd still love for future theater showings myself.

I was in Vegas, Warm Springs area (IIRC) on 9/15. Would've loved to go, but my manual labor was needed, and I didn't particularly have the money at the time, either.

Still, I do hope the theater list is bigger, and with "normal" ticket prices.

Kataphrut

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice. Feels like we've been waiting forever for an official release of the dub outside the limited theatrical run, so this is great news.

Hope there isn't much delay between the DVD/Blu-ray release and the dub being made available on streaming services.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice. Feels like we've been waiting forever for an official release of the dub outside the limited theatrical run, so this is great news.

Hope there isn't much delay between the DVD/Blu-ray release and the dub being made available on streaming services.
Just to clarify in case anyone is confused.

Shout only announced they have EST digital rights. These are the rights for selling/renting on digital services (Vudu, iTunes, etc.)

This is different than the rights for streaming services (it's possible Shout has these and it isn't being announced, but more than likely these are more complicated since Toei has been giving out tri. streaming licenses subbed to multiple services.)