Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This isn't unpopular with me. And I think she might be cutest female looking Digimon period.
Agreed. I want a figuarts or such of her.
I do feel like it’s a shame Digimon has nothing on the horizon television-wise that isn’t tied to the original series.
Well, we dunno what's coming after Adventure:. There are still more than 30 episodes left in that engine's tank.
Hopefully we will get an 02 continuation of Tri that brings closure to the Adventure/02 timeline.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Not sure about that but we'll see. I'm pretty sure it's a different universe.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure how unpopular this is but I still believe Bandai was better served turning Tri. into a full season which could've served the purpose of appealing to longtime fans again while potentially drawing in a newer audience at the same time. To me there was enough material in the ideas/themes that Tri. brought up for 50 episodes if they'd delved into those fully and expanded upon other things.

The slice-of-life element that we saw early on and subsequent comedy that came of it was actually a nice touch, and I think it would've worked fine in Tri. had the pacing of the story been better throughout. In this regard I would've liked to see how the older Chosen Children tackled some of the challenges associated with maturing into early adulthood. Perhaps there was an opportunity to include a bit more character drama outside of simply fighting to save the world - how do they balance wanting more independence vs. obeying parental authority? Though not a romance-first series, how do they deal with teenage/puppy love (like Jou and his mysterious girlfriend for instance)? How do they reconcile with the fact that they're all slowly drifting apart as they get older and have their own hobbies/interests to pursue?

Had this series been longer there would've been more room to give the younger Chosen (namely Daisuke, Miyako, Takeru and Hikari) the character development they never really got in 02. A surprisingly large number of people were upset at their being sidelined the way they were in Tri. and to me there was room for them in any full-length Adventure sequel.

The reveal of two members of the very first generation of Chosen was one of my favourite parts about Tri. I like that they picked up on this little part of the backstory and made use of it, and wish they'd gone even further into this particular part of history involving them and the Four Holy Beasts.

A plot featuring Yggdrasil maybe could've worked but I always felt the way Tri. introduced it was so very random. It was interesting that they chose to bring Adventure closer to the null canon of the card games though. If we consider the Real World, how many other adults - other than Daigo/Maki and co., Oikawa and Iori's dad - were aware of the existence of the Digital World? Depending on their goals and intentions, maybe this would've sowed the seeds for a larger conflict between humans and Digimon.

Another smaller thing that Adventure alluded to was the existence of other worlds, which we saw in the Dark Ocean and that world of dreams. This has always been a fantasy series and to me dimensional travel would've opened up a lot of doors for other subplots. I would've loved to see them exploring more of the lore and fully introduce the idea of Witchelny into the story instead of leaving it as background material.

There was also potential to really mix it up and include a bit of horror in the series which could've been a rare first for Digimon - especially with Dagomon and his creepy minions - which saddens me as we never saw that expanded upon. There's a fair bit of Lovecraftian influence in the franchise already, so why not make use of it?

There was a lot of good ideas that Tri. brought up; I just didn't think they necessarily made the best use of them. IMO they went a little too safe with the sequel instead of taking a chance on trying new things.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure how unpopular this is but I still believe Bandai was better served turning Tri. into a full season which could've served the purpose of appealing to longtime fans again while potentially drawing in a newer audience at the same time. To me there was enough material in the ideas/themes that Tri. brought up for 50 episodes if they'd delved into those fully and expanded upon other things.

The slice-of-life element that we saw early on and subsequent comedy that came of it was actually a nice touch, and I think it would've worked fine in Tri. had the pacing of the story been better throughout. In this regard I would've liked to see how the older Chosen Children tackled some of the challenges associated with maturing into early adulthood. Perhaps there was an opportunity to include a bit more character drama outside of simply fighting to save the world - how do they balance wanting more independence vs. obeying parental authority? Though not a romance-first series, how do they deal with teenage/puppy love (like Jou and his mysterious girlfriend for instance)? How do they reconcile with the fact that they're all slowly drifting apart as they get older and have their own hobbies/interests to pursue?

Had this series been longer there would've been more room to give the younger Chosen (namely Daisuke, Miyako, Takeru and Hikari) the character development they never really got in 02. A surprisingly large number of people were upset at their being sidelined the way they were in Tri. and to me there was room for them in any full-length Adventure sequel.

The reveal of two members of the very first generation of Chosen was one of my favourite parts about Tri. I like that they picked up on this little part of the backstory and made use of it, and wish they'd gone even further into this particular part of history involving them and the Four Holy Beasts.

A plot featuring Yggdrasil maybe could've worked but I always felt the way Tri. introduced it was so very random. It was interesting that they chose to bring Adventure closer to the null canon of the card games though. If we consider the Real World, how many other adults - other than Daigo/Maki and co., Oikawa and Iori's dad - were aware of the existence of the Digital World? Depending on their goals and intentions, maybe this would've sowed the seeds for a larger conflict between humans and Digimon.

Another smaller thing that Adventure alluded to was the existence of other worlds, which we saw in the Dark Ocean and that world of dreams. This has always been a fantasy series and to me dimensional travel would've opened up a lot of doors for other subplots. I would've loved to see them exploring more of the lore and fully introduce the idea of Witchelny into the story instead of leaving it as background material.

There was also potential to really mix it up and include a bit of horror in the series which could've been a rare first for Digimon - especially with Dagomon and his creepy minions - which saddens me as we never saw that expanded upon. There's a fair bit of Lovecraftian influence in the franchise already, so why not make use of it?

There was a lot of good ideas that Tri. brought up; I just didn't think they necessarily made the best use of them. IMO they went a little too safe with the sequel instead of taking a chance on trying new things.
This would have made the series amazing, and avoided Applimonsters overshadowing it as a forgotten gem compared to the divisive Tri. Speaking of Applimonsters, I want to have Mienumon get a proper God grade. I find it weird there were no female God-grade Appmon. There’s feminine ones on the other levels. Also, I want to have Mienumon avaliable in a vpet, or in a new game alongside other Digimon species.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So personally, I like to romanize プラチナヌメモン "Purachinanumemon" as PlatinaNumemon. The Reference Book spells it with "Platinum", but I never really got why (especially when they use PlatinaSukamon). Incidentally, the same thing's the case with Star Platinum in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I can get that プラチナ "purachina" is just Japan's word for the metal, but it still seems odd that they'll romanize it with the M regardless.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

In terms of storyline potential maybe - in terms of money though? nah, six movies make so much more money than a TV series. Tri as six movies would make a ridiculously amount more than if it were a TV show. A Tri TV Show woudn't really make much - for TV shows the money is in the merch, but with movies they could sell tickets and managed to get three years of merch sales out of it.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could have liked it to be a series. That could have been fun. Don't we kind of treat it as a 3rd season anyway? Also, yes. Female Appmon. Hey, it could have made Ai more useful that might have been cool.

Darklabo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
- Adventure is the most overrated season.
The characters are nice but are far from being the most interesting of the series.
The story is not good, the heroes just keep on fighting against stronger and stronger opponents for no real reason.
The rhythm suffers from it, it's quite bad too.

- Looking back, I consider 02 to be better than season 1.
The characters aren't necessarily better, but they're fewer in number, which avoids having to deal with extras (I'm talking about you, Joe).
And above all the arcs are really different from each other and tell a story, it's not just about "beating the Boss of the zone before moving on to the next level".

- I prefer Magnadramon over Ophanimon.
Specifically, I like the design of Ophanimon.
But in the context of Adventure ( 02/Tri), I find that Ophanimon is redundant with Seraphimon and doesn't bring anything unique, unlike Magnadramon.

- I find the Takeru x Hikari ship boring.
Certainly one of the worst in the history of fiction.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The characters aren't necessarily better, but they're fewer in number, which avoids having to deal with extras (I'm talking about you, Joe).
Until Ken joins the team and basically takes over Takeru’s relationships, personality, and arc.

odaibaboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Until Ken joins the team and basically takes over Takeru’s relationships, personality, and arc.
THANK YOU FOR POINTING THIS OUT! This has always bothered me a lot. Takeru's dynamic as Daisukes Lancer and the angst involving losing your partner was given to Ken. I like Ken, but they really did Takeru dirty in the second half of 02. There are still sweet and profound between the lines moments for him, but he truly did not get the attention a love such a classic and multifaceted character really deserved.

And Sora. Justice for Sora please. What a disservice to such a powerful character.

Darklabo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ken's arc is better than Takeru's, so it didn't bother me more than that.

By the way, I add:
- The Beast Spirit Digimon should always be considered as Adults Levels, I would never understand how they were ever given the Perfect level.
And therefore, the Fusion Spirit Digimon should be considered as Perfect.

- Super-Ultimate Level should be recognized in all Digimon media.

- I find that the power of the Royal Knights is overrated, the reality is that they rarely win their fights.
And with the exception of Jesmon GX (and maybe Imperialdramon PM and Dukemon CM), I think they are all pretty far from the top-tier of the franchise in terms of strength.

- Veemon's evolutionary lineage in 02 is his best.
All his evolutions are great and Imperialdramon Fighter Mode is Veemon's visual climax.
Wormmon on the other hand, let's just say that he is a bit overshadowed by the Dragon side of Veemon's evolutions. Creating a Mega for Dinobeemon wouldn't be a bad thing.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Grankuwagamon is already that. They basically have all the same features.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
- The Beast Spirit Digimon should always be considered as Adults Levels, I would never understand how they were ever given the Perfect level.
I do agree that the Beasts should be viewed more as counterparts to the Humans (which are typically seen as Adult equivalents), as opposed to being a straight upgrade. However, the strength of Fusion Hybrids does get a little muddied when their descriptions claim them to have "transcended legend", implying that the two Spirits managed to fuse in a way that they're even more powerful than their original whole, the Ancient Digimon (which, of course, are all Ultimates).

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
By the way, I add:
I don't agree with this. I know people want everything to have a gaugable level for uniformity, but I don't think there's anything wrong with some exceptions following their own thing like they are meant to be like Appmon and the Frontier Spirits. The way Spirits work and their power-scaling that comes with it is just not fully translatable properly, evident of all the continuous arguments surrounding them everytime.

That said, levels aren't necessarily evident of power levels. Like, there are plenty of high-tier Perfects who are stronger than some Ultimates.

On that note, I think wanting to gauge everything through levels and bind everything to levels is... not necessary? It makes things way too rigid. Yes, you ened to have some sort of grasp for power scaling, but like this, I feel it becomes way too rigid and boring.

And with the exception of Jesmon GX (and maybe Imperialdramon PM and Dukemon CM), I think they are all pretty far from the top-tier of the franchise in terms of strength.
While I think Jesmon is a really cool design, I absolutely hate how it gets treated/handled. It gets put on a pedestal by pretty much every media and keeps getting more and more. What's next? Jesmon becomes the God of multiple Digital Worlds? I can understand they want a cool 'new-gen posterchild' for the RKs to spice things up but this is just a bit too much.

On that note, RK stinky! This post is made by the Olympos gang!

PCN24454

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always disliked how common Ultimate (Mega)-levels have become. They shouldn't just appear in the Wild; the arrival of an Ultimate should be special since not every Digimon will be able to achieve it. I liked how Mega-level in the original series was achieved by some special power. It made sure that the writers couldn't just spam it out whenever they felt it was necessary.

I prefer the V-Pet games like Digimon World since their gameplay is far more unique than most RPGs.

I dislike SlashAngemon being an Ultimate for Shakkoumon because it's explicitly inferior to Seraphimon. It's basically fans telling Shakkoumon that they hate it.

The reason why I dislike the franchise "growing up" is that it's mostly aesthetic rather than having any genuine meaning. It's mostly for people that are too embarrassed to be liking a Kid's series. That being said, the protagonists from the original animes were often too mature to be 10-year olds. What makes it funny is that the adult characters often come off more whiny and immature because of this.

The OG cast's abilities feel very unremarkable considering how they're supposed to be Chosen ones. Almost all of the abilities that they have will become pretty much standard throughout the franchise. That's probably why I loved the 02 cast so much. They actually had special advantages to be Chosen ones.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dislike SlashAngemon being an Ultimate for Shakkoumon because it's explicitly inferior to Seraphimon. It's basically fans telling Shakkoumon that they hate it.
Actually there's two instances of Seraphimon evolving *into* slashangemon. digimon heroes and this trading card:

so that seems to indicate slashangemon is considered stronger than seraphimon

SparkGold

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reason why I dislike the franchise "growing up" is that it's mostly aesthetic rather than having any genuine meaning. It's mostly for people that are too embarrassed to be liking a Kid's series.
by franchise do you mean just the anime or the video games as well? I thought the Cyber Sleuth games were appealing to the older demographic while not forgetting a potential younger demographic well and Tri, Kazuna, Next Order, and Pendulum Z are meant to be nostalgia bait as kind of the whole point

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Actually there's two instances of Seraphimon evolving *into* slashangemon. digimon heroes and this trading card:

From a lore standpoint, Powers are of a lower rank than Seraphim.

Then again, the top dog isn’t always guaranteed to be the strongest.
Defo not with all the times Seraphimon has lost. Two of those times being against a Champion Digimon

PCN24454

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

From a lore standpoint, Powers are of a lower rank than Seraphim.

Then again, the top dog isn’t always guaranteed to be the strongest.
Defo not with all the times Seraphimon has lost. Two of those times being against a Champion Digimon
Are you counting Mercuremon as a Champion? Hybrid levels have always been outside the typical Power Structure. Besides, attack reflection is always OP.

The 02 team already has an Angel Mega. Two if you count Ophanimon rather than Holydramon. Vikemon fills the Water niche.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes, human is generally seen as champion except in recent vpets where it's rookie.

If seraphimon was strong enough the attack would kill him without being able to reflect it.