Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, Japan loves Disney.
you can replace Japan with dozens of countries and this statement would remain true.

When it comes to the Royal Knights I think the one I appreciate the most is Gankoomon due to being a lot more like a fellow person who displays a lot of humanity and presenting himself a lot more personally as opposed to the DC comic book or Greek figure-esque feeling the other knights are presented with.
I feel like this is why a lot of people like the Olympos XII more, because they're way easier to envision happening to come across and living amongst the people (some mixed examples being Bacchusmon spending a lot of time hosting grand revels, Ceresmon being seen in the skies as its own flying landmass, Marsmon always wanting to duke it out with others, Mercurymon constantly running across the land as he hates to stay in one place, and Vulcanusmon who is known to do business with those who are not gods such as crafting Beelzemon his signature guns).
Even though Gankoomon is yet another dragon man to an extent, presenting him as more human and giving him a background where he serves the people on an upfront personal level is so refreshing among emotionless looking mechs and knights who stay "mysterious" and "hidden" (yet still manage to have people constantly call them overused and too focused on). I also appreciate how he's not a Bancho member yet is still very much a mature manly man who fits the look and personality of a bancho perfectly among the Royal Knights anyway. Dude even has a 「Stand」.

Considering I rarely ever see Gankoomon get the love I have for him from others, I'm considering this an unpopular opinion (and I guess it can be seen as a rant as nobody asked lol). Best knight

Last edited:
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is better than Pokemon.
Thats not an unpopular opinion, its an unpopular fact.
Though part of that lies in the fact that Digimon is fairly niche, and thus doesnt have to please everyone while ultimately pleasing no one.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is better than Pokemon.
Thats not an unpopular opinion, its an unpopular fact.
Though part of that lies in the fact that Digimon is fairly niche, and thus doesnt have to please everyone while ultimately pleasing no one.
No it's an opinion. He said he thinks it's better. Not that he thinks it's more popular or thinks it sold more

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
the Nintendo DS Digimon Story era is my favorite art style for Digimon designs The Coronamon line, the Lunamon line, and all of the original enemies made for the DS Story games all strike a great balance between simplicity, detail, and a sort of roundness and blockiness that's hard for me to put into words

NTDum2

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Ruki had won the championship and Ryo had loss, the events of Tamers would still remain somewhat similar, aside from the partner swap and role switch on the characters (oh and Ryo wouldnt be so eager to fight Takato´ s Guilmon? Or would he?)

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Ruki had won the championship and Ryo had loss, the events of Tamers would still remain somewhat similar, aside from the partner swap and role switch on the characters (oh and Ryo wouldnt be so eager to fight Takato´ s Guilmon? Or would he?)
Ryo was already partners with Cyberdramon before the tournament.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, they met right after Ryo defeated Ruki, according to "Message in the Packet."

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, they met right after Ryo defeated Ruki, according to "Message in the Packet."
Is that canon to the Ryo games, though? Ryo’s kind of off in some weird little universe of personal canon by himself, and in that context does the last Ryo game take place before or after Tamers?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Despite attempts to shoehorn Ryo into the anime, the plot of the games doesn't really make sense in the context of Tamers. The most obvious difficulty is Ryo having parents in the Tamers universe. But I guess you can consider it the same Ryo if you want. Konaka just didn't see them as the same character.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Despite attempts to shoehorn Ryo into the anime, the plot of the games doesn't really make sense in the context of Tamers. The most obvious difficulty is Ryo having parents in the Tamers universe. But I guess you can consider it the same Ryo if you want. Konaka just didn't see them as the same character.
the producers above him stated that he was the same character though tbf and producers tend to get to decide things over writers.

Can just say Ryo was adopted in Tamers. (unless they have the same exact designs?)

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is the same Ryou.

Konaka would only get Tamers if he put Ryou in the show. He initially didn't want to but he did it anyways. (Hence why he feels so extremely out of place cause Konaka didn't really want him.)