Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

xyzt

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[The absence of a father figure] being more of a secondary thing and not something she broods over much is not that unrealistic.

...Ruki not being super affected [by her parents' divorce] can still be mostly in line with reality.

Lol, so in saying that Ruki's missing dad kinda-sorta matters but not primarily, you agree with me that Konaka saying it doesn't matter at all is wrong.

As per Konaka,

Rika's father-less family is not something I set up as a huge plot point.
As I researched urban elementary schools, I discovered a trend in the past few years that there were many single-parent or fatherless families. Her rather twisted personality is not in any way based off of her lack of a father figure

He just says that Ruki's twisted personality is not based on her missing father figure not that her father's absence doesn't matter to her at all. He just stated that Ruki's tomboyish aggressive personality was not influenced by her father's absence (being more influenced due to her mother) which is also what I was saying.

Last edited:

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As per Konaka,

As I researched urban elementary schools, I discovered a trend in the past few years that there were many single-parent or fatherless families. Her rather twisted personality is not in any way based off of her lack of a father figure

He just says that Ruki's twisted personality is not based on her missing father figure not that her father's absence doesn't matter to her at all. He just stated that Ruki's tomboyish aggressive personality was not influenced by her father's absence (being more influenced due to her mother) which is also what I was saying.

Lol, I know he said it. That he said it in the first place is why I criticized him.

He said the same thing about Jian being biracial in extremely xenophobic mono racial Japan: that it didn’t matter to his character development.

I can see Jian's heritage being a factor in his social isolation at school, but I don't mind it in regard to his character arc because most of his drama is wrapped up with his dad's involvement in Hypnos conspiracies while his personal issues are more directly tied to that one time he beat the snot out of kid in martial arts.

xyzt

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As per Konaka,

Lol, I know he said it. That he said it in the first place is why I criticized him.

And I am saying there is nothing wrong or unrealistic with what he said. That Ruki's tomboyishness has nothing to do with her father's absence is perfectly possible as I have already shown that most kids recover from their parent's divorce fast provided the environment post divorce is good, and Ruki had a healthy family environment with her mother not understanding her way of living being the only problem. (No financial difficulties for her parent, no coldness from her mother etc). That she thinks occasionally thinks about that from time to time doesn't mean her father's absence was an influence on her character.

Last edited:

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I am saying there is nothing wrong or unrealistic with what he said. That Ruki's tomboyishness has nothing to do with her father's absence is perfectly possible as I have already shown that most kids recover from their parent's divorce fast provided the environment post divorce is good, and Ruki had a healthy family environment with her mother not understanding her way of living being the only problem. (No financial difficulties for her parent, no coldness from her mother etc). That she thinks occasionally thinks about that from time to time doesn't mean her father's absence was an influence on her character.

Now that we've gone full circle on this discussion, I think I ought to point out some of the underlying miscommunications between us that are getting in the way (e.g. you've taken my point that "Ruki's dad should matter to her character" to specifically mean "Ruki's dad should be responsible in some way for Ruki being a tomboy", which is not what I meant).

My original opinion stands, but since going into more detail would clog up the thread, if you'd like to continue this discussion please reach out in DMs.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
BloomLordmon doesn't have a unique design. It's just more of the same. Creating yet another Digimon for the sake of it.

In light of the recent A2020 credits, I could theoretically see it as Jogress of Rosemon and HerculesKabuterimon (It looks like a floral insectoid.).

But honestly, Digimon needs to take a break. Focus on particular phases of the franchise proper (ie. Armor etc.) and develop those accordingly.

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Xros Wars is the peak of the Digimon animated series while Cyber Sleuth is the top title when it comes to VG.

The Digimon animation department has been outstanding compared to other franchises from 1999 to 2011, exactly the moment in which Digimon videogames started being relevant mostly thanks to Habu Kazumasa.

I would appreciate more over the top designs like GraceNovamon or Ogudomon instead of several Omegamon Knight-esque over the years.

Digimon has the potential to become the franchise out there with the best lore and world building by far, but in the wrong hands it's all about wasted opportunities to really stand out.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hurricane Touchdown is the best movie in the Adventure canon

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He wants the franchise to die for a while a guess. No cards, no anime, no figure etc. Just have literally nothing. Wound rather you yourself take the break. Pretend it's dead.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanna say that was pretty much how the franchise was in the period between Savers and Xros Wars, though even then, there was still the occasional DS game to keep things going (but the Hyper Colosseum card game was mostly dead by that point*). I would be all for giving Digimon ADVENTURE a break, though. Feels like they've been whoring out the same group of 8 kids and their Digimon in some way, shape, or form non-stop ever since the PSP game.

*EDIT: Oh right, I forgot there was Card Game Alpha, too. But yeah, I recall the franchise was still mostly dormant during that period.

Ultimamon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Skullgreymon is way cooler then Metalgreymon (and should get it's own ultimate form).

Likewise, Megidramon > Dukemon. And they should have kept Duskmon over Lowemon.

In fact all the Anime's Dark Evolutions were better.

humon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dunno about "unpopular", but I'd like to see more of the Xros Wars fusions added to the Digimon Reference Book as legitimate Digimon in their own right, with official Bandai art to match.
The Reference book has been good at creating a "null canon" interpretation for Armor, Jogress, Spirit Evolution etc, but Xros forms are relegated to one-off anime appearances from a decade ago, and that's unfair.

Let's see MadLeomon Orochi Mode and Xros Up Submarimon (Plesiomon) and all the other fusions given their turn in the spotlight!

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
here's an unpopular opinion: the Xros Wars digimon not in the reference book I'd be most happy to see added is Apollomon Whispered

humon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
here's an unpopular opinion: the Xros Wars digimon not in the reference book I'd be most happy to see added is Apollomon Whispered
It's crazy that it's not!

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But honestly, Digimon needs to take a break.
break from what?

Allow itself to find a sure footing when it comes to anime adaptations.

Pokemon, regardless of what one may think of it, has a basic formula. There are some additional formulas featured in the show like the various beauty contests, rangers etc., but the formula of being a pokémon master trainer remains the cornerstone of the franchise.

Digimon has a lot of good source material from, IMHO, Adventure through Frontier. 02, IMHO, had the potential for greatness, but tried to do too much with the franchise in so limited a space. It wanted to include the original team, have a rogue Chosen Child, feature an Ancient Form of evolution (Armor), go into the origins of the Digital World (Cody's father, the Four Sovereigns etc.), a novel formula of achieving Ultimate (Jogress), multiple realms, international digidestined etc. These are all great concepts, but they're a bit much for one series. Honestly, strange as it may sound coming from me, I was PSYCHED when 02 came out. It was the first time I collected practically ALL lead character merchandise. But as the series progressed, it seemed over saturated.

So, for me, I think Digimon as a franchise would benefit from a collective reboot before introducing yet another series. Perhaps limiting certain mons to particular franchises in place of them being part of one pan franchise with poor world building.

This is more fanon, but I'd be perfectly fine with the 02 Chosen Children being retconned as the original team of digidestined, with Oikawa being numbered among them. Ken could be a young Oikawa and Cody could replace his dad.Davis and Yolei can remain the same, and if they're keen on it, add a new female protagonist. I honestly believe that 02 had the potential to be greater than the original Adventure.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I don't know if this came to mind because the last card game set or so has been so god damn boring with its artwork, but I miss fields. In Hyper Colosseum, it's actually pretty neat how they managed to incorporate each of the different Pendulums (plus some originals like Unknown and Dark Area) AND convey them through a simple background (though they'd later start to include emblems). Incidentally, I wonder if we could've gotten new fields introduced through the Vital Bracelet. Impulse City seems like it'd be a good field for electrical and sports-themed Digimon, while Blizzard Fang could finally separate ice Digimon from Deep Savers (guess it's also worth noting that Cyber Sleuth incorporated Justice Genome and, bizarrely enough, the Xros Loader's Primal Troopers).

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I don't know if this came to mind because the last card game set or so has been so god damn boring with its artwork, but I miss fields. In Hyper Colosseum, it's actually pretty neat how they managed to incorporate each of the different Pendulums (plus some originals like Unknown and Dark Area) AND convey them through a simple background (though they'd later start to include emblems). Incidentally, I wonder if we could've gotten new fields introduced through the Vital Bracelet. Impulse City seems like it'd be a good field for electrical and sports-themed Digimon, while Blizzard Fang could finally separate ice Digimon from Deep Savers (guess it's also worth noting that Cyber Sleuth incorporated Justice Genome and, bizarrely enough, the Xros Loader's Primal Troopers).
I agree but there aren’t enough of certain Digimon Types to support many fields.

Wind Guardians, Deep Savers, and Jungle Troopers are fairly rare.

Metal Empire is abundant but has few lv 3s which is why the tcg pads it out with Agumon, Gabumon, Commandramon each set, and a few mineral Digimon.

They didn’t leave a lot of ice Digimon out of Blizzard Fang.

It feels like nearly all new Digimon are Dragon’s Roar and/or Nature Spirits (and in particular the Animal Colosseum subtype).

There’s a reason beyond Battle Spirits that Wind Guardians and Deep Savers were essentially liquidated and spread among the other six fields/colors.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
break from what?

Pokemon, regardless of what one may think of it, has a basic formula. There are some additional formulas featured in the show like the various beauty contests, rangers etc., but the formula of being a pokémon master trainer remains the cornerstone of the franchise.

Digimon has a lot of good source material from, IMHO, Adventure through Frontier. 02, IMHO, had the potential for greatness, but tried to do too much with the franchise in so limited a space. It wanted to include the original team, have a rogue Chosen Child, feature an Ancient Form of evolution (Armor), go into the origins of the Digital World (Cody's father, the Four Sovereigns etc.), a novel formula of achieving Ultimate (Jogress), multiple realms, international digidestined etc. These are all great concepts, but they're a bit much for one series. Honestly, strange as it may sound coming from me, I was PSYCHED when 02 came out. It was the first time I collected practically ALL lead character merchandise. But as the series progressed, it seemed over saturated.

So, for me, I think Digimon as a franchise would benefit from a collective reboot before introducing yet another series. Perhaps limiting certain mons to particular franchises in place of them being part of one pan franchise with poor world building.

This is more fanon, but I'd be perfectly fine with the 02 Chosen Children being retconned as the original team of digidestined, with Oikawa being numbered among them. Ken could be a young Oikawa and Cody could replace his dad.Davis and Yolei can remain the same, and if they're keen on it, add a new female protagonist. I honestly believe that 02 had the potential to be greater than the original Adventure.
That actually seems like a good assessment of where 02 went wrong. A lot of its ideas seem pretty good on its own, but from everything I've heard, 02 fell victim to having too many cooks in the kitchen. EVERYONE wanted to bring in their own take on expanding the well-received Adventure, and as a result, each of their takes ended up going practically nowhere.

On another note, I really don't think they did a great job of making Jogress seem somewhat worth more than a neat gimmick. I mean, cool, they wanna breathe some new life into a Pendulum feature that's been barely glossed over...... except that the need to combine two Digimon is being used just to get Perfects, a level so un-special that all eight of the original Chosen Children could achieve it (albeit with a ton of progression roadblocking via the Crests). Even worse is that Jogress needed to be acheived while involving two of the original children whose Digimon could already evolve to that stage...... so they go out of their way to bring up this whole plot point about giving up the power of Crests well after the Dark Towers should've stopped making standard evolution an issue. And then when Perfect evolutions can be done again, they just........ kinda make Angewomon and HolyAngemon suck against the Demon Corps, I guess (nevermind that Angewomon killed LadyDevimon before). If you ask me, they really should've just had all three Jogress Digimon achieve their Ultimate forms, as there were increasingly more Ultimate Digimon that could be showcased as enemies (especially with the D-3 bosses, of which all of them were cast aside except BlackWarGreymon).

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
break from what?

That actually seems like a good assessment of where 02 went wrong. A lot of its ideas seem pretty good on its own, but from everything I've heard, 02 fell victim to having too many cooks in the kitchen. EVERYONE wanted to bring in their own take on expanding the well-received Adventure, and as a result, each of their takes ended up going practically nowhere.

On another note, I really don't think they did a great job of making Jogress seem somewhat worth more than a neat gimmick. I mean, cool, they wanna breathe some new life into a Pendulum feature that's been barely glossed over...... except that the need to combine two Digimon is being used just to get Perfects, a level so un-special that all eight of the original Chosen Children could achieve it (albeit with a ton of progression roadblocking via the Crests). Even worse is that Jogress needed to be acheived while involving two of the original children whose Digimon could already evolve to that stage...... so they go out of their way to bring up this whole plot point about giving up the power of Crests well after the Dark Towers should've stopped making standard evolution an issue. And then when Perfect evolutions can be done again, they just........ kinda make Angewomon and HolyAngemon suck against the Demon Corps, I guess (nevermind that Angewomon killed LadyDevimon before). If you ask me, they really should've just had all three Jogress Digimon achieve their Ultimate forms, as there were increasingly more Ultimate Digimon that could be showcased as enemies (especially with the D-3 bosses, of which all of them were cast aside except BlackWarGreymon).
I agree with this.

Honestly, I think the concept of them being Ancient Digimon would have been the appropriate emphasis as to why they couldn't achieve higher forms through ordinary means. Something in their coding not allowing for it, though this becomes an issue when Patamon and Gatomon are counted amongst the Digimon capable of Ancient Armor evolution...

The inclusion of Ken as a quasi OG bugs me, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

I honestly despised the detour that was Arukenimon, Mummymon, and BlackWarGreymon. Of course digimon are autonomous beings with free will, but I believe that Arukenimon and Mummymon would have been better as partner digimon. Who those partners would be, I don't know. But making them assume quasi human form was bizarre.

BlackWarGreymon was boring. He was basically just a recolor building on Greymon fanboys. It wasn't remotely interesting, because again, what makes digimon interesting are the human-digimon bonds. That plot would have been better reserved for Chimeramon, and by extension, they could have introduced Millenniumon that way to lasso in Ryo.

Boom!

TheMatrix

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I prefer Mimis Singing in the American dub then ''I Wish''. Yes I am serious about what I just wrote.