Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

Darklabo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
-Extra how dare you. (I actually just hate Fighter and Paladin mode. I think the designs are stupid. Paladin mode had a good backstory and anime appearances, but I think it's still kinda ugly.)
A friend of mine was fairly disappointed in the fact that Imperialdramon's Dragon Mode got shafted for a humanoid form. I kinda find myself agreeing with him, especially when you consider how the Ultimate level grew ridiculously over-saturated with humanoids in the time since 02.
I don’t blame Imperialdramon Fighter Mode for that, but I guess I could have liked the idea of Dragon Mode evolving straight up into Paladin Mode without Fighter Mode acting as a transition form.
Maybe they could also give it’s own Super Ultimate to Imperialdramon DM.
Eh. I think he’s kinda pointless, he appear literally 5 minutes after Vanilla Ulforce’s first appearance and just one-shot the final boss.
Good point. Zeromaru as an Aero V-dramon was already slaughtering Ultimates left and right, and he only JUST evolved into Ulforce V-dramon to take out Arcadimon in his Super Ultimate form. But then, just because Demon suddenly returns and becomes a Super Ultimate himself, it's as if Zeromaru's newly acquired Ultimate form had immediately become completely pointless and he couldn't take on THIS Super Ultimate without evolving yet again?

Regardless, I would like to see Future Mode see some usage in the franchise once more. Still kinda surprise it didn't appear in Hacker's Memory, given how much that game revolved around Arcadimon, and even seemed to have some involvement from V-Tamer's mangaka (also kinda helps that Cyber Sleuth seemingly reintroduced the Super Ultimate terminology for more recent media). For that matter, I was thinking they could've taken the opportunity to expand on that dimension's Ulforce V-dramon (who was presumed to be unceremoniously killed off in the first Cyber Sleuth), but alas, that wasn't to be the case.
Agreed.
Personally, I would like all of those powered-up Super Ultimate forms (UlForceVeedramon FM, Dukemon CM, Imperialdramon PM, Omegamon MM...) to make a few more appearances.
UlForceVeedramon FM has probably the worst treatment of them all since he isn’t even used for gameplay reasons.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watched Mazinger Zero's op attacks. I really want Imperialdramon Fighter Mode X to base on that. Knowing my opinions might be unpopular because they never give 02 partners X forms besides Magnamon X was just lucky for being a member of Royal Knight.

Also I wondered why even after Imperialdramon Paladin Mode finally re-appear few more times yet he managed to be somewhat forgettable?! I thought he is only memorable for having 1st oldest card of his with 900 attack point and unique power of Omega blade that is different from Omegamon's sword and few other things to mention...

Jeez

Illu

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He’s fat.
Adds to his charm.
His design make a lot more sense than Ulforce, Imo.
I understand, it does seem like a natural progression from Paildramon, and AeroVeedramon to Ulforce is the same thing as MetalGrey to WarGrey. It really doesn't make sense, but we accept it anyway.
He’s a badass dragon warrior with sick bat wings and a super belly-canon.
I actually have major problems with this. I think his Batwings look wimpy and weak, and true enough I makes him unique and gives him flair, but I think it's ugly and unfitting for a Dragon warrior. Plus, I think they screwed up when making Paladin mode's wings. They look like untextured angel wings. I also think the Belly cannon is stupid looking. It's weird and adds to the clunkiness of the Overall design.
Eh. I think he’s kinda pointless, he appear literally 5 minutes after Vanilla Ulforce’s first appearance and just one-shot the final boss.
True enough. I think it's kinda cool, but I understand how narratively, it's an extremely flawed appearance.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Plus, I think they screwed up when making Paladin mode's wings. They look like untextured angel wings.
On one hand, potentially giving Paladin Mode angel wings does almost seem like an oversight. But on the other hand, I actually think the pure white dragon wings look pretty nice. Plus, it's not as if there's even remotely a shortage of angel wings among Digimon. Even Omegamon got them with its Merciful Mode.

Illu

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Plus, I think they screwed up when making Paladin mode's wings. They look like untextured angel wings.
On one hand, potentially giving Paladin Mode angel wings does almost seem like an oversight. But on the other hand, I actually think the pure white dragon wings look pretty nice. Plus, it's not as if there's even remotely a shortage of angel wings among Digimon. Even Omegamon got them with its Merciful Mode.

It's not much a problem with it looking like angel wings, I just don't like how they look untextured and unfinished. Although, I doubt actual angel wings would have been better. In my opinion, batlike wings only work on the more Beastial Digimon, like Canowiessmon or IP Dragonmode. (Anyone else shorthand it to IP Dragon mode? I can't be the only one.)
Plus, it's not as if there's even remotely a shortage of angel wings among Digimon. Even Omegamon got them with its Merciful Mode.
AND THERE'S THE OTHER GUY WHO'S WINGS I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH! I AM STARTING TO SEE A CORRELATION.

Darklabo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mazinger Zero's op attacks. I really want Imperialdramon Fighter Mode X to base on that. Knowing my opinions might be unpopular because they never give 02 partners X forms besides Magnamon X was just lucky for being a member of Royal Knight.

Also I wondered why even after Imperialdramon Paladin Mode finally re-appear few more times yet he managed to be somewhat forgettable?! I thought he is only memorable for having 1st oldest card of his with 900 attack point and unique power of Omega blade that is different from Omegamon's sword and few other things to mention...

Jeez
He’s also one of the only three Digimon of the TCG with 16000DP, and the first of them.

And the strongest Digimon of the Pendulum Ver.20th Anniversary, despite the presence of newer powerhouses like Alphamon Ouryuken and Susanoomon.
He’s fat.
Adds to his charm.
AeroVeedramon looks stupid and terrible at flying.
Not to mention, just adding wings to the evolution is a really boring design choice.
His design make a lot more sense than Ulforce, Imo.
I understand, it does seem like a natural progression from Paildramon, and AeroVeedramon to Ulforce is the same thing as MetalGrey to WarGrey. It really doesn't make sense, but we accept it anyway.
He’s a badass dragon warrior with sick bat wings and a super belly-canon.
I actually have major problems with this. I think his Batwings look wimpy and weak, and true enough I makes him unique and gives him flair, but I think it's ugly and unfitting for a Dragon warrior. Plus, I think they screwed up when making Paladin mode's wings. They look like untextured angel wings. I also think the Belly cannon is stupid looking. It's weird and adds to the clunkiness of the Overall design.
And I think the bat wings improve his already great design by making him looks like some sort of dark dragon warrior as opposed to Omegamon’s holy design.
The wings are big enough, so they doesn’t look weak at all, I don’t understand how you can think that.
The belly canon is another nice touch which once again give an unique feeling to his design and serve as a smart reminder to his dragon form like the T-Rex head often become the belly of a Megazord.
And the angel wings are just a trend for high-tier Digimon and amplify the idea that he became a Holy Knight, another thing UlForceVeedramon is missing.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I might have an unpopular Royal Knights ranking (ordered):

9Xg6O05.jpeg

shynely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The wings are big enough, so they doesn’t look weak at all, I don’t understand how you can think that.

Might be how they're just really narrow relative to the overall size of his wingspan.

HnX2gPV.jpg

(arrows are edited in)

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I might have an unpopular Royal Knights ranking (ordered):

9Xg6O05.jpeg
I'd put Ulforce Up with Great and bump Jesmon down with Dynasmon.

But yes, Dynasmon is definitely the worst Royal Knight. It's just such a redundant design, especially since the superior Ulforce looks so dang similar to it.

So many of the RK are dragon knights simply because they're protagonist partners who are usually dragons.

There's no reason for Dynasmon to be another Dragon Knight cluttering that up when he was designed as an antagonist. I literally wish I could swap him with Bloom Lordmon.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
..You know, that would work. Plus they might fit well with Rhodoknightmon since Dynasmon was with them in Frontier.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd put Ulforce Up with Great and bump Jesmon down with Dynasmon.

But yes, Dynasmon is definitely the worst Royal Knight. It's just such a redundant design, especially since the superior Ulforce looks so dang similar to it.
this may be because I haven't read V-Tamer but Ulforce doesn't have a strong personality in medias I see with the Royal Knights like Gallantmon always does so I just see him as dragon clutter and his speed feels like it's already represented with Sleipmon.
Bracelet swords and cape wing are also weird

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd ditch either Magnamon or Ulforce. Between them and Imperialdramon Paladin Mode being the founder, the Royal Knights have way too much association with Veemon and its related species.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ditch both magnamon and dynasmon they don't have weapons

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish there was at least one Insectoid Royal Knight.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd ditch either Magnamon or Ulforce. Between them and Imperialdramon Paladin Mode being the founder, the Royal Knights have way too much association with Veemon and its related species.
Granted, Zeromaru was originally implied to be an Agumon that ended up evolving in an unusual manner. Even if V-mon to V-dramon seems obvious, it only seems like in recent years that they've really been pushing it as "this is absolutely, undoubtedly a 'canon' evolution line" (particularly with V.V.).

And I think I brought this somewhere before, but V-mon itself is pretty unusual. It seems like it was meant to be a throwback to the manga's main protagonist Digimon, yet it goes completely off the rails when it comes time for it to perform a non-Armor evolution (probably because Bandai hoped to make Jogress a big deal during the 02 era).

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You can ditch Gankoomon as well by this logic
that's where he tricks you. He seems empty handed until he picks up the street itself and smacks you with it, his stand beats you up, or he uses the most effective weapon known to latin kind: la chancla

Miragecoordinator

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The fandom gives Maki Himekawa far more flak than she deserves. She should undoubtedly be criticized for her actions but I've seen people talk like she is the root of all evil in the Digital World. Besides, I appreciate that she is a very well-written villain, probably one of the best-written ones of Digimon.

Appmon was a a bold and underrated attempt to redefine Digimon for today. As much as people may not want to hear this, leaning into nostalgia alone is not going to be good for Digimon in the long run. I believe that if we had smartphones and their apps in 1999, Adventure would have been very similar to Appmon.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon was a a bold and underrated attempt to redefine Digimon for today. As much as people may not want to hear this, leaning into nostalgia alone is not going to be good for Digimon in the long run. I believe that if we had smartphones and their apps in 1999, Adventure would have been very similar to Appmon.
I won’t say anything about Maki since I’m not fond of how Tri was handled in general but completely agreed on this.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Appmon part is pretty accurate. I thought it was pretty fun how it was. Though I did wish they had a girl MC Appmon. Plus Ai was more important then any other named character.