Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll stick with my headcanon that these Digimon literally can't be detached from their DigiXrosed equipment due to some kind of invisible force keeping them together.
If we’re going off the assumption that Digixroses are going to be used as Jogresses going forward then there’s an actual in-universe reason for why weapon class Digixroses can’t be discarded by the Digimon wielding them: The DigiCores of the weapon and operator have been fused into a single one.

The best comparison would be RagnaLordmon since their body was formed by the fusion of Durandamon and BryweLudramon’s DigiCores in the image of a warrior that both imagined would be capable of wielding them while the two components' own original bodies assume weapon form and coordinate with RagnaLordmon.

Alternatively Alphamon Ouryuken where Ouryumon’s DigiCore fused with Alphamon's own while the former's body became the Ouryuken that the latter wields.

This would also explain why SkullKnightmon Cavier Mode is treated as its own species since otherwise it’s just SkullKnightmon riding DeadlyAxemon.
Interesting point. Come to think of it, aside from an invisible force, I could also picture it working like, if ShoutmonX4 tossed the Star Sword away, a new Star Sword would manifest in its hands because the Digicore (that Starmon and the Pickmons are now a part of) would need to re-form that portion of its "body"...... but then again, as much as this would make sense within the "Digimon are data" context, it's not as if there haven't been Digimon who lost a "bodypart" before (Tailmon's Holy Ring being a major example).

Still, it would be pretty amusing if DeadlyAxemon was "killed" due to a well-targeted snipe attack or something..... data dispersed and everything.... and SkullKnightmon's pretty much like "no biggie" as DeadlyAxemon seemingly revives underneath him.

Last edited:

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could see Shoutmon + Star Sword being stronger that Shoutmon holding a Star Sword under the jogressed digicore explanation. I think it solves that issue of "how is this a DigiXros?" very well

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I gotta say, I'm pretty amazed at how much Shoutmon+Star Sword intrigues me solely on the basis of "How the hell is this even a unique Digimon?" XD

BeelzebumonBlastMode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What annoys me about the Digimon Franchise is just the lack of official information on Digimon and the resulting fandom's over reliance on wikis. I mean the most basic thing Bandai could do is have a complete official list of Digimon. We have the reference book but its not complete (although frustratingly close to it) with Digimon like Moonmon having existed for 15 years and having appeared in recent media (the Adventure 2020 anime) but still not in the closest thing we have to an official list.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What annoys me about the Digimon Franchise is just the lack of official information on Digimon and the resulting fandom's over reliance on wikis. I mean the most basic thing Bandai could do is have a complete official list of Digimon. We have the reference book but its not complete (although frustratingly close to it) with Digimon like Moonmon having existed for 15 years and having appeared in recent media (the Adventure 2020 anime) but still not in the closest thing we have to an official list.

Even Bandai staff rely on fan wikis lmao Habu has mentioned having to use them due to Bandai themselves having lack of info about certain stuff.

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[QUOTE="Muur, post: 429860, member: 6668”]
Even Bandai staff rely on fan wikis lmao Habu has mentioned having to use them due to Bandai themselves having lack of info about certain stuff.
[/QUOTE]
Haha, that reminds me of how when the Ultra series started to return to mainstream around 2014 the onscreen information about certain kaiju was just direct copy pasted from the English wikia my brother made, typos and all.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[QUOTE="Muur, post: 429860, member: 6668”]
Haha, that reminds me of how when the Ultra series started to return to mainstream around 2014 the onscreen information about certain kaiju was just direct copy pasted from the English wikia my brother made, typos and all.
[/QUOTE]

Lmao you got links to this?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A couple of series use the biggest wikis. It keeps better records then most companies. Sometimes people on the wiki work for the actual series. A few times.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
unpopular opinion: from time to time, I see a sentiment a lot that people wish the Digimon IP was sold to a different company than Bandai. I personally don't agree with this as I feel as though Digimon these last few years has seen a massive glow up in all of its different medias from the anime to the v-pets to the video games (unfortunately we had a bad hiccup but it's coming back) and especially the card game. The only place I feel it's truly lacking is merchandise outside of Japan.

A lot of people I feel are hung up on Digimon's rocky and inconsistent past but when I consider the franchise's chaotic history, I feel like Bandai's modern Digimon team are actually doing a really amazing job with streamlining the franchise to be way more consistent going forward and way less confusing to new fans while simultaneously respecting each and every facet of the brand's history, opting to acknowledge tricky lore like Spirit Evolutions and DigiXrosses and bring them into the current day alongside all the other past established concepts and Digimon. From all the public faces we've seen working on any facet of the Digimon franchise these last few years, you can tell just from the way they talk that there's a lot of thought and love and care going into every department of the franchise and I really don't think Digimon would be Digimon anymore if another company bought it and did away with these teams.

Also, to be honest, when anybody says "if I owned the franchise" it's almost always followed with something that makes me immediately think "wow, I am so glad you're not working on this franchise"

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
unpopular opinion: from time to time, I see a sentiment a lot that people wish the Digimon IP was sold to a different company than Bandai. I personally don't agree with this as I feel as though Digimon these last few years has seen a massive glow up in all of its different medias from the anime to the v-pets to the video games (unfortunately we had a bad hiccup but it's coming back) and especially the card game. The only place I feel it's truly lacking is merchandise outside of Japan.

A lot of people I feel are hung up on Digimon's rocky and inconsistent past but when I consider the franchise's chaotic history, I feel like Bandai's modern Digimon team are actually doing a really amazing job with streamlining the franchise to be way more consistent going forward and way less confusing to new fans while simultaneously respecting each and every facet of the brand's history, opting to acknowledge tricky lore like Spirit Evolutions and DigiXrosses and bring them into the current day alongside all the other past established concepts and Digimon. From all the public faces we've seen working on any facet of the Digimon franchise these last few years, you can tell just from the way they talk that there's a lot of thought and love and care going into every department of the franchise and I really don't think Digimon would be Digimon anymore if another company bought it and did away with these teams.

Also, to be honest, when anybody says "if I owned the franchise" it's almost always followed with something that makes me immediately think "wow, I am so glad you're not working on this franchise"

I think they just need better QA to make localisation more consistent but also Japanese stuff more consistent and accurate too. Way too much stuff is spelled incorrectly by Bandai Japan and even they're inconsistent a lot (blucomon with four different official translations from Bandai Japan).

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they just need better QA to make localisation more consistent but also Japanese stuff more consistent and accurate too. Way too much stuff is spelled incorrectly by Bandai Japan and even they're inconsistent a lot (blucomon with four different official translations from Bandai Japan).
I definitely agree to this. They seem to be making an attempt at being consistent in English but in a few rare instances that does do things like consistently giving us names like "Varodurumon" ( :sick: ).
There was also the recently released EX-03 where 23 cards were errata'ed after they released the English version of that set.
I don't really blame them too much as I believe the card game localizers are genuinely trying their best but it does show that maybe they need to invest more in their localization for Digimon. Also, Survive had quite a few notable text errors

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I definitely agree to this. They seem to be making an attempt at being consistent in English but in a few rare instances that does do things like consistently giving us names like "Varodurumon" ( :sick: ).
There was also the recently released EX-03 where 23 cards were errata'ed after they released the English version of that set.
I don't really blame them too much as I believe the card game localizers are genuinely trying their best but it does show that maybe they need to invest more in their localization for Digimon. Also, Survive had quite a few notable text errors
English has been doing a lot better than Japanese as of late tbh. When was the last time a Digimon got into the DRB that didn't get retconned a few days later. They can't even get Guardromon Gold spelled right, with it being Gardromon Gold in the DRB, even tho the original has been there for 20 years as Guardromon and they can't even spell the name of the female lead of Ghost Game right and when the English card first spelled it right as Ruri they put out a correction to spell it as Ruli shorlty afterwards prob told by Bandai Japan that Ruri is wrong even tho it's not. Then there's stuff like Yammamon, RagnaLoardmon, Huckmon, and Bulucomon that the English seem to be made to use due to Bandai Japan seemingly insisting that's what they are when they're clearly not correct.

Then there's names spelled wrong they fix later, screwing English over like with Galgomon/Gargomon and LoaderLiomon/Leomon where it's too late for English but barely matters for Japanese. Japan has made more of a mess lately than localisations.

As for Varodurumon at least they've used that consistently for 15 years, and Valdurmon is wrong as well anyway when it's from the Baldr so should be Baldrmon/Baldurmon so it's not like Valdurmon is right anyway. My issue there is they use the name Chaodmon Valdur Arm. If you're using Varodurumon, call it Varoduru Arm like god damn.

The recent Dragon/Angel thing in the card game is firstly unfair on the English language itself but also shouldn't have happened when it took fans a few seconds to realise the issue. If I was the one loalcalising the cards I would've mad the same mistake...had the fans not said 5000 times what the issue was already. Pay more attention to the fans, Bandai. Though fans did have an issue of combining types together like the two mutants, two aliens, two unknowns etc when they're actually different types. At least English noticed that, unlike fans.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for Varodurumon at least they've used that consistently for 15 years, and Valdurmon is wrong as well anyway when it's from the Baldr so should be Baldrmon/Baldurmon so it's not like Valdurmon is right anyway. My issue there is they use the name Chaodmon Valdur Arm. If you're using Varodurumon, call it Varoduru Arm like god damn.

Valdr means ruler. It's not named after the god. There's a similarity that may be intentional (like with Lucemon), but it's a different etymology.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I don't have any hand-on experience with the V-pets, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't help wondering: were Viruses conceived as the Pendulums' answer to Numemon? I mean, you typically get them if you make a lot of care mistakes, and they've got a straight-up type disadvantage against Vaccines, the attribute you'll typically get if you raise a Digimon as best as possible.

Can't forget about that one Digimon mobile game (Crusader, I think) which just ripped pretty much all names straight from Wikimon. Frankly, I wish more official English media could've gone that route.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I don't have any hand-on experience with the V-pets, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't help wondering: were Viruses conceived as the Pendulums' answer to Numemon? I mean, you typically get them if you make a lot of care mistakes, and they've got a straight-up type disadvantage against Vaccines, the attribute you'll typically get if you raise a Digimon as best as possible.
I've never noticed that before; that each of the original Pendulums had 2 vaccine, 2 data, and 2 virus Adults/Perfects and one of each attribute Mega and that it was usually low care mistakes for Vaccine, high care mistakes for Virus, and middle ground for Data. There are quite a few outliers for the evolution conditions, though.

I don't know if they meant to imply a lore reason for it or if it was just easy to have a template for their coding/design team to follow as there's lots of examples of getting virus Digimon through ideal conditions in other v-pets and video games.

This is kind of ironic considering that 4 out of the 6 original Digital Monster v-pets gave you a virus Ultimate when performing the least care mistakes and most training.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It might actually be a bit hard to run Digimon. It's not like something like Disney or Nintendo where there's a lot to do. Bandai is doing well enough so no one needs to say much about that. ...Maybe a bit of English work but that's a small thing.