Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since a lot of people seem to like doing it, I think a group of "evil digidesitned", or the main kids themselves "turn evil and get evil evolutions" would be really bad.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since a lot of people seem to like doing it, I think a group of "evil digidesitned", or the main kids themselves "turn evil and get evil evolutions" would be really bad.
I think conflict between two groups with different ideals would be fine. But “evil” would indeed be awful.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Any particular reason? Digimon-wielding human antagonists aren't exactly an uncommon concept for this franchise. And they don't have to be evil, just misguided.

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this does remind me how I was thinking the other day how virus attribute Digimon still feel underutilized in the anime main character squads. I want to see a human and digimon partnership who love destruction but are still a great friend to the other characters and have their heart in the right place. Virus type protagonist done right similar to Guilmon but with more emphasis on Dark Area themes

speaking of kids with positively depicted virus partners, I was also thinking earlier how lame it was that we got BlitzGreymon in a perfect episode to get HerculesKabuterimon in the new Adventure: anime but BlitzGreymon hasn't appeared at all again. What was the hecking point?? I really don't want to sit through another back to back block of episodes where every kid gets their evolution just because they have to, it feels inorganic and cheap rather than having them come at spread out, good character moments. Moreso "hey, I wrote an episode where this character shines, let's give an evolution" rather than "we need an evolution, let's contruct this episode entirely around this character"
Honestly, I don't know how I see Tai and Matt's relationship
they're boyfriends

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're boyfriends

There is nothing implied about there being anything romantic between them.

It's just the nature of the Adventure team as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I like that there is someone for every member of the fandom to identify with, but that everyone in the core cast are friends, and remain so is unrealistic. Not saying it can't and doesn't happen, but I think 02 and Tri could have been handled differently if the emphasis had been on those Chosen Children that freely chose to still be involved with the Digital World. If they wanted to do a proper send off, Kizuna would have been the film to feature all of them united again, for one last adventure as a team. It would have probably made the Mega evolutions feel more meaningful, and should they have pursued the Bond forms for everyone, those too (Perhaps a two part film?). They could have still kept the ending for Kizuna, with the hope of them finding each other anew.

But yeah, unpopular opinion, the Chosen Children remaining such close friends seems unrealistic.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're boyfriends

The first Tri. film is laced with scenes that could be taken in a ship-y manner - most notably the Ferris Wheel scene, as two people riding one together is a stock romantic date trope in Japan.
Furthermore, there is barely more in the original Japanese shipping Tai and Sora as there is Tai and Matt, and yet you’ve defended that ship to death.
People have their ships, and that’s fine. I don’t even think having them should qualify as an ‘unpopular opinion’, because it’s a personal thing.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're boyfriends

It's just the nature of the Adventure team as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I like that there is someone for every member of the fandom to identify with, but that everyone in the core cast are friends, and remain so is unrealistic. Not saying it can't and doesn't happen, but I think 02 and Tri could have been handled differently if the emphasis had been on those Chosen Children that freely chose to still be involved with the Digital World. If they wanted to do a proper send off, Kizuna would have been the film to feature all of them united again, for one last adventure as a team. It would have probably made the Mega evolutions feel more meaningful, and should they have pursued the Bond forms for everyone, those too (Perhaps a two part film?). They could have still kept the ending for Kizuna, with the hope of them finding each other anew.

But yeah, unpopular opinion, the Chosen Children remaining such close friends seems unrealistic.
See I think that's something that was handled quite well.

Naturally, sharing an experience like Digimon Adventure is going to forge strong bonds between the kids. In 02, even though they're a bit more spread out, they still set aside Odaiba Day every year to meet up. Not dissimilar to how army vets might have an annual meetup. The fact that they even have this day is evidence that they don't always get to see eachother.

This kept up until at least Tri (what with is being the premise of the Stage Play), and even by then, they were struggling to schedule meetups.
And by Kizuna, the idea had been brought to it's natural conclusion. One of the major themes was the group drifting apart as their lives developed, both human and Digimon. That even an incredibly meaningful relationship might have to end as your lives go in separate directions.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're boyfriends

The first Tri. film is laced with scenes that could be taken in a ship-y manner - most notably the Ferris Wheel scene, as two people riding one together is a stock romantic date trope in Japan.
Furthermore, there is barely more in the original Japanese shipping Tai and Sora as there is Tai and Matt, and yet you’ve defended that ship to death.
People have their ships, and that’s fine. I don’t even think having them should qualify as an ‘unpopular opinion’, because it’s a personal thing.
I don't think I've defended that ship to the extent that you're under the impression that I have.

I sincerely thought Tai and Sora were actually a couple, because of how the dub presented their relationship. Matt supposedly being Tai's best friend, and swooping in to be with Sora, both of whom confided in him, would be a pretty douchey move on his part.

That's as far as I went with it.

Personally, I don't care for Matt as a character. I could never really get invested in him OR TK. I don't know why, as I think the virtues assigned to both are important, but something about how they're written makes me ambivalent towards them. I love Gabumon and Matt, but I don't care for Matt as a character on his own. While I like the Angemon line, we never spend enough time with him and TK to really warrant much of a relationship. Kari is paired with an angel, was introduced much later, and yet she's a more fully fleshed character.

they're boyfriends

Naturally, sharing an experience like Digimon Adventure is going to forge strong bonds between the kids. In 02, even though they're a bit more spread out, they still set aside Odaiba Day every year to meet up. Not dissimilar to how army vets might have an annual meetup. The fact that they even have this day is evidence that they don't always get to see eachother.

This kept up until at least Tri (what with is being the premise of the Stage Play), and even by then, they were struggling to schedule meetups.
And by Kizuna, the idea had been brought to it's natural conclusion. One of the major themes was the group drifting apart as their lives developed, both human and Digimon. That even an incredibly meaningful relationship might have to end as your lives go in separate directions.

See, I saw the initial setup in Tri a little differently, at least in retrospect.

Mimi may not have been my favorite growing up, but in reflecting on most of the characters, she and Joe are my favorites. Both of them managed to jave lives away from the core team. Mimi being away in America was a nice way of seeing her grow as a person. The same with Joe and his schooling. He wasn't conveniently walking around with the CC posee. Joe, at least what we see on screen, was grappling with his own issues. He's still struggling to achieve his dream to be a doctor, he now has a girlfriend (Would have been nice to feature that to some degree.) etc.

The other CC, in my opinion, seem to have remained quite insular within the group. Even the beginning of Kizuna seems to flat out stress that point. Tai, Matt, TK, Kari, and Izzy are the ones still involved with the Digital World, along with the 02 Crew.

I think, at least for me, that Tri could have culminated in Kizuna, instead of dragging out the Meicoomon issue for so long. I'd be on board for a reboot of both films if they did that. The transition from "Our bonds are forever! We'll always be the bestest of friends!" to... "So here's the thing...there's a final countdown that measures the dissolution of your Chosen Child Digimon partner bond! K thanks! Bye!" was jarring. Were they really so distant from one another that Sora couldn't communicate to the others that her bond with Biyomon had dissolved? Sora getting short shrift will always bother me, because the short doesn't address it at all. There's no encounter with Menoa demonstrating that difference in approach between them. But it also seems to imply that Sora learned nothing from Biyomon in Tri. Sora didn't reach out to anyone when she was going through her trial, she just keeps it to herself. Wasn't that the broader message of Tri, and by extension 02, you're never really alone if you're a digidestined and a part of the team?

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think conflict between two groups with different ideals would be fine. But “evil” would indeed be awful.
Yeah, as I keep saying, Digimon should be a franchise about humans taming a wide variety of monsters, monsters that can be dangerous but ultimately are morally neutral. It's bad enough that we've got several storylines (especially the anime), and even some Reference Book profiles, heavily implying that certain species are inherently evil or inherently good. Last thing we need are to have "dark evolution" forms springing up everywhere.

Fun fact: Devimon's original V-pet profiles talk about its devotion to its master (IOW, its Tamer). Since the Pendulums though, that part's been removed while a part about its hypnotic abilities got added.

this does remind me how I was thinking the other day how virus attribute Digimon still feel underutilized in the anime main character squads. I want to see a human and digimon partnership who love destruction but are still a great friend to the other characters and have their heart in the right place. Virus type protagonist done right similar to Guilmon but with more emphasis on Dark Area themes
Yeah, more heroic Viruses in general are sorely needed (I guess now BlitzGreymon and Omegamon Alter-S are sorta making up for the Adventure crew always lacking in that), but we ESPECIALLY could use a more benevolent outlook on the Nightmare Soldier/Dark Area types. Actually, not just Guilmon, but Impmon was also a pretty good portrayal of this. Granted, he didn't have a human partner (at least not until the very end and his role was already effectively done), and he did have to go through a redemption arc after being a straight-up villain for a time, but still probably the best thing the anime's given us in regards to good devils.

The games, on the other hand, have generally been way better about this. Even putting aside the gameplay and story segregation (you can raise up a whole team of apocalypse-bringers and nobody in-universe seems to care), there're entire Tamer organizations heavily focused around raising such Digimon (Black Sword from Digimon World 2 and Night Claw from the second Story games come to mind), and there is supposed to be a human partnered with a Dracumon whenever Digimon Survive manages to get released.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're boyfriends

I don't think I've defended that ship to the extent that you're under the impression that I have.

I sincerely thought Tai and Sora were actually a couple, because of how the dub presented their relationship. Matt supposedly being Tai's best friend, and swooping in to be with Sora, both of whom confided in him, would be a pretty douchey move on his part.

Personally, I don't care for Matt as a character. I could never really get invested in him OR TK. I don't know why, as I think the virtues assigned to both are important, but something about how they're written makes me ambivalent towards them. I love Gabumon and Matt, but I don't care for Matt as a character on his own. While I like the Angemon line, we never spend enough time with him and TK to really warrant much of a relationship. Kari is paired with an angel, was introduced much later, and yet she's a more fully fleshed character.

they're boyfriends

See, I saw the initial setup in Tri a little differently, at least in retrospect.

Mimi may not have been my favorite growing up, but in reflecting on most of the characters, she and Joe are my favorites. Both of them managed to jave lives away from the core team. Mimi being away in America was a nice way of seeing her grow as a person. The same with Joe and his schooling. He wasn't conveniently walking around with the CC posee. Joe, at least what we see on screen, was grappling with his own issues. He's still struggling to achieve his dream to be a doctor, he now has a girlfriend (Would have been nice to feature that to some degree.) etc.

The other CC, in my opinion, seem to have remained quite insular within the group. Even the beginning of Kizuna seems to flat out stress that point. Tai, Matt, TK, Kari, and Izzy are the ones still involved with the Digital World, along with the 02 Crew.

I think, at least for me, that Tri could have culminated in Kizuna, instead of dragging out the Meicoomon issue for so long. I'd be on board for a reboot of both films if they did that. The transition from "Our bonds are forever! We'll always be the bestest of friends!" to... "So here's the thing...there's a final countdown that measures the dissolution of your Chosen Child Digimon partner bond! K thanks! Bye!" was jarring. Were they really so distant from one another that Sora couldn't communicate to the others that her bond with Biyomon had dissolved? Sora getting short shrift will always bother me, because the short doesn't address it at all. There's no encounter with Menoa demonstrating that difference in approach between them. But it also seems to imply that Sora learned nothing from Biyomon in Tri. Sora didn't reach out to anyone when she was going through her trial, she just keeps it to herself. Wasn't that the broader message of Tri, and by extension 02, you're never really alone if you're a digidestined and a part of the team?
It's been a while since I've seen Tri, but I recall the core theme being the ennui of transitioning from childhood to adulthood. The phone call to Meiko was words to the effect of "always part of the team", but I just saw that as them trying to cheer her up, rather than being a thesis statement
As to Tai, Matt, TK, Kari and Izzy still being insular in Kizuna, you could rationalize that a few ways (both character based and form sheer fan-favoritism), but for the most part, we only see them doing plot relevant Digimon stuff, where naturally they would be together.

With Sora (again, a while since I've seen Tri) I thought her lesson was more about taking care of herself generally, rather than specifically being comfortable leaning on others, which her short does reflect in that she drops her CC responsibilities to focus on herself. I was disappointed with her lack of involvement too, but if you put any stock in TCG art being canon, she at least confided in Mimi off-screen.

As the for the countdown timer being jarring/sudden, this is very much my interpretation (and Adventure's magic system has always erred on the soft side), but Tai and Matt were struggling to make big life decisions, and were leaning on their CC roles as escapism/stability. The reason their timers kicked in, is because they needed those bonds to be severed to give them that final push. In that sense, the timer was emotionally reflective of their situation, rather than just being a random catalyst.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While people talk about Matt being Tai's best friend a lot, it feels like Izzy more naturally fits into that role.

This kind of leads me to a thought I’ve long held over the years. In that I personally feel Koushiro deserved his partner to reach Ultimate far more then Yamato did in the original Series.
Not only did he have an overall better dynamic with Taichi, but I think Heraklekabuterimon would have been much better received and utilised more then poor Metalgarurumon was. Japan loves its bugs after all, and he would have had the likes of Venomvamdemon and two Dark Masters to tussle with. Plus he just looks cool.
Obviously you’d have to rework things like the trigger for the Warp Evolutions, but it’s doable. Even ‘Our War Game’ allows for it to work with minimal changes. I’ve seen the odd fan design for Omegamon with alternate arms.

Of course I’m biased since I love Tentomon’s line. And for all the issues I have with Tri, Heraklekabuterimon’s debut (and brief fight with Mugendramon) was a highlight.

Something like 'Lupinranger versus Patranger' perhaps?

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're boyfriends

they're boyfriends

It's been a while since I've seen Tri, but I recall the core theme being the ennui of transitioning from childhood to adulthood. The phone call to Meiko was words to the effect of "always part of the team", but I just saw that as them trying to cheer her up, rather than being a thesis statement
As to Tai, Matt, TK, Kari and Izzy still being insular in Kizuna, you could rationalize that a few ways (both character based and form sheer fan-favoritism), but for the most part, we only see them doing plot relevant Digimon stuff, where naturally they would be together.

With Sora (again, a while since I've seen Tri) I thought her lesson was more about taking care of herself generally, rather than specifically being comfortable leaning on others, which her short does reflect in that she drops her CC responsibilities to focus on herself. I was disappointed with her lack of involvement too, but if you put any stock in TCG art being canon, she at least confided in Mimi off-screen.

As the for the countdown timer being jarring/sudden, this is very much my interpretation (and Adventure's magic system has always erred on the soft side), but Tai and Matt were struggling to make big life decisions, and were leaning on their CC roles as escapism/stability. The reason their timers kicked in, is because they needed those bonds to be severed to give them that final push. In that sense, the timer was emotionally reflective of their situation, rather than just being a random catalyst.

To be fair, I think Tri managed to do both. The issue is how long and drawn out it was which is what made it confusing as to what the overarching takeaway from it was supposed to be. The core CC may have been grappling with those issues, but Meiko was an outlier in that respect. Her story manages to take the story in a radically different direction. At least that's my take on it.

Funnily enough, I find it curious that those wanting a Dark Digimon partner don't quite see that in Meiko and Meicoomon. Her "crest"is Justice. She represents Wrath/Chaos in her altered states. More of a side note, but note how this is juxtaposed against Omnimon Merciful Mode. She (Meiko) triggers that evolution. I honestly wish they would have handled it in the way they did with Cherubimon in Hurricane Touchdown, but alas, I wasn't consulted for the film! :p

I think, IMO, Kizuna tried to reign in what got out of their control in Tri. To focus more on that ennui of getting older, which is why it was as drastic as it was in the transition for Tai and Matt.

Sora has always been sidelined in most of the films, and I don't have a plausible explanation for it. She's available, but doesn't get involved? Is there a deeper cultural significance for why Sora is treated that way? Mimi and Kari aren't, but Sora always falls into that trap. I really would like to know the thematic reason for it. Side note: I hold to a headcanon that Sora's line is thematically religious, but distinct from TK and Kari's line. Sure, her crest is a stylized heart, but it also looks like an Eye of Ra/Horus. That's further qualified through Halsemon, Sethmon, but also the general religious nature of Garudamon, Swanmon, and Houomon (I didn't include Aurumon, because he's a vague "owl", but maybe so is Swanmon...). So I wonder, if that's part of the reason she gets short shrift? Does Sora represent some tragic figure? That actually made me think of this:

crucifixionSalimbeni.pelican.oneThirdSize.jpg

It still brings things back to a religious motif behind Sora's line. So my unpopular opinon... Sora deserved better...

I could see how being a CC would be a form of escapism for say, Tai and by extension Izzy, though the latter was capable of building on that for his future. Tai, quite frankly, I think he "half-a$$ed"it. He sort of fell into being a diplomat to the Digital World.I have thoughts on Davis' noodle carts, but that's a discussion for another day. I never saw Matt divorced from reality in the same way. If anything, I always saw Matt being grounded in reality, and the one who managed to bring Tai back to it, even if Izzy had his moments as well.

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Izzy: *is the biggest key in saving the world from being nuked like 3 different times* *doesn't get Hercules Kabuterimon any of these times* how the hell does his digivice not consider him "knowledge"able enough to get a mega?

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sora has always been sidelined in most of the films, and I don't have a plausible explanation for it. She's available, but doesn't get involved? Is there a deeper cultural significance for why Sora is treated that way?
Her character arc went in a stupid direction that made her redundant. She started out as a tomboy but then caved to her mother and became a flat Yamato nadeshiko (stereotype of a perfect subservient Japanese housewife). Mimi already was the girly girl and Hikari is already the shy maiden so Sora becomes redundant and unnecessary in the group dynamic.

I’m relieved that didn’t happen to Ruki in Tamers.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was more into relation of "the Digidestined all turn evil and now their partners are the Demon Lords". so like, "Tai gets Creepymon, Kari gets Lilithmon" and so forth. It's super edgy and bad story telling IMO. If everyone gets a dark evo it's over kill

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And all this is part of why I stopped doing anything with shipping until Meiko existed. Those three are really a mess. The dub preferred one pair, the original was heading to another, the guys are the most popular non-het, so Meiko solves all. And I just like her. ...Sora probably could have gotten better. I always thought it was a bit weird.

JR9386

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And all this is part of why I stopped doing anything with shipping until Meiko existed. Those three are really a mess. The dub preferred one pair, the original was heading to another, the guys are the most popular non-het, so Meiko solves all. And I just like her. ...Sora probably could have gotten better. I always thought it was a bit weird.

Which is why I'm kinda weirded out that they kept it "all in the family" amongst the CC. I think the best way for them to build better relationships with the broader global community would be to have non-CC relationships slowly populate the world with partners from this seed group. Perhaps I'd be okay with one intra CC relationship, but I think on an organic level, it'd make more sense for these relationships to develop with people outside of the group.

Honestly, I want Tai to end up with someone who has NEVER had a Digimon partner, because it would provide a healthy balance and sense of normalcy for him.

Perhaps this isn't a popular opinion, but in spite of people citing Tai as hogging the attention from the other CC, I actually happen to find Tai likeable. I can't explain what it is about Tai, but he comes off both humble and genuine.

So these are my contributions for unpopular opinions.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as we know, only four of the twelve Chosen Children married within the group.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Perhaps this isn't a popular opinion, but in spite of people citing Tai as hogging the attention from the other CC, I actually happen to find Tai likeable. I can't explain what it is about Tai, but he comes off both humble and genuine.

I actually like Taichi fine in VTamer (where he’s your stanard isekai geek transported into his element) and 01 (where he does his best but puts too much pressure on himself and Agumon). It’s 2020 - where he has the “best” aspects of both earlier versions but none of their flaws - that’s boring.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We all just wish they were. There's only 2 canon relationships.