Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wrote this elsewhere, but here goes...

Honestly, while Lopmon is "cute", I dislike it being shoehorned as a default line for Cherubimon in practically every incarnation of the franchise. Sure, the same could be said for Salamon and Patamon, but Lopmon seems like a natural pair to Terriermon, that gets forced into the Holy Angel family of Digimon. While this is just Tamers specific, SaintGargomon, while probably inspired by a Saint Bernard (dog), seems like a quasi tie-in to Cherubimon. I'd honestly rather him than SlashAngemon, but that's another story.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While I actually like Zubamon, it seems like 90% of the fanbase is out to get him and his Digivolution line. (Not that I can't see why though.) I just hope that the 25th anniversary Digimon doesn't suffer the same fate.

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While I actually like Zubamon, it seems like 90% of the fanbase is out to get him and his Digivolution line. (Not that I can't see why though.) I just hope that the 25th anniversary Digimon doesn't suffer the same fate.
I see Zubamon's evolution line to be strictly worse than Hackmon's aesthetically. Durandamon and Jesmon are both trying to be anniversary sword dragons but why was Jesmon made first and look tons better? I like Zubamon and yellow is my favorite color but god Durandamon looks silly when it's trying to look cool

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ver.4 does have a lot of odd ones, but I can't say all of it is unprecedented. Cockatrimon, especially, is brought up in Piyomon's profile as a potential evolution (ironically, even Piyomon's original Digital Monster profile brings up its potential evolution to Birdramon, even though that wasn't available to it due to being introduced earlier in Ver.2). Coelamon's arms seem rather reminiscent of Palmon's, while the tuft on top of Mojyamon's head seems like a callback to Palmon's flower. And I could probably see Kuwagamon relating to both Piyomon due to the two of them being winged, and to Palmon because of the close relationship plants and insects seem to share in Digimon, often being put in the same "nature" category (also, I can't help picturing this image of a bug pollinating Palmon's head only to gain its consciousness and power.... incidentally, the Palmon>Kuwagamon evolution did get used again at least as recently as Cyber Sleuth).
I suppose. I still think ver 4 was mostly made up of "leftovers" before they moved onto the more thematic designs of the Pendulum series (and that ver 5 was a canceled Godzilla licensed product they re-did the art for at the last second).

In some ways, Piyomon and Palmon's inclusion Ver 4 seemed like a half-hearted attempt to see if the Digimon franchise had potential gender crossover appeal (as Tamagotchi did for a brief moment) - but they only did Child forms and were too wary of making all of the Ver 4 Digimon girl-appeal characters.

That might even be why Nanimon and DigiTamamon are the hidden characters in Ver 4.
Hmm… could this mean Tailmon, Angewomon, LadyDevimon, and Holydramon (possibly even Syakomon) were designed for the Version 4 before being moved to S due to being too wary of feminine appeal on a mainline release?

Kotekuma

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I don't know if this came to mind because the last card game set or so has been so god damn boring with its artwork, but I miss fields. In Hyper Colosseum, it's actually pretty neat how they managed to incorporate each of the different Pendulums (plus some originals like Unknown and Dark Area) AND convey them through a simple background (though they'd later start to include emblems). Incidentally, I wonder if we could've gotten new fields introduced through the Vital Bracelet. Impulse City seems like it'd be a good field for electrical and sports-themed Digimon, while Blizzard Fang could finally separate ice Digimon from Deep Savers (guess it's also worth noting that Cyber Sleuth incorporated Justice Genome and, bizarrely enough, the Xros Loader's Primal Troopers).
I agree but there aren’t enough of certain Digimon Types to support many fields.

Wind Guardians, Deep Savers, and Jungle Troopers are fairly rare.

Metal Empire is abundant but has few lv 3s which is why the tcg pads it out with Agumon, Gabumon, Commandramon each set, and a few mineral Digimon.

They didn’t leave a lot of ice Digimon out of Blizzard Fang.

It feels like nearly all new Digimon are Dragon’s Roar and/or Nature Spirits (and in particular the Animal Colosseum subtype).

There’s a reason beyond Battle Spirits that Wind Guardians and Deep Savers were essentially liquidated and spread among the other six fields/colors.
I agree.

My particular grievance is that we never got a proper one-to-one relationship between fields, main species types and elements. . We have 8 main recurring fields and elements. Digimon Story, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Hyper Colosseum, and Digimon Next all seem to follow the same eight. But the lore of the 10 legendary warriors doesn't fit this.

Now, I don't particularly need a one-one relationship... but it does seem that the Ice element doesn't get it's own groupings enough. For example, Ice is the only element left out of Digi-egg groups. Overall, I think this can be solved with the franchise more consistently recognizing Ice as a separate element from water and thunder and metal as separate elements.